Author Topic: The GOP and Gays: Confusion or Compromise? What does Trump mean when he says he will fight for the LGBTQ Community?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: TOWNHALL

URL: http://townhall.com/columnists/michaelbrown/2016/07/24/the-gop-and-gays-confusion-or-compromise-n2197014

by: Dr. Michael Brown

What message is the Republican Party sending out to America?

Republican leaders proudly announced that they had drafted “the most conservative platform in modern history,” yet Peter Thiel, an out and proud gay billionaire, who was a featured speaker on the last night of the RNC, denigrated the “fake culture wars” and made clear he did not affirm all of his party’s platform. And he was warmly received by the crowd.

What are we to make of this? (Note also that Thiel spoke the same night as evangelical leader Tony Perkins, who helped craft the party’s conservative platform.)

The gay activist Human Rights Campaign (better known as the HRC, which, appropriately mirrors the initials of Hillary Rodham Clinton), has launched a Dump Trump website because of his “dangerous positions on issues of LGBTQ equality,” stating that Trump “doubled down on his anti-LGBTQ agenda by putting Indiana Gov. Mike Pence on the ticket.”

In contrast, controversial gay conservative Milo Yiannopoulos has called Trump “the most pro-gay candidate possibly in American electoral history,” noting that his “gays for Trump” event at the RNC sold out within 24 hours.

How can both be right?

On June 14th, Trump tweeted, “Thank you to the LGBT community! I will fight for you while Hillary brings in more people that will threaten your freedoms and beliefs,” with obvious reference to radical Muslims, something that he reiterated in his acceptance speech.

Yet Trump has repeatedly affirmed to evangelical leaders that he is in their corner, that he will champion their right to freedom of speech, and that he will appoint justices in the mold of Scalia who would differ with the Court’s Obergefell decision last year. (The Dump Trump website scathingly documents all this.)

How can Trump stand in full solidarity with both LGBT activists and conservative Christian leaders? And aren’t most LGBT leaders in America more concerned with conservative Christians than radical Muslims, at least for the moment?

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline SirLinksALot

Man, the abbreviation is getting longer and longer. It used to be just LGBT, now they've added a Q.

What other letter are they going to think of next?

Offline Half Vast Conspiracy

Man, the abbreviation is getting longer and longer. It used to be just LGBT, now they've added a Q.

What other letter are they going to think of next?

LGBTQEIEIO!

Offline SirLinksALot

Offline Half Vast Conspiracy

Offline Night Hides Not

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

geronl

Trump is full-bore pro-gay rights. You will bake that cake and hand over your kids too.

Offline SirLinksALot

You will bake that cake and hand over your kids too.

If that still happens under a Trump administration, either the Evangelical Community has been scammed, or the Evangelical community have themselves compromised.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
What does Trump mean when he says anything?   I don't know; I don't' speak Trumpish.
Principles matter. Words matter.

geronl

If that still happens under a Trump administration, either the Evangelical Community has been scammed, or the Evangelical community have themselves compromised.

Trump never promised otherwise. These people are scamming themselves. Trump promised "Forward Motion" on gay "equality".

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/02/trump-promises-forward-motion-on-gay-equality

Offline unknown

Well, here is what Donald J Trump, Jr, says about gay marriage..

Short Episode: Donald Trump, Jr. Opens Up About Gay Marriage, Women’s Rights, and His Love of Hunting (AUDIO)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-six-pack/the-six-pack-donald-trump-jr_b_1348643.html

In the most recent episode of The Six Pack, we spoke to Donald Trump, Jr. In addition to coming out in support of gay marriage and abortion rights, he shed light on his father’s views on these issues. Don Jr. also spoke about his love of hunting, which has thrown him into controversy and tabloids this week.

“I’m totally for it,” Trump Jr. says of gay marriage. “One of my best friends growing up was gay. ... It’s never been an issue for me. ...

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Trump never promised otherwise. These people are scamming themselves. Trump promised "Forward Motion" on gay "equality".

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/02/trump-promises-forward-motion-on-gay-equality

The term "You can't cheat an honest man" is true.

Offline unknown

On the other hand, Donald J Trump himself is all over on this issue....

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

geronl

On the other hand, Donald J Trump himself is all over on this issue....

During the Kim Davis thing he said something like "The Supreme Court has ruled, and gay marriage is the law of the land."

Offline Cripplecreek

During the Kim Davis thing he said something like "The Supreme Court has ruled, and gay marriage is the law of the land."

Also said that maybe that isn't the job for her.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
It is exactly what it looks like:  New York Values.  Trump is pro Rainbow Jihad.  He flat out says he sides against Kim Davis, with the transgenders, against the religious freedom protections.  He throws stupid stuff at evangelicals and they gobble it up -- protect "Merry Christmas" and make sure pastors can talk politics from their pulpits (who wants that???).   Some evangelicals are a cheap date.  Many of us are not.

I don't want that.  I don't want my pastor pushing candidates.  So many evangelicals supporting gay rights Trump.  I know people in my church probably like Trump.  If my pastor is one I don't want him pushing Trump down our throats.  If church starts being a weekly political campaign I won't go anymore. 

And looking at the list of genders above.  Is that just too much?  Perhaps the Evangelicals in the Trump camp are getting ready to fold on Jesus and the Word of God.  Not me.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

geronl

Everybody talks about Constitutional rights but Trump says "I think differently".

Like when he said people would complain about internet censorship with free speech, free speech, "These are foolish people"

or when suggested that "Security" comrade, trumps the Bill of Rights.

Offline Cripplecreek

I don't want that.  I don't want my pastor pushing candidates.  So many evangelicals supporting gay rights Trump.  I know people in my church probably like Trump.  If my pastor is one I don't want him pushing Trump down our throats.  If church starts being a weekly political campaign I won't go anymore. 

And looking at the list of genders above.  Is that just too much?  Perhaps the Evangelicals in the Trump camp are getting ready to fold on Jesus and the Word of God.  Not me.

Actually politics from the pulpit is an important right that has been strangled by taxing that "free" speech and its not about pimping a candidate. Its about speaking out against wrong in society and encouraging the faithful to stand.

While Trump doesn't know anything about it, the seeds of the American revolution were sown by the colonial churches. It was in the churches where the people were encouraged to take a stand against the British and militias were raised. Frankly I doubt Trump would want churches to speak openly and honestly.

"It was Sunday morning early in the year 1776.  In the church where Pastor Muhlenberg preached, it was a regular service for his congregation, but a quite different affair for Muhlenberg himself.  Muhlenberg's text for the day was Ecclesiastes 3 where it explains, 'To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven; a time to be born, and a time to die, a time to plant, and a time to pluck what is planted...'"

"Coming to the end of his sermon, Peter Muhlenberg turned to his congregation and said, 'In the language of the holy writ, there was a time for all things, a time to preach and a time to pray, but those times have passed away.'  As those assembled looked on, Pastor Muhlenberg declared, 'There is a time to fight, and that time is now coming!' Muhlenberg then proceeded to remove his robes revealing, to the shock of his congregation, a military uniform."

"Marching to the back of the church he declared, 'Who among you is with me?' On that day 300 men from his church stood up and joined Peter Muhlenberg. They eventually became the 8th Virginia Brigade fighting for liberty."

"Frederick Muhlenberg, Peter's brother, was against Peter's level of involvement in the war. Peter responded to Frederick writing, 'I am a Clergyman it is true, but I am a member of the Society as well as the poorest Layman, and my Liberty is as dear to me as any man, shall I then sit still and enjoy myself at Home when the best Blood of the Covenant is spilling? ...So far am I from thinking that I act wrong, I am convinced it is my duty to do so and duly I owe to God and my country."

It should be noted that Peter Muhlenberg later joined his brother after the British pulled him from his home in the middle of the night so he could watch as they burned his church to the ground.

In fact I've been thinking about Ecclesiastes a lot lately in terms of what we're seeing from those we believed were good conservatives. There will be a clearing of the conservative fields and a clean base to build from.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Actually politics from the pulpit is an important right that has been strangled by taxing that "free" speech and its not about pimping a candidate. Its about speaking out against wrong in society and encouraging the faithful to stand.

While Trump doesn't know anything about it, the seeds of the American revolution were sown by the colonial churches. It was in the churches where the people were encouraged to take a stand against the British and militias were raised. Frankly I doubt Trump would want churches to speak openly and honestly.

"It was Sunday morning early in the year 1776.  In the church where Pastor Muhlenberg preached, it was a regular service for his congregation, but a quite different affair for Muhlenberg himself.  Muhlenberg's text for the day was Ecclesiastes 3 where it explains, 'To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven; a time to be born, and a time to die, a time to plant, and a time to pluck what is planted...'"

"Coming to the end of his sermon, Peter Muhlenberg turned to his congregation and said, 'In the language of the holy writ, there was a time for all things, a time to preach and a time to pray, but those times have passed away.'  As those assembled looked on, Pastor Muhlenberg declared, 'There is a time to fight, and that time is now coming!' Muhlenberg then proceeded to remove his robes revealing, to the shock of his congregation, a military uniform."

"Marching to the back of the church he declared, 'Who among you is with me?' On that day 300 men from his church stood up and joined Peter Muhlenberg. They eventually became the 8th Virginia Brigade fighting for liberty."

"Frederick Muhlenberg, Peter's brother, was against Peter's level of involvement in the war. Peter responded to Frederick writing, 'I am a Clergyman it is true, but I am a member of the Society as well as the poorest Layman, and my Liberty is as dear to me as any man, shall I then sit still and enjoy myself at Home when the best Blood of the Covenant is spilling? ...So far am I from thinking that I act wrong, I am convinced it is my duty to do so and duly I owe to God and my country."

It should be noted that Peter Muhlenberg later joined his brother after the British pulled him from his home in the middle of the night so he could watch as they burned his church to the ground.

In fact I've been thinking about Ecclesiastes a lot lately in terms of what we're seeing from those we believed were good conservatives. There will be a clearing of the conservative fields and a clean base to build from.

Great post.  I do know all of that but I am talking about promoting specific candidates.   Our church talks about issues of course as they relate to the Word of God.  But if they openly started campaigning for Trump or any specific candidate I would be turned away.  What you posted above was fighting for the freedom and freedom is a God given right that every person should fight for.

And thinking about what you have said I also have to point out that back then the church was preaching the Word of God.  Not always true now.  The recent boldness of the church to step outside of Gods word with things like homosexuality is a good reason not to engage in politics but stick to the Word of God.  I don't care what this church or that church is doing.  In my church if it doesn't come plumb with the Word of God its the wrong church.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline R4 TrumPence

While Trump doesn't know anything about it, the seeds of the American revolution were sown by the colonial churches. It was in the churches where the people were encouraged to take a stand against the British and militias were raised. Frankly I doubt Trump would want churches to speak openly and honestly

I agree up to the last sentence.
As it stands now the Dems can go "speak" in any church in the country! Especially black churches.
If it opens it for all, my guess is the black preachers will still tell their congregations who to vote for in each election as always.
White churches not so much. But you would be able to discuss which candidate holds your values.
Most people do not live on the political side of the internet, so it could work against the dems :pondering:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Well, here is what Donald J Trump, Jr, says about gay marriage..

“I’m totally for it,” Trump Jr. says of gay marriage. “One of my best friends growing up was gay. ... It’s never been an issue for me. ... I think there was a time in my life, probably in college, that I wished every guy was gay, because it just meant more women for me! ‘I don’t know why you guys have a problem with this thing! I think it’d be great! I wish everyone was gay!’ ... That’s always the way I thought about it. ... I have no issue with it. If I have to suffer through marriage, why shouldn’t they?

He goes on to express his views on abortion, which diverge from those of the average conservative: “Honestly, for me, abortion, I don’t get it. I don’t even understand how it’s a political issue. I don’t understand how there is one issue for voters for that. I don’t understand how you can tell someone what they can or can’t do. And I’m sort of the same way with [gay marriage]. ... I can’t buy into the abortion argument. I wish the Republicans would drop it as part of their platform.

That can’t be real, is it?

FWIW all the links in this article and others quoting it to sixpackradio podcast do not work and evidently the show only ran from 2009-2012 and I can’t find any on-line presence for them or any audio for this interview.

I’m calling BS on this being real and is probably satire unless a more creditable source is found.

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
It's interesting that the GOP platform is the most socially conservative it's ever been, while the Dem platform is more crazy-left than it's ever been.   And neither party's nominees really reflect their platforms. 

Trump's pivot toward the gay community was brilliant, IMO, in terms of boosting his appeal for the general.   The Dems are on record of seeking more Muslim immigration, and there's no group more socially conservative than Muslims.   Trump's recasting of his anti-Muslim immigration position as protective of gays could pay dividends in November. 

Pence is Trump's sop to social conservatives;  but I can't believe that Trump himself is much animated by the Christian right's issues.   
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 12:31:17 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Silver Pines

That can’t be real, is it?

FWIW all the links in this article and others quoting it to sixpackradio podcast do not work and evidently the show only ran from 2009-2012 and I can’t find any on-line presence for them or any audio for this interview.

I’m calling BS on this being real and is probably satire unless a more creditable source is found.

@Neverdul
@unknown

Yes, it's real.  If you plug it into google you get confirmation by National Review.

Offline Neverdul

Yes, it's real.  If you plug it into google you get confirmation by National Review.

You mean this article?

Four Truths about the Party of Trump
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/438238/donald-trump-republican-party-will-move-left-social-issues

The problem with that is that they used/linked to the Huffington Post article as the source for the quote. I am not saying that “Don Don” didn’t say it, but I’d sure like some independent confirmation and or the actual audio from the podcast interview but can’t find it anywhere.  The embedded audio in the Huffington Post article will not open and all the links to sixpackradio and even Googling it show it’s defunked, the web domain being for sale.

But my GoogleFu is strong, like an Interweb-Jedi so I will keep searching.  :pondering:

Offline Neverdul

Found the audio!!!

It is real.

The Six Pack: Donald Trump Jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AKenGFbztY

Published on Apr 11, 2012

Abortion and Gay Marriage quotes starting @ 8:10

And yes this is one of the Trump kids who is heavily involved in the campaign and in influencing his father.

And yes, a lot of Trump supporters are touting him as a future POTUS.

:facepalm2:

If I post this over at TOS, do you think that will finally get me zotted?

:silly: