Author Topic: Poll: 13 percent of adults say they smoke marijuana  (Read 5405 times)

Offline mirraflake

Re: Poll: 13 percent of adults say they smoke marijuana
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 08:37:00 pm »
Since you don't hire them, How do you know They're Not Worth a Damn?

Nearly all the regular pot smokers I do know are low ambition for starters.   One of my friends works for a gas field company.  He told future prospective employees they would be starting out at $15-18.00 per hour, full benefits, generous 401K  but they refuse to drop the pot so they don't get hired. So they go back to their $9.00 part time retail job with no future. One guy told him he needs his pot first thing in the morning and when he gets home from work.

More and more research is coming out showing regular pot use is harmful.

No country with regular substance abuser is worth a shit either. Look at Somalia and other countries who eat KAT all day..

@Elderberry
@musiclady
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:39:09 pm by mirraflake »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 08:41:30 pm »
Nearly all the regular pot smokers I do know are low ambition for starters.   One of my friends works for a gas field company.  He told future prospective employees they would be starting out at $15-18.00 per hour but they refuse to drop the pot so they don't get hired. So they go back to their $10.00 part time retail job. One guy told him he needs his pot first thing in the morning and when he gets home from work.

More and more research is coming out showing regular pot use is harmful.

No country with regular substance abuser is worth a shit either. Look at Somalia and other countries who eat KAT all day..

@Elderberry
@musiclady

My husband is an executive at a large medical facility which is the largest employer in the county.

They do drug testing before hiring, and you can't even be hired in housekeeping or maintenance if you test positive.  They don't hire any MJ users.  Period.

When you think about the negative potential of that, can you imagine having a surgeon, or even a nurse high on marijuana and treating a patient?

BAD idea.

The medical profession knows the danger of drug use.......... they see the results of it in the ED every day.

@mirraflake
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:43:49 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 08:51:20 pm »
I was a regular pot user for about 18 years. I quit when I got married. I didn't think it was the type of Father Figure I wanted to be.
High School Grad. Mensa. Navy 4 yrs(Secret Clearance). Sales Engineer 5 yrs. BSET. 30+yrs NASA Contractor(Secret Cleared entire time).

I have known many regular pot users. Like anything else. Some good, some bad. Same as alcohol users. They only difference is pot is illegal in most states.

That makes it EVIL!

@mirraflake
@musiclady

Offline musiclady

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 08:59:27 pm »
I was a regular pot user for about 18 years. I quit when I got married. I didn't think it was the type of Father Figure I wanted to be.
High School Grad. Mensa. Navy 4 yrs(Secret Clearance). Sales Engineer 5 yrs. BSET. 30+yrs NASA Contractor(Secret Cleared entire time).

I have known many regular pot users. Like anything else. Some good, some bad. Same as alcohol users. They only difference is pot is illegal in most states.

That makes it EVIL!

@mirraflake
@musiclady

Actually, it's the mental impairment and health hazards that make both alcohol and marijuana bad.

The fact that marijuana is illegal merely makes it illegal, and therefore something that law-abiding citizens don't do.  The word "evil" isn't really appropriate for the conversation unless the abuse gets to the point where it harms a person, or those around them.

The argument is old, but it's not right to break laws just because I don't agree with them.  If I get caught speeding in a speed trap, it's still against the law, and I still have to pay the fine.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 09:00:44 pm »

That makes it EVIL!

@mirraflake
@musiclady

You are not the norm. I was liberal in my views for pot most of my life but after 30 years saw what happened to my friends in HS and college who were regular users. 5-6 on Facebook..wasted lives-had so much potential.

I know 2 people with security clearances, ex military now in defense industry (one is my BIL) and they have to take regular drug test so I'm not sure if I believe your resume or not.

@Elderberry
@musiclady

Offline musiclady

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2016, 09:04:29 pm »
You are not the norm. I was liberal in my views for pot most of my life but after 30 years saw what happened to my friends in HS and college who were regular users. 5-6 on Facebook..wasted lives-had so much potential.

I know 2 people with security clearances, ex military now in defense industry (one is my BIL) and they have to take regular drug test so I'm not sure if I believe your resume or not.

@Elderberry
@musiclady

Maybe it's just not current.

Businesses take marijuana use much more seriously now than they did a decade or more ago.

If you can get security clearance while using drugs, I'd be surprised.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2016, 09:07:35 pm »

The argument is old, but it's not right to break laws just because I don't agree with them. 

Myself, I'm a follower of Thoreau, and his essay; Resistance to Civil Government (Civil Disobedience).

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 09:12:59 pm »

If you can get security clearance while using drugs, I'd be surprised.

I was never drug tested for my Secret Clearance, nor any of the renewals.

Now my youngest son just went thru his investigation for Top Secret and he was drug tested as well as psychological testing.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2016, 09:22:19 pm »
Now companies I worked for did hire-on drug testing. And threatened to do periodic testing, but never did.  But there was no testing just for the Secret Clearance.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2016, 09:24:33 pm »
Myself, I'm a follower of Thoreau, and his essay; Resistance to Civil Government (Civil Disobedience).

I read it too.

I just always thought it was best reserved for things of more importance than getting high on mind-altering drugs.

At the same time I was reading Thoreau, the leftist drug-laced sexual revolution was going on, and I knew enough even then to not adapt my thinking on Civil Disobedience to comply with the "if it feels good, do it" movement.  :patriot:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:41:50 pm by musiclady »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2016, 09:32:08 pm »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2016, 01:04:31 am »
13 percent would be about the split between the Gary Johnson supporters and the die-hard Sanders supporters.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2016, 11:17:51 am »

It only takes a few plants to provide a user with all his MJ needs. No more than what would fit in a closet.  Much, much cheaper than alcohol.

It's not easy nor cheap to grow marijuana of the potency most smokers are use to these days.

Offline Drewsmum

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2016, 11:24:10 am »
13 percent would be about the split between the Gary Johnson supporters and the die-hard Sanders supporters.
DesiSmileys.com

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 05:30:42 pm »
I have a friend now in his mid-50's who runs a landscaping/lawn-cutting business with his wife.

They both hit the bong soon as their feet touch the bedroom floor.  All day...everyday.

They earn $1K @ day during the Spring thru Fall...and do snow removal in the winter.   He also does slate and stone work for patios and walkways, etc..

They don't go outside their subdivision for any work.

They are highly driven people...which blows the theory out of the water...that marijuana limits your functionality.
How it affects one couple does not blow the theory out of the water. That is anecdotal evidence. It might be correct, but anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal.
Just like some people can smoke their lungs out with tobacco for all their lives and not get illnesses like cancer or stroke from doing it, you still wouldn't advise people to smoke tobacco heavily.
 Also many people can function well  despite drinking heavily (Winston Churchill for one).  But after reading his biography, I would not advise anybody to drink the amount of liquor he drank daily. 
Showing the odd couple here and there functioning well while being heavy dopers doesn't prove anything.
There have been numerous studies done in the last quarter of a century showing the deleterious effects of heavy MJ use.
I'm not for banning the drug, and in fact feel adults should be able to use it just like people use alcohol.
But I  also do not claim that MJ has no bad effects....it very clearly does. It's that, like alcohol, people are affected differently by the drug. Some can use it heavily with no bad side effects, and many cannot.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2016, 05:40:58 pm »
How it affects one couple does not blow the theory out of the water. That is anecdotal evidence. It might be correct, but anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal.
Just like some people can smoke their lungs out with tobacco for all their lives and not get illnesses like cancer or stroke from doing it, you still wouldn't advise people to smoke tobacco heavily.
 Also many people can function well  despite drinking heavily (Winston Churchill for one).  But after reading his biography, I would not advise anybody to drink the amount of liquor he drank daily. 
Showing the odd couple here and there functioning well while being heavy dopers doesn't prove anything.
There have been numerous studies done in the last quarter of a century showing the deleterious effects of heavy MJ use.
I'm not for banning the drug, and in fact feel adults should be able to use it just like people use alcohol.
But I  also do not claim that MJ has no bad effects....it very clearly does. It's that, like alcohol, people are affected differently by the drug. Some can use it heavily with no bad side effects, and many cannot.

I purposely chose the words in my post to which you responded.

I said "functionality".

Didn't say 'highly motivated', etc..   Because in the back of my own mind, I wonder if he didn't partake as frequently, that maybe he could have owned the largest landscaping company in the county.

Then again...he said he once had 9 employees...and he decided to let them all go and go "mom and pop".

Said the stress of 9 people with their own personal problems in his business wasn't worth the extra income.

Of course pot isn't good for you.   But, it doesn't necessarily follow that smoking pot will make you lazy and complacent.  That's all I meant to convey.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2016, 10:52:37 pm »
I purposely chose the words in my post to which you responded.

I said "functionality".

Didn't say 'highly motivated', etc..   Because in the back of my own mind, I wonder if he didn't partake as frequently, that maybe he could have owned the largest landscaping company in the county.

Then again...he said he once had 9 employees...and he decided to let them all go and go "mom and pop".

Said the stress of 9 people with their own personal problems in his business wasn't worth the extra income.

Of course pot isn't good for you.   But, it doesn't necessarily follow that smoking pot will make you lazy and complacent.  That's all I meant to convey.
  "But, it doesn't necessarily follow that smoking pot will make you lazy and complacent.  That's all I meant to convey."

I agree...I'm sure there are plenty of people who function quite well...or well enough. My point is that I doubt it helps people brain-wise, and I strongly suspect heavy use hurts most people.
Churchill could function extremely well drinking amounts of liquor that would either kill or incapacitate many normal people. There are probably many other people who imbibe heavily and function well.
But heavy use  of alcohol has destroyed countless lives of people who were quite unable to handle it.
 My position is this: adults should be able to use a variety of substances including pot or other drugs just like they use alcohol. But again, I don't believe any drug, especially mind-altering drugs like MJ, cause no harm.
 And if it turns out the increased use of MJ causes severe harm to the general public, I'd be for putting it under stronger regulations or banning the sale.
 And again, what do we do about alcohol which has a strong history of causing harm to the general public? Banning MJ and keeping booze legal makes a person a hypocrite given alcohol's history. No easy solutions.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:02:15 pm by goatprairie »

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2016, 12:13:54 am »
Bottom line is this:

A society with ALCOHOL use gave us Rome; gave us Jesus of Nazareth; gave us the Renaissance; gave us the Enlightenment philosophers; gave us the Magna Charta and the concepts of Rights of Man.

Gave us the New World and its concepts.  Gave us the United States; and gave us over 200 years of freedom.

Societies which use ganga, qat, marijuana, peyote, or other mild hallucinogenics, give us arrested bush Africa; give us the failed African former colonies.  Give us the Middle East and its Moslem fanaticism, where life is cheap and the only escape is either from sexual activity or the hallucinogen.  Give the world modern Jamaica and Mexico and other Central American hellholes.

Those drugs have taken Europe DOWN; and have created a toxic subculture in the United States.  It is now the majority culture and it takes our cultural traditions, such as this election, and turns them into what non-impaired, thinking citizens can only regard as farce.

We have to recognize this or else we disappear...as the great Arab civilization, the keepers of knowledge during the early Middle Ages, disappeared.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 12:15:16 am by JustPassinThru »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2016, 12:42:56 am »
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Entheogen

According to The Living Torah, cannabis was an ingredient of holy anointing oil mentioned in various sacred Hebrew texts.[9] The herb of interest is most commonly known as kaneh-bosm (Hebrew: קְנֵה-בֹשֶׂם). This is mentioned several times in the Old Testament as a bartering material, incense, and an ingredient in holy anointing oil used by the high priest of the temple. Although Chris Bennett's research in this area focuses on cannabis, he mentions evidence suggesting use of additional visionary plants such as henbane, as well.

The Septuagint translates kaneh-bosm as calamus, and this translation has been propagated unchanged to most later translations of the Hebrew Bible. However, Polish anthropologist Sula Benet published etymological arguments that the Aramaic word for hemp can be read as kannabos and appears to be a cognate to the modern word 'cannabis',[10] with the root kan meaning reed or hemp and bosm meaning fragrant. Both cannabis and calamus are fragrant, reedlike plants containing psychotropic compounds.

Although philologist John Marco Allegro has suggested that the self-revelation and healing abilities attributed to the figure of Jesus may have been associated with the effects of the plant medicines [from the Aramaic: "to heal"], this evidence is dependent on pre-Septuagint interpretation of Torah, and goes firmly against the accepted teachings of the Holy See. However Merkur contends that a minority of Christian hermits and mystics could possibly have used entheogens, in conjunction with fasting, meditation and prayer.

Allegro was the only non-Catholic appointed to the position of translating the Dead Sea Scrolls. His extrapolations are often the object of scorn due to Allegro's theory of Jesus as a mythological personification of the essence of the psychoactive sacrament, furthermore they seem to conflict with the position of the Catholic Church in regards to the exclusivity of the non-canonical practice of transubstantiation and endorsement of alcohol ingestion as the exclusive means to attain communion with God. Allegro's book, The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross, relates the development of language to the development of myths, religions and cultic practices in world cultures. Allegro believed he could prove, through etymology, that the roots of Christianity, as of many other religions, lay in fertility cults; and that cult practices, such as ingesting visionary plants (or "psychedelics") to perceive the Mind of God [Avestan: Vohu Mana], persisted into the early Christian era, and to some unspecified extent into the 1200s with reoccurrences in the 1700s and mid 1900s, as he interprets the Plaincourault chapel's fresco to be an accurate depiction of the ritual ingestion of Amanita Muscaria as the Eucharist.

The historical picture portrayed by the Entheos journal is of fairly widespread use of visionary plants in early Christianity and the surrounding culture, with a gradual reduction of use of entheogens in Christianity.[11] R. Gordon Wasson's book Soma prints a letter from art historian Erwin Panofsky asserting that art scholars are aware of many 'mushroom trees' in Christian art.[12]

The question of the extent of visionary plant use throughout the history of Christian practice has barely been considered yet by academic or independent scholars. The question of whether visionary plants were used in pre-Theodosius Christianity is distinct from evidence that indicates the extent to which visionary plants were utilized or forgotten in later Christianity, including so-called "heretical" or "quasi-" Christian groups,[13] and the question of other groups such as elites or laity within "orthodox" Catholic practice.

James Arthur asserts that the little scroll from the angel with writing on it referred to in Ezekiel 2: 8,9,10 and Ezekiel 3: 1,2,3 and Book of Revelation 10: 9,10 was the speckled cap of the Amanita Muscaria mushroom.[14]

Offline musiclady

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2016, 01:00:24 am »
Bottom line is this:

A society with ALCOHOL use gave us Rome; gave us Jesus of Nazareth; gave us the Renaissance; gave us the Enlightenment philosophers; gave us the Magna Charta and the concepts of Rights of Man.

Gave us the New World and its concepts.  Gave us the United States; and gave us over 200 years of freedom.

Societies which use ganga, qat, marijuana, peyote, or other mild hallucinogenics, give us arrested bush Africa; give us the failed African former colonies.  Give us the Middle East and its Moslem fanaticism, where life is cheap and the only escape is either from sexual activity or the hallucinogen.  Give the world modern Jamaica and Mexico and other Central American hellholes.

Those drugs have taken Europe DOWN; and have created a toxic subculture in the United States.  It is now the majority culture and it takes our cultural traditions, such as this election, and turns them into what non-impaired, thinking citizens can only regard as farce.

We have to recognize this or else we disappear...as the great Arab civilization, the keepers of knowledge during the early Middle Ages, disappeared.

GREAT post!!   :hands:

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2016, 12:10:07 pm »
Which society did the pharmaceutical drug industry give us?

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2016, 12:15:49 pm »

The one where polio, venereal disease, infections from puncture wounds, and thousands of others are all easily treatable or preventable.

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2016, 12:18:51 pm »
The one where polio, venereal disease, infections from puncture wounds, and thousands of others are all easily treatable or preventable.

I was mainly referring to the psychotropic varieties.

Offline Dirt for sale

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2016, 04:23:41 pm »
It is true that if a person has psychotic tendencies then mj can push them over the edge. This was the origin of the word "assassin" --- men who smoked strong hashish before going out and killing somebody.
Since mj is promoted now, we can take it as a given that its widespread use is an evil to society. It is another means of escape from reality. Mj use impairs short term memory, making it easier to forget. Take pity on the psychological addicts of this plant. They are using it to anesthetize the pain of their unhappy lives.
I am of the opinion that government has no right to restrict the use of plants. It implies that God made a mistake.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2016, 12:06:49 am »

Prescription Drugs Are More Deadly Than Street Drugs
Many unethical doctors enable their drug-addicted patients.
Posted Apr 28, 2014
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wicked-deeds/201404/prescription-drugs-are-more-deadly-street-drugs

Prescription Drugs are much more of a danger for the  youth than pot ever was.

@wolfcreek