Author Topic: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage  (Read 112320 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage
« Reply #250 on: April 17, 2018, 08:26:21 pm »
So, @Elderberry, where do you go to get that type of DNA test?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #251 on: April 17, 2018, 08:52:00 pm »
So, @Elderberry, where do you go to get that type of DNA test?

Like most everything these days. Internet order. I used Family Tree DNA. They mailed me the swabs, which I mail back and they tested.

I am just absorbing what to do next.

I have been contacted by a couple of analysts already. My test results lists eight novel SNP mutations. Mutations that, to date, only I am known to have. Three of them,
though, are in unstable regions. That leaves these five:

19015229 C>G
22209369 T>C
21335389 C>T
19623117 G>C
10009145 A>C

And a DNA testing lab is creating a test for 3 of those unique DNA mutations.

I know two people that might take the test. Earlier tests have identified that they are a close Y-DNA match to me, through an ancestor back in the mid 1700s, or before.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2018, 09:05:24 pm »
I'm a member of Clan I-M170.  Haplogroup I represents one of the first peoples in Europe.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2018, 09:06:39 pm »
I'm a member of Clan I-M170.  Haplogroup I represents one of the first peoples in Europe.

Does the Ancestry.com test tell that?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #254 on: April 17, 2018, 09:14:00 pm »

No, but I found that on this site, it shows one how to get that information.

Updated Method to get YDNA haplogroup from AncestryDNA results

http://www.geneticgenealogist.net/2017/08/updated-method-to-get-ydna-haplogroup.html

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2018, 09:14:13 pm »

Nope! Family Tree DNA.   Did a Y test (follows father's line) only available to males since only they have Y chromosomes.  They have a mitochondrial test (follows mother's line) that anyone can take but I have never done that one because IMHO it is unreliable in that it often skips a few generations.

I'm not a geneticist by any means so I only know what I've been told by others.  Mainly a friend who taught genetics at SHSU for many years. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #256 on: April 17, 2018, 09:28:35 pm »
No, but I found that on this site, it shows one how to get that information.

Updated Method to get YDNA haplogroup from AncestryDNA results

http://www.geneticgenealogist.net/2017/08/updated-method-to-get-ydna-haplogroup.html

Thanks!  I'll let my brother know.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #257 on: April 17, 2018, 11:22:41 pm »
I'll let you know after I attend my first Clan-R-S6881 meeting.

FTDNA has driven down the genome so precisely, it is crazy.  After taking "Big Y" my(sub-sub-etc.)  haplogroup now has 3 people in it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #258 on: April 17, 2018, 11:36:21 pm »
FTDNA has driven down the genome so precisely, it is crazy.  After taking "Big Y" my(sub-sub-etc.)  haplogroup now has 3 people in it.

Mine is still crowded. I have 34.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #259 on: April 19, 2018, 10:28:55 pm »
DNA Day Sales!

by James Watson on April 19, 2018 in 23andme raw data, DNA and Ancestry

About DNA Day

DNA Day observed on the 25th of April every year commemorates the day the findings of the most probable structure of the DNA, were published. The structure was solved by James Watson and Francis Crick using the X-ray crystallography data provided by Rosalind Franklin and Maurice Wilkins in the year 1953. Co-incidentally, on the same day in 2003, the Human Genome Consortium announced that the Human Genome Project is near completion. Ancestry DNA coupon deal announcements are made every year by major genetic testing companies like 23andMe, Ancestry DNA, Family Tree DNA, Living DNA and My Heritage. This year Xcode Life has also joined the bandwagon.

DNA day was first celebrated on April 25th 2003. The day was declared a public holiday for that year alone in the USA, jointly by the Senate and the House of Representatives. Ever since, this day has been celebrated by researchers and non-research genetic enthusiasts alike. This year it will be the 65th anniversary of the historic publication in Nature.

Ancestry genetic testing companies like 23andMe, Ancestry DNA, Family Tree DNA, Living DNA, My Heritage celebrate DNA Day every year with attractive offers.

Ancestry DNA Coupons: What are the offers for this year?

COMPANY   OFFER   OFFER PERIOD

23andMe   Yet to announce   

Xcode Life   FREE Health report. Use coupon code: DNADAY2018   Coupon valid on 25th and 26th April

Living DNA   20% discount on DNA kit at 79 USD, 79 GBP   Sale ends on 25th April

My Heritage   $69 for autosomal DNA test kit   Sale ends on 25th April

Ancestry DNA   Yet to announce   

Family Tree DNA   Yet to announce

More: https://www.xcode.in/23andme-raw-data/ancestry-dna-coupons-sales

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #260 on: April 20, 2018, 07:54:03 pm »
Via Email:

Family Tree DNA     DNA Day Sale starts today      DNA DAY SALE ENDS: 04/28/18

Save up to 40% on our top selling DNA tests during our DNA Day Sale. See yourself through your DNA and bring your unique family history into focus.

https://www.familytreedna.com/sale/dna-day?utm_source=Family+Tree+DNA&utm_campaign=88d47da39f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_04_20&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b0f8841478-88d47da39f-200845925

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #261 on: April 30, 2018, 12:30:36 pm »
Golden State Killer caught using relative's DNA from genealogy websites, prosecutors say

Investigators in California were able to crack the case of the Golden State Killer using genealogical websites that featured genetic information from a relative, prosecutors said Thursday.

Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, was arrested Tuesday at his Citrus Heights home after a DNA sample matched that of the Golden State Killer — a mass murderer who's believed to be responsible for at least 12 murders, 45 rapes and 120 home burglaries through the state in the 1970s and 1980s. ... FOX News
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #262 on: April 30, 2018, 12:55:20 pm »
Golden State Killer caught using relative's DNA from genealogy websites, prosecutors say

Saw the news on this too last week.   Very very ambivalent on the issue.

One side of me likes it in that it can be used to take some really bad folks off the street.

Then there is another side that screams using my dna for what I did not intend is a serious breach of my privacy..

Anyone else want to weigh in?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:14:58 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #263 on: April 30, 2018, 04:44:07 pm »
My understanding is this guy was fingered because his daughter (?) used an "Open source" DNA website.  Once they found out who he was, they raided his trash to get a direct sample and nailed him.  Seems to me DNA profiles are ll over the place out there....
Don't spit (on the sidewalk), momma always said.... A cigarette butt, soda can/straw, etc. can provide enough sample. The average household trash would be a gold mine.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #264 on: April 30, 2018, 08:23:43 pm »

One side of me likes it in that it can be used to take some really bad folks off the street.

Then there is another side that screams using my dna for what I did not intend is a serious breach of my privacy..

Yeah, I don't know all of the particulars of this case, but it certainly should give any of us pause who have sent in DNA samples. I hate to sound paranoid, but doesn't it appear the gov't can get your DNA for whatever purpose it might want*, not just nabbing rapists.

*That's the point where I'm trying not to don the  :tinfoil:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #265 on: April 30, 2018, 08:42:10 pm »
The site in question, GEDmatch, does NOT sell DNA testing.

The user uploads their own DNA test results, from another company (Ancestry, Familytreedna, etc.)  to GEDmatch for specific purpses. Voluntarily.

I have uploaded my own DNA test results to GEDmatch.

From the GEDmatch.com site today:

"April 28, 2018 We now have facility to allow users to delete their registration/profile and associated DNA and GEDCOM resources. If you are interested in how to use this facility Click here to find more information.

April 27, 2018 To correct a BIG misunderstanding, we do not show any person's DNA on GEDmatch. We only show manipulations of data such as DNA matches

April 27, 2018 We understand that the GEDmatch database was used to help identify the Golden State Killer. Although we were not approached by law enforcement or anyone else about this case or about the DNA, it has always been GEDmatch�s policy to inform users that the database could be used for other uses, as set forth in the Site Policy ( linked to the login page and https://www.gedmatch.com/policy.php). While the database was created for genealogical research, it is important that GEDmatch participants understand the possible uses of their DNA, including identification of relatives that have committed crimes or were victims of crimes. If you are concerned about non-genealogical uses of your DNA, you should not upload your DNA to the database and/or you should remove DNA that has already been uploaded."

----------------------------------------------
As a long time genealogy enthusiast, and more recently DNA too, I come down in favor of the families of crime victims, the public at large, LEOs, versus the privacy of the murderers and their families.

Stated differently, serial killers should prevent their relatives from taking any DNA testing.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #266 on: April 30, 2018, 09:18:27 pm »

Amen!

Seems in the fascination with 'Look, This is BRAND NEW! I Must Submit to having my freakin' DNA Investigated.' we've forgotten about Police Evidence Room scandals, Cops who lie on the stand and our own Govt's proven propensity to punish people (Duly Elected Presidents) who haven't committed any crime because certain Govt scoundrels believe those people Deserve to be punished.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline musiclady

« Reply #267 on: April 30, 2018, 09:19:46 pm »
Yeah, I don't know all of the particulars of this case, but it certainly should give any of us pause who have sent in DNA samples. I hate to sound paranoid, but doesn't it appear the gov't can get your DNA for whatever purpose it might want*, not just nabbing rapists.

*That's the point where I'm trying not to don the  :tinfoil:

Maybe not so tinfoil.

I sent my Scandinavian DNA in to Ancestry.com.

I think maybe I should keep my nose clean.  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #268 on: April 30, 2018, 09:21:51 pm »
Maybe not so tinfoil.

I sent my Scandinavian DNA in to Ancestry.com.

I think maybe I should keep my nose clean.  ^-^

You're a musician.

That qualifies you as a subversive, a Counter Revolutionary, A Reactionary, in some circles. :seeya:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:22:36 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline musiclady

« Reply #269 on: April 30, 2018, 09:25:59 pm »
You're a musician.

That qualifies you as a subversive, a Counter Revolutionary, A Reactionary, in some circles. :seeya:

You got me!

I am ALL of the above.

(Hopefully, I'm too old to be of concern to the authorities.  :dx1:)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #270 on: May 01, 2018, 02:09:14 am »

Well, they kicked me outta Clan-R-S6881 and sent me down to Clan-R-BY50276. There's only one other joker beside myself in the Clan.

I guess that makes me Vice-Pres. I hope I don't have to sweep up after the Clan meetings.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #271 on: May 02, 2018, 03:16:34 pm »
More on how the cops caught a killer with DNA from a family member:
... The main commerical companies all claim that they will not surrender their clients' DNA test results to the police without a proper warrant. So should regular citizens be concerned about how the cops used DNA here?

In this case, probably not. The police reportedly drew on the open-source GEDmatch service, which does not test DNA but allows users searching for relatives to them to upload the results of such tests from other companies. Apparently, a relative or two of DeAngelo had submitted test results to GEDmatch. This familial genetic link led the police to suspect DeAngelo. The police directly connected DeAngelo to the murders and rapes by matching old crime scene DNA to his obtained from some item(s) he had recently discarded in public.  ...
The Golden State Killer and Your Genetic Privacy

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #272 on: May 15, 2018, 01:41:27 am »
World Families Network, Ysearch and Mitosearch Bite the Dust – Thanks So Much GDPR

https://dna-explained.com/2018/05/14/world-families-network-ysearch-and-mitosearch-bite-the-dust-thanks-so-much-gdpr/

It’s a sad month.

The core foundation of genetic genealogy is sharing.

GDPR is NOT about sharing easily, and the GDPR hoops are onerous, to be charitable. I wrote about GDPR in the articles GDPR – It’s a Train and It’s a Comin’ and Common Sense and GDPR.

One might say GDPR is at cross purposes with genealogy. It probably wasn’t intended that way, but so far, we’ve lost several resources due to GDPR, and it’s still not here yet.

Add to the death list World Families Network, Ysearch and Mitosearch.

The cost of GDPR compliance, necessary attorney fees along with with the risk of the horrific fines of up to 4 million Euro is just too much for a small business or a non-profit. Additionally, non-EU businesses are required to retain a European Representative company that agrees to absorb some level of the risk for non-compliance. Try finding a company to do that. Not to mention the pain-in-the-butt-factor of the hoops that they would have to jump through if so much as one person complained. Bottom line – not worth it.

Thanks so much GDPR.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #273 on: May 15, 2018, 03:07:07 pm »
My sister and gave me a gift certificate for 23andme for Mother's Day.

I really don't want to use it. Sure, she showed me her print out for her bio family. I still think it's opening a can of worms I don't want to open.

This was for their deluxe package.

Anyone here familiar with this company?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #274 on: May 17, 2018, 03:11:19 pm »
My sister and gave me a gift certificate for 23andme for Mother's Day.

I really don't want to use it. Sure, she showed me her print out for her bio family. I still think it's opening a can of worms I don't want to open.

This was for their deluxe package.

Anyone here familiar with this company?

@Freya

This might be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3EEmVfbKNs

(Disclaimer: I'm a HUGE fan of Destin and his Smarter Every Day.)

DNA Testing and Privacy (Behind the scenes at the 23andMe Lab) - Smarter Every Day 176
! No longer available
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:17:26 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn