Author Topic: Poll: 13 percent of adults say they smoke marijuana  (Read 5387 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Poll: 13 percent of adults say they smoke marijuana
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2016, 12:14:22 am »
This recovered alcoholic, over 22.5 years sober, believes mind altering substances should be decriminalized, but crimes committed while mind-altered/under the influence should be punished very severely.

An example: When I served in the military in Germany, it was legal to have an open container of alcohol in the vehicles, but DUI was a felony.

Here in the US, some states are prosecuting murder/manslaughter if a DUI accident causes death. IOW drive drunk, kill somebody, go to prison for life.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2016, 12:19:37 am »

Prescription Drugs are much more of a danger for the  youth than pot ever was.

@wolfcreek

They also save more lives.

What was almost-certain death, before penicillin and the later super antibiotics, is now a nuisance of remembering to take the medicine long after you're well.

I defy anyone to claim the same for pot, hashish, methamphetamine, heroin, opium, LSD, "bath salts" or any other recreational drug taken to scramble the mind.

Offline Dirt for sale

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2016, 12:47:19 am »
Plenty of natural medicines are restricted or illegal in this country. We have our share of medical expats leaving for Mexico and elsewhere to get the treatment they want. This is  just a continuation of IG Farben --- Big Chemical running medicine, as is comprehensively described in Edward Griffin's World Without Cancer.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2016, 12:57:53 am »

What was almost-certain death, before penicillin and the later super antibiotics, is now a nuisance of remembering to take the medicine long after you're well.

I defy anyone to claim the same for pot, hashish, methamphetamine, heroin, opium, LSD, "bath salts" or any other recreational drug taken to scramble the mind.

Nice try there, but no cigar.

Please limit the discussion to marijuana.

A close friend suffers bad lumbar area pain in his back.  He tried everything.

His date's sister made "Tootsie Rolls" with marijuana for a Jeff Beck concert.

He woke up for work the next morning still stoned...but he realized then and even for another 24 hours, his back pain was gone.

Personally, as a seasoned citizen, my appetite for food suffers badly.   When I mentioned this to my primary doctor, he offered to write me a prescription for medicinal marijuana.  LOL

I neglected to take him up on the offer.

My friends and family got a good laugh at that one.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2016, 01:00:33 am »
Which society did the pharmaceutical drug industry give us?

One where the devils of schizophrenia, the self-destructive mania of bipolar, the suicidal tendencies of depression, can be controlled and managed.  It's definitely not perfect, but it's much better than it was before.

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2016, 03:52:59 am »

He woke up for work the next morning still stoned...but he realized then and even for another 24 hours, his back pain was gone.

Personally, as a seasoned citizen, my appetite for food suffers badly.   When I mentioned this to my primary doctor, he offered to write me a prescription for medicinal marijuana.  LOL

Yeah, I know, pot is medicine.

As any stoner in Medical Marijuana states, knows.

Odd thing is, I never hear of anyone getting CURED from using marijuana.

Because, of course, it's a subterfuge.

Now.  My comment was to answer the ridiculous assertion that Big Bad Pharma, with its tetanus vaccine and ampicillin, is much, much worse and causes more harm.

That, to me, is the kind of thinking that comes from using POT.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2016, 04:03:55 am »
This is just more pussification of the country. Smoking pot is for pansies. Real men mainline heroin.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2016, 06:01:11 am »
No easy solutions.

Moderation.   Don't deprive yourself of good bourbon (or good weed if that's your bag).   Just kick it down a notch.   Appreciate the small buzz/edge,  the social or meditative lubricant, when the time and place is right.   Don't ever let it interfere with work,  or your enjoyment of your family.   And stay safe behind the wheel.   
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 06:03:49 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2016, 11:15:54 am »
Moderation.   Don't deprive yourself of good bourbon (or good weed if that's your bag).   Just kick it down a notch.   Appreciate the small buzz/edge,  the social or meditative lubricant, when the time and place is right.   Don't ever let it interfere with work,  or your enjoyment of your family.   And stay safe behind the wheel.

Good advice, @Jazzhead

One more thing regarding my landscaper buddy....his neighborhood/subdivision...the homes START at $1 million.

He is 'famous' for being the only landscaper in the State of Maryland that can create perfect Glen Plaid designs on the lawn.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2016, 06:17:29 pm »

That's fine....I'm not against MJ either for medical reasons or whatever reasons...as long we're talking about adults. But of course, you know there are ways of using MJ for medical purposes without getting high.  I have no idea of how many people who take MJ for "medical reasons" are just using that as an excuse to have a legal high, but I suspect it's  a large number.
 Like I said, I'm not against adults using MJ for whatever reason. But let's be honest about "medical MJ" and it's intended use by many.

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2016, 07:04:56 pm »

Again, we're discussing psychotropic meds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_psychotropic_medications

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2016, 07:21:26 pm »
"I used to smoke marijuana. But I'll tell you something: I would only smoke it in the late evening. Oh, occasionally the early evening, but usually the late evening - or the mid-evening. Just the early evening, midevening and late evening. Occasionally, early afternoon, early mid-afternoon, or perhaps the late-midafternoon. Oh, sometimes the early-mid-late-early morning. . . But never at dusk! Never at dusk, I would never do that." - Steve Martin