Author Topic: Stanford sex offender Brock Turner's court file shows he lied about drug use  (Read 1389 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_29988209/excerpts-from-stanford-sex-offender-brock-turners-court

Some details from former Stanford swimmer Brock Turner's court file:

When Turner is released, he will be on probation for three years -- and one condition of probation recommended by the probation department and set by Judge Aaron Persky bans him from possessing or consuming alcohol, or going to places where he knows alcohol is the primary item of sale for the three years. He will also have to submit to chemical tests for drugs or alcohol at any time.

The judge imposed that condition, even after Turner portrayed himself in his letter to the judge as an inexperienced drinker. "Coming from a small town in Ohio, I had never really experienced celebrating or partying that involved alcohol." He also wrote, "Living more than 2,000 miles from home, I looked to the guys on my swim team as family and tried to replicate their values in how they approached college life."

But according to prosecutor Alaleh Kiancerci's sentencing memo, texts and photos found on Turner's cell phone, which police seized, indicate that he used alcohol and drugs in high school, well before the January 2015 assault. Kiancerci pointed out the lies to the judge during the sentencing hearing, but Persky did not comment on Turner's dishonesty.

The cell phone material included: "Video depicting the Defendant smoking from a bong and drinking out of a bottle of liquor immediately after taking a 'bong hit,' which was captured on the Defendant's phone on December 27, 2014'' -- more than a month before he assaulted the young woman.
Advertisement

"On December 18, 2014, he sent a message to (a friend) that stated, 'Do you think I could buy some wax so we could do some dabs?' Dabs are a highly concentrated potent form of marijuana that is a THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) concentrated mass. They are most similar in appearance to either honey or butter, which is why it is referred to or known on the street as 'honey oil' or 'budder.' Dabs are an increasing problem on campus and with teens as an alternative way to ingest marijuana."

There were many references to smoking, buying, and sharing "weed" from as early as April 2014, when the Turner was in Ohio, throughout his short time at Stanford. "The text messages also referenced doing acid or trying to find a 'hook up' to purchase acid both in high school and while at Stanford. On December 24, 2014, someone sent a message to Turner stating, 'I've got a hankerin for a good acid trip when we get back. Turner responded, 'I'm down for sure.' On July 25, 2014, while still in Ohio, the Turner sent a text message to another friend saying, 'Oh dude I did acid with ... last week.' The friend then bragged about 'candyflippin' the prior week, which he explained was taking LSD and MDMA together. He responded, 'I gotta (expletive deleted) try that. I heard it's awesome.' "

Finally, there is a text message exchange between Turner and his sister from June 3, 2014. She asked him, "Did you rage last night?" He responded, "Yeah kind of. It was hard to find a place to drink. But when we finally did could only drink for like an hour and a half."

The judge received letters of support for Turner from more than a dozen people.

Calling for other options than prison, retired federal prosecutor Margaret M. Quinn in her letter blamed the incident on alcohol. "There is no doubt Brock made a mistake that night -- he made a mistake in drinking excessively to the point where he could not fully appreciate that his female acquaintance was so intoxicated. I know Brock did not go to that party intending to hurt, or entice, or overpower anyone."

Another acquaintance of the family, Dr. Dean Olsen, also vouched for Turner. Calling Turner a "mild-mannered, respectful, well adjusted young man who wishes no harm," the program director for Wright State University's aerospace medicine residency program expressed reservations about the value of prison.

"My greatest concern is that incarceration would damage a young man who I am quite certain is fragile, who, in my professional opinion, had and currently has no intent of harming anyone, and would result in a person who very likely ends up malignantly hardened toward society."

Brock should have gotten at least 6 years!