Author Topic: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage  (Read 111001 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 06:35:59 pm »
This is my ethnicity estimate from Ancestry DNA:

REGIONAPPROXIMATE AMOUNT
Africa < 1%
Trace Regions < 1%
Africa North < 1%
Europe 99%
Great Britain 50%
Europe West 22%
Scandinavia 13%
Iberian Peninsula 6%
Trace Regions 8%
Ireland 5%
Italy/Greece 2%
Finland/Northwest Russia < 1%

Your Predicted Haplogroup is I-M170

From FTDNA
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:45:08 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 06:36:34 pm »

And then a couple of months ago learning from DNA that I am 4% "indigenous north American" as they said. The problem is we do not know who or where in the tree they are.

Maybe the biggest argument I have gotten into with distant cousins was that we had Cherokee ancestry and they diverted  that sect into Northern Arkansas on the way to OK on the Trail of Tears.  Then I got my Ancestry and FTDNA results:

Ancestry - 53% Great Britain  23% Ireland  18% Scandinavia  5% Iberian Peninsula  <1% Both Eastern and Western Europe   = 100% European
FTDNA- 45% British Isle 37% Western and Central Europe  11% Scandinavia 7% Finland = 100% European

Still the lady screams this stuff was voodoo.  Some people just don't want family history messed with.  In my case, the bigger shock for me, is that even though I have traced 95% of family at least into the 1700's, there are no Scandinavian surnames present.  Guess about 1 in 5 of my ancestors were plundering Vikings.

I think the discrepancy of the Central and Western Europe may be migration timing.  Not absolutely sure.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:40:08 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 06:40:18 pm »
Maybe the biggest argument I have gotten into with distant cousins was that we had Cherokee ancestry and they diverted  that sect into Northern Arkansas on the way to OK on the Trail of Tears.  Then I got my Ancestry and FTDNA results:

Ancestry - 53% Great Britain  23% Ireland  18% Scandinavia  5% Iberian Peninsula  <1% Both Eastern and Western Europe   = 100% European
FTDNA- 45% British Isle 37% Western and Central Europe  11% Scandinavia 7% Finland = 100% European

Still the lady screams this stuff was voodoo.  Some people just don't want family history messed with.  In my case, the bigger shock for me, is that even though I have traced 95% of family at least into the 1700's, there are no Scandinavian surnames present.  Guess about 1 in 5 of my ancestors were plundering Vikings.

I think the discrepancy of the Central and Western may be migration timing.  Not absolutely sure.

You don't have any from the Normandy region of France per chance? I have a couple of Hugoenot ancestors from there that ultimately trace back to Norway and Sweden.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 06:44:23 pm »
You don't have any from the Normandy region of France per chance? I have a couple of Hugoenot ancestors from there that ultimately trace back to Norway and Sweden.

You hit the nail on the head on the confusion of timing.  Were (Normans) these enumerated in Western Europe or in Scandinavia.  Still haven't figured that out.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 06:52:32 pm »
I think I might have mentioned earlier that with the "Big Y"  they have  the ability to drill down Haplogroups down to parsed hairs.   The problem is that they keep jacking with the nomenclature, and really tough to keep up with.  What our group admin told us is that this now got me to about the tribe level within the general Haplogroup R 10-15K years ago.  Probably a central european Gaelic tribe.  YAWN!!!!!

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 06:59:18 pm »
You hit the nail on the head on the confusion of timing.  Were (Normans) these enumerated in Western Europe or in Scandinavia.  Still haven't figured that out.

Hard to say, if I understand what you're asking. Would assume any genetic testing would be based off markers, and being that the Vikings did alot of conquest in that part of the world (British Isles, France, Germany, etc), that might explain things. But, you'd probably have to go back pretty far to get to the actual surnames.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2016, 07:03:41 pm »
Hard to say, if I understand what you're asking. Would assume any genetic testing would be based off markers, and being that the Vikings did alot of conquest in that part of the world (British Isles, France, Germany, etc), that might explain things. But, you'd probably have to go back pretty far to get to the actual surnames.

Luckily, with research 99.7% of my ancestry comes from British Isles...   One German (Penn Dutch) at great great great great great grandparent level. Of course both Ancestry and FTDNA do show that there are "ranges" involved with these estimates, so who knows.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2016, 07:10:09 pm »
Luckily, with research 99.7% of my ancestry comes from British Isles...   One German (Penn Dutch) at great great great great great grandparent level. Of course both Ancestry and FTDNA do show that there are "ranges" involved with these estimates, so who knows.

Our ancestors may have known each other.  :laugh: Mine came over with Wm. Penn, but was Scottish, Clan McGregor.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 07:14:22 pm »
Our ancestors may have known each other.  :laugh: Mine came over with Wm. Penn, but was Scottish, Clan McGregor.

Very likely.  My one non-anglo ancestor was Johannes Cassel born in 1639 in Germany, died in 1691 in Penns Colony, Germantown

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2016, 07:21:03 pm »
This is as far back as I have gotten so far:

John "The Vintner" Carter
1574–1630
BIRTH 1574 • Hertfordshire, England
DEATH 1630 • England and Newgate, London, England
10th great-grandfather

But there are still gaps that need to be filled in.

Good Job.   I've researched many online archived London and Irish (Dublin) records to no avail.  I just can't prove which boat my forefather came over on although I believe his family members may have visited the new world many times before my sect settled down in MD. 

I've found English Naval Captains, indentured servants, Kilkenny Irish Catholics fighting Cromwell, and later on family members in the Monmouth Rebellion, the Wild Geese, and Jacobite uprisings, etc.   When I first started researching, a local historian ask if my ancestors were Protestant or Catholic?  I did not know the answer then and I still don't know...

While searching once, I came upon the following sad story of a soldier's dog:

After the Battle of Aughrim, the bodies of the Irish were left where they fell, to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field. Among them was an Irish officer, who was killed and stripped in the battle. But his faithful dog discovered his remains and guarded the body day and night; and though he fed with other dogs on the slain around, yet he would not allow them, or any thing else, to touch the body of his master. When all the dead bodies were consumed, the other dogs departed; but this one used to go in the night to the adjacent villages for food, and presently return to the place where his master's bones only were then left.  Thus he continued from July, when the battle was fought, till January following, when one of Colonel Foulk's soldiers, who was quartered in the neighborhood, happening to go near the spot, the dog, fearing he came to disturb his master's bones, rushed upon the man, who unslung his musket on the instant, and shot the poor animal dead. He expired faithful as he had lived.

"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2016, 07:24:01 pm »
Catfish tip No. 1- One of my early mysteries when I started doing genealogy was a particular ancestor in Arkansas who seemed to be in a different county every 10 years for every census.  It took several years to find out that back in the 1800's county maps within the states were very very much in flux, versus how stable they are today.  What I was able to find, is that this ancestor actually didn't move an inch.......    The lines of the map did.

I have found a great website that allows you adjust the county maps by date for the entire history of the state, and even into the territory periods.

Great tool if this is a possible issue in your research.  Here is the site.

http://www.mapofus.org

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2016, 07:29:37 pm »
After the Battle of Aughrim, the bodies of the Irish were left where they fell, to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field. Among them was an Irish officer, who was killed and stripped in the battle. But his faithful dog discovered his remains and guarded the body day and night; and though he fed with other dogs on the slain around, yet he would not allow them, or any thing else, to touch the body of his master. When all the dead bodies were consumed, the other dogs departed; but this one used to go in the night to the adjacent villages for food, and presently return to the place where his master's bones only were then left.  Thus he continued from July, when the battle was fought, till January following, when one of Colonel Foulk's soldiers, who was quartered in the neighborhood, happening to go near the spot, the dog, fearing he came to disturb his master's bones, rushed upon the man, who unslung his musket on the instant, and shot the poor animal dead. He expired faithful as he had lived.

That is a truly GREAT story and I believe every word of it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2202509/Loyal-dog-ran-away-home-dead-masters-grave--stayed-years.html

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2016, 08:29:41 pm »
This is as far back as I have gotten so far:

John "The Vintner" Carter
1574–1630
BIRTH 1574 • Hertfordshire, England
DEATH 1630 • England and Newgate, London, England
10th great-grandfather

But there are still gaps that need to be filled in.

Newgate, my brother? That tends to mean one thing here - execution.  :tongue2:

I don't have much spare time, but ....

If someone gets really stuck on an ancestor in the the south of England (London/Kent/Sussex) and I have the time and feel like doing the driving, I'll do an eyeball check of parish records for you.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2016, 08:34:01 pm »

If someone gets really stuck on an ancestor in the the south of England (London/Kent/Sussex) and I have the time and feel like doing the driving, I'll do an eyeball check of parish records for you.

LOl! Not surprised!

That's a great offer!  I'll try to remember that you made it! 

Thanks!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2016, 08:45:02 pm »
I think I have had 7 direct line ancestors either executed, banished, or transported since 1300.  :tongue2:

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2016, 08:50:39 pm »
I think I have had 7 direct line ancestors either executed, banished, or transported since 1300.  :tongue2:

Aha! The picture is coming more into focus by the minute!  :laughingdog: :laughingdog: :laughingdog:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2016, 09:18:00 pm »

Just an FYI...my father & some of his siblings were born in London...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2016, 10:04:44 pm »
@Bigun, @catfish1957, thanks for posting this.  I've dipped my toes into genealogy, but needed some direction to go further.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2016, 10:16:01 pm »
@Bigun, @catfish1957, thanks for posting this.  I've dipped my toes into genealogy, but needed some direction to go further.

Ask away! We have some experts on board already.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2016, 02:17:02 pm »
Catfish Tips No. 2-  What the $%@$R$  is Soundex?

I have fielded a number of questions through the years of what, how, and why of Soundex in searching for ancestors.  First the what ...  In wikispeak it is defined as follows: Soundex is a phonetic algorithm for indexing names by sound, as pronounced in English.   As far as history, it was developed early in the 20th century, and one of its early applications was for indexing  census records.  This became a major WPA project, and became a great aid to government, especially in the post social security era, for finding and proving age in the pre-birth certificate era (i.e before 1914, but varies by state).  In the pre-computer era of genealogical research (including myself), pretty much everyone knew their ancestors surname soundex codes.   If you are curious, the second section of the wikipedia entry gives you the details and instructions of how to construct. 

Now some good news, almost all the major commercial and free databases for genealogical research have the algorithm built in for searches.  Not only for census records, but for pretty much any search.  Why is this important you may ask.  In our present day, precise spelling of our names is customary, and expected.  Back in older days, how the names were pronounced often held more importance than the spelling.  In fact, I have seen some of my 19th century ancestors sign their name with different spelling.  By using this algorithm in your searches, it will improve your ability to find appropriate matches.

Happing Hunting........
[/size][/size]

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2016, 03:23:03 pm »
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@EC

My paternal grandparents & 2 of their children came to England from Russian Poland bet. 1891-1893. I know neither exactly when they arrived nor how they traveled. At Ancestry's UK incoming passenger lists, I don't see them. Are there any other possible sources of which you're aware?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2016, 03:47:22 pm »
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@EC

My paternal grandparents & 2 of their children came to England from Russian Poland bet. 1891-1893. I know neither exactly when they arrived nor how they traveled. At Ancestry's UK incoming passenger lists, I don't see them. Are there any other possible sources of which you're aware?

Yes!

https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/Tips-for-finding-immigration-records-1460088565991-2214

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2016, 04:05:00 pm »
Ping to follow this thread.  Thanks for starting.

Been doing it off and on for 20 years.  Have a large family tree as both sides (maternal and paternal) trace back to 1600's in America.  Eaton's of MA/NH on paternal side. On maternal side, the Stone's, Clark's, and Lee's of VA and Vansciver's of NJ.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2016, 04:05:49 pm »
Yes!

https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/Tips-for-finding-immigration-records-1460088565991-2214

Don't think that'll work (unless I missed something). I already know when they arrived in the US (1908). I know that the last child born in Russian Poland was in 1891 & the first born in London was in 1893, but I don't have a date for their arrival in England. (if that can be found anywhere).

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2016, 04:13:40 pm »
Don't think that'll work (unless I missed something). I already know when they arrived in the US (1908). I know that the last child born in Russian Poland was in 1891 & the first born in London was in 1893, but I don't have a date for their arrival in England. (if that can be found anywhere).

I would think you would need to search the immigration records of England for that period. There is information at the link I posted for you as to how to do that.

- J. R. R. Tolkien