Author Topic: Breaking: SCOTUS hands Obama another defeat on immigration in 4-4 tie vote  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
No link yet, just breaking on Al Reuters.  SCOTUS has upheld a lower court ruling that Obama exceeded his authority by trying to allow millions of illegals to stay...

Developing....

:patriot:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SUPREME_COURT_IMMIGRATION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Jun 23, 10:50 AM EDT

Obama immigration plan blocked by 4-4 tie at Supreme Court

By MARK SHERMAN
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A tie vote by the Supreme Court is blocking President Barack Obama's immigration plan that sought to shield millions living in the U.S. illegally from deportation.

The justices' one-sentence opinion on Thursday effectively kills the plan for the duration of Obama's presidency.

A tie vote sets no national precedent but leaves in place the ruling by the lower court. In this case, the federal appeals court in New Orleans said the Obama administration lacked the authority to shield up to 4 million immigrants from deportation and make them eligible for work permits without approval from Congress.

Texas led 26 Republican-dominated states in challenging the program Obama announced in November 2014. Congressional Republicans also backed the states' lawsuit.

The Obama administration announced the programs - protections for parents of children who are in the country legally and an expansion of the program that benefits people who were brought to this country as children - in November 2014. Obama decided to move forward after Republicans won control of the Senate in the 2014 midterm elections, and the chances for an immigration overhaul, already remote, were further diminished.

The Senate had passed a broad immigration bill with Democratic and Republican support in 2013, but the measure went nowhere in the GOP-controlled House of Representatives.

The states quickly went to court to block the Obama initiatives.

Their lawsuit was heard by U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen in Brownsville, Texas. Hanen previously had criticized the administration for lax immigration enforcement. Hanen sided with the states, blocking the programs from taking effect. The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals also ruled for the states, and the Justice Department rushed an appeal to the high court so that it could be heard this term.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Not a win, but better than a loss. 

Offline skeeter

No link yet, just breaking on Al Reuters.  SCOTUS has upheld a lower court ruling that Obama exceeded his authority by trying to allow millions of illegals to stay...

Developing....

:patriot:

"How many divisions does SCOTUS have?"

I can't help but be pessimistic. These are the kinds of dictatorial a-holes who simply do not care what any other authority says - until they are forcibly restrained they will continue.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:17:26 pm by skeeter »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
One of the most blatant unconstitutional abuses of power by a President that I'm aware of, and the court went 4-4? I hate to call this a victory, it's just downright scary. We are one justice away from the total leftist agenda simply sailing thru via executive order.

It's like the liberals on the court don't even care about separate but equal branches, which directly affects them and their livelihood.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:27:26 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
These rulings will change after Hillary's first nominee is seated.

#Nevertrumps, the democrats, the GOP elites, the cheap labor express, the crony capitalists will rejoice.

The American middle class will suffer, but hey they must be punished for their rebelliousness, by nominating Trump.

One great big happy world, with massive muslim immigration, only politically correct speech, fewer and smaller guns, etc.

Enjoy.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Free Vulcan wrote:
"I hate to call this a victory, it's just downright scary. We are one justice away from the total leftist agenda simply sailing thru via executive order."

You've stated your case quite well, and now I'll state mine:

Who ya votin' for in November?

That is all...

Oceander

#Nevertrumps, the democrats, the GOP elites, the cheap labor express, the crony capitalists will rejoice.

The American middle class will suffer, but hey they must be punished for their rebelliousness, by nominating Trump.

One great big happy world, with massive muslim immigration, only politically correct speech, fewer and smaller guns, etc.

Enjoy.

Trump supporters are the only ones who will guarantee this outcome. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Enjoy.
I think you seriously misinterpret the #nevertrumps, who don't like your flavor of liberal, either.

Of course, since the view from the mothership out here is limited, maybe we have misinterpreted your boy.

Y'all (presumptively) will nominate him, own it your own selves. We told you where we stand long ago.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis