Author Topic: Mike Lee, tea party senator, may help decide Trump’s fate at convention  (Read 7870 times)

Offline thatcher

Mike Lee, tea party senator, may help decide Trump’s fate at convention

The mild-mannered first-term U.S. senator from Utah will arrive here Wednesday night or Thursday morning to cast a significant vote in the long-odds battle being waged by some Republican delegates to snatch the party’s presidential nomination from Donald Trump.

Lee, 45, is one of Utah’s two members on the convention Rules Committee, which will vote at the end of the week on a motion to unbind the 2,472 convention delegates next week. If the committee sends the resolution to the convention floor, the whole convention would vote up or down on the measure.

The obstacles facing the dump-Trump effort are high. Multiple Trump campaign officials said Tuesday their whip count indicated that the “conscience clause” would not get out of Rules, and that if it did, it would lose on the convention floor. There were no signs of nervousness in the Trump whip operation, one said.

Allies of the dump-Trump effort are more optimistic that the Rules Committee might pass the measure to the full convention, but less hopeful about their chances there. In addition, other observers of the process think that delegates trying to send the convention to multiple ballots by having a few hundred delegates abstain from voting on the first ballot is the better strategy.

Read more:  https://www.yahoo.com/news/mike-lee-tea-party-senator-000000315.html

Offline Mechanicos

Not going to happen even if your tiny percent of crazy delegates want to elect Hillary.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline andy58-in-nh

Not going to happen even if your tiny percent of crazy delegates want to elect Hillary.

No one
here wants to elect Hillary, and no one here is going to vote for Hillary.

But a great number of us, the Sanity Caucus, are not ever going to vote for a loudmouthed, arrogant, ignorant, intolerant, bullying, value-free, morally abject steaming piece of human refuse simply because a bare plurality of primary voters have managed to foist him upon a 155-year old political party whose leaders have clearly lost their way.

Two proudly Statist beasts, their hour come 'round at last, now slouch toward Washington to be born. One is a bombastic and insufferable ass; the other, a vicious and power-hungry liar.

I vote for neither.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Mesaclone

No one
here wants to elect Hillary, and no one here is going to vote for Hillary.

But a great number of us, the Sanity Caucus, are not ever going to vote for a loudmouthed, arrogant, ignorant, intolerant, bullying, value-free, morally abject steaming piece of human refuse simply because a bare plurality of primary voters have managed to foist him upon a 155-year old political party whose leaders have clearly lost their way.

Two proudly Statist beasts, their hour come 'round at last, now slouch toward Washington to be born. One is a bombastic and insufferable ass; the other, a vicious and power-hungry liar.

I vote for neither.

You say you don't want Hillary elected....so quit helping her to do so! The ONLY way to stop her from being president is for her to lose to the GOP nominee. There IS no other way to prevent her being president. So if you really want to prevent that, the only thing you can do is back Mr Trump. Every other action or inaction puts Hillary in the presidency. It's that simple.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Well it does explain why Mike Lee has been able to slap Trump without any response from Trump. :silly:

Offline kevindavis007

You say you don't want Hillary elected....so quit helping her to do so! The ONLY way to stop her from being president is for her to lose to the GOP nominee. There IS no other way to prevent her being president. So if you really want to prevent that, the only thing you can do is back Mr Trump. Every other action or inaction puts Hillary in the presidency. It's that simple.

Sorry Trump doesn't want my vote..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline andy58-in-nh

I am not helping Hillary by refusing to support another person that I honestly believe to be morally unfit for high office, and whose demonstrated character I believe would lead to disaster for the nation I love.

I choose to help neither. You are free to make your decision, just as the Republican delegates in Cleveland are free, by the grace of God to make their own choices. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Well it does explain why Mike Lee has been able to slap Trump without any response from Trump. :silly:

Sessions sent Rep Ed Henry to help Trump. Ed Henry is a moron who will get abused by Lee.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Cripplecreek

Sessions sent Rep Ed Henry to help Trump. Ed Henry is a moron who will get abused by Lee.

It was just 2 or 3 weeks ago when Mike Lee went off on an interviewer over Donald Trump and the JFK thing.

Offline Fantom

I am waiting to see where Ted and Lee go on this.

Means a lot on where my vote is going.. or not voting top of ticket. Hey.. I did not vote for romney.. I sure can hold my nose and not vote for trump.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Gov Bean Counter

It was just 2 or 3 weeks ago when Mike Lee went off on an interviewer over Donald Trump and the JFK thing.

I heard about that.  :beer:

Offline skeeter

I assume you likewise don't want Hillary elected, so you'll support anyone the GOP runs especially if that person polls better against her.

And you'll join me in hoping such a person - the best available candidate - is ultimately nominated at the convention, whether it be Trump or someone else.

Offline Cripplecreek

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

We simply do not know this yet.  There are still scenarios that could develop, both within and outside the GOP, that could better stop Hitlery.  I don't consider myself a NeverTrump, but I do intend to keep my powder dry until the very last moment, and then I will decide what to do.

Offline Fantom

We simply do not know this yet.  There are still scenarios that could develop, both within and outside the GOP, that could better stop Hitlery.  I don't consider myself a NeverTrump, but I do intend to keep my powder dry until the very last moment, and then I will decide what to do.

Hmnn... I was just thinkin' 'Bout keeping powder dry.... along the same lines.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
Senator Mike Lee Unloads on Why He Can’t Embrace Donald Trump
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/us/politics/mike-lee-donald-trump.html?_r=0

Mike Lee Unloads on Trump
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/christinerousselle/2016/06/30/mike-lee-unloads-on-trump-n2185846
Thank you for those links! It helps to read them. (We are dangling from a very thin thread.)
America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Offline Suppressed

You say you don't want Hillary elected....so quit helping her to do so! The ONLY way to stop her from being president is for her to lose to the GOP nominee.

So let's dump Trump and select a good GOP nominee!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online roamer_1

Actually, the only one who could stop her now, as things are, is Castle. Trump has already lost. He just doesn't know it yet.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
So let's dump Trump and select a good GOP nominee!

Exactly!

Silver Pines

Trump will likely get the nomination.  But he's going to lose in November. 

His supporters are worried, which is why you're so desperate now for our votes.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Please stop inferring that people here who don't vote Trump are electing Hillary...I am tired of you posting that on every thread that you can....enough already!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 01:21:30 am by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Mechanicos

I assume you likewise don't want Hillary elected, so you'll support anyone the GOP runs especially if that person polls better against her.

And you'll join me in hoping such a person - the best available candidate - is ultimately nominated at the convention, whether it be Trump or someone else.
@skeeter the flaw in your argument is anybody that your tiny group of people select by decree is identical to Hillary camp. Selected the same way way as how Hilary was selected. Its denying the will of the voters and a using a small group people who claim to be superior selecting the candidates.

That is not a Republic, that is not American, that is ruling class taking away our freedom to have a representative government. Right now we have a non-establishment person opposing an establishment person. If you had your way there really will be no difference and no reason to vote since both would be of the uniparty ruling class. Neither would represent us. So no. The fact you are promoting the same thing and same candidate selection process as the democrats makes your group the same as them. There is no difference.

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Cripplecreek

Trump will likely get the nomination.  But he's going to lose in November. 

His supporters are worried, which is why you're so desperate now for our votes.

The problem is that Trump never learns. Rather than trying to stop making new enemies, he just continues to attack them as if it were their fault.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The problem is that Trump never learns. Rather than trying to stop making new enemies, he just continues to attack them as if it were their fault.

Yes, that is an interesting characteristic.  He does seem resistant to learning.