Author Topic: Land Rush in Texas Hill Country  (Read 6921 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Land Rush in Texas Hill Country
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2016, 01:51:54 am »
Yeah, for a bunch of damn Yankees Dallas probably seems like Montana.

I like the Hill Country, She Who Must Be Obeyed and I are considering moving down around Glen Rose somewhere. I gotta get away from the crush of the Metromess before I die, even if it means moving to Arkansas.

That's a joke, y'all.

Grew up in Austin in and did a lot in the Hill Country.  Nice to visit, but I would not live there.  I retired in East Texas, where one does not get that urban flair the day-trippers bring from Austin and DFW.  It stays pretty rural and the pies made locally are in all the small towns and delicious.

Water is the main issue.  It is increasingly a scarcer resource in the state, and the Hill Country(and most of the rest of Texas) just doesn't have much.  Exceptions are the Gulf Coast and East/North Texas, which gets a lot more rain and has many lakes and reservoirs.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline OldSaltUSN

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2016, 07:38:53 am »
Grew up in Austin in and did a lot in the Hill Country.  Nice to visit, but I would not live there.  I retired in East Texas, where one does not get that urban flair the day-trippers bring from Austin and DFW.  It stays pretty rural and the pies made locally are in all the small towns and delicious.

Water is the main issue.  It is increasingly a scarcer resource in the state, and the Hill Country(and most of the rest of Texas) just doesn't have much.  Exceptions are the Gulf Coast and East/North Texas, which gets a lot more rain and has many lakes and reservoirs.

LOVED east Texas, when we went through to Waco and Austin last year.  It's probably where I'd live in Texas.  Dallas is plains hot, Houston and San Antonio are humid-hot, and Austin is aspiring to be Berkeley.

Offline OldSaltUSN

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2016, 07:52:26 am »
That's what happened to Colorado too.  Used to be the only liberal bastion was Boulder.  But then the flock of wild geese migrated from Granolaland and have taken over that state.

My (very smart) cousin bailed out of California for a suburb just outside of Denver about 2005, ahead of the crash.  He was in Real Estate then, and is now also.  He's sold something in the neighborhood of 80 homes in two years.   He said he wouldn't even consider acting as a buyer's agent, at this point, because he knows buyers today are going to be underwater within a few years, i.e. the market is unrealistically hot in Denver.  He said that there's been a huge deluge of California Bay Area high tech residents flocking to Denver, if they can get their company's to transfer them there, due to one, single element.  Pot.  He said it's destroying Colorado.

But hey, he's making a bundle in the mean while.  Can't blame folks for doing business while the cycle is hot.  However, it's one reason I've been intentionally out of work and looking hard for property in Idaho.  EVERYTHING is overpriced.  By over priced, I mean that prices, both land and resources, as well as labor, is as high or higher than California pricing, and yet, people bring in their suitcases and throw the cash on the counter.   It can't continue, and I don't want to be underwater the day of the cash.  Trying to guarantee I stay cash positive, which means buying distressed property.   Unfortunately, locals (mostly contractors, but even a hair dresser I met the other day), have already been doing that for years, and there isn't a stick of property available at reasonable price.   If I have to pay $180 to $280 a sq foot for a house, I might as well head back to California.  You would simply not BELIEVE the price of a 1940's run down 1400 sq foot price in Coeur d'Alene.  You'd have to pay $170K to $220K for the shell, and then put in $150K into it to bring it back up to code and modern living, and the maximum monthly rental return would be something like $1300 to $1500 a month.  It just doesn't pencil out.  Yet, they're doing those deals every day of the week.

Well, I was looking for a new home when I hit this area, and I'm willing to take another trip and look again if I have to.  Montana, Wyoming, even Oklahoma isn't a bad place, really.  There's lots of "flyover" country out there that's beautiful ---- providing the progressives keep on flying by it and leaving us to hell alone.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2016, 01:20:54 pm »
Montana, Wyoming, even Oklahoma isn't a bad place, really.  There's lots of "flyover" country out there that's beautiful ---- providing the progressives keep on flying by it and leaving us to hell alone.

It's hard to find a good "ranch" in Wyoming or Montana too, but for just the opposite reasons.  They aren't selling to move somewhere else. Smart them.  If it wasn't for the winters, I'd move back to Wyoming too.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2016, 01:46:55 pm »
Dallas is plains hot, Houston and San Antonio are humid-hot, and Austin is aspiring to be Berkeley.

All true, although there are a lot of you old military guys settled in San Antonio, which I consider the best of the big cities of Texas.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington