Author Topic: It's Time to Dump Trump At the Republican National Convention  (Read 2026 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.weeklystandard.com/its-time-to-dump-trump/article/2002839/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=t.co&utm_campaign=20160615_TWS-blog-dump-trump-at-rnc-3_twitter&utm_content=TWS

It's Time to Dump Trump
At the Republican National Convention

12:05 PM, JUN 15, 2016 |

By JAY COST

Donald Trump is on course to be routed at the ballot box in November. He trails Hillary Clinton by 12 points in the latest Bloomberg News national poll, and has only led her in four polls out of thirty three since April, according to Real Clear Politics. A new ABC News/Washington Post poll finds that his favorable rating has dropped to a paltry 31 percent among registered voters, with 69 percent viewing him unfavorably.

This is hardly surprising, given that he continues to make outrageous comments. Most recently, he seemed to accuse American soldiers of embezzling aid money earmarked for war-torn Iraq—something that he has done before. His fundraising is anemic, and some insiders are wondering if he will have to accept public financing for the general election, which would leave his cash-strapped campaign totally unable to take on the Clinton juggernaut.

The Republican party deserves better than Trump, and it is not too late to get rid of him. The delegates at the GOP convention in Cleveland this July can and should select somebody else as the presidential nominee.

The process of dumping Trump is not all that difficult. The delegates are not technically bound to vote for the winner of the primaries and caucuses. Under the rules of the Republican party, they first have to vote to bind themselves to those results—meaning that they are, in truth, free to do whatever they like. There was an effort during the pre-convention maneuvering in 2012 to bind delegates formally, but this endeavor was unsuccessful. So, the delegates have the sovereign authority to choose somebody other than Trump.

This can happen one of two ways: the party's rules committee can draft a report that unbinds the convention delegates, or a majority of the delegates can vote to do that from the convention floor itself. Either way, the primaries and caucuses are non-binding "beauty contests," until the delegates affirmatively declare them otherwise.

What about the republican principle that the majority should rule? This is, after all, the backbone of our experiment in self-government. Is it not deeply unfair to suspend that standard to stop Trump? It might be, except that Trump did not actually win a majority of the vote. In fact, 55 percent of Republican voters supported somebody else. Trump backers like to boast that nobody in party history has won so many votes, but this claim is misleading. In fact no presumptive GOP nominee in the modern era has won as small a share of the primary vote as Trump.

The principle of plurality rule may be invoked to defend Trump's nomination, but it is hardly decisive in the American electoral system. California and Louisiana employ "jungle" primaries, where the top-two finishers in multi-party primaries advance to the general election, ensuring that the ultimate winner has received a majority of the vote. The U.S. Constitution contains a similar procedure to govern the election of the president. While each state legislature is free to allocate its electors however it wants (including by plurality rule), a candidate cannot become president unless he has received an outright majority in the Electoral College. Otherwise, the House of Representatives makes the final decision, and it is not bound to the candidate who won the most electoral votes. Similarly, the rules of the House require a speaker to have received support from an outright majority of all members—a plurality is insufficient.

snip
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
Re: It's Time to Dump Trump At the Republican National Convention
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 11:25:36 pm »
Sign me up.
Former Republican.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 12:00:47 am »
Except Trump won the majority; it is the will of the people.  That is something that shouldn't be taken lightly or ignored.  His supporters would need to rally and ask him to step down.  I don't see that happening.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline OldSaltUSN

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 12:04:04 am »
Just sent this article to an Idaho delegate and said "Above all, vote your conscience."

HonestJohn

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 12:33:35 am »
Except Trump won the majority; it is the will of the people.  That is something that shouldn't be taken lightly or ignored.  His supporters would need to rally and ask him to step down.  I don't see that happening.

I don't see a down side to removing Trump at the convention.

If he's removed and his supporters stay, then we have a shot of winning in November.

If he's removed and his supporters bolt, then we will have rid the party of the segment of the GOP that has been the very cause of it's inability to grow into new demographics.  While this would mean a loss in 2016, it would allow the party to finally be able to expand.  Which means a very good chance to win in 2020 and onward into the future.

There is no real downside to removing the Buchanan element of the GOP.  There wasn't in the 1980s when Buckley did it.  And there isn't one now.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 12:34:56 am by HonestJohn »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 12:35:45 am »
Yes please.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 12:47:08 am »
The delegates at the GOP convention in Cleveland this July can and should select somebody else as the presidential nominee.
Well, that's helpful. Come on, "somebody else," step up to the plate. 
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 12:52:53 am »

Trump did not win any majority of republican votes and I  hope and pray that the delegates at the convention flatly refuse to hand him the party's nomination.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 01:58:53 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 12:55:44 am »

It would sure piss off many Trump voters, to have an insider game, Ryan, Romney, Bushx3, Kristol aimed at depriving them of his primary wins.

Of course from the stand point of the elites, they are more interested in preserving their power and prestige. Those dirty little voters don't matter that much to them.

I believe it is delusional to assume those elites would nominate Cruz, btw. So get those dirty little voters, to vote for their hand picked candidate?

By dirty little voters, I mean the ones which #nevertrumps said were uneducated, racists,  fascists, etc. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 05:15:54 am »
Trump did not win any majority of republican votes and I  hope and pray that the delegates at the convention flatly refuse to hand him the party's nomination.

If they don't we are going to loose to Hillary and it will be Trump supporters fault.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 05:22:00 am »

I believe it is delusional to assume those elites would nominate Cruz, btw.

Here's one thing you and I agree on. Ain't gonna happen.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 05:27:20 am »
Yes please.

I'm in ... whatever it takes.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online DB

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 05:54:08 am »
It would sure piss off many Trump voters, to have an insider game, Ryan, Romney, Bushx3, Kristol aimed at depriving them of his primary wins.

So you're willing to ride that horse to the bitter end even if Trump is polling 70% negative come convention time? Because if that's the case the senate is gone and the house may be too.

Many Republicans thought the Trump wrecking ball was going to take out the GOPe and were thrilled but the truth is there isn't going to be a GOP once Trump is done. It is going to go the way of the Whigs. Republican is going to be a dirty word...

Offline Springfield Reformer

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 05:54:34 am »

For better or worse, the GOP is free to field some unknown janitor at the conclusion of their process, if that is what the process produces. George Washington thought political parties were a bad idea, IIRC, because it would move the political process away from seeking qualified individuals to seeking party loyalty. In the former model, the people retain their duty to inform themselves as individuals. In the latter, the people pass the buck to the party.  That's when they lose control. I can't tell you how many times I've seen some smug, insular politician looking down their untouchable nose at us common folk because they know we have become secondary players in this "game of thrones."

Full disclosure: I oppose Trump vehemently on many levels. But I also recognize the way the current political system has made it nearly impossible for good people to win high political office. The electorate has become more of an easily manipulated mob than the responsible, informed decision maker it was intended to be. Vast armies of trolls infect the informational process, promoting whatever the current Big Lie is required to derail the good guys seeking leadership roles. This only works because too many individuals who ought to know better have abdicated their responsibility to be their own best political educator. It's hard work, not suited to lazy thinkers. For a while, we had Camelot, a well designed system and a moral people suited to make good use of it. Once we lose the one, we can't help but lose the other. After that, all that remains is the hope of a miracle.

Peace,

SR
Winston Churchill: No Peace Till Victory!

Online DB

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 06:09:30 am »
After that, all that remains is the hope of a miracle.

That's really all I have hope for at this point, a miracle...

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 06:20:44 am »
For better or worse, the GOP is free to field some unknown janitor at the conclusion of their process, if that is what the process produces. George Washington thought political parties were a bad idea, IIRC, because it would move the political process away from seeking qualified individuals to seeking party loyalty. In the former model, the people retain their duty to inform themselves as individuals. In the latter, the people pass the buck to the party.  That's when they lose control. I can't tell you how many times I've seen some smug, insular politician looking down their untouchable nose at us common folk because they know we have become secondary players in this "game of thrones."

Full disclosure: I oppose Trump vehemently on many levels. But I also recognize the way the current political system has made it nearly impossible for good people to win high political office. The electorate has become more of an easily manipulated mob than the responsible, informed decision maker it was intended to be. Vast armies of trolls infect the informational process, promoting whatever the current Big Lie is required to derail the good guys seeking leadership roles. This only works because too many individuals who ought to know better have abdicated their responsibility to be their own best political educator. It's hard work, not suited to lazy thinkers. For a while, we had Camelot, a well designed system and a moral people suited to make good use of it. Once we lose the one, we can't help but lose the other. After that, all that remains is the hope of a miracle.

Peace,

SR

That was EXEMPLARY and I concur wholeheartedly.

Personally I can care less what the GOP does or does not do anymore because they have made it clear they wanted Principled Social Conservative Christians GONE from their party.  They operate as nothing more than the center-right spectrum of the Uniparty at Mordor on the Potomac.

Let them become fully absorbed in the Marxist Democrat party and go the way of the Whigs as they deserve.

They left us a long time ago and we were stupid enough to keep voting for them while they handed Obama a defacto dictatorship.

As to Trump - well I'm beginning to think those that suggested Trump was a Trojan Horse from the Clintons and the DNC Marxists to obliterate Conservatism and by extension the GOP, may have a point. 
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 02:17:22 pm »
So you're willing to ride that horse to the bitter end even if Trump is polling 70% negative come convention time? Because if that's the case the senate is gone and the house may be too.

Many Republicans thought the Trump wrecking ball was going to take out the GOPe and were thrilled but the truth is there isn't going to be a GOP once Trump is done. It is going to go the way of the Whigs. Republican is going to be a dirty word...

I am willing to let the Republican voters keep the candidate of their choice, not the candidate of political elites, like Kristol and Romney. Let the chips fall where the fall.

I want the tough positions that Trump advances about illegal immigration, about muslim immigration, about unfair trade, etc. The alternative choices from the elites would equal more of the same political correctness babble, pleasing to elites, but rejected by GOP voters.

Trump is not a polished political professional; obviously. The GOP lost the popular vote for President 5 of the last 6 times, with polished political pros.

What if Trump runs, wins, does a great job? That is my desire. Make America Smart Again; Make America Safe Again; Make America Great Again
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DB

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 07:18:57 pm »
I am willing to let the Republican voters keep the candidate of their choice, not the candidate of political elites, like Kristol and Romney. Let the chips fall where the fall.

I want the tough positions that Trump advances about illegal immigration, about muslim immigration, about unfair trade, etc. The alternative choices from the elites would equal more of the same political correctness babble, pleasing to elites, but rejected by GOP voters.

Trump is not a polished political professional; obviously. The GOP lost the popular vote for President 5 of the last 6 times, with polished political pros.

What if Trump runs, wins, does a great job? That is my desire. Make America Smart Again; Make America Safe Again; Make America Great Again

What if's and blind faith don't make the world go around.

Offline thatcher

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 07:23:04 pm »

Per Amanda Carpenter on CNN a few days ago:  "Eject, eject, eject.."