Author Topic: Welcome to Iowa, where Trump's purple patch could turn a blue state red  (Read 2234 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Welcome to Iowa, where Trump's purple patch could turn a blue state red

At Joni’s Roast and Ride, the nominee mixed with hog-riders and hog-eaters. In rare harmony, party bigwigs loved him just as much as grass-roots voters
 Ben Jacobs in Des Moines, Iowa
@Bencjacobs

Sunday 28 August 2016 06.00 EDT

In November 2015 Donald Trump proclaimed to a crowd of Iowans: “How stupid are the people of Iowa?” Two months later he lost the Iowa Republican caucus. Almost a year on he may win the Hawkeye State in the presidential election.

Republicans have only won Iowa once since Ronald Reagan – in 2004, when George Bush eked out a win by 10,000 of more than 1.5 million votes. And yet, among the traditional battleground states, Iowa has become perhaps Trump’s best hope of a win. While national polls show the Republican far behind his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, recent Iowa polls have the candidates neck and neck.

more
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/28/donald-trump-iowa-republican-red-state
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Should be interesting to see what happens as Iowa politics on both sides is heavily driven by populism, which normally is relied upon by both Dems and Tea Party types to win, Now with populist Trump as the nominee, we will see how well he goes over.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:44:31 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

geronl

He's offering more and expanded ethanol subsidies and mandates. He's a liberal.

Voting for Trump is not really turning the state "red".

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Just what I was going to say.  If Trump is now red I am another color.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
In November 2015 Donald Trump proclaimed to a crowd of Iowans: “How stupid are the people of Iowa?”
If I'm running as another candidate, I'm putting ads out with this quote.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Interesting that while Trump pandered to the ethanol interests in the primary, Ted Cruz refused to do so.

Ted Cruz won.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
It takes more than ethanol mandates and subsidies to win Iowa now. Farmers don't have the pull they had 30+ years ago.

What really drives this is Rust Belt politics, from which Iowa has probably suffered most, though in many cases due to it's own actions.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
If I'm running as another candidate, I'm putting ads out with this quote.

Clinton will.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

What Trump is really thinking:  "See all that fly over country?  That will all be mine soon.  Mine, mine, mine.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
How much do the ethanol subsides mean to the average person in Iowa?  If the primaries are any indication, not as much as Trump and the other toadies thought.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
How much do the ethanol subsides mean to the average person in Iowa?  If the primaries are any indication, not as much as Trump and the other toadies thought.

They mean a lot more to politicians and their donors than they do the average person. After better than a decade of trying they still haven't managed to pass a statewide ethanol mandate in the state.

Offline corbe

Interesting that while Trump pandered to the ethanol interests in the primary, Ted Cruz refused to do so.

Ted Cruz won.

Comeon, @Emjay you know dang well someone on Cruz's Campaign slipped Carson a 'Mickey' and he decided to go home to Florida and sleep for a week, that's the only reason Cruz beat the orange one.  /s
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

geronl

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Trump would never think that.
We know that, but they have their own image of Trump the Great Liberator in their heads and they're stickin' to it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

geronl

Trump might want to get that purple patch looked at by a dermatologist

Oceander

What a load of you-know-what

Lay off the bottle David.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
What a load of you-know-what

Lay off the bottle David.

What is that , which you posted  (more that once)  to others IN HERE this past week?

"[Blank] you", Oceander!   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

HonestJohn

... fighting for tbe American people (all the groups I've disparaged; hispanics, Muslims, women, Jews, Asians, blacks, immigrants... not included as American).

---

That's the open-faced caveat to that claim.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Ted Cruz won.

There's a lesson in there somewhere, isn't there?