Author Topic: Who is Gonzalo Curiel? The ‘Mexican’ judge denounced by Trump fought the drug cartels  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Who is Gonzalo Curiel? The ‘Mexican’ judge denounced by Trump fought the drug cartels

In the summer of 1997, U.S. marshals in San Diego picked up alarming intelligence: A convicted gunman for the Tijuana drug cartel was overheard saying he had put a “hit” on the federal prosecutor who had sent him to jail.
The claim, made to a fellow inmate turned government informant, was no idle threat, the marshals quickly concluded. After the jail cell was wired, the gunman repeated it, boasting he had gotten approval to assassinate the prosecutor by one of Mexico’s most powerful drug lords, Tijuana cartel chief Benjamin Arellano-Felix.
As a result of that threat, the prosecutor, Gonzalo Curiel, was placed under 24-hour protection by the marshals for a year. He was moved to a naval base, and later, for a while, to Justice Department headquarters in Washington. When he came back to work, so did the gun toting marshals, trailing him wherever he went.
“It was unsettling,” said Gregory Vega, Curiel’s oldest and best friend, who later became his boss as U.S. attorney in San Diego. “That threat was taken very seriously.”
But Vega says Curiel never wavered from his commitment to put Mexican drug traffickers behind bars. “He stayed focused on his job,” said Vega, who later promoted Curiel to chief of the U.S. attorney’s narcotics enforcement division, putting him in charge of all the office’s cases against the drug cartels.
The soft-spoken Curiel, now a federal judge in San Diego, has suddenly found himself in the public spotlight thanks to Donald Trump. In a startling 13-minute digression during a speech last week in San Diego, the presumptive Republican Party nominee tore into the judge, referring to him as a “Mexican” and a “hater” who showed bias against him because he has allowed fraud lawsuits against Trump University to proceed. “I’m getting railroaded by the legal system,” Trump said. “They ought to look into Judge Curiel.”
On Thursday, Trump doubled down on his attacks, telling the Wall Street Journal in an interview that Curiel had “an absolute conflict” in presiding over the Trump University cases because of his “Mexican heritage.”
“He’s a Mexican. We’re building a wall between here and Mexico,” he "http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/03/politics/donald-trump-tapper-lead/" to CNN’s Jake Tapper.

Curiel, for his part, has declined through a clerk to respond to Trump’s attacks; late Thursday, he refused to permit a court filing from an outside party alleging “contemptuous statements” — presumably by Trump — to become part of the official record in the Trump University cases.
But for Vega and other lawyers who have worked with Curiel or appeared before him, Trump’s comments were offensive and wildly off the mark. And they are certain nothing Trump says outside of court will affect the judge’s handling of the lawsuits.
“What’s so ironic is that Gonzalo gave so many years of his life to protecting America from drug traffickers,” said Vega. “He had a credible threat on his life. Do you really think being called [names] by Mr. Trump is going to frighten him? How silly.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/who-is-gonzalo-curiel-the-mexican-judge-denounced-by-trump-fought-the-drug-cartels-175229578.html
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Mechanicos

Hes La Raza. Taking out competitors. Pro Illegals Pro Mexico anti -wall
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

geronl

The mans race has nothing to do with Trump University.

Trump is trying to poison the well, and I believe that's illegal.

Offline Victoria33

Who is Gonzalo Curiel? The ‘Mexican’ judge denounced by Trump fought the drug cartels

I heard the judge's entire history on TV today - An American from birth, a man of honor and respect for our constitution and laws.  Trump is despicable.  If the judge is "Mexican", then I am English and my Bob is Polish even though we were born in this country.

Where did your ancestors come from - that is who you really are according to Trump.

Offline Chosen Daughter

The mans race has nothing to do with Trump University.

Trump is trying to poison the well, and I believe that's illegal.

Right it doesn't have anything to do with it.  When I read this:

had “an absolute conflict” in presiding over the Trump University cases because of his “Mexican heritage.”
“He’s a Mexican. We’re building a wall between here and Mexico,”

end quote.

I couldn't believe that he is so ignorant and believes we are too.  What kind of man thinks that he can be that openly racist and expect people not to take issue?  He wants to be president but he just said that Mexicans are a conflict.  They can't be allowed because Trump is building a wall.  One minute he loves Mexicans the next his true self is shining like that high powered flashlight.  He only thinks Mexicans are capable of cleaning bathrooms.  If your a judge,.....well nuff said.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline sinkspur

Dan Balz
‏@danbalz

McConnell tells @jaketapper he worries Trump could do to Latinos what Goldwater did to African Americans: fully alienate them from the GOP.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Chosen Daughter

He has already done that for me. I cannot stand with the GOP if they back a man of trump's character.

Makes the whole party look like a joke.  To support a guy that talks like a third grade bully.

HonestJohn

He has already done that for me. I cannot stand with the GOP if they back a man of trump's character.

Same.

What's worse is that he's put a chair out for the bigots of America, giving them an oversized voice in the 'conservative' party.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Same.

What's worse is that he's put a chair out for the bigots of America, giving them an oversized voice in the 'conservative' party.

Well at least their not pelting white women with eggs.

HonestJohn

Well at least their not pelting white women with eggs.

Just sucker-punching handcuffed protesters and telling Jewish ones to get back to Auschwitz... two of many such cases.

Just sucker-punching handcuffed protesters
According to Trump apologist Mechanicos that is what is called self defense.

and telling Jewish ones to get back to Auschwitz

The skinheads of America have no greater champion.

Who is Gonzalo Curiel? 
A rapist and a drug dealer.  Honesty is how Trump will win The Mexicans.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:42:47 am by Once-Ler »

Offline RedHead

Hes La Raza. Taking out competitors. Pro Illegals Pro Mexico anti -wall

But worst of all he's the man who is overseeing the trial against Sleazy Donald's rip-off university.  That's the one thing Trump Chumps can't stand.