Author Topic: Two Democrats will face off for California's U.S. Senate seat, marking first time a Republican will not be in contention  (Read 2239 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-senate-primary-election-20160607-snap-story.html

California voters made history on Tuesday in the race for the U.S. Senate, sending two Democrats to a November runoff and denying a Republican a spot on the fall ballot for the first time since the state’s first direct election of senators in 1914.

State Atty. Gen. Kamala Harris won the largest share of the vote and the title of winner in the primary. By the end of the night, Harris led Orange County Rep. Loretta Sanchez by more than 800,000 votes, a margin of 23 percentage points.

Under California’s relatively new top-two primary rules, the two Democratic women will square off on Nov. 8 – a contest that pits Harris’ strength as the party favorite against Sanchez’s potential appeal to Republicans, unaffiliated voters and Latinos.

“Our unity is our strength. Our diversity is our power,” Harris told a boisterous crowd at the Delancey Street Foundation clubhouse in San Francisco on election night. “We understand that we have so many challenges as a country and we are prepared to lead.”

The fact that no Republican could muster enough statewide support to advance to the general election could be a reflection of how an ever-shrinking GOP suffered when its voters were scattered among a large field of relatively unknown candidates.

“If there had been a particular candidate who had been the anointed one, they would have had a better chance at getting that second spot,” said Kimberly Nalder, a political science professor at Cal State Sacramento.

Members of the U.S. Senate were appointed by state legislatures until the early 20th century. Since that time, a Republican has always appeared on the general election ballot in California.

That streak ended on Tuesday night, the third election held under the rules of the top-two primary, in which voters choose a candidate regardless of political party.

Harris is pure evil. I would like to see Sanchez win, yet she will not. Oh for the record  I would never had thought I would want Sanchez to win anything. She is a full on loon. Follow her via John and Ken kfi640am.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-senate-primary-election-20160607-snap-story.html

Harris is pure evil. I would like to see Sanchez win, yet she will not. Oh for the record  I would never had thought I would want Sanchez to win anything. She is a full on loon. Follow her via John and Ken kfi640am.

I describe "Ken & John" as "common sense" guys, not partisan.

They can become nearly livid over illegal immigration, turn and mock the religious right.

Republicans now place 3rd in California party registration, after democrats and No Party Preference.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Pubbies in CA still run closed primaries...if not registered as a pubbie can't vote for 'em...

So they lose the "independent" vote...those that are sick of both parties but could still be of some "value" in the primaries. :shrug:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:08:58 pm by SZonian »
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

geronl

Offline Ginger Republic

• HRH Archduchess Tamar de Bruce the Red, Guardian of Nirvana
  • Formerly known as Tamar1973
Sanchez’s potential appeal to Republicans is limited to the fact that Harris is an Alinsky-ite liberal who walks in the footsteps of Obama. However, Sanchez might have another appeal. Right now both CA senators (Feinstein and Boxer) are from the San Francisco Bay area. If Sanchez wins, So. Cal would have a voice in the Senate.
2016 shows that most so-called conservatives & liberals want a tyrant, not a leader; Americans want a monarchy, not a republic.

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams

"Sometimes the only choices you have are bad ones but you still have to choose."The 12th Dr. Who

geronl

Is there an independent or anything running

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline Ginger Republic

• HRH Archduchess Tamar de Bruce the Red, Guardian of Nirvana
  • Formerly known as Tamar1973
Is there an independent or anything running

There were independents in the primary but only the top two vote getters from the primary will show up on the general election ballot.
2016 shows that most so-called conservatives & liberals want a tyrant, not a leader; Americans want a monarchy, not a republic.

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams

"Sometimes the only choices you have are bad ones but you still have to choose."The 12th Dr. Who

Offline skeeter

I love this state as much as anyone can.

But I utterly and completely despise the people running it. Including most of the brainstems who show up to vote every election, unfortunately.