Author Topic: Trump's VP Front-runner: Sen. Sessions of Alabama  (Read 3205 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump's VP Front-runner: Sen. Sessions of Alabama
« on: June 23, 2016, 05:03:26 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=735301

Newsmax
Trump's VP Front-runner: Sen. Sessions of Alabama
Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:49 PM

By: John Gizzi

With less than a month to go before the Republican National Convention that will make Donald Trump's nomination for president official, sources close to the billionaire candidate told Newsmax Wednesday that his top choice, at the moment, as his vice presidential running mate is Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama.

Requesting anonymity, the sources told us that Trump feels personally comfortable with swashbuckling conservative Sessions, 69, who was the first member of the Senate to endorse his candidacy and who frequently speaks with him.

The square Sessions seems to fit many square holes for Trump: he's conservative and nails down the party's right flank, he endorsed Trump early and has been extremely loyal, he has Washington legislative experience — a key requirement — and importantly, he can be totally trusted never to criticize Trump no matter what he might say in the coming months.

Senate Judiciary Committee member Sessions has already had a "strong impact." His immigration legislation has already been the cornerstone of trumps Mexico and deportation policies. Sessions played a key role in creating Trump's surprise list of a dozen Supreme Court appointees he would consider. The list pleased conservatives and was particularly responsible for Trump naming Judge William Pryor (who succeeded Sessions as state attorney general of Alabama) as a top choice, a source said.

Moreover, judged the fifth-most-conservative U.S. senator by the "National Journal," and with lifetime ratings of 96 percent from the American Conservative Union and 80 percent from the Heritage Action Fund, insiders say by picking sessions Trump will be able to stake positions more in the center and even to the left of Hillary Clinton.

"The selection will reassure conservatives," said Franklin & Marshall College Professor G. Terry Madonna, considered the premier pollster in Pennsylvania. "Sessions is one of the more conservative senators — that should be reassuring to economic conservatives and the religious right."

Among issues where Sessions has been a leader on the right have been as a hard-line opponent of illegal immigration, Obamacare, and abortion. He was a leading proponent of tax cuts under the George W. Bush administration and helped lead the fight against repeal of the "Don't ask, don't tell" rule regarding gays in the military.

Sessions did support the Iraq War, which Trump now denounces Clinton for backing. But he also never disagrees with Trump in public, which "the Donald" is said to appreciate.

"Jeff is solid," former Sen. Jon Kyl (R.-Ariz.), who worked closely with Sessions on the Senate Judiciary Committee for many years, told Newsmax Wednesday as rumors of his possible selection mounted.

Kyl also told us that "Sen. Sessions is well grounded in all of the major areas and would be prepared to step in should there be a need."

He was referring to another reason Sessions backers close to Trump feel the senator is now leading for the Number Two spot: the long-standing Republican Party tradition of an "outsider-insider" national ticket.

Going back to 1868, when retired Gen. and first-time candidate Ulysses Grant was nominated for president and tapped House Speaker Schuyler Colfax for vice president, the GOP has had a history of almost always running a seasoned political "pro" for vice president when the nominee for the top job is a political outsider or non-office-holder.
Gen. Dwight Eisenhower was matched with known anti-communist Sen. Richard Nixon in 1952 and, more recently, "anti-Washington" nominees Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush turned to "insiders" George H.W. Bush and Dick Cheney, respectively, as running mates.

In Sessions, Trump — who has never held elected office before — would have a running mate who has been active in politics since he was in the Young Republicans at Huntingdon College in Alabama back when the GOP in the South was in the proverbial telephone booth.

Tapped by President Reagan to be U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Alabama in 1981, University of Alabama Law School graduate and U.S. Army Reserve Capt. Sessions developed a reputation as "the Southern Giuliani" for his successful prosecution record.

When Reagan appointed Sessions to the U.S. District Court in 1986, civil rights and liberal groups mobilized charged he had made insensitive comments about the civil rights movement — comments, Sessions insisted, were made "in jest" and which he was apologized for.

But supporters could never muster the one additional vote they needed in the Senate Judiciary Committee to break a 9-9 tie and report the Sessions nomination to the Senate. The nomination was withdrawn.

Sessions went on to be elected state attorney general in 1994 and, two years later, was easily elected to the Senate seat relinquished by the political actor pivotal to thwarting his nomination to the bench: Democrat Howell Heflin, who after saying he would support Sessions on the Judiciary Committee, ended up voting "no."

One unique part of a Trump-Sessions team-up that Democrats are sure to bring up is that, with Trump recently turning 70 and Sessions turning 70 in December, theirs would be the oldest national ticket of a major party in history. However, Trump is said not to care about this and it would seem that a Democratic nominee who is 69 would not try to make this an issue.

Plus, reports suggests the Trump will not name his vice president shall not many early, but wants to save it for the convention as a major touch point in his political coronation.

While friends of Trump acknowledge that sessions is the current front runner they also admit that it's not concrete until it's announced. Other candidates that make the shortlist or Gov. Jan Brewer of Arizona, Gov. Mary Fallin of Oklahoma, Gen. Mike Flynn, former director of the defense intelligence agency, and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Trump's VP Front-runner: Sen. Sessions of Alabama
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 05:23:35 pm »
I really don't like that pick because I don't think it helps him, at all.

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 05:26:59 pm »
He is dead to me.

#Noforgiveness.  #Nevertrump
Former Republican.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 05:27:48 pm »
He isn't all that conservative. You didn't see him battling with Lee and Cruz very often.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 05:34:25 pm »
Daniel Lin ‏@DLin71 May 13

Trump’s VP shortlist
-John Miller
-John Barron
-Tonald Drump
-Art Vandelay
-Donald Trump with Mirrorverse goatee
-Yugey McYugehands

Daniel Lin ‏@DLin71 May 3

Trump’s VP shortlist
-Tanks from Tiananmen Square
-Loop of Jack Bauer torturing someone
-Starbucks cups plastered with Christmas decorations

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 05:39:47 pm »

It seems this is a trial balloon to get reaction... To me it is a concession to the bare fact that Trump is having real trouble attracting Conservatives (Just like his meeting with Evangelical leaders)...

It makes no difference to me, and I doubt it would make any difference with other Conservatives... It's like putting chocolate sprinkles on a turd.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 05:51:20 pm »
It seems this is a trial balloon to get reaction... To me it is a concession to the bare fact that Trump is having real trouble attracting Conservatives (Just like his meeting with Evangelical leaders)...

It makes no difference to me, and I doubt it would make any difference with other Conservatives... It's like putting chocolate sprinkles on a turd.

Yeah, I can't think of people running to support his candidacy just because Sessions is the VP.  He's just not that strong/well-known enough of a personality to make people think he could materially influence the guy.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 05:53:28 pm »
Daniel Lin ‏@DLin71 May 13

Trump’s VP shortlist
-John Miller
-John Barron
-Tonald Drump
-Art Vandelay
-Yugey McYugehands

If he's going to go with a New Yorker, I'd suggest Dr. van Nostrand.  Their personalities would be a much better fit.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 05:54:07 pm »
Oh goody.  Two old white men, one 69, the other in his 70s.  Yeah, that's really going to fire people up. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 05:55:55 pm »
Not sure how well that would work. Mirrorverse Trump would be modest, peaceful and benevolent.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline chae

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 05:57:52 pm »
Well, at least now we know what price Sessions puts on his conservative principles.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 06:01:48 pm »
Yeah, I can't think of people running to support his candidacy just because Sessions is the VP.  He's just not that strong/well-known enough of a personality to make people think he could materially influence the guy.

But Sessions IS a strong Conservative (prior to drinking the Trump-Aid)... And very well known in Conservative circles...
I am sure the idea is to give Conservatives a reason to join in, ala McCain/Palin - My point though, is that it didn't work for McCain, and it won't work for Trump. Conservatives, by and large, look at the man - They pay no mind to bells and whistles.

It wouldn't matter if he got Ted Cruz himself to sign on for VP... I wouldn't vote for Trump under any condition.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 06:02:54 pm »

Sessions won't do a thing for Trump electorally, but it looks like he may be only the major figure willing to run with him.   There's always Newt,  I suppose, but Newt will hurt Trump, not help him.

Kudos to the many prominent Republicans who've rejected the idea of running with Trump.  This election is lost, and when Trumpism is rejected there will remain a core of principled conservatives who refused to eat this turd sandwich, and who can help pick up the pieces.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:03:26 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 06:05:56 pm »
But Sessions IS a strong Conservative (prior to drinking the Trump-Aid)... And very well known in Conservative circles...
I am sure the idea is to give Conservatives a reason to join in, ala McCain/Palin - My point though, is that it didn't work for McCain, and it won't work for Trump. Conservatives, by and large, look at the man - They pay no mind to bells and whistles.

It wouldn't matter if he got Ted Cruz himself to sign on for VP... I wouldn't vote for Trump under any condition.

The only thing it does is give me a reason not to vote for Sessions should he run for reelection in Alabama.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 06:07:45 pm »
Not sure how well that would work. Mirrorverse Trump would be modest, peaceful and benevolent.
lol.  good point.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 06:09:11 pm »
Well, at least now we know what price Sessions puts on his conservative principles.

The Thomas Figures mess that torpedoed his judicial appointment will be resurrected. He will undoubtedly be questioned also about his curious affinity for Jimmy Faulkner, Sr, who was one of the nastiest Democrat operatives the state of Alabama has ever known. Even eulogized him at the man's funeral. 
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 06:15:18 pm »
Well, I think we saw this coming.  Other than siding with Trump, Sessions is seen as a strong conservative and has stood his ground against amnesty and illegal immigration.  Trump could have picked a lot worse, but other than his strong anti-amnesty stance, he doesn't bring a whole lot to the ticket; they are going to be seen as two white, rich, racist old geezers.  Sessions net worth is around $15,000,000.00.  Perhaps with Sessions, he'll get more of the GOP to endorse him and perhaps it will help with granting him the nomination at the Convention. Sessions definitely doesn't bring enough to the table to persuade me to cast my vote for Trump. One things is for certain, the jelly doughnut boy is going to be very disappointed.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 06:16:58 pm »
He is dead to me.

#Noforgiveness.  #Nevertrump

Amen.....  Sell Out Sessions
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 06:18:19 pm »
If he's going to go with a New Yorker, I'd suggest Dr. van Nostrand.  Their personalities would be a much better fit.

I prefer scumbag sessions.  I'd hate to see an actual conservative ruin his career by running with lying don.
Former Republican.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 06:24:44 pm »
Oh goody.  Two old white men, one 69, the other in his 70s.  Yeah, that's really going to fire people up.

Two protectionist aholes...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 06:25:23 pm »
Reality check before we all go flying off the handle.   No offer has been given to Sessions, thus no acceptance.  Like another said already, this may be nothing more than a trial balloon.

But in any event, Trump to have any chance at all in November needs to reach across the wide chasm that separates his supporters and the #neverTrumps with his VP pick. I like Sessions, but no not him, and not anyone I can think of right now can change my mind about voting for Trump.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 06:29:41 pm »

Yep.  Completely superficial, and I could care less about Sessions anyway, after how he threw his former buddy Cruz under the bus for the likes of Trump.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline libertybele

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 06:33:01 pm »
Sessions is considered a hard core conservative and has been given an A+ rating by the NRA. Quite honestly, I tend to agree with Sessions on just about every issue other than free trade. He definitely won't help with the Hispanic or female vote.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Jeff_Sessions.htm
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

geronl

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 06:39:48 pm »
Sessions is considered a hard core conservative and has been given an A+ rating by the NRA.

lol.... the NRA has a less than stellar endorsement history... which is the reason other groups are growing fast

Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 06:45:52 pm »

Trump just wrapped up the George Wallace vote.  The man is shrewd.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 07:00:22 pm by Wingnut »