Author Topic: Scientists may have just found proof of a parallel universe leaking into our own  (Read 5590 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Changes in gravity cannot propagate faster than light.  If they could, then gravitational waves could be used for superluminal communication, which would, I believe, raise a number of ugly paradoxes.

Also, while light moves through space, it does so in much the way that other physical bodies do; space is not a "medium" for light the way, for example, that air or water are a medium for sound.
Now you're getting back to Huygens v. Newton: Is light composed of corpuscles (photons) or is it a waveform?

If gravity is a waveform, it should be able to be polarized, cross polarized (partially to completely cancelled out), focused, or dispersed. Wrap your head around the possibilities if you haven't already. Zero-g manufacturing on planet. The ability to explore huge planets (so long as heat wasn't a problem). The ability to lift to orbit any payload after overcoming the inertia of the mass involved. The ability to focus the gravity of a distant star on a ship and pull it through space....etc.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

HonestJohn

Gravitational changes cannot propagate faster than light.  The speed of light is a structural component of the space time continuum.

I looked it up.  You are right.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Gravitational changes cannot propagate faster than light.  The speed of light is a structural component of the space time continuum.
@HonestJohn

It is going to be quantum information sharing.

Spin systems, with their finite-dimensional Hilbert spaces, are ideal for studying the dynamics of entangled states. For the purpose of teleportation and other quantum protocols, maximally entangled channels provide quantum information transfer with very high fidelity; hence it is imperative that one should quantify the entanglement of a particular system or channel

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiZtvDcu4bPAhVIHGMKHUZxAZcQFghhMAc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fiopscience.iop.org%2Farticle%2F10.1088%2F1367-2630%2F15%2F1%2F013047%2Fmeta&usg=AFQjCNEQpb4nRDRmU9fgWCVmaPoTzVYlmA

I don't pretend to understand it all but it makes for some interesting reading.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Now you're getting back to Huygens v. Newton: Is light composed of corpuscles (photons) or is it a waveform?

The ability to focus the gravity of a distant star on a ship and pull it through space....etc.

Or a black hole. The rate they are finding brown dwarfs, etc. space is probably so littered with free range objects you would have to leave space to go through it.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

Or a black hole. The rate they are finding brown dwarfs, etc. space is probably so littered with free range objects you would have to leave space to go through it.
They will get it figured out. They've just been busy looking at the shiny things.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
They will get it figured out. They've just been busy looking at the shiny things.

Ah, like a cat. Always confused by the shiny thing.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Oceander

I looked it up.  You are right.

Shhh, don't tell my wife!!

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Yes, gravity could be used to communicate faster than light if we could find a way to do so.

That was actually part of the story to Interstellar.  How Cooper could communicate with Murph via the manipulation of gravity while he was in the middle of the black hole.

Excellent post. The concept of this sort of communication first came to my own awareness in reading Ursula K Leguin's SF writing. Her "Ecumenical" novels (Left Hand of Darkness, Word for World is Forest, The Wind's Twelve Quarters" et al) propose that there is a sub-ether in the fabric of space which could allow one to communicate across space over great distances instantaneously, but not to transport material objects faster-than light.

SF author Gene Wolfe also postulates that strange things can happen to spacetime when massive acceleration or massive energy are applied to small regions using very precise mirrors (taking the concept of laser amplification into the trans-dimensional realm) in his Urth of the New Sun novels (aka The Severian Series). His novels are also full of conservative themes, the latter series being very analogous to the life of Christ in some interpretations.   
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:37:06 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Smokin Joe

Excellent post. The concept of this sort of communication first came to my own awareness in reading Ursula K Leguin's SF writing. Her "Ecumenical" novels (Left Hand of Darkness, Word for World is Forest, The Wind's Twelve Quarters" et al) propose that there is a sub-ether in the fabric of space which could allow one to communicate across space over great distances instantaneously, but not to transport material objects faster-than light.

SF author Gene Wolfe also postulates that strange things can happen to spacetime when massive acceleration or massive energy are applied to small regions using very precise mirrors (taking the concept of laser amplification into the trans-dimensional realm) in his Urth of the New Sun novels (aka The Severian Series). His novels are also full of conservative themes, the latter series being very analogous to the life of Christ in some interpretations.
Also James Blish (Cities in Flight) had Dirac Transmitters...First used in his story Beep from 1954.
Source: (Lots more fun stuff there, too)
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=844

C S Lewis

Offline LateForLunch

Also James Blish (Cities in Flight) had Dirac Transmitters...First used in his story Beep from 1954.
Source: (Lots more fun stuff there, too)
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=844

Kewl!! Thanks!! And while we're all on the topic of speculative fiction and going beyond our universe, there is the classic by Azimov, "The Gods Themselves," in which a "pump" is created that brings "free" energy into our universe from another but which has hidden dangers that are not detectable on our side.

Offline Smokin Joe

Kewl!! Thanks!! And while we're all on the topic of speculative fiction and going beyond our universe, there is the classic by Azimov, "The Gods Themselves," in which a "pump" is created that brings "free" energy into our universe from another but which has hidden dangers that are not detectable on our side.
Asimov was great! I got to hear him speak in Virginia when I was in college. A brilliant man and a prolific writer (and, with Heinlein, Bradbury, Verne, Wells, and a couple of others, the folks who really got me into science fiction and science). Being a space age brat (Born not long before Sputnik, and following the development of the Space Program as we grew up) didn't hurt.

C S Lewis

Oceander

I'm not sure I like the idea of another universe taking a leak on our universe.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I'm not sure I like the idea of another universe taking a leak on our universe.

It is ok. It is golden.

Offline r9etb

It is ok. It is golden.

In our universe, perhaps.  But who knows about the parallel ones?  I, for one, am apprehensive about meeting the denizens of the "greenish blue" universe.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
I thought the universe had was protected from this sort of this.  :laugh:

[attachment deleted by admin]
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
In our universe, perhaps.  But who knows about the parallel ones?  I, for one, am apprehensive about meeting the denizens of the "greenish blue" universe.

What is the "mysterious lying object" in the large hadron collider"???

Offline r9etb

What is the "mysterious lying object" in the large hadron collider"???

Even aliens. 

Offline LateForLunch

Even aliens.

hah hah great post (also great avatar).