Poll

Do you support the Common Core Standards Initiative?

Yes: My state participates in Common Core and I support it.
3 (33.3%)
No: My state participates in Common Core but I don't support it
4 (44.4%)
No: My state doesn't participate in Common Core  and I don't support it
2 (22.2%)
Yes: My state doesn't participate in Common Core but I support it
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 27, 2016, 05:17:45 pm

Author Topic: Do You Support Common Core?  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Longmire

Do You Support Common Core?
« on: August 21, 2016, 05:17:45 pm »
To get a sense of the level of support  for Common Core from members of this website.

geronl

Re: Do You Support Common Core?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 05:26:09 pm »
A lot of states call it something else.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 05:31:48 pm »
A lot of states call it something else.

Texas officially banned it (HB 462) but a lot of districts are using it with a different name, Project Based Learning Initiative. Several close to us use it.  There is a lot of bad information out there about it. Yes, people should be concerned, but here is an example that a local activist was passing around re the PBL program that is about half bunk.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:33:53 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 06:42:06 pm »
Montana was about the last State to adopt the Common Core standards. I have kids in elementary school so I have more than a passing interest in this. The way it is done here is the local districts are free to teach the students pretty much as they always have. The only difference I have noticed is that they test the kids a couple times a year and send the scores home with the report cards. The testing shows how your kid is doing compared to the others in their school and also compared to the state and national averages. Actually I find that quite useful, my kids are very smart (obviously :laugh:) so there is never a problem but if it looks like they might be a little slow in one area we can work on it.

The curriculum is much more difficult than I remember, my daughter is starting the 5th grade and she is doing math problems and spelling words I didn't learn until high school. Generally the public schools up here are much better than other places  so I suppose folks in other parts of the country may have a different experience but as it is done here I support it...

Offline Longmire

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 06:52:14 pm »
@montanajoe How are schools funded where you are Joe, is it through property taxes?

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 07:06:31 pm »
Yes and they are fairly steep mine are about 1.5% of market value. The school mill levy is about 1/3 of that so on a $100,000 house and 2 kids you would pay about 500 bucks a year for their schooling not a bad deal in my opinion...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 07:17:39 pm »
To get a sense of the level of support  for Common Core from members of this website.

That is an example of why I label some, "phony conservatives," that hold liberal positions on most issues.

Watch for it. It is part of the white-guilt motivation to call others "alt-right" for instance.

Liberal do-gooders, willing to subject fellow citizens to death or injury, for their attachment to diversity, multi-culturalism, open borders, refugee invasions etc.

In the case of common core, money is attached to funding for states. That is a central, big government agenda technique.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 07:47:33 pm »
This is a fairly recent article that is pretty accurate as to the level of acceptance of Common Core in Montana in my opinion..

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/common-core-montana-schools-big-step-forward-or-big-mistake/article_ba39b542-3b89-11e4-ae8c-2708e63c4588.html