Author Topic: National Review Editors on the Mike Pence VP Pick  (Read 2570 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

National Review Editors on the Mike Pence VP Pick
« on: July 16, 2016, 02:50:37 pm »
SOURCE: NATIONAL REVIEW

URL: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/437936/donald-trump-mike-pence-vp-pick-wont-save-trump

THE EDITORS

Indiana governor Mike Pence is a conservative, which is why he endorsed Ted Cruz in the presidential primary. By selecting him to be his running mate, Donald Trump is reassuring conservatives and Republicans that they would have a place in his administration. That’s a welcome gesture. But in other respects the selection is a bit puzzling. Traditionally, vice-presidential candidates defend the presidential nominee to the hilt. The role is not an obvious fit for Pence.

He was a disappointing spokesman the one time he was in the national spotlight. His halting defense of his state’s religious-freedom law last year contributed to a political fiasco and, worse, a partial repeal of that law. He also disagrees with Trump on trade, immigration, and entitlements.

If we’re lucky, Trump will learn something from Pence about how Indiana is benefiting from foreign investment and trade-related employment. Pence could be a generally salutary influence on Trump’s campaign and possible administration, depending on how much Trump intends to lean on him. If a President Trump decided he would leave the budget and the selection of judges in his vice president’s hands, it would be all to the good.

But there are limits to what even the best running mate can do. Pence cannot by himself organize the national campaign Trump has not yet put together. He cannot convince Americans that Trump is qualified to be commander-in-chief. He can’t keep Trump from getting distracted by vendettas against Elizabeth Warren, or former aides. In short, he cannot save Donald Trump from himself.

Offline SirLinksALot

Re: National Review Editors on the Mike Pence VP Pick
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 02:57:00 pm »
My own personal feeling is a triumph of hope over experience.

Picking Mike Pence tells me that Donald Trump can be SWAYED and PERSUADED to tilt towards the conservative side of the GOP.

It also tells me that his list of conservative Judges is perhaps, not fraudulent after all.

Despite his weaknesses, i.e., his tendency to go wobbly when push comes to shove,  Pence has been a consistent conservative and dependable in his voting record and very pro-job both in Congress and as Governor. His state actually has a huge budget surplus, around 2 million dollars. He's cut taxes and created jobs.

For me, I've always said this to myself --- I DON'T LIKE TRUMP, but even with my misgivings, I'll vote for him.

Better to be in a position of a persuadable Trump than to vainly flail away at trying to stop Hillary.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 02:58:03 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 03:01:45 pm »
Pence is a terrific choice .....  I'm happy.   ^-^

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 03:04:19 pm »

From the same National Review you Trumpets have been bashing the past 4 months?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline HootOwl

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 04:32:23 pm »
McCain tried this conservative veneer with Palin.  Romney with Ryan.  Now Trump with Pence.  My answer:  NO!!!  Pence can paint himself with the Trump paint and so end his political career.  His choice.  I'm not voting for them.

I understand.  There's always gotta be a turd in the punch bowl. :poohappen:  :3:

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 04:53:42 pm »
McCain tried this conservative veneer with Palin.  Romney with Ryan.  Now Trump with Pence.  My answer:  NO!!!  Pence can paint himself with the Trump paint and so end his political career.  His choice.  I'm not voting for them.

That's my take on it as well. We end up with a pathetic liberal for a candidate and they try to appease us by throwing a conservative bone in the form of someone who will end up being tarred by his association with the candidate. I'm not allowing myself to be deceived. Trump is not Pence's man; Pence is Trump's man. He'll be obliged to abandon whatever principles he has in order to shill for Trump's ideas. The fact that he's willing to do this tells me as much about him as I need to know.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 05:22:31 pm »

It's interesting that you are so happy with Pence.

His positions and values are quite different from those of Trump.

If you think Trump is right on things, why so happy with Pence?  Are you hoping that Pence will be a good influence on Trump?  If so, does that mean you think Trump needs a good influence?

Or do you like the Pence selection because you think it will bring in some votes to allow your guy to win?

Just curious about the mind of a Trump supporter.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline unknown

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 05:40:25 pm »

Picking Mike Pence tells me that Donald Trump can be SWAYED and PERSUADED to tilt towards the conservative side of the GOP.

It also tells me that his list of conservative Judges is perhaps, not fraudulent after all.

Despite his weaknesses, i.e., his tendency to go wobbly when push comes to shove,  Pence has been a consistent conservative and dependable in his voting record and very pro-job both in Congress and as Governor. His state actually has a huge budget surplus, around 2 million dollars. He's cut taxes and created jobs.

For me, I've always said this to myself --- I DON'T LIKE TRUMP, but even with my misgivings, I'll vote for him.

Better to be in a position of a persuadable Trump than to vainly flail away at trying to stop Hillary.

I agree with your assessment and conclusion.

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 05:50:24 pm »

Problem is that Trump really did not want Pence...he wanted Christie, but his new professional Republican staff, courtesy of Priebus and the RNC, maneuvered him into it.

"Trump tried to back off Pence pick: report"

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/287951-cnn-reporter-trump-tried-to-back-off-pence-pick
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 05:52:07 pm »
Trump had a powerful statement on Turkey this morning:

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 05:53:27 pm »
Pure gibberish.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 06:23:46 pm »
I approach Trump's candidacy with extreme caution. I am not a NeverTrumper but I will not commit myself until I see how everything shakes outvin my state of Pennsylvania.  All that said, I consider the Pence selection to be a point in Trump's favor.

Offline WAC

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 06:28:56 pm »

I agree....I've been watching carefully to see who he selects as VP, and those who he might select for his cabinet and Supreme court.....he's doing a great job in that respect....making it much easier to support him.

I wasn't really excited about Bush until i saw who his VP was and those around him.....then it was a slam dunk.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 06:33:43 pm »
The only thing that would make this pic more tacky is if Chris Christie were standing behind them:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 06:34:55 pm »

Offline WAC

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 06:35:01 pm »
I approach Trump's candidacy with extreme caution. I am not a NeverTrumper but I will not commit myself until I see how everything shakes outvin my state of Pennsylvania.  All that said, I consider the Pence selection to be a point in Trump's favor.
PA'S cities seem to go blue where the rural areas go red for the most part....I'm close to Pitt. and it's soooo liberal there I don't go to the city unless I have to!...Gets darker and darker there IMO.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 06:43:17 pm »
Whose idea was the throne like chairs?  All they need is for one of them to die their hair pink.

Trump has the home design taste of those third-world dictators he desires to emulate.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2016, 06:43:58 pm »
Weird first encounter between Trump and Pence back in 2011:

Offline Bunny Watson

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2016, 07:22:11 pm »

I never got an answer from Right_in_Virginia so I guess my question was too hard.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 02:28:22 am »
Trump might have picked better.

He certainly could have picked worse.

Pence will do.

HonestJohn

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2016, 03:12:28 am »
Trump had a powerful statement on Turkey this morning:

About as powerful and intelligent as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zvgcOrTtw
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 03:13:54 am by HonestJohn »

geronl

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 04:05:56 am »

Pence has just caved and flip-flopped on any principles and conservative positions he ever had.

Trump is never going to be a conservative. Trump is never going to be a decent human being.

Wishing it were so isn't going to make it happen.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2016, 06:19:15 am »
Pence has just caved and flip-flopped on any principles and conservative positions he ever had.

Almost.  When and if he figures out Trump is pro-abortion he'll probably flip on that also.

geronl

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2016, 08:25:18 am »
Almost.  When and if he figures out Trump is pro-abortion he'll probably flip on that also.

I wouldn't be surprised