Author Topic: I was fired from my internship for writing a proposal for a more flexible dress code  (Read 6942 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
This.  It was the petition.  That's organizing labor into a collective bargaining situation.  Had he accepted, precedence would have been set for the future.

Believe It or not, employees are entitled to attempt to bargain collectively even if they are not a member of a union. There's a pretty good argument that the employer firing these interns because they submitted a petition would be a violation of the National Labor Relations Act.

That being said, I'm glad they fired the little patch of whiners anyway.

Offline uglybiker

I'd say it depends on the situation.  A wedding in the Bahamas, in summer, on the beach... warrants a T-shirt and Tevas, if not swimming gear.

A tropical wedding warrants a barong.

nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Believe It or not, employees are entitled to attempt to bargain collectively even if they are not a member of a union. There's a pretty good argument that the employer firing these interns because they submitted a petition would be a violation of the National Labor Relations Act.

That being said, I'm glad they fired the little patch of whiners anyway.

They weren't employees, they were interns.  The rules are different.  Should they be?  Question for another day.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

geronl

But a reasonable request, or at least an explanation of why there was unequal treatment going on, is by no means childish or spoiled.

It's always possible that an employee gets excused and allowed to wear more comfortable footwear for medical reasons. Not that this is any of the interns business.

As a matter of fact, the fact that the intern thought that interns should be able to make policy proposals is a firing offense IMO.

Offline OldSaltUSN

Fired for questioning a dress code?  Sure, the company can do it, but I'd love to know who these aholes are.

Dress codes are silly except for a very few professions.  They make NO SENSE for non-client facing jobs.

I worked for IBM for 20 years and nobody was happier to get out of those monkey suits.
@sinkspur

Hey ya, Sink:

I started out as an EDS guy, after active duty service, so I know what you mean.

As a consultant, I've always tried to fit into the client organization, which has meant going "office casual" for most of the last 10 or 15 years.  While that may suit the company, in fact, I'm always mining new work, and every contact I meet is a potential lead or client.   That includes managers (many who become "former employees" and move to other companies), other consultants, employees, and whoever might walk into the client's workspace.  I routinely "overdress" for that reason.  I am the product, and a product wrapped in burlap and moldy cardboard won't sell.  (Plus, that burlap is itchy and the cardboard stinks; don't ask me how I know.   :silly:)

All that said, those interns came to learn, and learn they did.  If they ever get another internship, which with this failure on their resume is doubtful, they'll be focusing on their work and not social action.  I do feel a bit sorry for the interns who might have signed on under peer pressure, and found themselves out on their tail.   The petition instigator should have identified and then fired, but that might have brought on a lawsuit.  It was probably less risky for HR to simply to fire the lot of them.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I worked for a company on Wall Street. After my interview I was hired and given a list of clothing that would meet their dress code. I was absolutely amazed that they had to even put this in writing.

I recall it said women had to wear bras, and navels had to be covered. No shorts. Dresses to the knee or lower. No cleavage. Hats were only ok if you were coming back from cancer treatments. Sneakers were only ok when you arrive and leave, your office shoes had to be changed into. And no visible tattoos.

I recall a few college girls were very upset with these rules. One girl was quite upset she had to wear a bra. Is that what girls do now in college? I thought that was over in the 60s. And it's just common sense you don't show your belly button at work..
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I worked for a company on Wall Street. After my interview I was hired and given a list of clothing that would meet their dress code. I was absolutely amazed that they had to even put this in writing.

I recall it said women had to wear bras, and navels had to be covered. No shorts. Dresses to the knee or lower. No cleavage. Hats were only ok if you were coming back from cancer treatments. Sneakers were only ok when you arrive and leave, your office shoes had to be changed into. And no visible tattoos.

I recall a few college girls were very upset with these rules. One girl was quite upset she had to wear a bra. Is that what girls do now in college? I thought that was over in the 60s. And it's just common sense you don't show your belly button at work..

Hate to say it but much of the vaunted Millenial views and morals are just recycled lefty 60's/70's hippie crap, repackaged with new tech and up in your face.

As an X'er, I just pound my head into the table and think 'Aw gee, not this crap again!'
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 11:38:04 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Hate to say it but much of the vaunted Millenial views and morals are just recycled lefty 60's/70's hippie crap, repackaged with new tech and up in your face.

As an X'er, I just pound my head into the table and think 'Aw gee, not this crap again!'
Glad you see it for what it is, and I agree.

Even the resurgence of Heroin as a street drug is straight out of the 60s. When the Dems set out to make the GWOT "another Vietnam" they set out to recreate an era with race riots, protesters in the streets, and even brought back the drugs for their redux.

I couldn't believe that was making a comeback, but most of the people who could speak up against it firsthand are dead. I thought America had learned that lesson, but how quickly it forgets.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Glad you see it for what it is, and I agree.

Even the resurgence of Heroin as a street drug is straight out of the 60s. When the Dems set out to make the GWOT "another Vietnam" they set out to recreate an era with race riots, protesters in the streets, and even brought back the drugs for their redux.

I couldn't believe that was making a comeback, but most of the people who could speak up against it firsthand are dead. I thought America had learned that lesson, but how quickly it forgets.

And in the interest in fairness, they tried this in the 90's with us during the Clinton era with limited success. Then again we had just come out of the 80's and remembered the 70's, so it didn't seem to take. It just kinda morphed into an alt/grunge libertarian bent. The Millenials have no memory so they think it's new and cool.
The Republic is lost.

Offline ScottinVA

Please take a look at the comments under the article.

My take?  When you are an intern (paid or otherwise), you are in a learning position.  You can't learn when you think you are teaching.

Exactly.  A large part of an intern's job is to watch, learn and absorb knowledge... NOT demand cultural workplace changes more suitable to their coddled, entitled selves.