Author Topic: Plagiarism? Let's Compare Melania and Michelle Obama's Speeches Side by Side (Cribbing Experts, Do your Job)  (Read 1144 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: AMERICAN THINKER

URL: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/07/get_melania_plagiarism_charges_thrown_at_trumps_first_lady_in_waiting.html

by: Thomas Lifson

By most accounts, Melania Trump’s speech top the GOP Convention was a success – until charges flew that she had plagiarized a speech given by Michelle Obama to the 2008 Democratic National Convention.  First noted on Twitter by Jarrett Hill, a small portion of Melania’s speech bore a strong resemblance to Michelle’s. Here is a side-by-side comparison:

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE VIDEO ...

And here is the text of each:

Here’s what Michelle Obama said in 2008:

And Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you’re going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don’t know them, and even if you don’t agree with them.

And Barack and I set out to build lives guided by these values, and pass them on to the next generation. Because we want our children — and all children in this nation — to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.

Here’s Melania’s:

From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond, and you do what you say and keep your promise. That you treat people with respect. They taught and showed me values and morals in their daily life.

That is a lesson that I continue to pass along to our son. And we need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow. Because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline SirLinksALot

ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLE,

If Melania plagiarized Michelle, then Michelle plagiarized others. Compare Michelle’s words with the advice found in a 1992 book about doing business in Africa (see here: https://books.google.com/books?id=mCA1AQAAIAAJ&q=%22your+word+is+your+bond%22+%22you+work+hard%22&dq=%22your+word+is+your+bond%22+%22you+work+hard%22) :

Michelle in 2008:

"And Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you're going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don't know them, and even if you don't agree with them.

Rob Marsh in 1992

"...is based upon the application of certain basic truths: that integrity is all important, that your word is your bond, that if you owe a person money you pay him back, that you work hard, enjoy what you do and show a loyalty to those with whom you work and do business. He instilled in me simple, clear cut values and a will to succeed."

Do the political swells so concerned with this “scandal” really think that anyone’s vote would be swayed by whether Melania voiced the same bromides as Michelle?

Offline SirLinksALot

Find any similarities between Barack Obama's speech and Deval Patrick's?

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgfGTXaqoWQ

Offline sinkspur

The denials are what are keeping this story alive.

Here's what Manafort should say:

"In the process of helping Mrs. Trump, writers mistakenly included unoriginal material. We apologize & it won't happen again."
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline RedHead

ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLE,

If Melania plagiarized Michelle, then Michelle plagiarized others. Compare Michelle’s words with the advice found in a 1992 book about doing business in Africa (see here: https://books.google.com/books?id=mCA1AQAAIAAJ&q=%22your+word+is+your+bond%22+%22you+work+hard%22&dq=%22your+word+is+your+bond%22+%22you+work+hard%22) :

Michelle in 2008:

Rob Marsh in 1992

Do the political swells so concerned with this “scandal” really think that anyone’s vote would be swayed by whether Melania voiced the same bromides as Michelle?

Except that unlike Michelle Obama and the 1992 book, Melania Trump used virtually the same words, exactly the same points, in exactly the same order as Michelle Obama's 2008 speech.  It's plagiarism.   Test book.

Offline sinkspur

Find any similarities between Barack Obama's speech and Deval Patrick's?

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgfGTXaqoWQ

The difference here is that Obama acknowledged he cribbed from Patrick.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
This is so stupid. Not a Trump fan but really, any of these phrases could be cribbed from a random High School valecdictorian speech or a Miss America pageant (more likely come to think of it).

Offline sinkspur

This is so stupid. Not a Trump fan but really, any of these phrases could be cribbed from a random High School valecdictorian speech or a Miss America pageant (more likely come to think of it).

In the exact order, with the exact phrasing?  Not a chance.  This was clearly plagiarism and the brouhaha will continue until the Trump campaign acknowledges it.

Offline Just_Victor

In the exact order, with the exact phrasing?  Not a chance.  This was clearly plagiarism and the brouhaha will continue until the Trump campaign acknowledges it.

If the speech writers started with focus group polling about which phrases play well to the American public, it would be very easy to end up with same values narrative that Michelle used, written based upon similar data.

Having said that, I don't think it reduces the embarrassment to the campaign for not checking the speech against published sources.  Just ask any college professor, plagiarism search engines are cheap and quick, and would have caught this in seconds.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Suppressed

They've actually acknowledged that it was "inadvertent" plagiarism and have apologized.

So it's funny to see his supporters still running around trying to claim it wasn't!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn