Author Topic: It is so hot in Texas ...  (Read 6509 times)

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: It is so hot in Texas ...
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 05:30:14 pm »

SO damn true!!! AS a crazed 18-22 yr old, buddies and I used to load up a 48 qt cooler and take off in whoever's vehicle has the most gas to chase after storms......

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2016, 05:31:58 pm »
Yes, and the lake at Big Spring doesn't always have water.

The spring there has not run in decades. Also, the little lake it forms is impounded by a damn too. It is readily visible as you drive by on US 87....

Wingnut

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2016, 07:09:00 pm »
And at other times: 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline M1078

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 02:00:02 am »
Finally got the AC installed in my avatar.  Unfortunately it has ZERO insulation (about to be remedied with peel and stick sound/heat deadener) and the windshield is almost the size of a sheet of plywood and just as flat so lots of refractive area to let the sunshine in.  The air at the vent measured by a temp probe was 65° but you're sitting on top of the engine and with no insulation there's a lot of heat coming through the floor.  Still, driving down the road it was just a little warmer than comfortable.  I'm hoping once we get the sound/heat deadener in the system will be able to put out more cold air than hot air coming in from the outside.
Former FR macnjac

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2016, 02:03:51 am »
"peel and stick sound/heat deadener"?  I'm not familiar with that, but it sounds very useful.  Where do you get it?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:04:24 am by Sanguine »

Offline M1078

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2016, 02:11:27 am »
"peel and stick sound/heat deadener"?  I'm not familiar with that, but it sounds very useful.  Where do you get it?

It's called GTMAT and available on Amazon or eBay.  The outfit I bought from on eBay had free shipping and since it's VERY heavy that was a bonus.
Former FR macnjac

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 02:14:09 am »
OK, thanks.

And, good luck with your baby.

Offline biff

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 06:01:38 pm »
The GTMAT does nothing for thermal insulation but does do a good job for sound reduction where large areas of metal that can act as a drum head. What you need for thermal control is the quilted stuff made for under hood areas. I prefer closed cell neoprene foam in 1/4" thickness but it can be pricey and harder to find.

The quilted material can he had from Ebay. Both combined will do wonders/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 06:28:07 pm »
Thanks, Biff.

And, welcome!

Offline M1078

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 08:46:52 pm »
The GTMAT does nothing for thermal insulation but does do a good job for sound reduction where large areas of metal that can act as a drum head. What you need for thermal control is the quilted stuff made for under hood areas. I prefer closed cell neoprene foam in 1/4" thickness but it can be pricey and harder to find.

The quilted material can he had from Ebay. Both combined will do wonders/

I have to disagree on GTMAT not having heat reductions abilities.  I've started on the roof of my truck and at noon today a section that had not been covered was 150° and the section that was covered was 100°.  I'd say a 50° difference is quite substantial.  Once I get the headliner installed as well the amount of heat radiating from the roof will be about 50 or less of what it was before.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 08:47:52 pm by M1078 »
Former FR macnjac

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2016, 07:43:43 am »
It's hot in Massachusetts, I'd imagine it's God awful in Texas.  :smokin:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2016, 11:45:58 am »
It's hot in Massachusetts, I'd imagine it's God awful in Texas.  :smokin:

It's a bit warm, I'll admit.  Thankfully, where I am the humidity dropped, so it's pretty tolerable.  If you aren't out in it...

Offline biff

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2016, 02:09:26 pm »
I have done several oil field trucks in west Texas. One of the problems with the sticky matting is on roofs and firewalls the stuff sometimes falls off. It was not originally designed to be used in autos but that being said, it does do a good sound deadening job in certain areas, like door panels, cab walls and rear walls by reducing metal vibration. The adhesive is not designed to hold it own weight upside down like in headliners. It was originally designed as a roofing material to be stuck down, not up, and can be purchased thru Lowes for about 100 bucks for a 3' wide by 33' long roll. There used to be a guy in Austin that sold it for cars. He was buying seconds from the manufacturer that did not pass QC for roofing and he sold it quite cheaply on EBAY for awhile.

The neoprene foam does both jobs in one but can get pricey. I have even used sound reduction foam like used in studios that looks like egg crate and it works and is not as expensive as neoprene foam. Install wavey side to the inside.

The most economical is the quilted stuff but must be glued in place with contact cement.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2016, 06:12:18 pm »

Just got back from a trip to Liberal Asheville, NC where I wore a sweater and long pants most of the time.  Drove all night getting home this morning at 6 am.  What a shock it was to open the car door to a steam oven.  Aaaaargh!  Almost wanted to turn around and go back.  Almost.

Cute cartoon!

Offline M1078

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2016, 10:40:07 am »
Just got back from a trip to Liberal Asheville, NC where I wore a sweater and long pants most of the time.  Drove all night getting home this morning at 6 am.  What a shock it was to open the car door to a steam oven.  Aaaaargh!  Almost wanted to turn around and go back.  Almost.

My dad lives in north central Idaho.  We have a thing where I call him in the winter and say "it's 80° here today" and he calls me in the summer (called Tuesday) and says it "was 35° last night and I had the wood stove going."
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:42:08 am by M1078 »
Former FR macnjac