Author Topic: Millions of Honeybees Killed After South Carolina Mosquito Spraying To Prevent Spread of Zika Virus.  (Read 840 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I had to see if this was a legitimate story or satire or hoax.  I'm still a bit unsure but the Inquistr and few others are reporting it.
Millions of Honeybees Killed After South Carolina Mosquito Spraying To Prevent Spread of Zika Virus.

Millions of honeybees were killed in South Carolina this week after aerial spraying to kill mosquitoes known to carry the Zika virus took out the bees as well.

Juanita Stanley, the co-owner of Flowerton Bee Farm & Supplies in Summerville, South Carolina, told the Washington Post that she noticed something was amiss when she went to check on her bees and was met with silence.

None of the bees in her 46 hives survived the spraying, Stanley said. It not only killed millions of bees, it ended her livelihood.

Stanley said she and other beekeepers in Dorchester, South Carolina, are trying to come to grips with the loss after authorities sprayed Trumpet, which contains the pesticide naled, from a plane.

Continued: http://www.inquisitr.com/3477304/millions-of-honeybees-killed-after-south-carolina-mosquito-spraying-to-prevent-zika-virus/

Guardian reports: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/04/zika-mosquito-neurotoxin-kills-bees-livelihoods-beekeepers

US beekeepers fear for livelihoods as anti-Zika toxin kills 2.5m bees

So, it looks like this story rates NO Pinocchios.  True apparently, I'd love to be wrong.

And the price of honey? So far, just in SC apparently, so probably little effect.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:37:14 am by TomSea »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Screw the cost of honey, it's the crop pollination that we should be concerned with.

Offline Victoria33

Screw the cost of honey, it's the crop pollination that we should be concerned with.
@GtHawk

If there are no honeybees, there is no food.  It was Albert Einstein who said civilization would end when we kill the bees.
Honeybees are shipped by bee growers across the nation to pollinate our crops.  No bees, no producing crops. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 10:13:52 am by Victoria33 »