Author Topic: Convention Crowd Cheers and Later Jeered Ted Cruz After they Realized He would Not Give a Formal Endorsement  (Read 743 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

Apparently Trump saw Ted Cruz's speech in advance:

Twitter @REALDONALDTRUMP

WOW! Ted Cruz got booed off the stage, didn't honor the pledge! I saw his speech two hours early but let him speak anyway, No Big Deal!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:57:43 am by SirLinksALot »

geronl

Principles? I suppose if "me first" is a principle.

Find me anything about himself in that speech. You won't. There was no greed there. You just have to make things up.

Trump talks nothing except about himself. Trump only cares about himself. He has always been that way.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
He just created a #NeverCruz movement and ensured he will never have a shot at winning a GOP nomination in the future. Mr Trump quite graciously offered him a key speaking slot and the chance to keep his pledge to support the nominee. Cruz, ungraciously, failed to keep his word. Two effects....in the short run this helps Trump significantly with Republicans very few of whom can stand Cruz, particularly now that he's demonstrated his lack of courage and class.

Second, in the long term, you can simply take Cruz out of the 2020 equation as he will now be shunned by most voters in the GOP. The hard core Cruzies will stay with him, but that 10% isn't enough to get him anywhere significant. Teds pettiness has finally caught up to him, and exposed his selfish character. Sad, really.

Cruz was supporting the nominee by being there and making a case against Hillary.  I find it insulting that Trump would even expect an formal endorsement after the smear campaign he ran against Cruz and his family.

And then there is this:

In fact, the source added, a few hours before the speech, the Trump campaign had been in negotiations with Cruz for Cruz to play a larger role in the campaign, including advising on Israel policy. Minutes after the speech ended, the source noted, the Trump campaign instantly informed them that the offer had been withdrawn.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7665/exclusive-cruz-camp-trump-campaign-approved-speech-ben-shapiro

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
Find me anything about himself in that speech. You won't. There was no greed there. You just have to make things up.

Trump talks nothing except about himself. Trump only cares about himself. He has always been that way.

Exactly.  Cruz stood on principle, integrity, and honor.  Something Trump would know nothing about. 

Offline ConstitutionRose

The pathetic, childish display of what the GOP has evidently become illustrates why, tomorrow, I will no longer be a member of the Republican Party.

While I have continued to vote Republucan faithfully,  I have not been  registered member of that party in a decade.  In my state a registered independent can choose which ballot to vote during primaries.  For the most part I am pleased with the coming crop of Republican candidates down ticket.  The party has failed it's members, the voters and this country in so many ways.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline ConstitutionRose

He just created a #NeverCruz movement and ensured he will never have a shot at winning a GOP nomination in the future. Mr Trump quite graciously offered him a key speaking slot and the chance to keep his pledge to support the nominee. Cruz, ungraciously, failed to keep his word. Two effects....in the short run this helps Trump significantly with Republicans very few of whom can stand Cruz, particularly now that he's demonstrated his lack of courage and class.

Second, in the long term, you can simply take Cruz out of the 2020 equation as he will now be shunned by most voters in the GOP. The hard core Cruzies will stay with him, but that 10% isn't enough to get him anywhere significant. Teds pettiness has finally caught up to him, and exposed his selfish character. Sad, really.

Well there are several things about your post, i.e. "graciously offered" - Cruz earned that since he came in second.  Most importantly, the lay of the land politically is very, very fluid.  I would not so glibly write off Ted Cruz based on what happened yesterday.  Particularly in the light of this particular campaign.  You are obviously very passionate about Trump right now.  It will be interesting for all of us to look back on this in December and then over time. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.