Author Topic: Mass shooting and hostage taking at Orlando gay nightclub appears to be Islamic terrorism  (Read 54999 times)

Online mountaineer

This is a lie, I bet.

The fact that Mateen also checked out other possible targets like Disney World shows that it was not an anti-gay attack
Certainly. It's like the difference between premeditated murder and "heat of passion" manslaughter. This would/should have been a first degree murder charge had the perp not been killed.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Therefore could you please provide the quotes from the Declaration, about homosexuality, abortion, marriage, drugs, dancing, or showing ankles ?
On abortion:
"and are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, among them LIFE, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" (paraphrased)

And do I need to go through all of the marriage certificates of the Declaration signers to prove to you that homosexuality was not accepted?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Polly Ticks

This is a lie, I bet.

The fact that Mateen also checked out other possible targets like Disney World shows that it was not an anti-gay attack

Not necessarily.  The first week in June is Gay Pride week at Disney World.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

rangerrebew

Florida Rejected Key Counterterrorism Legislation Ahead of Attack
Posted By Adam Kredo On June 13, 2016 @ 2:15 pm In National Security | No Comments

Florida lawmakers rejected a key piece of counterterrorism legislation earlier this year, prompting outrage from some defense experts who told the Washington Free Beacon that the victims of Sunday’s mass terror attack in Orlando could have used the measure to hold those who plotted the assault accountable.

On the heels of Sunday’s shooting, in which an attacker who pledged allegiance to the ISIS terror group killed 49 bystanders, marking the deadliest terror attack on U.S. soil since 9/11, some are criticizing Florida’s legislature for rejecting a counter-terrorism bill that would have paved the way for victims of these crimes to sue the organizers and sponsors in state court.

The legislation, known as Andy’s Law, has already passed in at least five states but was rejected earlier this year by Florida’s legislature despite gaining bipartisan support from state lawmakers.

Florida Republican House Speaker Steve Crisafulli killed the counter-terror the bill by preventing it from coming to a full vote in the State House.

The legislation could have empowered victims of Sunday’s attack to seek unprecedented recourse in state court by allowing them to file suit against the attackers and anyone identified as supporting the plot. Any suit would have fallen under statutes governed by state RICO laws.

The law would have boosted criminal penalties for terrorism and the support of terrorism. It also provides state-level legal recourse for terror victims who have experienced trouble pursuing their cases on a federal level.

While the Florida version of Andy’s Law overwhelmingly passed out of several committees in the state legislature, it failed to see final passage.

“Unfortunately, because Andy’s Law failed to pass in the Florida House of Representatives, victims of the Orlando Jihadist massacre, as well as their surviving family members, have been denied a powerful tool for seeking retribution against those individuals and organizations who may have supported or inspired Omar Mateen,” the alleged perpetrator of Sunday’s attack, said Christopher Holton, vice president for outreach at the Center for Security Policy.

Sunday’s attack is just the latest terror assault to take place in the Sunshine state.

Mateen is the second radical tied to a small mosque in Fort Pierce, according to reports.

The hijackers responsible for carrying out the 9/11 attacks attended flight school in Florida. The first American to carry out a suicide bombing in Syria, Moner-Mohammad Abu-Salha, grew up in Florida.

Holton, whose organization has advocated on behalf of Andy’s Law, wrote in a recent opinion piece that the legislation empowers terror victims in ways that the federal government has failed to do.

“It is needed on the state level because our bureaucratized counterterrorism apparatus on the federal level is routinely reluctant to bring terrorism charges in cases that are clearly terrorism,” Holton wrote. “The law also creates a civil cause of action empowering victims of terrorism to sue in state court those who provide material support and aid those who commit acts of terrorism. Andy’s Law has already passed into law in Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas, North Carolina, and Tennessee.”

Holton said that powerful Muslim advocacy organizations have led the effort against the legislation.

“All of these well-funded groups and their allies are active in Florida,” he wrote. “They are the only known opponents of Andy’s Law. This raises serious questions about the political terrain in the Sunshine State, to say the least when a prominent Republican leader would unilaterally kill a popular counterterrorism measure opposed by nefarious elements of the Muslim Brotherhood.”

Update 3:45 p.m.: Following publication, Crisafulli told the Free Beacon in a statement that he should not be blamed for the bill’s failure to pass, blaming instead the heads of the relevant committees:

“As Speaker, I appointed members to committees and assigned chairs and vice chairs who set their agendas, but I did not use my authority to micromanage legislation,” Crisafulli said. “It was fairly easy for a hard working member to find success in the process. However, in the rare occasion when I was asked to be involved, it was because a bill sponsor or supporter enlisted my assistance. With respect to House Bill 3, I had no contact with Rep. Hill or any other members seeking assistance for a hearing.”

“Only now, months after the Session, am I hearing about the bill not passing,” Crisafulli continued. “The good news is, victims of terrorism can sue their attackers under federal law. No one will be prevented from seeking civil damages against terrorists. Thankfully, the perpetrator of this weekend’s cowardly terror attack in Orlando met the ultimate justice at the hands of our brave law enforcement officers. Let us continue to pray for the victims and families of this horrific attack and support our military as they work to wipe radical Islamic terrorism off the map.”

Article printed from Washington Free Beacon: http://freebeacon.com

URL to article: http://freebeacon.com/national-security/florida-rejected-key-counter-terrorism-legislation-ahead-attack/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

If he had shot up a bunch of little kids at Disney World, would it have been a hate crime?  Seems to me all Islamic terror is about hate.  When is murder love?

Bingo.  All murder is a hate crime so why do we need a federal law to cover it?

States will handle all murderers just fine without the need for feds involvement.

After all, Obama could just forgive them as he is doing for so many felons and those known murderers in Guantanomo
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Obviously there need to be very significant changes, in how we screen and scrutinize, wouldn't you agree?

Depending on the same TSA that strip-searches little kids and grandmas and passes through suspicious people due to PC?

No thanks, I'll take my own chances and avoid that.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mateen was denied buying body armor but not the weapons; per Mark Levin.

Offline musiclady

Mateen was denied buying body armor but not the weapons; per Mark Levin.

Who denied him the body armor but supplied the weapons?  One source?  Or several?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline TomSea

Who denied him the body armor but supplied the weapons?  One source?  Or several?

Mark Levin said this, that's all I know. Sorry. Drudge report has up that Mateen used a gay op (drudgereport) and other stories indicate he had been to that club a dozen times.  Looking like a real crackpot and likely or at least possibly personally conflicted about these sexual matters, sexual orientation.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:20:15 am by TomSea »

Offline musiclady

Mark Levin said this, that's all I know. Sorry. Drudge report has up that Mateen used a gay op (drudgereport) and other stories indicate he had been to that club a dozen times.  Looking like a real crackpot and likely or at least possibly personally conflicted about these sexual matters, sexual orientation.

OK.......... I'll follow up by looking at what Mark said and where he got it.

If the guy is a true Islamist/ISIS type, he doesn't have to be a crackpot to hate homosexuals.  It's part of his "religion."

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Orlando gunman had used gay dating app, visited nightclub, witnesses say

from The Los Angeles Times
By Molly Hennessy-Fiske, Jenny Jarvie and Del Quentin Wilber
June 13, 2016

The gunman who attacked a Florida gay nightclub had attended the club before the attack and had used a gay dating and chat app, witnesses said.

Kevin West, a regular at Pulse nightclub, said Omar Mateen messaged him on and off for a year before the shooting using the gay chat and dating app Jack'd.

At least four regular customers of Pulse, the nightclub where the massacre took place, told the Orlando Sentinel on Monday that they believed they had seen Mateen there before. (One such customer) saw Mateen at the club at least a dozen times.

Also Monday, officials said Mateen appeared to have been radicalized by Islamic extremists on the internet but expressed sympathies with radical groups that violently oppose each other.

(excerpt)
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/orlando-gunman-had-used-gay-dating-app-visited-nightclub-witnesses-say/ar-AAh0eVN?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=AARDHP

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Just like the California couple murdered coworkers at a Christmas party, perhaps this guy just chose to murder people he was somewhat familiar with.  Or not.  It seems based on the friend's testimony and now news of the app use that it is a possibility.  All that does is bring us BACK to the fact that he murdered because of Islamic terror ideology and for no other reasons.  His victims were likely victims of convenience.
It also doesn't totally rule out that he was using "being gay" as taqiyya, basically a cover story to scout the gay bar as a potential attack point.

Offline TomSea

It also doesn't totally rule out that he was using "being gay" as taqiyya, basically a cover story to scout the gay bar as a potential attack point.

It's scary that this could happen to many "soft targets", I don't even want to venture where but it could happen in a lot of places if not everywhere.

Offline TomSea

Brooklyn native and mother of 11 died in Orlando nightclub attack.

BY
Ginger Adams Otis
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, June 13, 2016, 9:46 PM

A Brooklyn native and mother of 11 was among the 49 victims killed Sunday by an ISIS-inspired gunman.

Brenda Lee Marquez McCool, 49, a two-time cancer survivor and mother to 11 children, was killed in the Orlando bloodbath at Pulse — but her 21-year-old son, who was with her, survived.

The fun-loving mom and her son Isaiah Henderson, who is gay, were enjoying a night out at Pulse — something they often did together, friends said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/brooklyn-native-mother-11-died-orlando-nightclub-attack-article-1.2672514

Words fail me.

Offline TomSea

http://www.voanews.com/media/video/3374371.html

Video.

About 14 of the 49 killed by the gunmen. Almost all of them have Hispanic names; even leaning towards Cuban and Puerto Rican surnames.

So, this guy, as well, killed a bunch of Hispanics at it appears now.

Rest in peace and in my prayers.

Offline Lando Lincoln

http://www.voanews.com/media/video/3374371.html

Video.

About 14 of the 49 killed by the gunmen. Almost all of them have Hispanic names; even leaning towards Cuban and Puerto Rican surnames.

So, this guy, as well, killed a bunch of Hispanics at it appears now.

Rest in peace and in my prayers.

I read the club was very popular among in Puerto Rican community.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I'm not a member of law enforcement. But it seems to me that if you have a situation where one or more shooters are just killing individuals, firing freely, your number one priority is to "get in there" and STOP them from killing any more?

Jes' askin' ...

That is simply more common sense, than is being exhibited these days. Some LEO agencies arrive and have the plans and bravery to go in fast and end it. In this case, there has been no explanation offered to justify the wait, which probably cost many lives.

Nor have we heard if some people were aggresive enough, to rush the guy. Just one man with two guns, which required reloading from time to time.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

I found a report on WBBH saying the same thing...but it doesn't list the source.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/32202799/orlando-nightclub-shooting-gunman-pledged-allegiance-to-isis
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline verga

That is simply more common sense, than is being exhibited these days. Some LEO agencies arrive and have the plans and bravery to go in fast and end it. In this case, there has been no explanation offered to justify the wait, which probably cost many lives.

Nor have we heard if some people were aggresive enough, to rush the guy. Just one man with two guns, which required reloading from time to time.
I just listened to an interview that Joe Pags did with his cousin. She is a member of the Gay community and had almost went to the club that night. The way she described the club was that there were several rooms and it was very confined quarters. It is likely that the police were trying to figure out the lay out or looking for an alternate access point to minimize further casualties. 
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

rangerrebew

;
Who was Omar Mateen?; Is Orlando the US’ Paris attack?

By Ben Watson Read bio
    Bradley Peniston Read bio

http://www.defenseone.com/news/2016/06/the-d-brief-june-13-2016/129014/?oref=d-river

June 13, 2016

Who was Omar Mateen, and how did this man on a U.S. law enforcement watchlist slip through the system? Investigators are racing to find out as much as they can about the now-dead 29-year-old New York-born man variously described as bipolar, abusive, and not terribly religious or social who killed 50 people and wounded another 53 Sunday morning in Orlando during the worst mass-shooting in America’s history—and the deadliest terrorist attack on U.S. soil since Sept. 11, 2001.

“Law enforcement authorities said that Mr. Mateen, wielding an assault rifle and a pistol, stormed the club and called 911 from inside to declare his allegiance to the Islamic State, the brutal group that has taken over parts of Syria, Iraq and Libya,” The New York Times reports. “Mr. Mateen had been investigated in the past for possible terrorist ties, but the F.B.I. ultimately found no evidence. Still, he was believed to be on at least one watch list.”

How he met his end: “A three-hour standoff followed the initial assault, with people inside effectively held hostage until around 5 a.m., when law enforcement officials led by a SWAT team raided the club, using an armored vehicle and explosives designed to disorient and distract. Over a dozen police officers and sheriff’s deputies engaged in a shootout with Mr. Mateen, leaving him dead and an officer wounded, his life saved by a Kevlar helmet that deflected a bullet.”

About those previous looks into Mateen by U.S. authorities: “The F.B.I. investigated Mr. Mateen in 2013 when he made comments to co-workers suggesting he had terrorist ties, and again the next year, for possible connections to Moner Mohammad Abusalha, an American who became a suicide bomber in Syria, said Ronald Hopper, an assistant agent in charge of the bureau’s Tampa Division. But each time, the F.B.I. found no solid evidence that Mr. Mateen had any real connection to terrorism or had broken any laws.”

Despite his pledge to ISIS, authorities are focusing more on what appears to be Mateen’s “self-radicalization” than any actual training and preparation by the terrorist group. Indeed, the Islamic State’s chief spokesman put out a call for followers to attack the U.S. during Ramadan, as CNN reports.

But the bigger picture view suggests, as the Times’ Rukmini Callimachi writes, that to ISIS, whether Mateen was acting for the group or was motivated by his own hatred toward gays, makes little difference. “Influencing distant attackers to pledge allegiance to the Islamic State and then carry out mass murder has become a core part of the group’s propaganda over the past two years. It is a purposeful blurring of the line between operations that are planned and carried out by the terror group’s core fighters and those carried out by its sympathizers.” More on that psychological glimpse into the exporting of terror, here.

And as Defense One’s Tech Editor Patrick Tucker wrote in the wake of the Chattanooga shooting not yet a year ago, even with a list of eight warning signs to look out for in the next “lone-wolf” attack, it remains incredibly hard to stop these episodes of mass violence. Find the eight behaviors from the psychological literature here.

Worth noting: the attack in Orlando “comes at a time of catastrophic military losses” for ISIS in Iraq and Syria, said Patrick Skinner of the Soufan Group.

Indeed, the U.S.-led coalition has killed “more than 120 Islamic State leaders, commanders, propagandists, recruiters and other so-called high-value individuals so far this year,” LA Times’ Bill Hennigan reported this weekend. A bit more on the ISIS battles in Iraq and Syria below.

Across the pond, the war goes on… With Orlando on everyone’s mind, Defense Secretary Ash Carter, his entourage and the Pentagon press corps departed Monday morning for NATO headquarters in Brussels—and the final gathering of defense ministers before next month’s presidential-level summit in Warsaw. Defense One’s Executive Editor Kevin Baron is along for the ride. The meeting was billed as expected, he writes: counter-ISIS, Russia, Afghanistan. But for certain the attack in Orlando gives a bit more focus to what European security officials already have learned: terrorism in their homelands.

Just two months ago, European and British security officials spoke plainly at the Aspen Security Forum in London about how they are evolving their counterterrorism thinking—and policymaking—past battlefield wins and borders control. Instead of just trying to stop terrorism, there’s an urgent sense of wanting to stop citizens and others within their populations from ever becoming terrorists to begin with. That’s a step the U.S. has not reached, not as robustly, at least, in part because Americans had not yet had their Paris, their Brussels, their Istanbul. Now they have. Now they have Orlando.

NATO defense ministers usually use their final pre-summit meeting to lockdown future commitments to the Afghanistan war, their budget shortfalls, and other pledges. Will they connect their collective security mission to Orlando? Or will we see any “official” as-NATO participation in the war against ISIS. It’s a long way from Belgium to Florida. Today, it feels a little bit closer.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 10:36:15 am by rangerrebew »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline TomSea

Offline TomSea

I just listened to an interview that Joe Pags did with his cousin. She is a member of the Gay community and had almost went to the club that night. The way she described the club was that there were several rooms and it was very confined quarters. It is likely that the police were trying to figure out the lay out or looking for an alternate access point to minimize further casualties.

The police blew a hole in one of the back walls to get people out.

Offline musiclady

rangerrebew

Hispanics Shaken By Heavy Toll At Orlando Club Massacre

Family members help a woman out of a senior citizen's center after being notified of the fate of their loved ones, one day after a mass shooting at the Pulse gay night club in Orlando, Florida, U.S., June 13, 2016. REUTERS/Adrees Latif

June 14, 2016

By Letitia Stein and Fiona Ortiz

ORLANDO, Fla./CHICAGO (Reuters) – It was a carefree “vacilón” – a pumped up party – at Orlando’s Pulse nightclub on Saturday night, full of Latinos dancing to salsa, bachata and thumping reggaeton at the gay club’s Latin music night.

By early Sunday morning, the party was shattered by the biggest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. Most of the 49 people shot dead by a single gunman were Latino, more than half of them of Puerto Rican origin, four Mexican citizens and one man from the Dominican Republic, according to officials.

http://www.oann.com/hispanics-shaken...club-massacre/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:49:35 pm by AbaraXas »