Author Topic: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage  (Read 111015 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2018, 07:20:07 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2018, 06:56:19 pm »
@Slip18 and anyone else who might be interested.

FTDNA is having a St. Patrick's day special.  Family finder kit for $59.00.

https://www.familytreedna.com/products/family-finder?utm_source=Family+Tree+DNA&utm_campaign=15231ca12b-st_paddy_sale_noff&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b0f8841478-15231ca12b-110538557

Okie-dokie.  Thanks for the info!  Wow, that is a deal!
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #227 on: March 16, 2018, 09:15:55 pm »
@Bigun
That was pretty confusing for me in there.  I am not ready for all the relatives yet.  I am going to get my DNA done by them.  It will be interesting to see if Ancestry's is different.

I have so many relatives on my mom's side.  Every family in the early 1900s had ten kids or more.  Amazing feat unto itself, I would say.  LOL!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #228 on: March 16, 2018, 09:27:32 pm »
@Bigun
That was pretty confusing for me in there.  I am not ready for all the relatives yet.  I am going to get my DNA done by them.  It will be interesting to see if Ancestry's is different.

I have so many relatives on my mom's side.  Every family in the early 1900s had ten kids or more.  Amazing feat unto itself, I would say.  LOL!

@Slip18

LOL!  I hear ya! 

BTW, the deal ends Sunday.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #229 on: March 16, 2018, 09:48:33 pm »
@Slip18

LOL!  I hear ya! 

BTW, the deal ends Sunday.

I checked everything out today.  I just may get both done.  Bank needs a little more breaking.  LOL!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #230 on: March 29, 2018, 02:54:31 am »
On my phone.

Up to 40 percent of DNA results from consumer genetic tests might be bogus
https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/610688/up-to-40-of-results-from-consumer-dna-tests-might-be-bogus/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #231 on: March 29, 2018, 03:08:39 am »
bookmark

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #232 on: March 29, 2018, 03:26:56 am »
On my phone.

Up to 40 percent of DNA results from consumer genetic tests might be bogus
https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/610688/up-to-40-of-results-from-consumer-dna-tests-might-be-bogus/

@Suppressed

I think I remember addressing this, at least to some degree, a few weeks ago here.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #233 on: March 29, 2018, 03:39:07 am »
@Suppressed

I think I remember addressing this, at least to some degree, a few weeks ago here.

@Bigun, this study was just published this past week: https://www.nature.com/articles/gim201838  I think it's more support for caution.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #234 on: March 29, 2018, 03:41:16 am »
@Bigun

Might be a savvy business move.

When the Dems take over again they'll find some way to make it a criminal offense to hire white people until every POC is offered the job first.

Be good insurance to have a non white ancestor or two on paper.

Look at what the inheritors of the Nelson Mandela Legacy in South Africa just pulled.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #235 on: March 29, 2018, 04:07:59 am »
I did the Family Matches test from Family Tree. They show over 4000 matches for me. I have been contacted three times about possible family connections. The first, he turned out to be my third Cousin via a 3rd Great Grandfather born 1803.  The Second, it appears we are connected via a 3rd Great Grandfather born 1769. The Third, it looks liked we are connected via a 4th Great Grandfather, born 1736. Oh, and it also said I was matched with my son who had his DNA tested before me.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #236 on: March 29, 2018, 04:23:35 am »
My sister and I have done three tests by three companies.

All of them confirmed paper family tree pedigrees, as well as relative matches.

It is a very new science, but I have no reason to challenge the "truthfulness" of the results.

Interpreting results, with origin estimates, is different. Before making a lot from origins, dig in and understand the method, what it is etc.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #237 on: March 29, 2018, 08:41:55 am »
I did the Family Matches test from Family Tree. They show over 4000 matches for me. I have been contacted three times about possible family connections. The first, he turned out to be my third Cousin via a 3rd Great Grandfather born 1803.  The Second, it appears we are connected via a 3rd Great Grandfather born 1769. The Third, it looks liked we are connected via a 4th Great Grandfather, born 1736. Oh, and it also said I was matched with my son who had his DNA tested before me.

Same here. I have been able to verify 3 or 4 line extensions (and brick walls) due to dna matching.  Yeah, there may be some false positives, and I tag those accordingly.  OTOH..   to discredit the whole process due to the that "few" is stretch.  Flinging darts is no substitute for using good collaborative triangulative deductive technique.   
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #238 on: March 29, 2018, 01:31:59 pm »
My sister and I have done three tests by three companies.

All of them confirmed paper family tree pedigrees, as well as relative matches.

It is a very new science, but I have no reason to challenge the "truthfulness" of the results.

Interpreting results, with origin estimates, is different. Before making a lot from origins, dig in and understand the method, what it is etc.

@truth_seeker 

That has been my experience as well.  I used Family Tree, My Heritage, and Ancestry.  and they all agree right down the line. Confirmed what we had on paper long ago.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #239 on: March 29, 2018, 01:48:30 pm »
@truth_seeker 

That has been my experience as well.  I used Family Tree, My Heritage, and Ancestry.  and they all agree right down the line. Confirmed what we had on paper long ago.

My descent numbers were pretty close too.  In fact, if users read the fine print, cpmpanies state that there are ranges involved    They are also are very up front to state these are approximations.   Why some Briefers want to sling mud at what has become a good genealogical tool is beyond me.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #240 on: March 29, 2018, 01:53:14 pm »
My descent numbers were pretty close too.  In fact, if users read the fine print, cpmpanies state that there are ranges involved    They are also are very up front to state these are approximations.   Why some Briefers want to sling mud at what has become a good genealogical tool is beyond me.

@catfish1957

My only criticism has been toward the fact that SOME of the people who sell these services - 23 & Me for one example - are somewhat less than careful about how they handle individual DNA samples and thus allow mixing to occur.  Or, at least, such has been recently reported.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #241 on: March 30, 2018, 03:19:06 am »
I have decided I have descended from cats.

Seriously though still on the fence about finding my ancestors so for now I want to be descended from cats.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mountaineer

« Reply #242 on: April 07, 2018, 11:31:14 pm »
Having found an ancestor from the Alsace region, Mr. M and I are planning a trip to see the family's hometown. I came across an interesting account of their voyage to America in 1733. Here's a snippet:
The eleven families (62 individuals) from the Mattstall area ... had about twenty miles to go to reach the Rhine river. Here they got on a boat going to Rotterdam, Holland—about 350 miles. They left Mattstall about the end of April. Rotterdam would be reached by the middle of May.

The first task was to locate the ship SAMUEL and its master. Hugh Percy. They checked in and stored their luggage in the hold. They bought butter, cheese, and smoked fish. The 291 passengers set sail for Deal, England, near Dover. Here they took on more provisions and crewmembers.

The ship was about 140 x 30 x 15. Sleeping quarters were below deck—for families, for single men, for single women. Each person had a space about 6 x 2 feet, with 5 feet for headroom. There was little privacy. The crewmembers had their own quarters. There was a cabin for the captain. He had promised to supply water, flour, some dried meat and peas, as well as cheese. It took a lot of food to feed 291 people plus crew for three months. On the voyage there would be births, deaths, and illnesses. Likely Christina Ensminger and Ursula Haller were among the children who died.

The trip was hardest on the very young. There was no milk or fruit or green vegetables. It was hard for the old folks, too. ...

Daily prayers were held, with church services on Sundays. The men walked on deck. The women cooked and cleaned and tried to keep the little ones from falling overboard. The older children were a great help. The old told stories to the young. Soon they were out on the broad Atlantic. The captain said the 4000-mile trip to Philadelphia would take about three months, if the winds were favorable. The ship would go south about 1000 miles to the Canaries, then pick up trade winds to carry it across the Atlantic.

Wind and rainstorms made the going rough. The families took turns cooking on the iron grates. At night the cries of the young, the moans of the ill, the groans of the old could be heard. When the wind roared, the boat creaked, the waves splashed. Then one day land was sighted – America – green fields and houses.

Friday morning, August 17th, the ship anchored at Philadelphia. This was the first of seven ships to arrive in 1733. The captain turned in his list of 90 names—men over 16. The men had to go to the courthouse and take the oath of allegiance and the oath of abjuration—denying the right of a Pretender.
White privilege, baby!

Seriously, we're getting excited about the prospect of visiting Mattstall!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #243 on: April 07, 2018, 11:54:40 pm »
@mountaineer

Fantastic!   Hope you have a GREAT TIME!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #244 on: April 08, 2018, 12:12:34 am »
Thanks, Bigun. We probably won't go until next year, though, so there's lots of time to do more research and planning.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #245 on: April 17, 2018, 07:22:33 pm »
After taking my Family Finder autosomal DNA test, I saw they had more and more and more tests. So I took a Y-DNA test and it came back that I belonged to this Clan, R-M269. But then I saw that they only predicted I belonged. I thought it must be like the gang bangers that roam the neighborhood. What kinda test was I to go through to prove I belong in their Clan? Then I discovered it was kinda like extortion. It was called another  kinda test though. So I thought, why not? I've not been much of a joiner. Joined the NAVY. Joined the NRA. Joined this fine place. So why not join a Clan? So I paid the extortion money and waited patiently for my Clan acceptance. I got my results a couple days ago. And Clan R-M269 kicked me out! They threw me out and down to a Lower Class Clan called R-S6881. I was told though that they accepted me and I didn't have to prove I belonged. I'll have to find out where the Clan meetings are. That Clan name, R-S6881 sure don't roll off your tongue worth a damn.

They sure don't name Clans like they did in the ole days.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2018, 08:02:57 pm »
After taking my Family Finder autosomal DNA test, I saw they had more and more and more tests. So I took a Y-DNA test and it came back that I belonged to this Clan, R-M269. But then I saw that they only predicted I belonged. I thought it must be like the gang bangers that roam the neighborhood. What kinda test was I to go through to prove I belong in their Clan? Then I discovered it was kinda like extortion. It was called another  kinda test though. So I thought, why not? I've not been much of a joiner. Joined the NAVY. Joined the NRA. Joined this fine place. So why not join a Clan? So I paid the extortion money and waited patiently for my Clan acceptance. I got my results a couple days ago. And Clan R-M269 kicked me out! They threw me out and down to a Lower Class Clan called R-S6881. I was told though that they accepted me and I didn't have to prove I belonged. I'll have to find out where the Clan meetings are. That Clan name, R-S6881 sure don't roll off your tongue worth a damn.

They sure don't name Clans like they did in the ole days.

I hope there's more explanation on that....

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2018, 08:13:28 pm »
I hope there's more explanation on that....

I'll let you know after I attend my first Clan-R-S6881 meeting.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2018, 08:18:43 pm »
I'll let you know after I attend my first Clan-R-S6881 meeting.

LOL.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2018, 08:23:50 pm »
AllI know so far is some history:

S6881 seems to have more of a concentration in the British Isles, but its parent FGC11780 doesn't have the same bias. So we can say that the migration to Great Britain happened after S6881 formed (184 AD — 1082 AD).

A11376 and A11377 seem to have a distinct location in western central England, and probably both arose there sometime in the period 629 AD — 1336 AD.

So we're maybe looking at a migration of this group from Germany or nearby to the west of England at some point around the "Anglo-Saxon" or Norman migrations.