Author Topic: How fracking turned Texas into an energy superpower  (Read 1964 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
How fracking turned Texas into an energy superpower
« on: June 15, 2016, 12:43:13 am »
The Barnett Shale in North Texas has long played a vital role in domestic natural gas production. Beginning in 2000, the Barnett was the most productive shale gas field in the United States for nearly a decade. While recent commodity prices have slashed the number of drilling rigs in the Barnett, the region remains an important fixture in the national energy discussion.

A new report - “An Energy Revolution: 35 Years of Fracking in the Barnett Shale” - explains how the Barnett was actually where America’s rise to a global energy prominence began. .....

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-Opinion/237266/how-fracking-turned-texas-into-an-energy-superpower

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: How fracking turned Texas into an energy superpower
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 07:09:35 pm »
My Son worked Eagle Ford for a year. Laid off for a year. Now working Woodford in Oklahoma.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 09:01:28 pm »

The USA has led the world in production a number of times since the most recent explosive drilling of the unconventionals, and for much of the 19th and 20th centuries was the top oil producer in the world.
@thackney can likely find the comprehensive list, but the ones I recall are:

1. Drake's Pennsylvania well in 1859 which touched off the Appalachian oil boom.  First successful use of a drilling rig for oil to make the first commercial oil well. That process afterwards became the normal way to extract oil.

2. 1901 Spindletop gusher by Captain Lucas which exposed the prolific nature of oil production and precipitated the many salt dome discoveries along the coast, aided by surface topography and gravity measurements.  A couple of the Seven Sisters were birthed near here, as the large-scale nature of oil production began in earnest, as Spindletop #1 produced up to 1000 times the daily production of a typical Appalachian well up to that point.

3. 1930 East Texas discovery by Dad Joiner which was the largest oil discovery in the world up to that time.  Oil was so prolific it was being sold at 10 cents per barrel.  With the advent of seismic, ushered in the discovery of many of the largest fields in the US, many in the Permian.

The unconventionals now being developed via horizontal wells and fraccing are just the latest episode.

One notices that for all four of these events, it is not a coincidence that some new technology application touched off the drilling frenzy.

Demonstrates how a rather old industry can reinvent itself time and time again with innovation.

As BTO would later sing 'You ain't seen nothin' yet'

#energy
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 09:03:39 pm »
My Son worked Eagle Ford for a year. Laid off for a year. Now working Woodford in Oklahoma.

That is the nature of the oil industry, am afraid. Since it is based upon commodity prices, when oil prices are up, there is no better place to be to make money, but the reverse is also true.

I was laid off during my 42 year tenure as a petroleum engineer.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline biff

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 02:07:48 pm »
Fracking played a part but it is not as ground breaking new technology as talked about in the media. It has been around since the first hydraulic frac job took place in Oklahoma in 1949. There is an estimated 700,000 wells in the US that have been frac'd since.

The real hero of our oil boom was the perfection, implementation and proliferation of directional and horizontal drilling. The ability to drill horizontally multiplied the exposure to the 'pay zone' enormously.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 03:57:32 am »
Fracking played a part but it is not as ground breaking new technology as talked about in the media. It has been around since the first hydraulic frac job took place in Oklahoma in 1949. There is an estimated 700,000 wells in the US that have been frac'd since.

The real hero of our oil boom was the perfection, implementation and proliferation of directional and horizontal drilling. The ability to drill horizontally multiplied the exposure to the 'pay zone' enormously.

Well, I can see where you are coming from but I believe it is a combination of both.

Directional wells have also been around for quite awhile, and the application of both the drilling and the completion techniques of stage fraccing are the step-change which enabled the most recent boom.

There have been other notable technology improvements in which considerable step changes have occurred, including usage of gravity measurements to delineate salt dome structures, two dimensional seismic to image structures without drilling, three dimensional imaging, and increasingly deeper drilling/completion/facilities in deep water.

@Smokin Joe can enumerate more eloquently, am sure.

Offline biff

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 06:14:25 am »
Staged fracking is nothing new and when required extra pumping capacity is needed then they just gang more trucks together just like we did in the 60's. As well, packers, required for stage fracking are not new either.

The true star is the enormous increase in the application of DD in the last 15 years. Instead of having a vertical well with, say 100' thick pay zone, they can now have a pay zone of 10,000+ feet and hit a target at the end of those 10,000' that is a 10' square.

The vast improvements in the down hole motors, increasing bit rpm from 60 to 180 along with improved bit technology increased penetration rates only dreamed of 20 years ago.Today, after making a joint the rig floor hands hardly have time to eat lunch before they have to make another joint.

Have 2 sons, both one a DD and the other a drilling engineer (worked for DD company for 5 years) who can drill a 10k deep well with 9-10k horizontal from spud to skid rig in 18 days. Unheard of back in my day.

I almost tried to go into directional drilling back in the early 70's off shore but quickly found out it required excellent working knowledge of trig which I was lacking. It was a black art that consisted of more miss than hit and had a much wider margins than today with computer power at their fingertips. Whoever invented the capacity of sending data thru the drilling medium with sonic pulses is the one that deserves the academy award, IMHO.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 08:14:37 am »
Well, I can see where you are coming from but I believe it is a combination of both.

Directional wells have also been around for quite awhile, and the application of both the drilling and the completion techniques of stage fraccing are the step-change which enabled the most recent boom.

There have been other notable technology improvements in which considerable step changes have occurred, including usage of gravity measurements to delineate salt dome structures, two dimensional seismic to image structures without drilling, three dimensional imaging, and increasingly deeper drilling/completion/facilities in deep water.

@Smokin Joe can enumerate more eloquently, am sure.
Just to add to the list:

Improvement in survey tools and MWD technology, improvement in efficiency and reliability of mud motors, the integration of computers and networking into drilling operations, advances in drill bit technology, top drives, " iron roughnecks" and hydraulic catwalks, and the development of drill pad strategies in conjunction with 'walking' drilling rigs now have a single rig drilling over twenty times as much hole in a year of drilling as they did when I started working in the oil patch (1979--wellsite geologist).

And, like so many others, I too am awaiting a resurgence in activity.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 11:48:33 am »
Staged fracking is nothing new and when required extra pumping capacity is needed then they just gang more trucks together just like we did in the 60's. As well, packers, required for stage fracking are not new either.

The true star is the enormous increase in the application of DD in the last 15 years. Instead of having a vertical well with, say 100' thick pay zone, they can now have a pay zone of 10,000+ feet and hit a target at the end of those 10,000' that is a 10' square.

The vast improvements in the down hole motors, increasing bit rpm from 60 to 180 along with improved bit technology increased penetration rates only dreamed of 20 years ago.Today, after making a joint the rig floor hands hardly have time to eat lunch before they have to make another joint.

Have 2 sons, both one a DD and the other a drilling engineer (worked for DD company for 5 years) who can drill a 10k deep well with 9-10k horizontal from spud to skid rig in 18 days. Unheard of back in my day.

I almost tried to go into directional drilling back in the early 70's off shore but quickly found out it required excellent working knowledge of trig which I was lacking. It was a black art that consisted of more miss than hit and had a much wider margins than today with computer power at their fingertips. Whoever invented the capacity of sending data thru the drilling medium with sonic pulses is the one that deserves the academy award, IMHO.

I am a petroleum engineer who began in the early 70s and I agree nothing is all that new.  What is new is its application.

Geologists have known almost since the first wells were drilled in any basin where the hydrocarbons are.  The only ones developed were the ones they were told by engineers that commercial producing wells could be made from, the 'low-hanging fruit'.  Gradually, as these got picked over, increasingly poorer opportunities that were either smaller, thinner or less permeability were targeted.  Never as attractive, but were made out of necessity.

Ask any geologist back then, those poorer quality zones were the ones that bled oil or gas to the mud, that might have kicked.

And the frac technique is so far different than what it was back then that it is almost laughable.  I used to frac wells in the Vicksburg down in South Texas in the mid 70s.  We thought we did it right, but boy were we wrong, as the newer techniques have been able to multiply the amounts of gas from those wells.

And BTW, getting those wells down quickly do have downsides, as the fluid losses now are overlooked compared to what they were when wells were more carefully drilled.  The completions now can 'hide' that problem as they frac past the near wellbore damage caused by that rapid drilling fluid loss to the formation.

The team of people I last worked with in North Dakota were proficient as the geologist, the drilling engineer and the completions engineer worked much more closely together than at any time in my 40+ years.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 12:35:32 pm »
I am a petroleum engineer who began in the early 70s and I agree nothing is all that new.  What is new is its application.

Geologists have known almost since the first wells were drilled in any basin where the hydrocarbons are.  The only ones developed were the ones they were told by engineers that commercial producing wells could be made from, the 'low-hanging fruit'.  Gradually, as these got picked over, increasingly poorer opportunities that were either smaller, thinner or less permeability were targeted.  Never as attractive, but were made out of necessity.

Ask any geologist back then, those poorer quality zones were the ones that bled oil or gas to the mud, that might have kicked.

And the frac technique is so far different than what it was back then that it is almost laughable.  I used to frac wells in the Vicksburg down in South Texas in the mid 70s.  We thought we did it right, but boy were we wrong, as the newer techniques have been able to multiply the amounts of gas from those wells.

And BTW, getting those wells down quickly do have downsides, as the fluid losses now are overlooked compared to what they were when wells were more carefully drilled.  The completions now can 'hide' that problem as they frac past the near wellbore damage caused by that rapid drilling fluid loss to the formation.

The team of people I last worked with in North Dakota were proficient as the geologist, the drilling engineer and the completions engineer worked much more closely together than at any time in my 40+ years.
Yes, gas shows from the Bakken (for an example I am well familiar with) were fairly commonplace, and I had been noting oil shows as well, since the first time I saw samples from it in '79. But an attempt to Drill Stem Test in open hole had engineers pulling their hair out. If you were good enough to find a packer seat in the lower Lodgepole that would hold, when you opened the tool, the shale sloughed, either plugging the tool, or worse, sticking it in the hole. So that. just. didn't. get. done. Sometimes, the really spectacular shows were 'checked out' as deeper zones (usually Duperow or Red River) depleted or watered in and then the formation was perforated during the process of  plugging back, either for a Madison zone or for P&A.

There were vertical wells which made 250,000 or more barrels of oil (out of the Bakken), but those tapped natural fractures and were the exception. The Bakken wasn't the original target, but a deeper formation, so those were a bonus.

I agree that MWD (Measurement While Drilling) development was the clincher. I remember doing a directional well in Nevada with a film camera survey tool where the heat flow was so high (hot hole) that the film got too cooked to get an image on about half of the surveys. Every survey involved shutting down for two hours or so to run it and get the results. After that, side door subs and wet connect wireline tools, then pulsers and real MWD. Every step was an order of magnitude faster, to where data was fairly continuous and a full survey took less than five minutes. During that time period, we went from drafting well logs on velum to generating them on computers, too.

I have worked with some good DDs and MWDs, some great Company Hands, and some fantastic rig crews, (and, here and there, I have worked with a$$holes, egomainacs, and incompetents). During slow times, the hands tend to be good, but during a boom, it's a crapshoot. Some are fantastic, some are okay, and many are just new to the job.  Those who know they don't know can be taught, the really good hands work well with others as a team--and that shows up in the results, and the egomaniacs and a$$holes should be out selling door to door or something, but not on a drilling rig making an already hard job tougher for everyone. Leadership is especially important, and having people on location who just naturally build teamwork is a real plus.

Every basin is different, every formation has its quirks, and no two wells--even from the same pad--are exactly alike.

It's great when we know precisely the objective and everyone is on board (because everything is operating and monitored 24 hours a day) and you're running 12 hour shifts.

Keep in mind, that by the time the frac crews moved in, I was off on another wellsite, but from what I hear, the multistage fracs and the general advancements in frac techniques helped make that boom as much as any geosteering we ever did. When I started, if you made 300 ft. a day in the Paleozoics, you were doing well. The last well I worked, we were making 3000 ft. a day, and it's even faster just a year later.

It all boils down to a mission oriented environment where what everyone does is important, and anyone dropping the ball affects everyone's performance and the outcome for the oil company in the end.

Then too, some prospects are better than others, but the mission was to make the best well possible on that lease.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:38:45 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis