Author Topic: 16 Years Ago, William F. Buckley Wrote This About Donald Trump And It’s Eerily Accurate  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
What it shows is that Trump hasn't changed a bit.

The question is, why have those who despised him just a few years ago fallen to outright worship today.

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
I don't mind the conservatives who say "well, he's the nominee...I don't like it, but we can't let Hillary in." That rationalization I can understand. It's got me a little indecisive as well although I'm mostly in the noTrump camp.

But the people who really believe Trump is some sort of savior of the Republic is very baffling. How can they look at his past and think he's any kind of savior other than of his money?  :pondering:
@goatprairie ~ From one of Trump's HUGE fans on Twitter [someone Trump has retweeted in the past -- http://gawker.com/donald-trump-will-never-stop-retweeting-white-supremaci-1761721723 -- who lists #WhiteGenocide on his profile] literally thinks DJT's the Savior.

The following tweet (from Neil Turner's account) was posted 7-24-16.

https://twitter.com/NeilTurner_/status/757315831093223425

Neil Turner ‏@NeilTurner_  14h14 hours ago
@realDonaldTrump You will make excellent deals for our country. #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@goatprairie ~ From one of Trump's HUGE fans on Twitter [someone Trump has retweeted in the past -- http://gawker.com/donald-trump-will-never-stop-retweeting-white-supremaci-1761721723 -- who lists #WhiteGenocide on his profile] literally thinks DJT's the Savior.

The following tweet (from Neil Turner's account) was posted 7-24-16.

That's kinda sick...
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
That's kinda sick...
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2016/03/ivanka_trump_makes_donald_even_scarier.html
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/287919/donald-trump-ivanka-daddys-little-girl/

Yes, it is "disturbing" @txradioguy ~ And considering the patting-hands-on-hips actions of DJT with Ivanka at convention, this picture bothers me too. I mean doesn't every father grab his daughter's upper arms [for no apparent reason] right there by the armholes?

Donald Trump and Ivanka Trump during a 1991 event at the Plaza Hotel in New York City.
Ron Galella/WireImage
America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2016/03/ivanka_trump_makes_donald_even_scarier.html
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/287919/donald-trump-ivanka-daddys-little-girl/

Yes, it is "disturbing" @txradioguy ~ And considering the patting-hands-on-hips actions of DJT with Ivanka at convention, this picture bothers me too. I mean doesn't every father grab his daughter's upper arms [for no apparent reason] right there by the armholes?

Donald Trump and Ivanka Trump during a 1991 event at the Plaza Hotel in New York City.
Ron Galella/WireImage

I have three daughters and at no time have I ever done that.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
My husband concurs regarding our own daughter too.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/donald-trump-awkwardly-hugs-melania-ivanka-expert-weighs-in-w430543

Body language expert Patti Wood spoke with Us Weekly on Friday, July 22, to break down the Republican presidential nominee’s cringeworthy embraces with Melania, 46, and Ivanka, 34....

When it comes to Donald’s hug with Ivanka, who introduced the real-estate tycoon turned politician at Thursday night’s gathering, Wood tells Us that his hand placement was inappropriate. As viewers witnessed, the business mogul showed his appreciation for his daughter’s glowing statements by kissing her cheeks and then placing his hands on her lower hips.

“He patted her in a sexually dismissive way. That repetitive pat with open hands on that location is usually a set of body language cues to say, ‘The sex with you, it was good,’ or, ‘That was fun sexual play,’” Wood says. “I want to be clear that is not even a pat you would give to a child under the age of 5. You would pat them higher up on the back.”
I wonder what William F. Buckley would have to say about this.

Offline ConstitutionRose

I have 3 sisters (4 girls no boys) and my Dad never did that either.  The more I see pictures of them together the more I am convinced there is something wrong in that relationship. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
I have 3 sisters (4 girls no boys) and my Dad never did that either.  The more I see pictures of them together the more I am convinced there is something wrong in that relationship.
You could be right @ConstitutionRose  :shrug:  Alls I know is that inappropriate sexual touching has been used as a means of control since forever.

That might be why women who feel they were violated in some way or another by him, are not coming forward; however, Jill Harth has recently retained a lawyer, as she is honked off that the Donald recently inferred to her story as a lie:

https://twitter.com/jillharth/status/746190949231927298

And did you see this perchance? The Donald needs to exercise self-control: http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/279254/donald-trump-sex-ivanka-wendy-williams/

[Advance the video to 1:56.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCYAz06_Ppg

Offline Victoria33

I also share this thinking.
The one advantage I would give Trump is national security unless proven otherwise

Never put a mentally deranged man, Trump, in charge of the military and the red button.  His mental illness requires him to put down, castigate, every person on earth to prove he is the best person on earth and that includes the leader of every country on the planet.  He has already ticked off England, one of our allies and the few Arab countries who are our allies. 

He has already pounced on countries in NATO, which are our allies.  I doubt he even knows which countries are in it.  Actually, he called the name of one country in NATO and that country isn't in NATO.  He is likely to start WWIII, Hillary will not.

So, of all the reasons I would not vote for him, it is national security that is the main reason I would not vote for him.  He is totally incompetent to deal with other countries due to his mental derangement of proving he is better than any person, any country leader on earth.  Lyin Cruz, Little Rubio, what names will he call country leaders and he will do it.
@CatherineofAragon
@mystery-ak
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 02:58:33 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Never put a mentally deranged man, Trump, in charge of the military and the red button.  His mental illness requires him to put down, castigate, every person on earth to prove he is the best person on earth and that includes the leader of every country on the planet.  He has already ticked off England, one of our allies and the few Arab countries who are our allies. 

He has already pounced on countries in NATO, which are our allies.  I doubt he even knows which countries are in it.  Actually, he called the name of one country in NATO and that country isn't in NATO.  He is likely to start WWIII, Hillary will not.

So, of all the reasons I would not vote for him, it is national security that is the main reason I would not vote for him.  He is totally incompetent to deal with other countries due to his mental derangement of proving he is better than any person, any country leader on earth.  Lyin Cruz, Little Rubio, what names will he call country leaders and he will do it.
@CatherineofAragon
@mystery-ak

I wouldn't cut Trump any breaks on national security either. It sounds to me like he wants to outsource global security (and by extension our national security) to long time adversary Russia. Just because Obama is afraid of Putin doesn't mean electing the guy who has a crush on Putin is a better idea.

This General Flynn who is advising Trump has raised a few concerns as well. He seems to have the same problem as Trump and retweets comments sent by open antisemites and has commented that disarming Israel would bring peace to the mideast.

Offline Resp3

Curse you, @EasyAce!  I have lots of work to do today, and now you've dangled this in front of me!!

And if you haven't watched 'Best of Enemies' (Vidal/Buckley) - do so....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3518012/

debrawiest

What it shows is that Trump hasn't changed a bit.

The question is, why have those who despised him just a few years ago fallen to outright worship today.

Because they have absolutely no ability to discern.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

.....or Jedi Mind Tricks....
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline kartographer

Lonesome Rhodes: Rednecks, crackers, hillbillies, hausfraus, shut-ins, pea-pickers - everybody that's got to jump when somebody else blows the whistle. They don't know it yet, but they're all gonna be 'Fighters for Fuller'. They're mine! I own 'em! They think like I do. Only they're even more stupid than I am, so I gotta think for 'em.
Charley Waite: "Well you may not know this, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying."

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
A larger number of his followers share the same narcissist traits as their leader..........

“Lying is second nature to him,” Schwartz said. “More than anyone else I have ever met, Trump has the ability to convince himself that whatever he is saying at any given moment is true, or sort of true, or at least ought to be true.”

In his journal, Schwartz wrote, “Trump stands for many of the things I abhor: his willingness to run over people, the gaudy, tacky, gigantic obsessions, the absolute lack of interest in anything beyond power and money.”

Schwartz told me that Trump’s need for attention is “completely compulsive,” and that his bid for the Presidency is part of a continuum. “He’s managed to keep increasing the dose for forty years,” Schwartz said. After he’d spent decades as a tabloid titan, “the only thing left was running for President. If he could run for emperor of the world, he would.”

In December of 1987, a month after the book was published, Trump hosted an extravagant book party in the pink marble atrium of Trump Tower. Klieg lights lit a red carpet outside the building. Inside, nearly a thousand guests, in black tie, were served champagne and fed slices of a giant cake replica of Trump Tower, which was wheeled in by a parade of women waving red sparklers. The boxing promoter Don King greeted the crowd in a floor-length mink coat, and the comedian Jackie Mason introduced Donald and Ivana with the words “Here comes the king and queen!”

Donald Trump’s Ghostwriter Tells All

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman

Offline Victoria33

Donald Trump’s Ghostwriter Tells All
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

@ExFreeper

by Victoria33: 
Thank you ExFreeper for posting that link -  I copied the whole article and put it in a Word document.  It is ten pages long with narrow margins.  I have gone through it and selected those comments/paragraphs that deal with Trump’s behavior.  It describes Trump’s behavior as I have also noted on numerous threads here.  The difference in my writing/opinion and Schwarz’s writing/opinion is, he had Trump right there with him for these months.  He saw Trump’s behavior right in front of him.  Most interesting is Schwartz believes, as I do, Trump will likely use nuclear bombs and destroy civilization. 

by Victoria33: 
Tony Schwartz, the ghost writer who wrote, “Art of the Deal”, stayed with Trump for many months.  It took a year for Schwartz to write the book.  After Trump announced his campaign for the presidency, Schwartz kept quiet but when he saw Trump could win, he was so disturbed, he gave his opinion of Trump based on the time he spent with Trump while writing the book.   Here are the portions I noted concerning Trump’s behavior (a reporter at The New Yorker, Jane Mayer, interviewed Schwartz).  Consider the below in quotes:

Trump appeared to have convinced himself that he had written the book. Schwartz recalls thinking, “If he could lie about that on Day One—when it was so easily refuted—he is likely to lie about anything.”

But the prospect of President Trump terrified him. It wasn’t because of Trump’s ideology—Schwartz doubted that he had one. The problem was Trump’s personality, which he considered pathologically impulsive and self-centered.

“I put lipstick on a pig,” he said. “I feel a deep sense of remorse that I contributed to presenting Trump in a way that brought him wider attention and made him more appealing than he is.” He went on, “I genuinely believe that if Trump wins and gets the nuclear codes there is an excellent possibility it will lead to the end of civilization.”

If he were writing “The Art of the Deal” today, Schwartz said, it would be a very different book with a very different title. Asked what he would call it, he answered, “The Sociopath.”

“I was shocked,” Schwartz told me. “Trump didn’t fit any model of human being I’d ever met. He was obsessed with publicity, and he didn’t care what you wrote.” He went on, “Trump only takes two positions. Either you’re a scummy loser, liar, whatever, or you’re the greatest.

But the discussion was soon hobbled by what Schwartz regards as one of Trump’s most essential characteristics: “He has no attention span.”

For the book, though, Trump needed to provide him with sustained, thoughtful recollections. He asked Trump to describe his childhood in detail. After sitting for only a few minutes in his suit and tie, Trump became impatient and irritable. He looked fidgety, Schwartz recalls, “like a kindergartner who can’t sit still in a classroom.” Even when Schwartz pressed him, Trump seemed to remember almost nothing of his youth, and made it clear that he was bored. Far more quickly than Schwartz had expected, Trump ended the meeting.   Week after week, the pattern repeated itself. Schwartz tried to limit the sessions to smaller increments of time, but Trump’s contributions remained oddly truncated and superficial. 

And that is that it’s impossible to keep him focused on any topic, other than his own self-aggrandizement, for more than a few minutes, and even then . . . ” Schwartz trailed off, shaking his head in amazement. He regards Trump’s inability to concentrate as alarming in a Presidential candidate. “If he had to be briefed on a crisis in the Situation Room, it’s impossible to imagine him paying attention over a long period of time,” he said.

But Schwartz believes that Trump’s short attention span has left him with “a stunning level of superficial knowledge and plain ignorance.” He said, “That’s why he so prefers TV as his first news source—information comes in easily digestible sound bites.” He added, “I seriously doubt that Trump has ever read a book straight through in his adult life.” During the eighteen months that he observed Trump, Schwartz said, he never saw a book on Trump’s desk, or elsewhere in his office, or in his apartment. 

Growing desperate, Schwartz devised a strategy for trapping Trump into giving more material. He made plans to spend the weekend with Trump at Mar-a-Lago, his mansion in Palm Beach, where there would be fewer distractions. As they chatted in the garden, Ivana icily walked by, clearly annoyed that Schwartz was competing for her husband’s limited free time. Trump again grew impatient. Long before lunch on Saturday, Schwartz recalls, Trump “essentially threw a fit.” He stood up and announced that he couldn’t stand any more questions.  Schwartz went to his room, called his literary agent, Kathy Robbins, and told her that he couldn’t do the book.

This year, Schwartz has heard some argue that there must be a more thoughtful and nuanced version of Donald Trump that he is keeping in reserve for after the campaign. “There isn’t,” Schwartz insists. “There is no private Trump.” This is not a matter of hindsight. While working on “The Art of the Deal,” Schwartz kept a journal in which he expressed his amazement at Trump’s personality, writing that Trump seemed driven entirely by a need for public attention. “All he is, is, ‘stomp, stomp, stomp’—recognition from outside, bigger, more, a whole series of things that go nowhere in particular,” he observed, on October 21, 1986.

“Lying is second nature to him,” Schwartz said. “More than anyone else I have ever met, Trump has the ability to convince himself that whatever he is saying at any given moment is true, or sort of true, or at least ought to be true.” Often, Schwartz said, the lies that Trump told him were about money—“how much he had paid for something, or what a building he owned was worth, or how much one of his casinos was earning when it was actually on its way to bankruptcy.”

Schwartz says of Trump, “He lied strategically. He had a complete lack of conscience about it.” Since most people are “constrained by the truth,” Trump’s indifference to it “gave him a strange advantage.”  When challenged about the facts, Schwartz says, Trump would often double down, repeat himself, and grow belligerent.

“Of course he’s in it for the money,” he said. “One of the most deep and basic needs he has is to prove that ‘I’m richer than you.’ ” As for the idea that making deals is a form of poetry, Schwartz says, “He was incapable of saying something like that—it wouldn’t even be in his vocabulary.” He saw Trump as driven not by a pure love of deal making but by an insatiable hunger for “money, praise, and celebrity.” Often, after spending the day with Trump, and watching him pile one hugely expensive project atop the next, like a circus performer spinning plates, Schwartz would go home and tell his wife, “He’s a living black hole!”

Schwartz reminded himself that he was being paid to tell Trump’s story, not his own, but the more he worked on the project the more disturbing he found it. In his journal, he describes the hours he spent with Trump as “draining” and “deadening.” Schwartz told me that Trump’s need for attention is “completely compulsive,” and that his bid for the Presidency is part of a continuum. “He’s managed to keep increasing the dose for forty years,” Schwartz said. After he’d spent decades as a tabloid titan, “the only thing left was running for President. If he could run for emperor of the world, he would.”

But Schwartz noticed little warmth or communication between Trump and Ivana, and he later learned that while “The Art of the Deal” was being written Trump began an affair with Marla Maples, who became his second wife. (He divorced Ivana in 1992.) As far as Schwartz could tell, Trump spent very little time with his family and had no close friends.

Trump’s lawyer, Roy Cohn, who in the fifties assisted Senator Joseph McCarthy in his vicious crusade against Communism, was closeted. He felt abandoned by Trump when he became fatally ill from aids, and said, “Donald pisses ice water.” Schwartz says of Trump, “He’d like people when they were helpful, and turn on them when they weren’t.  It was all about what you could do for him.”

O’Brien (a journalist who wrote, “Trump Nation”) said, ‘The Apprentice’ is mythmaking on steroids. There’s a straight line from the book to the TV show to the 2016 campaign.”

Because I think Schwartz's message is important, I made a notify list of those I think are similar in thought and it is below.  If you don't want on this list, send me a private message and I will remove your name.  If your name is not here and you want future notifications, also send me a private message.
@geronl
@mrpotatohead
@EC
@mlizzy
@mystery-ak
@don-o
@starstruck
@Bigun
@Hoodat
@Cripplecreek
@Smokin Joe
@Timber Rattler