Author Topic: After Dallas, conservatives rebel against the Drudge Report  (Read 2048 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.businessinsider.com/conservatives-drudge-report-dallas-2016-7

After Dallas, conservatives rebel against the Drudge Report

Oliver Darcy

"BLACK LIVES KILL."

Those were the three words that blared across the Drudge Report early Friday morning after five Dallas police officers were killed in a horrific ambush attack.

And immediately upon seeing the race-baiting headline, conservatives rebelled against a once reliable ally who has become more and more divisive to them over the course of the 2016 campaign.

“In moments like these, we should do the opposite of what Drudge is doing,” Commentary Magazine Editor Noah Rothman wrote on Twitter.

“Responsible reporting as always,” sarcastically tweeted Jeff Blehar, from the popular Ace of Spades blog.

Others piled on.

Allahpundit, an influential anonymous conservative blogger, skewered the site for a subsequent banner headline claiming a “black power group” had claimed responsibility for the attack.

“Dallas chief says suspect told them before he died that he wasn’t part of a group,” the blogger wrote.

And David French, the National Review writer who flirted with a third-party presidential run, went as far as to say that he had deleted the Drudge Report app from his phone.

Follow
 David French @DavidAFrench
I just deleted my Drudge app.
11:39 AM - 8 Jul 2016
  132 132 Retweets   562 562 likes

The anti-Drudge sentiment had been simmering for months. But it seemed to finally come to a boil with the Drudge Report’s coverage of the Dallas attack.

Since its inception in 1996, the Drudge Report has been a home to conservatives who feel disenfranchised by traditional media. Drudge has marketed his website as a news destination not controlled by corporate interests or politicians.

But that's a narrative that was heavily challenged during the 2016 Republican Primary, when it became clear the news aggregator was pushing a pro-Trump agenda.

Many conservatives who frequent the right-wing link aggregator had grown upset over how founder Matt Drudge had covered the 2016 election. The Drudge Report, they say, trashed true-bred conservatives like Ted Cruz in favor of promoting a squishy moderate in Donald Trump.

“I don’t know what the hell happened to Matt Drudge,” Glenn Beck, the prominent conservative talk-show host and founder of The Blaze, said in March.

The Drudge Report, operating from the same playbook as Trump, has used the racial tension in the country to generate page views, its critics say. And the website’s controversial three-word headline in the aftermath of the Dallas attack was the final straw.

“Matt Drudge, for whom my late friend Andrew Breitbart used to work closely and for whom I used to fill in on his old national radio show, is not a conservative,” conservative talk-radio host John Ziegler told Business Insider. “He is a brilliant businessman who doesn't care at all about the conservative cause.”

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter
 Follow
 Stop Trump PAC @StopTrumpPAC
Dear fellow conservatives!
Let's extinguish the flames of hate @DRUDGE & his likes are spreading! #BoycottDrudge
11:45 AM - 8 Jul 2016
  137 137 Retweets   170 170 likes

The operator of anti-Trump organization Stop Trump PAC, a Republican operative who asked not to be named to preserve his anonymity, told Business Insider he agreed with Ziegler’s analysis.

“It has nothing to do with conservatism. It has to do with ratings,” he said.

He added: “When it comes to Drudge, he has chosen to go down a path of racism. Embracing racism, inciting hate — all to gain followers. He doesn’t care about conservative principles or ideas. It’s all about ratings. It’s a ratings game.”

And Steve Deace, a popular Iowa radio host, slammed the Drudge Report as a “fraud.”

“Drudge isn't a conservative. He's a sensationalist. And right now, the sensation is white grievance politics/populism, so he's parked there,” Deace told Business Insider. “Drudge, like too many other people in our industry, is a master at capitalizing on being conservative media without actually demonstrating a shred of conservatism."

Yet, despite a growing group of critics, Drudge still has fierce backers.

When asked to respond to the onslaught of attacks on her friend, Ann Coulter, the best-selling conservative author, replied in a Trump-esqe manner: “SAD!”

Matthew Boyle, Washington editor for Breitbart News, a website often linked to by Drudge, told Business Insider that the criticism stemmed from a "handful of losers."

"Clearly, a handful of losers like David French have a problem with truth and accuracy," he said. "The reason they don't like Drudge is because Drudge gets it right."

Boyle added: “He got it right in the Republican primaries, and he has it right in Dallas. Maybe David French's time would be better spent floating an irrelevant potential presidential campaign again, while Drudge tells America what's really going on."

Others told Business Insider that the latest controversy surrounding Drudge was nothing unexpected.

“I think Drudge is just being Drudge,” radio host Erick Erickson said. “I think Drudge sensationalizes things, but he also knows what his readers want. I’m not one to call for a boycott of anyone, but I personally find I go to the site less and less this political season.”

Overall, the divide over the Drudge Report appears to reflect the current rift in the Republican Party caused by the bombastic Trump.

The website's loudest supporters are largely backers of Trump, and the Manhattan billionaire has repeatedly lavished praise on it throughout the 2016 cycle. On the other side of the spectrum, members of the "Never Trump" movement have been the most critical, accusing Drudge of being a sellout.

Drudge, for his part, has appeared to bask in the limelight, seemingly enjoying the attention from both fans and critics. He did not respond to an emailed request for comment, but took to Twitter earlier this month to pen a short note to the "lovers and haters."

The Internet-news mogul wrote: “Thank you for your continued readership! The lovers and the haters. Such extraordinary times. Thrilling, actually.”
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 10:12:27 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline kevindavis007

Re: After Dallas, conservatives rebel against the Drudge Report
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 10:23:19 pm »
I have been avoiding Drudge Report since last year..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

geronl

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 10:26:45 pm »
Conservatives should have bailed on Drudge many months ago when he became a propaganda site for the Orange Liberal Pretender. Personally I stopped paying attention to Drudge several years ago. His site always seemed really pointless to me.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:28:51 pm »
Conservatives should have bailed on Drudge many months ago when he became a propaganda site for the Orange Liberal Pretender. Personally I stopped paying attention to Drudge several years ago. His site always seemed really pointless to me.

Since he put infowars on his site, it went down hill.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 10:59:05 pm »
Interesting

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 11:22:28 pm »
Interesting

Gunter glieben glauchen globen.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 08:04:00 am »

Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 09:23:46 am »

I've never been there.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 09:55:39 am »

Since he put infowars on his site, it went down hill.

I guess next to be the shrewed business man he'll start linking to Storm Front.  And he'll still have Coulter and Breitbart defending him.

Once he went all in for Orange Jesus I beat David French to the punch and deleted the app and removed the bookmark from my browser.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline OldSaltUSN

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 10:06:07 am »

Yep, both Drudge and Fox News are out of my life now, forever.  Nothing at this point would change that.

I'm but a mere blip in the media world, just one of the little people who frequents their businesses and makes them all wealthy.  They don't need me, just like Trump doesn't need me. 

Because I'm only one man.  There are no other conservatives like me.  So, naturally, Drudge and Roger Ailes just laugh and laugh and laugh at the "losers" like me.

We'll see how their business models are running about a year from now, and see if Trump still doesn't need my vote in November.  We'll see who laughs last.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 10:10:46 am »
If Info-Wars puts out a story that is newsworthy, why not? What's the big deal?  It may be the only outlet that posted the story, I forget what it was now but I do remember that.

He links to World Net Daily routinely too. So?

Saying "Black Lives Kills" may be dramatic; it may not be an untruth though.

They made a mistake in relaying the news; gee, now link them to stormfront!  8888crybaby

What news agency is perfect?

Here's a good subheading at Liberty Daily:

What If The Dallas Killer Was White, Right-Wing, Christian, And Conservative?

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7339/imagine-dallas-killer-white-right-wing-christian-robert-kraychik

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 10:47:37 am »

I abandoned Drudge in 2012 after it became clear that he was a Romney shill.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 12:06:41 pm »

Al-right!

I got somethin' ta say!😂
---------------------------

I ditched Drudge back when all the spam and pop-ups on his sight kept trying to download viruses on my computer.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 12:50:51 pm »
If Info-Wars puts out a story that is newsworthy, why not? What's the big deal?  It may be the only outlet that posted the story, I forget what it was now but I do remember that.

He links to World Net Daily routinely too. So?

Saying "Black Lives Kills" may be dramatic; it may not be an untruth though.

They made a mistake in relaying the news; gee, now link them to stormfront!  8888crybaby

What news agency is perfect?

Here's a good subheading at Liberty Daily:

Sorry but InfoWars is run by Alex Jones..

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 12:53:07 pm »
I guess next to be the shrewed business man he'll start linking to Storm Front.  And he'll still have Coulter and Breitbart defending him.

Once he went all in for Orange Jesus I beat David French to the punch and deleted the app and removed the bookmark from my browser.

I know what you mean.. We will see what happens to Drudge, FoxNews, and Breitbart after the election.

Wingnut

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 01:15:58 pm »
Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Exactly!    :beer:  Just like the Pyrite god Trump.

Al-right!

I got somethin' ta say!😂
---------------------------

Plus two interweb points for you! :patriot:

Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 01:16:59 pm »
Before Matt Drudge put on his Donald Trump autographed kneepads, I used to visit his site 10-15 times a day for breaking news.

Now it's just Tump's Pravda.......
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 01:32:46 pm »
After several years of racial division the last thing we need is needless incitement of more.

Sure there are problems within the black community but we aren't going to fix them and our (Mostly Democrat) interference has done only damage. Instead I choose to treat all individuals with dignity and respect till it proves warranted or not.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 01:36:21 pm »
I wasn't aware of the Drudge headline, since I don't go there anymore.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 01:37:12 pm »
I had to quit going to Drudge, followed by Fox news, when they both went all in for Trump.
Support a candidate, sure, okay, but be "fair and balanced" when doing so.
Neither are.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 01:41:26 pm »
Instead I choose to treat all individuals with dignity and respect till it proves warranted or not.

If everyone adopted this philosophy...the race pimps and BLM agitators wouldn't stand a chance of getting even the slightest bit of attention by anyone.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 01:56:31 pm »
If everyone adopted this philosophy...the race pimps and BLM agitators wouldn't stand a chance of getting even the slightest bit of attention by anyone.

If there is any "help" for black communities, it appears to be showing its face in the form of a growing number of black police chiefs and sheriffs who are speaking some hard truths. Sheriff David Clarke is obvious because he's become a national figure but there are less well known men speaking these truths.

Detroit police chief James Craig supports armed citizens and self defense. Most important, he's been very outspoken against "urban terrorism".

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 04:45:46 pm »
Before Matt Drudge put on his Donald Trump autographed kneepads, I used to visit his site 10-15 times a day for breaking news.

Now it's just Tump's Pravda.......

Same here.  I know others who have done exactly the same also.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 06:51:02 pm »

Drudge is just one piece of trash in the mountain of trash that Trump has left behind him.

The people and groups and media that went over to the dark side (aka the Trump side) will never be able to regain the respect and status that they once held.

Drudge is an example.  I've respected him since the late 90's when he exposed the Clinton's and White Water.  I used to listen to his radio show... I remember Mary Matalin guesting with him.

Trump drags his followers down to a dark place where they must leave their convictions and conscience at the door.

Fox News is a good example.  At one time I set my recorder to record Fox and Friends ... I liked the hosts and they combined conservative leaning news with fun stuff.  I deleted that months ago.  I never turn there anymore not even for things like the Dallas shooting.  And now, with this stuff about Ailes coming to light, their downfall is complete.

My old stomping ground, Free Republic, is not as important but it was a wonderful site at one time.  One of the most user friendly posting sites ever and once had really smart people posting.  Will it ever regain credibility?? I don't see how.  All the smart people have been banned and the posts are just pathetic there now.

All for this strange, evil man who embodies everything conservatives once hated ... well, still do, except for the zombies.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Crazieman

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 06:54:54 pm »
No Trump Report, Trump News Channel, Trump Republic, or Trumpbart for me.
Mixed-race Mutt.
Your racist accusations are invalid.

Start thinking Constitutionally and stop thinking in groups.