Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>>Trump's Immigration Speech  (Read 7308 times)

Offline Norm Lenhart

Re: LIVE THREAD>>>Trump's Immigration Speech
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 02:52:15 am »
I don't think they care.  They lost all reason.

No they don't care. About reason or about their country. they are hell bent on electing a lying liberal.

Offline bilo

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 02:56:09 am »
It was a heck of a speech. I couldn't help thinking to myself it's too bad this guy is such a jerk. He probably will gain ground with this speech. My heart sure goes out to those parents who have had their children killed by illegal immigrants.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 02:58:46 am »
I don't know about that.  This was pretty focused and well-thought out.

So were some of the other things he was peddling. He was all for cutting taxes before he decided to raise the top marginal rate.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 03:11:37 am »
I watched the speech with a mixed audience. I was amazed at how well received Trump was by Black people watching the speech, especially when he started talking about illegal immigration. That really seemed to hit home.

I think there are at least some Black Americans who view illegals as using up benefits that could be used to support poor Black Americans born here, instead of supporting illegals and families in Mexico.

The Black people I know personally are still on the fence about actually voting for Trump (which is amazing just by itself), but they still gave the speech a thumb up. The fact that Blacks are listening to, and thinking about what Trump says, and that many Black Americans are at least considering voting for him, is totally unexpected.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 03:11:37 am »
So were some of the other things he was peddling. He was all for cutting taxes before he decided to raise the top marginal rate.

Know whats so sad?

The guy reads words someone else wrote and all these people start thinking "Hey, he's got it right!"

Remind you of another guy's effect on the gullible masses about the past 8 years running?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 03:15:26 am »
@mystery-ak

Someone wrote the speech

Reagan and all President, have speechwriters.

Trumps speech and his delivery were powerful

Which of his points do you differ with on substance??
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 03:17:59 am »
I've been listened to every word ... and I think Ann sums it up best: 
Ann Coulter ‏@AnnCoulter 4m4 minutes ago "I hear Churchill had a nice turn of phrase, but Trump's immigration speech is the most magnificent speech ever given." 

This speech was shown on every cable station, including FBN and C-Span, and just on RightSide Broadcasting alone 50,000 people watched it live.  Our citizens heard Trump's words--- unfiltered by MSM spin. 

When "journalists" write the stories on how Trump won, the events of August 31, 2016 -- from sunrise to sunset -- will be the lead paragraph.  This is the day Mr. Trump assumed the mantle of Presidential leadership.

Well, well done, sir!   :patriot:

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 03:20:26 am »

True, but from the table of proposals Myst laid out above there really isn't anything I wouldn't support (although I'm skeptical about the Mexicans paying for a 2000 mile wall or even the need for a contiguous wall along the entire border).   Whether he is serious or truthful about his intentions -  that's a matter of trust and faith I guess.   Obviously there are many who have neither trust nor faith where this guy is concerned.   And I understand that.

Personally, I'm hopeful because just on the basis of these proposals, his indications about SCOTUS picks, his obvious desire to restore our military capability and standing and some other positions I consider him exponentially preferable to the treacherous, dangerous Hillary Clinton.

And, immigration enforcement is something he can actually accomplish through Executive action and resourcing.  He cannot unilaterally affect any tax structure without the co-operation of the House and Senate Ways and Means and Finance committees.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:35:04 am by ArneFufkin »

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 03:21:14 am »
Reagan and all President, have speechwriters.

Trumps speech and his delivery were powerful

Which of his points do you differ with on substance??

How about the man speaking the words has no substance to back them up?

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 03:32:45 am »

This speech was shown on every cable station, including FBN and C-Span, and just on RightSide Broadcasting alone 50,000 people watched it live.  Our citizens heard Trump's words--- unfiltered by MSM spin. 

When "journalists" write the stories on how Trump won, the events of August 31, 2016 -- from sunrise to sunset -- will be the lead paragraph.  This is the day Mr. Trump assumed the mantle of Presidential leadership.

Oh please.  It was one speech.  It may have been a good start.  It is encouraging for those of us looking for any reason to vote for Trump (or against Hillary) to hear Trump give a solid performance.  But he has to keep it up in multiple arenas/policy areas to make it more palatable for conservatives to hold their nose and vote for him.

Lets see what the next week or two bring and see if he can hold his schoolyard insults and knee jerk tweets at bay....
God is still in control

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 03:38:52 am »
Oh please.  It was one speech. 

It was more than that.  This one speech tied together his whole campaign.  From border security, to jobs, to trade deals, to our vets, our military, our police, corruption in government ..... it is everything Donald Trump has been saying.

This is the essential Trump....spoken from his heart .... right through to his signature "I love you".

It's a speech that explains how American will recover and why Hillary and the Democrats will not.

I encourage you to watch it again if given the chance.

Online libertybele

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2016, 05:22:50 am »
It was more than that.  This one speech tied together his whole campaign.  From border security, to jobs, to trade deals, to our vets, our military, our police, corruption in government ..... it is everything Donald Trump has been saying.

This is the essential Trump....spoken from his heart .... right through to his signature "I love you".

It's a speech that explains how American will recover and why Hillary and the Democrats will not.

I encourage you to watch it again if given the chance.

I watched the last portion of the speech.  What you need to remember is Trump has no credibility; what he says one day he normally back pedals or changes his stance.  This issue is what catapulted Trump in the first place and since then he has flip-flopped numerous times ... now he's returning to his hardline stance on illegal immigration. How long will it be before he changes again?  I would also encourage you to watch the speech again.  Listen carefully.  He stated that there are countries that will NOT take their criminals (illegals) back ... so what do you think he's going to do with them?  Drop them off at the nearest country closest from where they originated?  Secondly, he clearly states that illegals have to leave the country in order to come back in 'legally'; better known as 'touch back amnesty'. He also stated that the 11 million people in the U.S illegally is not central to the problem!  Really?  If those here illegally are not a problem ... try telling that to the people he brought up on stage who's loved ones have fallen victim to the hands of illegals.  Those here DO affect our schools, our hospitals, our welfare system, etc.

https://www.numbersusa.com/blog/trump-walking-back-some-amnesty-comments-and-filling-some-blanks-and-we-raise-his-grade

http://www.texasgopvote.com/immigration/donald-trump-calls-amnesty-cpac-throws-all-hispanics-one-bucket-005256

http://www.redstate.com/diary/southernconstitutionalist/2015/12/06/eric-trump-my-dads-immigration-plan-includes-amnesty-after-deportation/

https://www.aei.org/publication/in-practice-the-trump-deportation-plan-might-look-more-like-a-form-of-amnesty/

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2016, 11:26:46 am »
I watched the speech with a mixed audience. I was amazed at how well received Trump was by Black people watching the speech, especially when he started talking about illegal immigration. That really seemed to hit home.

I think there are at least some Black Americans who view illegals as using up benefits that could be used to support poor Black Americans born here, instead of supporting illegals and families in Mexico.

The Black people I know personally are still on the fence about actually voting for Trump (which is amazing just by itself), but they still gave the speech a thumb up. The fact that Blacks are listening to, and thinking about what Trump says, and that many Black Americans are at least considering voting for him, is totally unexpected.

I've been baffled by this for a long time.
Why would the poor (of any race) support a party that willingly allows illegal aliens in to compete with them on entry level jobs?
Is the allure of the welfare state that strong?
I believe that they (the democrats) have successfully scared the less fortunate into believing that all those safety nets would go away if a Republican takes the White House.
Since it's introduction by LBJ, that has simply not been the case.
There have been reforms here and there ( and backslides on them).
Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush 1 and Bush 2 didn't end the entitlement programs, so why the poorest among us feel the they should vote for a party the welcomes illegal aliens in to compete with them, is beyond me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:28:25 am by GrouchoTex »

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2016, 11:27:28 am »
I support the proposals made by Trump last night.  He called for nothing more than what any country seeking to safeguard its national sovereignty should demand.  Yesterday was a home run for Trump.  The optics of his standing beside the Mexican president cannot be undone by any level of spin by the dems.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2016, 11:31:05 am »
I thought it was a pretty good speech. I think Trump is having a surge lately and Hillary may actually be a worse candidate.

I may switch from Johnson to Trump.

If Trump can keep his nose clean and his big mouth shut, he could win this thing.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2016, 11:48:22 am »
John Bresnahan ‏@BresPolitico 10s11 seconds ago

Trump: Those in the country illegally now will have to return home & apply for reentry to U.S.

I don't EVER expect that to happen....so long as they're currently gainfully employed and are on ZERO welfare or foodstamps.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2016, 11:51:12 am »
I don't think they care.  They lost all reason.

"Reason".

Aren't you one who still thinks Trump is going to drop out?

Anybody dropping out...it's gonna be Hillary.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2016, 11:52:08 am »
No they don't care. About reason or about their country. they are hell bent on electing a lying liberal.

....instead of the Commie Marxist.    :whistle:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2016, 11:54:50 am »
I support the proposals made by Trump last night.  He called for nothing more than what any country seeking to safeguard its national sovereignty should demand.  Yesterday was a home run for Trump.  The optics of his standing beside the Mexican president cannot be undone by any level of spin by the dems.

:beer: :patriot:

Online libertybele

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2016, 11:58:44 am »
I don't EVER expect that to happen....so long as they're currently gainfully employed and are on ZERO welfare or foodstamps.

So you don't believe then what Trump said.  How then can you believe anything he says; especially when he continues to flip flip?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2016, 12:16:20 pm »
Larry Elder ‏@larryelder 18m18 minutes ago

Trump's immigration speech is firing on all cylinders! End catch and release; end sanctuary cities; remove dangerous criminal illegals...

Gosh.  That sounds exactly like what at least one of the other candidates was proposing during the primary and it wasn't enough for Trump.  He had to build a 35 foot w all, make Mexico pay for it and deport all illegals. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2016, 12:46:24 pm »
Know whats so sad?

The guy reads words someone else wrote and all these people start thinking "Hey, he's got it right!"

Remind you of another guy's effect on the gullible masses about the past 8 years running?

What you said.  Notice it took his campaign some number of weeks to get out a speech/policy once they realized Trump was going to have to make some kind of stand on immigration.  He canceled the previously scheduled speech on immigration.  Wonder what that one was going to say?  During the primaries I watched hours of his speeches, read his tweets and his website.  Every time he said or wrote something excessively stupid it was defended "He's not a politician. He doesn't parse everything like a politician."  This speech was political.  Carefully parsed to hang onto those voters attracted to Trump for what they saw as a hard, uncompromising stance on immigration AND to try and attract voters who saw his stance as unrealistic and unworkable, but who want something done on immigration.

This was not Trump's speech.  It is a speech from the minds and hands of political handlers.  The man no doubt has some acting chops and did a good job on the speech.  Did this speech come from Trump's heart and mind.  I am exceedingly skeptical.  The ability to deliver a good speech from a teleprompter may have won the election for Obama but it didn't make him a good president.

Personally I think Trump is doing some better in the polls because culminatively Hillary is having one well-deserved disaster after another.  I think anyone other than Trump would have a comanding lead over her after all the recent revelations.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2016, 12:56:51 pm »
It was a heck of a speech. I couldn't help thinking to myself it's too bad this guy is such a jerk. He probably will gain ground with this speech. My heart sure goes out to those parents who have had their children killed by illegal immigrants.

You think he'll gain ground?  This is the end of his outreach to Hispanics. He will lose support in the Hispanic community.

Also, the majority of the country favors a path to legalization and citizenship for those already here.  Even a majority of Republicans do.  In recent polls.

http://www.pollingreport.com/immigration.htm

So, Trump is solidifying his base and the ardent anti-immigrants, but this will do nothing for him with the rest of the country. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2016, 01:01:07 pm »

Except his views fly in the face of popular opinion.  A half a million new ICE agents?  Congress would NEVER approve funding for such nonsense. 

Most Americans didn't hear Trump's words, and will hear them through the filter of the MSM which says Trump is just doubling down on his hatred of illegals.  All the "softening" was for show, apparently.  Now we all know how he feels, which is exactly how he's always felt.

Nothing will change for Trump and he will lose what little Hispanic support he had.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2016, 01:01:43 pm »
You think he'll gain ground?  This is the end of his outreach to Hispanics. He will lose support in the Hispanic community.

Also, the majority of the country favors a path to legalization and citizenship for those already here.  Even a majority of Republicans do.  In recent polls.

http://www.pollingreport.com/immigration.htm

So, Trump is solidifying his base and the ardent anti-immigrants, but this will do nothing for him with the rest of the country. 

I think he'll gain ground. Maybe not enough to beat Hillary, but the RCP polling average seems to be shifting his way, at least somewhat. Hillary is a terrible, uninspiring candidate. Trump doesn't necessarily need Hispanic voters, he just needs enough of them to stay home.

He just needs to not act like a jackass, which he may not be capable of.