Author Topic: Mrs. Trump's Speechwriter Confesses: 'Mistake' Made with Speech Because Melania 'Always Liked' Michelle  (Read 1678 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: PJ Media

URL: https://pjmedia.com/election/2016/07/20/speechwriter-mistake-made-with-speech-because-melania-always-liked-michelle/

by: Bridget Johnson

The speechwriter who helped Melania Trump draft her Republican National Convention speech said the passages similar to Michelle Obama's 2008 Democratic National Convention speech arose out of Trump's admiration for the current first lady.

The New York Times reported that speechwriters Matthew Scully and John McConnell turned in a draft to Trump last month, but only a few lines from their draft were used in what was eventually delivered.

Melania reportedly sought rewriting help from a former ballet dancer and English major described by the campaign as an "in-house staff writer from the Trump Organization" who had worked on some of her husband's books.

In a "to whom it may concern" statement today on Trump Organization letterhead, Meredith McIver also described herself as "a longtime friend and admirer of the Trump family."

"In working with Melania Trump on her recent First Lady speech, we discussed many people who inspired her and messages she wanted to share with the American people," McIver wrote. "A person she has always liked is Michelle Obama."

"Over the phone, she read me some passages from Mrs. Obama's speech as examples. I wrote them down and later included some of the phrasing in the draft that ultimately became the final speech. I did not check Mrs. Obama's speeches. This was my mistake, and I feel terrible for the chaos I have caused Melania and the Trumps, as well as to Mrs. Obama. No harm was meant."

McIver said she offered her resignation to the Trumps on Tuesday "but they rejected it."

"Mr. Trump told me that people make innocent mistakes and that we learn and grow from these experiences," she said, adding that she asked to release the fall-on-the-sword statement "because I did not like seeing the way this was distracting from Mr. Trump's historic campaign for president and Melania's beautiful message and presentation."

"I apologize for the confusion and hysteria my mistake has caused."

Coinciding with the release of McIver's statement, Donald Trump tweeted: "Good news is Melania's speech got more publicity than any in the history of politics especially if you believe that all press is good press!"

Trump convention manager Paul Manafort, who originally said there was "no cribbing" from Obama's speech, said at a news conference Tuesday that "these are themes that are personal to her, but they're personal to a lot of people depending on the stories of their lives."

"Obviously, Michelle Obama feels very, very much similar sentiments towards her family," Manafort said.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:34:36 pm by SirLinksALot »

geronl

What happened to the claim that she wrote it herself?

geronl

Isn't it illegal for the Trump Organization to act as part of the scampaign?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
So is anyone keeping count of how many lies this is?

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sinkspur

Yes.  Can't use Trump letterhead or Trump employees.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline LMAO

If Trump expects to win in Nov, he is going to have to fire people and totally re do his campaign and strategy. This appears to be a case of too many cooks spoil the soup. Everyone is running around doing their own thing in the Trump camp and thatisn't going to beat Hillary and dismissing the problems that this campaign has as one particular poster does isn't going to help
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
What happened to the claim that she wrote it herself?

I think we now have a full fledged Bimbo Eruption on Aisle 7.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sinkspur

In a normal campaign, a speech as important as Melania's would have been vetted by a Communications Director and the Campaign Manager.  Apparently, they never asked to see it.

Trump's campaign is operating on a shoe string, which is why speeches go unvetted and corporate resources are being used on the campaign.

There have been at least TEN excuses given for this fiasco, the latest one implicating Melania herself.

Apparently, plagiarism is no big deal in Eastern Europe.

http://acta.mendelu.cz/media/pdf/actaun_2012060070071.pdf

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Also, as a point of stupidity of running a competent campaign, why wouldn't this come out tomorrow?   Doing it the day of his acceptance speech??????   LMAO.

Offline Henry Noel

If Trump expects to win in Nov, he is going to have to fire people and totally re do his campaign and strategy. This appears to be a case of too many cooks spoil the soup. Everyone is running around doing their own thing in the Trump camp and thatisn't going to beat Hillary and dismissing the problems that this campaign has as one particular poster does isn't going to help

I don't think he's in it to win ... at least not by becoming President.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

geronl

I don't think he's in it to win ... at least not by becoming President.

He might be dropping out and staying home in mid-October.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
He might be dropping out and staying home in mid-October.

After two months of the Clinton Slime machine?  Good chance.

Offline sinkspur

Trump is cheap:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=216702.new#new

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
That loud whirling sound that you hear is Mechanicos trying to figure out how to spin more shit into shinola.

Offline uglybiker

Melania 'Always Liked' Michelle

@Cyber Liberty

She's got a thing for wookies?  :tongue2:
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Yes.  Can't use Trump letterhead or Trump employees.
I think it is allowed but has to be reported in FEC filings; the campaign has to be charged the fair market value of any goods or services.  But it is a grey area and ripe for abuse and most other candidates who owned private companies have avoided doing so.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9f7412236962464f9f2c0a8d2696ba25/trumps-campaign-cycles-6-million-trump-companies

Finance reports filed with the Federal Election Commission detail a campaign unafraid to co-mingle political and business endeavors in an unprecedented way.

Wealthy political candidates in the past, including New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and presidential contender Steve Forbes both walled off their campaigns from the companies bearing their names.

Not so for Trump. Through the end of May, his campaign had plowed about $6 million back into Trump corporate products and services, a review of federal filings shows. That's nearly 10 percent of his expenditures.

There's nothing illegal about it. Regulations do require companies— even ones owned by the candidate— to charge fair-market value so as not to run afoul of a ban on corporate campaign contributions.

They also require some complicated record-keeping.

For instance, FEC reports show the campaign making about $400,000 in payments to Trump. But that's a campaign finance accounting quirk. What's actually happened is that Trump donated $400,000 in campaign office space and some salaries of company employees who have been working on his presidential bid.

Yet Trump's companies also charge his campaign for goods and services, putting him at risk of appearing to be a self-dealer. That's why Forbes and Bloomberg avoided the issue altogether, former aides said.

"You just never want to have to worry about any blurred lines with personal, corporate, in-kind and contributor money," said Bill Dal Col, who ran Forbes' unsuccessful 1996 and 2000 White House campaigns.

One more complication: The $46 million worth of loans Trump made to his campaign can be repaid with donor money, even though he insists he won't do that.

BTW – what is the status of the monies Trump “loaned” his campaign? Did he ever convert them to contributions?

:pondering:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause