Author Topic: Financial crisis caused 500,000 extra cancer deaths, according to Lancet study - Telegraph  (Read 421 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Financial crisis caused 500,000 extra cancer deaths, according to Lancet study

The global financial crisis may have caused an additional 500,000 cancer deaths from 2008 to 2010, according to a new study, with patients locked out of treatment because of unemployment and healthcare cuts.

The figures were extrapolated from an observed rise in cancer deaths for every percentage increase in unemployment, and every drop in public healthcare spending.

"From our analysis we estimate that the economic crisis was associated with over 260,000 excess cancer deaths in the OECD (34-member Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development) alone, between 2008-2010," said Mahiben Maruthappu of Imperial College London.

"This suggests that there could have been well over 500,000 excess cancer deaths worldwide during this time."

More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/25/financial-crisis-caused-500000-extra-cancer-death-according-to-l/

The Lancet study is out there, should the Telegraph put up a pay wall; I didn't get one.  I'm not sure what to think of this story.

Alarming headline, I saw this at Radio Free Europe first in a short graphic.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:53:02 pm by TomSea »