Author Topic: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage  (Read 112489 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2017, 01:50:23 am »
Living DNA includes all tests, for $99. Y-DNA, mt-DNA, Autosomal

It is a UK based company, but labs and facilities in America too.

https://www.livingdna.com/en-us

They claim to provide the finest granularity (detailed breakdown) for European regional origins.

Most others around $50-80 are only Autosomal.

An interesting resource for dna and genealogy

https://www.eupedia.com/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:13:51 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2017, 02:00:47 am »
I'm seriously thinking of doing an dna test..

If you're ever going to do it now is the time!  Some GREAT deals going right now!  https://www.familytreedna.com/products
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline skeeter

« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2017, 11:36:15 pm »
@Bigun
Thoughts?
http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2522-inside-shady-world-dna-testing-companies.html

I used both 23&me and MyHeritage's DNA testing service. In addition to all the stuff I already knew I found out I'm either a bit A) Central American or B) South Asian. And a little Neanderthal.

Left me with more questions than answers, really.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2017, 11:38:23 pm »
@Bigun
Thoughts?
http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2522-inside-shady-world-dna-testing-companies.html

Do yur own research and select from well known reputable firms. Look at their output formats, first.

They give differing degrees of regional and ethnic "granularity," or detail.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2017, 12:46:43 am »
@Bigun
Thoughts?

@Suppressed

This is one of the BIG reasons I only recommend Family Tree DNA. https://www.familytreedna.com/  They are relatively local to me (In Houston) and have the best reputation in the business or so I'm told by the geneticists I'm personally acquainted with one of whom taught genetics at our local University for many years.   

I've also been told by experts that some of the other firms have been known to employ people  not qualified to do the testing properly.

The big problems of late have all been with European firms and involve people didling with results for obvious political reasons. They got caught so someone is obviously watching even there.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2017, 01:04:50 am »
@Suppressed

This is one of the BIG reasons I only recommend Family Tree DNA. https://www.familytreedna.com/  They are relatively local to me (In Houston) and have the best reputation in the business or so I'm told by the geneticists I'm personally acquainted with one of whom taught genetics at our local University for many years.   

I've also been told by experts that some of the other firms have been known to employ people  not qualified to do the testing properly.

The big problems of late have all been with European firms and involve people didling with results for obvious political reasons. They got caught so someone is obviously watching even there.

They are the best technically, but their on-line tools for finding matches sucks.   I use both FTDNA and Ancestry.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:05:15 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2017, 01:07:18 am »
They are the best technically, but their on-line tools for finding matches sucks.   I use both FTDNA and Ancestry.

So do I and GEDmatch.com as well.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2017, 05:41:49 pm »
If anyone is interested in personal Genealogy Software, the best there is (Roots Magic) is running a GREAT Holiday special right now!

http://www.rootsmagic.com/holidayoffer/?mc_cid=d749bca75a&mc_eid=2f25b9b5ee

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2017, 08:49:00 pm »
I got my Ancestry.com DNA results. No "native American" at all, despite family lore that my great-great-great-great grandpa's wife was of that ethnicity. So that's something I have in common with Sen. Lizzy Warren, anyway. We're both white bread.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2017, 10:22:41 pm »
I got my Ancestry.com DNA results. No "native American" at all, despite family lore that my great-great-great-great grandpa's wife was of that ethnicity. So that's something I have in common with Sen. Lizzy Warren, anyway. We're both white bread.  :pondering:

So I have to stop calling you Pocahontas, then??

(How about Sacajawea?.............. she was really cool!)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2017, 11:56:29 pm »
Yeah, me heap disappointed.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2017, 01:31:52 am »
Yeah, me heap disappointed.

You left out "kimo sabe"  ^-^

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2017, 03:00:07 am »
Huh.

Offline musiclady

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2017, 04:13:33 am »
If anyone is interested in personal Genealogy Software, the best there is (Roots Magic) is running a GREAT Holiday special right now!

http://www.rootsmagic.com/holidayoffer/?mc_cid=d749bca75a&mc_eid=2f25b9b5ee

Why do you say they're the best, @Bigun?

I used to use Legacy because it had great source tracking, then Family Tree Maker for output.  I'm wondering whether I'd like this one better.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 04:14:29 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2017, 03:45:02 pm »
Why do you say they're the best, @Bigun?

I used to use Legacy because it had great source tracking, then Family Tree Maker for output.  I'm wondering whether I'd like this one better.

@Suppressed

I like the way RootsMagic interfaces with Ancestry and Family search. Very useful in helping to keep up databases in multiple locations and for doing research.

Their holiday offer ends Jan. 2nd. You can get $90 dollars worth of their software for $25 right now.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:45:39 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2017, 03:53:12 pm »
I grew up in the New Orleans sewers. My mother was an alligator, and my father was a possum. I grew up the hard way. You know, like all possum/alligator people grow up. I learned to survive.

Man, this crawdaddy, he was so close and so good to eat. I couldn't grab him in enough time. I tried! I grabbed him! The sewer wash just took him away. My daddy never forgave me for that. I will take it to my grave.

Never go to the family reunions. Not concerned with who eats whom. Not my problem. Anymore.....

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2017, 07:40:41 pm »
I grew up in the New Orleans sewers. My mother was an alligator, and my father was a possum. I grew up the hard way. You know, like all possum/alligator people grow up. I learned to survive.

Man, this crawdaddy, he was so close and so good to eat. I couldn't grab him in enough time. I tried! I grabbed him! The sewer wash just took him away. My daddy never forgave me for that. I will take it to my grave.

Never go to the family reunions. Not concerned with who eats whom. Not my problem. Anymore.....

That explains a lot.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2017, 08:21:28 pm »
That explains a lot.
@240B

I know, right?

Another damned vegan on a rutabaga high.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline endicom

« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2018, 10:40:06 pm »
How DNA Testing Botched My Family's Heritage, and Probably Yours, Too

Gizmodo
Kristen V. Brown
Jan. 16, 2018

My grandfather was caramel-skinned with black eyes and thick, dark hair, and until he discovered that he was adopted, he had no reason to suspect that he was not the son of two poor Mexicans as he’d always been told. When he found his adoption papers, according to family lore, he pestered the nuns at the Dallas orphanage where he had lived as an infant for the name of his birth mother. Name in hand, at 10 years old, he hopped a bus to Pennsylvania, met his birth mother, and found out that he was actually Syrian.

At least that’s what we thought until my Aunt Cat mailed a tube of her spit in to AncestryDNA.

More... https://gizmodo.com/how-dna-testing-botched-my-familys-heritage-and-probab-1820932637

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2018, 02:16:53 pm »
How DNA Testing Botched My Family's Heritage, and Probably Yours, Too

Gizmodo
Kristen V. Brown
Jan. 16, 2018

My grandfather was caramel-skinned with black eyes and thick, dark hair, and until he discovered that he was adopted, he had no reason to suspect that he was not the son of two poor Mexicans as he’d always been told. When he found his adoption papers, according to family lore, he pestered the nuns at the Dallas orphanage where he had lived as an infant for the name of his birth mother. Name in hand, at 10 years old, he hopped a bus to Pennsylvania, met his birth mother, and found out that he was actually Syrian.

At least that’s what we thought until my Aunt Cat mailed a tube of her spit in to AncestryDNA.

More... https://gizmodo.com/how-dna-testing-botched-my-familys-heritage-and-probab-1820932637

Thanks for posting this @endicom

As someone who is adopted and knows next to nothing about bio parents, I've been thinking about this a lot since my dad died. But I've come to the conclusion it would be sort of like oedipus. It's better not to know.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2018, 02:30:06 pm »

As someone who is adopted and knows next to nothing about bio parents, I've been thinking about this a lot since my dad died. But I've come to the conclusion it would be sort of like oedipus. It's better not to know.

I agree with your line of thinking @Freya.  Why would you go looking for some now dead person who never played any part in your life at all?  I know there are many who do not see it that way and want to know what their actual bloodlines are. My wife for example. 

I got DNA testing done to clear up some controversy as to the actual line of decent on my father's side and that worked well for me.  I've told my wife's story elsewhere on this thread already so I won't repeat it here except to say that she would NEVER have known who her biological father was without DNA testing.  If you ever do decide to do that, the absolute best company to go with is http://www.familytreedna.com their integrity is above reproach.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:56:55 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2018, 02:41:42 pm »
Thanks for posting this @endicom   As someone who is adopted and knows next to nothing about bio parents, I've been thinking about this a lot since my dad died. But I've come to the conclusion it would be sort of like oedipus. It's better not to know.
@Freya

I have been meaning to do this DNA thingy.  My great grandfather, according to family, married an Indian woman from a tribe forced to go to Oklahoma - The Trail of Tears saga.  The tribe stopped in Arkansas before moving on to Oklahoma.  Great grandfather lived in Arkansas.  Some kids of that issue went to Oklahoma to live.  My God, what if I am really a fake Pocahontas?  The first members of my family on both sides to come to America, came from England and were in North and South Carolina.  Some of them, Methodist preachers, went to Arkansas and started Methodist churches.

Offline endicom

« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2018, 02:42:41 pm »

IMO, you can't know, other than for some vague information about the bio-parents. Hell, what you know of your de facto parents can be no more than vague.