Author Topic: The Vineyard  (Read 39744 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: The Vineyard
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2016, 03:17:02 pm »
Good news, indeed. It can be frustrating when you know exactly which wine you want, only to find it's not available locally (as was my friends' problem, described above). I live in somewhat of a wine wasteland (small town with not very sophisticated tastes) and usually stock up when I cross state lines and hit the big city.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2016, 03:40:43 pm »
Good news, indeed. It can be frustrating when you know exactly which wine you want, only to find it's not available locally (as was my friends' problem, described above). I live in somewhat of a wine wasteland (small town with not very sophisticated tastes) and usually stock up when I cross state lines and hit the big city.

Tell me about it...I found several intriguing Spatleses and Ausleses that were priced well at Truly Fine Wines, only to discover at checkout they don't ship to Texas. I went to Wine.com, and ordered a few, including a Spatlese that was priced at $33 a bottle. A bit pricey, but it was before I found the other website.

The Texas wine industry is becoming more of a player with each year. Don't have the link, but in-state consumption was such there wasn't much left over for sales outside the state. Anecdotally, I see it at Lost Oak winery: they now schedule bimonthly wine club pickups for two weekends, they just completed a major expansion of their banquet facilities, and they're selling some wines for "members only."

For couples that desire to get married at Lost Oak, you need to book it at least a year in advance. It's become one of the most favored locations for weddings in the Metroplex.

I need to get off my butt and reserve a spot for my daughter's 30th birthday party in July...lol.

BTW, I taught my 6 YO grandson the proper pronunciation of "hochgewachs" yesterday...lol.

Riesling-Hochgewächs [7] | German | PDO (1) | White quality wine, exclusively produced from grapes of the wine grape variety Riesling, the must used for production has shown a natural alcoholic strength which is at least 1,5 % by volume higher than the natural minimum alcoholic strength prescribed for the specified wine-growing zone or the part of it in which the grapes have been harvested, and which has achieved a quality number of at least 3,0 in the quality test.   

Last summer, I was in Fredericksburg on vacation, at one of the many wine bars/stores there. Everytime I've been there, I've found really good German wine. While I'm talking with the sales lady, she asked me for help, "someone came in asking for a Riesling that had an "h" word with it."

Immediately, I replied they must have been referring to hochgewachs. LOL, she was impressed, saying "you pronounced it perfectly."
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:46:07 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 04:15:36 pm »
"Gewürztraminer" took a few tries before I pronounced it correctly.  :laugh:

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2016, 06:38:11 pm »
"Gewürztraminer" took a few tries before I pronounced it correctly.  :laugh:

I only say that word when I'm sober... :silly:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 02:07:04 pm »
The shipment arrived last night, several days ahead of schedule. I opened a bottle of Spatlese, and it was as good as I remember, though the memories that came back were even better.

The process from start to finish was simple, as they have a PayPal account.

If you are a wine enthusiast, I highly recommend Weingut Eduard Kroth in Briedel, Germany. They ship to Texas, which is a rarity, so I think they ship to most states.

http://www.weingut-kroth.de/

I knew Bartho's father well, as I'd visit the winery at least every six weeks my last 3 years in Germany. The winery was about a 10-15 minute drive from my apartment in Traben-Trarbach. We just hung out and shot the bull for 2-3 hours at a time. I recall how he loved to talk about cars, and he really liked my Volvo 242 GT. He educated me during every visit, while going through a typical wine tasting. He started with Kabinett, followed by Spatlese, Auslese, and depending on time, Beerenauslese and Trockenbeerenauslese.  Every now and then, he'd open a bottle of Eiswein from his personal stock. It wasn't for sale, as he typed the labels himself.

As to my first purchase, I bought a case consisting of six Spatlese and six Auslese, all were silver or gold medal winners. The recent strength of the dollar vs the Euro reduced my cost further. Including shipping, I paid less than $200 for the case. Judging by prices I've seen for similar vintages, I paid about 40% of retail.

As you view the offerings, consider that the Euro is now less than 1.1 to the dollar. However, don't expect your significant other to buy the rationale of "this is a play on the Euro"...   :silly:

My wife didn't...but she hasn't tasted it yet. She's always liked Rieslings, as I found out on our first date nearly 35 years ago. I took her to a restaurant I had taken other "first dates" to, and they had a "special wine list" that you had to ask for. On that list were several Mosel wines, giving me the opportunity to talk about the town of origin, and what it was like to live in Germany. It was a great icebreaker.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 02:31:51 pm »
Great memories, NHN, and thanks for the tip about ordering from the winery.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2016, 07:32:45 pm »
As expected, my wife didn't buy the "Euro play" meme...lol.

However, she didn't seem too upset over my purchase of an 18 bottle, dual zone wine cooler. It's able to handle up to a dozen of the elongated bottles that are more prevalent these days.

I think it was reasonably priced, $200 +/-. If/when we move to another house, I think I'll look for a built-in model.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 08:52:22 pm »
Just a mid-week bump...

My daughter and I picked up our wine club selections on Sunday, mine included a frizzante gewürztraminer and a blended red. I also picked up a couple bottles of Shiraz. That limited vintage was going fast.

My grandson was well behaved, and made some new friends at the winery. Like his Opa, he's not afraid to strike up conversations with people. He cracked me up while pouring his can of Sprite into a cup, he said, "Opa, this is my hochgewachs!"

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2016, 11:32:58 am »
Llano Estacado winery just received a big endorsement from a surprising source:  my wife.

They stopped on the return home from El Paso for a nephew's graduation. I was glad to stay home and supervise a son who had to study for tests this week.

She bought 3 bottles...she never does that!  lol  Seriously, if you're ever traveling through Lubbock, a trip to Llano Estacado will be well worth your time. I recall they had three levels of wine tasting, and I found their "free" level to be quite good. Next time, I'll try their $20 level for "educational purposes."

On an unrelated note, I can happily confirm that a good Riesling Spatlese pairs perfectly with spicy chile. We're having a chili cookoff at work today, and my batch had a nice kick to it. Opened up a bottle of a 2013 Spatlese that I bought from the German winery, and it cooled down my mouth immediately.

My recipe was simple: two pounds of veal, large can of tomato puree, large can of diced tomatoes, a large jar of Hatch chili, one can of black beans, one red onion diced, and assorted spices...maybe I should have avoided the teaspoon of cayenne, that might have been overkill. Next batch will likely have two cans of black beans, but there's a few people I work with that prefer chili without beans. I also added a bottle of Hofbrau Original.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:37:38 am by Night Hides Not »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2016, 01:04:34 pm »
The idea of Texas wines is intriguing, not that I'll have the chance (or reason) to visit the Lonestar State anytime soon. One of these days Mr. M and I should visit a local winery. I suspect the offerings will be sweeter than we like, but no harm in tasting. We bought a bottle of local wine when we visited Gettysburg (can't remember the variety) and it was just okay. We passed a few wineries in eastern Ohio on our way to visit relatives north of Canton a few days ago; perhaps we'll give 'em a try.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2016, 07:27:53 pm »
According to the AT Wineries interactive map at www.atwineries.com, there are 15 wineries in West Virginia. I find that extremely intriguing.

Which raises the question, could the state transition from a coal economy to a wine and tourism type economy? I look at how Lost Oak Winery has grown over the 3 years we've been wine club members. They've added facilities to handle events such as weddings and birthdays, and they're currently unable to meet the demand for their wine, i.e. they bring in grapes from elsewhere, such as Lubbock/Texas High Plains AVA.

I don't know the percentage of growth in their staff, but I see new faces along with the old during every visit. Their bimonthly wine club pickup now takes place over two weekends due to the growth they've experienced.

The Texas wine industry has exploded, yet their production has yet to sate local demand. Hopefully in 2017, they'll be exporting more. I doubt CA, OR, & WA gives us a thought, but that's ok with us.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2016, 06:44:20 pm »
Damaging insect found in Colorado's largest wine region

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/state-news/damaging-insect-found-in-colorados-largest-wine-region

DENVER (AP) -- State officials say an insect that attacks grapes has been found in Colorado's largest wine producing area.

The state agriculture department said Wednesday that federal officials had confirmed the presence of phylloxera (Fa-LOX'-ah-rah) in Mesa County's Grand Valley wine region, home to nearly 75 percent of Colorado's grape acreage.

The department says it and Colorado State University are investigating the source of the aphid-like bug and working with the vineyard owner to eradicate it. They're also working to determine the extent of the infestation.

The insect is native to the eastern and southeastern United States. It has spread to many wine regions around the world and devastated vineyards in Europe in the 19th century. According to the state, this is the first time it's been detected in a commercial vineyard in Colorado.

This is a situation that needs to be watched closely.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2016, 04:56:15 pm »
Not a recent article, but interesting nonetheless. IMO, it bodes very well for other wine states, such as Oregon, Washington, and Texas.

The bustling Napa and Sonoma County real estate market continues to thrive into summer 2016.

http://vineyardandwinerysales.com/newsletter/napa-and-sonoma-county-real-estate-market-elements-vineyard-values-and-wine-grape-prices/

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2016, 05:46:09 pm »
Not a recent article, but interesting nonetheless. IMO, it bodes very well for other wine states, such as Oregon, Washington, and Texas.

The bustling Napa and Sonoma County real estate market continues to thrive into summer 2016.

http://vineyardandwinerysales.com/newsletter/napa-and-sonoma-county-real-estate-market-elements-vineyard-values-and-wine-grape-prices/

Interesting. Seeing a definite expansion of Vineyards in this area at least by my drive by noticing of them.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2016, 06:24:58 pm »
Interesting. Seeing a definite expansion of Vineyards in this area at least by my drive by noticing of them.

I learn something new every day. The Nampa/Twin Falls area looks like a great area to visit. Of course, I'd also add Coeur d'Alene to my route, owing to its closeness to Spokane, where I went to college.

Looks like a great area for wine (Nampa), south of the 45th parallel. Grapes for wine are found between 50-70 degrees latitude. By comparison, the Mittelmosel area is at 50 degrees latitude. Calgary is at 51 degrees, and I located a few wineries in Alberta.

There is apparently room for further growth in the industry. I believe Texas has advanced to the 6th largest state, and last year's production was barely enough to satisfy local demand. The dominance California has in terms of production is simply staggering, over 80% of US production. The increasing land cost in California is obviously sending investors/growers to other states.

My palate is not sophisticated enough to notice the difference between a $150 Napa cabernet and a $25 cabernet from my favorite winery. The most important lesson I've learned about wine is, if you like it, it's good wine.

Here's a great website, from Jeff Siegel, the Wine Curmudgeon:

https://www.winecurmudgeon.com/

Jeff's a self-styled expert on "cheap" wine, with a targeted price of under $12. I'm looking forward to his "2017 Hall of Fame" to be announced in about ten days.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2016, 06:46:35 pm »
I learn something new every day. The Nampa/Twin Falls area looks like a great area to visit. Of course, I'd also add Coeur d'Alene to my route, owing to its closeness to Spokane, where I went to college.

Looks like a great area for wine (Nampa), south of the 45th parallel. Grapes for wine are found between 50-70 degrees latitude. By comparison, the Mittelmosel area is at 50 degrees latitude. Calgary is at 51 degrees, and I located a few wineries in Alberta.

There is apparently room for further growth in the industry. I believe Texas has advanced to the 6th largest state, and last year's production was barely enough to satisfy local demand. The dominance California has in terms of production is simply staggering, over 80% of US production. The increasing land cost in California is obviously sending investors/growers to other states.

My palate is not sophisticated enough to notice the difference between a $150 Napa cabernet and a $25 cabernet from my favorite winery. The most important lesson I've learned about wine is, if you like it, it's good wine.

Here's a great website, from Jeff Siegel, the Wine Curmudgeon:

https://www.winecurmudgeon.com/

Jeff's a self-styled expert on "cheap" wine, with a targeted price of under $12. I'm looking forward to his "2017 Hall of Fame" to be announced in about ten days.
If you come now bring your skis.  :laugh:

Thanks for the link. I'm all about "cheap" I bought a bottle of Woodworks cabernet sauvignon so I could make BBQ sauce out of it and that felt like a splurge. It was good though it was almost as good as a French Bordeaux I picked up for comparisons purposes.

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/the-wild-chef/recipe-woodwork-wine-bbq-glaze
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline musiclady

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2017, 09:17:36 pm »
Anyone here like Liebfraumilch?

I'm a fan, but I'm kind of an alcohol wimp.  ^-^

(I like Riesling best).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2017, 10:00:30 pm »
Anyone here like Liebfraumilch?

I'm a fan, but I'm kind of an alcohol wimp.  ^-^

(I like Riesling best).

@musiclady Liebfraumilch? You came to the right place. Get thyself to your local liquor store and ask for a bottle of Mosel Spatlese. Pronounced "shpAt-layze", it's a German term loosely translated as "late harvest". German wine terms are primarily designations as to the amount of sugar in the grape when harvested.

In a wine class I took a few years ago, I asked several presenters as to why Mosel Riesling hasn't made a bigger splash in the US. Americans, particularly women, enjoy sweeter types of wine, and German Riesling is world class. They all responded, "German wine is too difficult to explain". I chuckled, as I had four years living along the Mosel.

Ok, back to business. You won't have to spend $30+ a bottle for quality Spatlese. Ask for a Piesporter Michelsberg Spatlese. Piesport is the town, Michelsberg is the vineyard. Michelsberg gets a bad rap, I call it the Walmart of Mosel vineyards, as its slopes are not very steep. As a result, it doesn't have the panache of an Urziger Wurzgarten, where the grapes are grown at slopes in excess of 60 degrees. You should be able to buy a bottle for 8-10 dollars. A higher quality auslese, more of a dessert wine, can be had for $15. Urzig wine normally goes for more than double.

Piesport:

Urzig:

BTW, this was the view that greeted me on my drive home from work my last two years in Germany.

German wine standards are very exacting, and higher quality wines will have an official approval number on the label. It may look something like this:  A.P. NR. 2  606  319  011  07.

I've been getting a bit more confident in recommending Riesling to restaurants that don't have it on their wine list. For example, one restaurant/sports bar offered chardonnay and cabernet, yet they had some spicy dishes, such as an excellent venison chili. Riesling is a perfect pairing, as the acidity balances out the spiciness of the dish. I offered my suggestion that they add a Riesling for their spicy dishes, and the fact that most women prefer a sweeter wine.

I can speak from experience. A couple of weeks ago, I made veal chili at home that included "medium" Hatch chiles. It had a nice kick to it! I opened a bottle of Spatlese and it cooled the fire almost immediately. It also pairs nicely with Chipotle seasoned black bean burgers that we get from Costco.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:00:55 pm by Night Hides Not »

Offline Night Hides Not

The Wine Curmedgeon, Jeff Siegel
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2017, 10:10:52 pm »
Jeff's an interesting fellow, and an expert at "cheap wines". He now teaches the Wine and Viticulture Course at El Centro CC in downtown Dallas. I took the class from a teacher who retired at the end of the semester. Best $150 I ever spent.

His website is an excellent resource, https://www.winecurmudgeon.com/, and I strongly recommend it. I love his annual "$10 Hall of Fame."

Offline musiclady

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2017, 10:16:40 pm »
@musiclady Liebfraumilch? You came to the right place. Get thyself to your local liquor store and ask for a bottle of Mosel Spatlese. Pronounced "shpAt-layze", it's a German term loosely translated as "late harvest". German wine terms are primarily designations as to the amount of sugar in the grape when harvested.

In a wine class I took a few years ago, I asked several presenters as to why Mosel Riesling hasn't made a bigger splash in the US. Americans, particularly women, enjoy sweeter types of wine, and German Riesling is world class. They all responded, "German wine is too difficult to explain". I chuckled, as I had four years living along the Mosel.

Ok, back to business. You won't have to spend $30+ a bottle for quality Spatlese. Ask for a Piesporter Michelsberg Spatlese. Piesport is the town, Michelsberg is the vineyard. Michelsberg gets a bad rap, I call it the Walmart of Mosel vineyards, as its slopes are not very steep. As a result, it doesn't have the panache of an Urziger Wurzgarten, where the grapes are grown at slopes in excess of 60 degrees. You should be able to buy a bottle for 8-10 dollars. A higher quality auslese, more of a dessert wine, can be had for $15. Urzig wine normally goes for more than double.

Piesport:

Urzig:

BTW, this was the view that greeted me on my drive home from work my last two years in Germany.

German wine standards are very exacting, and higher quality wines will have an official approval number on the label. It may look something like this:  A.P. NR. 2  606  319  011  07.

I've been getting a bit more confident in recommending Riesling to restaurants that don't have it on their wine list. For example, one restaurant/sports bar offered chardonnay and cabernet, yet they had some spicy dishes, such as an excellent venison chili. Riesling is a perfect pairing, as the acidity balances out the spiciness of the dish. I offered my suggestion that they add a Riesling for their spicy dishes, and the fact that most women prefer a sweeter wine.

I can speak from experience. A couple of weeks ago, I made veal chili at home that included "medium" Hatch chiles. It had a nice kick to it! I opened a bottle of Spatlese and it cooled the fire almost immediately. It also pairs nicely with Chipotle seasoned black bean burgers that we get from Costco.

Enjoy!

Wow! Thanks for all that incredibly valuable information!

It's particularly good to know that Riesling mitigates the spiciness of foods.  My entire family likes to go to restaurants where the food is a bit spicy for me (Indian, Thai, Mexican), so now I know for sure that Riesling is the wine to buy.

I do like cabernet and chardonnay, but Riesling is best for my palate.

All my kids like beer, and I've tasted some fruity beers I really liked, but my staple is a good white wine.

Thanks for the tip on Spatlese.  I've been to Germany twice, years and years ago (and to the Frankfurt airport many times since) and really loved seeing your photos.

Lots of German immigrants came to Ohio because, I think, parts of Ohio have the same beauty as Germany.  Just slightly different architecture!  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Night Hides Not

The 2016 Harvest in the Mosel and Weingut S.A. Prϋm
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2017, 03:18:27 pm »
http://www.elixrr.com/blog/?p=994

Excerpt:

It was the best of times, and the worst times. Or, to sum up the 2016 vintage in the Mosel region of Germany, it was a nerve-wracking vintage with plenty of ups and downs.

Hail storms in the spring damaged vineyards between Wehlen and Graach and the cool, wet conditions led some to report mildew and botrytis. This was a year that required diligent, expert vineyard management.

By October 8th, the vineyard manager at Weingut S.A. Prϋm selected out the hail damaged and botrytis effected grapes and showing nerves of steel, left the remaining harvest to ripen for an extra two weeks to up sugar levels. The risk paid off. A whopping 99.2% of Weingut S.A. Prϋm’s 2016 harvest consists of prädikat level wines with the following break-down:

30.5% Kabinett

63.0% Spätlese

5.5% Auslese

Silver Pines

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2017, 01:36:46 am »
@Night Hides Not

I would like to report that I am drinking a substandard wine---Apothic Dark.  It was a gift from a friend, and I sort of forgot I had it.  I opened it tonight...the aftertaste is just...bad.

But hey, it's free!  And I love the bottle.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2017, 04:42:24 am »
I found a recent review here: http://www.honestwinereviews.com/2014/01/apothic-dark-wine-review.html. Some of the comments were a hoot!

The only thing that matters about wine is, do you like it?

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2017, 04:50:17 am »
@mystery-ak

I'm flattered that you would move my thread to the top echelon of the BR Tavern. I better get off the schneid and post new material.

Thank you!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2017, 01:18:39 pm »
I think we need to get off the schneid and start drinking more wine, @Night Hides Not !
 :laugh: