Author Topic: Conservative Minds: The Disconnect Between Duck Dynasty and Dante  (Read 1934 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Conservative Minds: The Disconnect Between Duck Dynasty and Dante
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 02:59:48 PM »
Interesting perspective. It's easy to get sucked into this kind of prejudice and you start looking down you nose at people who you think look down their nose at you. A good example is Jimmy Stewart's character in The Philidelphia Story. I've never had that thought in regards to education though (unless people try to buffalo something through saying they went to Havard) I quite enjoy studing old and occasionally oddball philosphy.

Offline chae

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 03:16:42 PM »
But some pop culture can also teach as well as classics can.  The movie "Serenity" is an indictment of safe spaces and liberalism, set with intriguing characters and a "space western" theme.  The original 'Civil War" storyline in the Marvel comics was really great, with autonomy vs a police state. 
And then there's My Little Pony: Friendship is magic.  The two-part episode, "The cutie-map" tears apart Marxism 
here's a synopsis   
http://thefederalist.com/2015/04/08/my-little-pony-to-children-marxism-is-not-magic/

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 06:32:52 PM »
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 06:38:55 PM by roamer_1 »

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 06:59:22 PM »
I wonder if the author of this article would be surprised to learn that Phil Robertson holds a Master's Degree in Education from Louisiana Tech?  :pondering:
The more people I meet, the more convinced I am that I should be a hermit living in a cabin in a deep forest.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 07:18:29 PM »
I wonder if the author of this article would be surprised to learn that Phil Robertson holds a Master's Degree in Education from Louisiana Tech?  :pondering:

Did you read the article? Dreher says nothing to disparage PR or those who enjoy his tv show.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 07:37:28 PM »
Did you read the article? Dreher says nothing to disparage PR or those who enjoy his tv show.

My question didn't depend on any disparagement taking place. However I will note that the very title seems to suggest that people can't enjoy both Duck Dynasty and Dante, when clearly some people can.

However to directly answer your question, I skimmed the article and did not read it closely.  :shrug:

Edit: I went back and read the article closely. My first impression was confirmed: the author uses a lot of words to say very little. But, that's just my opinion, and others may (and often do) think differently than I.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:07:06 PM by Bear_in_RoseBear »
The more people I meet, the more convinced I am that I should be a hermit living in a cabin in a deep forest.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 09:17:09 PM »
There it is, right there: The recognition of the disconnect, even if through a misplaced symbol:

The very last bastion of American Conservatism resides in the first principle thing that matters to a backwoods redneck boy - Something all the cultural 'adjusters' (good and bad) will have the worst time removing:

snip

It is the quintessential nature of Duck Dynasty. and the veritable proof through the ages that what the book-learned, high-brow set argue about with their brandies, and pipes, and overstuffed leather chairs, IS REAL. It is the natural order, reduced to the basics, that proves Conservatism to be TRUE.

It isn't the ivy league that carries us - Quite the other way around.

I do not want to misunderstand you.

Are you taking an either / or position? I took Dreher as advocating for both / and.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 09:23:31 PM »
I do not want to misunderstand you.

Are you taking an either / or position? I took Dreher as advocating for both / and.

Neither one, but more a matter of precedence - If the young Conservative seeks enlightenment from the masters, the mountain he must climb will be located in Montana... or Tennessee... not in hallowed halls and ivory towers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf