Author Topic: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage  (Read 112398 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2017, 09:06:23 pm »
Well, I finally solved the last riddle of my family. My ancestors came from Wales and if I read the records right I have some Welsh royalty ancestors (way before England conquered Wales).

How cool is that!!!

Do we have to call you "Your Highness" now??  :laugh:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2017, 09:39:48 pm »
My friend just told me that her mother, who had been adopted, just got a DNA match and has possibly found her father.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2017, 10:18:07 pm »
My friend just told me that her mother, who had been adopted, just got a DNA match and has possibly found her father.

Excellent!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2017, 10:54:50 am »
About 20 years ago, in the early days of this hobby for me, research was done via books, micro-film, micro-fiche, and CD's.
That's how my husband researched his family history about 25-30 years ago: census records, immigration papers, going to the county clerk's office for marriage records, etc. The internet may make it easier, but you're right about the possibility of inaccuracy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2017, 05:14:51 pm »
My sister tested DNA with Ancestry DNA, and got a contact with a woman living in White Horse, Yukon Territory.

She is near 70 yrs. of age, and was adopted. Her adoption records were sealed until recently. She is being assisted by her daughter, who lives in Grand Prairie Alberta.

Anyway I helped, as the family genealogist using old paper historic records etc. It turns out the daughter and I, working from both ends connected her to us, by our Swedish immigrant ancestors in Minnesota dating to the 1850s.

They migrated and branched out, and OMG somebody had a moral shortcoming in Winnepeg, Manitoba.

A major guru of her family line is an olde guy like me in Richardson TX, btw.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/07/10/books-thread-lindstrom-karl-oskar

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2017, 05:23:18 pm »
My genealogy is limited to Sweden and the British Isles. Therefore I just ordered the test kit, from the British firm named "Living DNA."

I selected them, since they claim to have the most detailed breakdown of the British and Ireland.

I also selected them because they have a sale for just $99.00+$9.95 shipping to give all three mains tests.

Y-DNA (male line)
Mt-DNA (female line)
Autosomal DNA (ancestral breakdown)

I previously wasted money on a deceptive advertisement for AncestryByDNA that gave only a "Europe" result for locations. Groupon facilitated their ripoff. Buyer beware, with Groupon.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2017, 05:27:24 pm »
My genealogy is limited to Sweden and the British Isles. Therefore I just ordered the test kit, from the British firm named "Living DNA."

I selected them, since they claim to have the most detailed breakdown of the British and Ireland.

I also selected them because they have a sale for just $99.00+$9.95 shipping to give all three mains tests.

Y-DNA (male line)
Mt-DNA (female line)
Autosomal DNA (ancestral breakdown)

I previously wasted money on a deceptive advertisement for AncestryByDNA that gave only a "Europe" result for locations. Groupon facilitated their ripoff. Buyer beware, with Groupon.

That is a GREAT deal!  One I would take advantage of myself if I hadn't already paid for separate autosomal and Y- test and wasn't 100% certain of my mother's line.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2017, 05:48:01 pm »
I'm afraid to do this kind of thing because we had a different mailman when I was born.
Countdown to Resignation

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2017, 05:54:19 pm »
I'm afraid to do this kind of thing because we had a different mailman when I was born.

My wife did it and found out that the man's name on her birth certificate in the Father's name box was a total falsehood!   So your fear is very legit!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2017, 06:22:01 pm »
Serious genealogy is not for the faint of heart.

I have learned of my blood connection to scoundrels, outlaws and pious cruel Puritan preachers.

But mostly great people. The kind that took risks, like one guy named Washington George Matthes, who went to California via Cape Horn during the Gold Rush, failed to get rich, and ambled back to New England--before heading West again to Minnesota soon thereafter.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2017, 11:28:56 am »
I bit the bullet and bought a DNA kit at Walgreens for $39.99

It's totally thrills free, just maternal and paternal no other generations but considering I'm adopted and know nothing other than "European" this might be of interest.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2017, 12:52:10 pm »
Serious genealogy is not for the faint of heart.

I have learned of my blood connection to scoundrels, outlaws and pious cruel Puritan preachers.

But mostly great people. The kind that took risks, like one guy named Washington George Matthes, who went to California via Cape Horn during the Gold Rush, failed to get rich, and ambled back to New England--before heading West again to Minnesota soon thereafter.

I teach genealogy classes, and volunteer at our library, helping patrons find their ancestry through the tools and resources that we have.   

I have had close to 10 patrons get downright angry at me for what was found.  Some include

(1) The topic of race,
(2) Adoption or other census facts showing that an ancestor was not a birth parent
(3) Occupation did not match famiy lore.
(4) Origin

I've help find three their birth parents, though I am very hesitant  due to possible implications there.

But it is all worthwhile when the joy provided to 100's who have found their roots.  Those tears are worth more than gold.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2017, 12:55:45 pm »
I bit the bullet and bought a DNA kit at Walgreens for $39.99

It's totally thrills free, just maternal and paternal no other generations but considering I'm adopted and know nothing other than "European" this might be of interest.

@Freya

Good for you Freya!  It may well provide more information than you currently imagine!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 01:02:26 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2017, 01:01:39 pm »
I teach genealogy classes, and volunteer at our library, helping patrons find their ancestry through the tools and resources that we have.   

I have had close to 10 patrons get downright angry at me for what was found.  Some include

(1) The topic of race,
(2) Adoption or other census facts showing that an ancestor was not a birth parent
(4) Origin

I've help find three their birth parents, though I am very hesitant  due to possible implications there.

But it is all worthwhile when the joy provided to 100's who have found their roots.  Those tears are worth more than gold.

Our Church regularly puts on (once a year or so) what they call Geneology Fairs that are open to anyone interested in the subject.  My wife and I are always participants as counselors and never fail to get involved in some sort of investigation of that type of thing.  Most often people are greatly appreciative  of what you help them find but once in a while ...

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2017, 10:24:55 pm »

(1) The topic of race,
(4) Origin

Today we  are more understanding, than our ancestors. For bad actors, they often just went into near-full-denial blackout.

My surname derives from a chap (my g gf) that came from Sweden in his late 20s, married and fathered 4 children that lived to be adults (3 died during childhood).

Unknown until my genealogy studies uncovered this; he had also deserted the Swedish army, deserted a wife and children in Sweden before heading to Minnesota, then Dakota Terr.

In Dakota he was run out of town after his 6th child, but the woman (my g gm) allowed him to visit on sneaks, and had the 7th child. He then disappeared again, no grave location, etc.

So that is why nobody talks about olde Nils, very much !!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2017, 03:43:45 am »
I see that 23 & Me has a "Thanksgiving Family Offer" through Nov 23, 2017: $49/kit for 2 or more kits (Ancestry Service)
https://www.23andme.com/

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2017, 12:28:37 am »
I took advantage of ancestry-com's DNA kit offer and am awaiting my results. My question is whether I start filling out my family tree, will that information be used by ancestry's owners to "baptize the dead"?

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2017, 12:31:49 am »
I took advantage of ancestry-com's DNA kit offer and am awaiting my results. My question is whether I start filling out my family tree, will that information be used by ancestry's owners to "baptize the dead"?
One of the most frustrating things in the Ancestry DNA is all of the other people who also did the test that have no trees associated, yet says they are cousins. How does one know if there is no tree information?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2017, 01:03:29 am »
The worst thing about ancestry (it appears to me) is that they dangle tidbits of information about your family, but you have to join up for an extended period to see whether or not it's even relevant.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #144 on: December 09, 2017, 01:11:16 am »
The worst thing about ancestry (it appears to me) is that they dangle tidbits of information about your family, but you have to join up for an extended period to see whether or not it's even relevant.

@mountaineer

You can get completely free account at Familysearch.org https://www.familysearch.org/

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:11:39 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2017, 01:15:16 am »
Thanks, @Bigun

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2017, 01:16:31 am »
One of the most frustrating things in the Ancestry DNA is all of the other people who also did the test that have no trees associated, yet says they are cousins. How does one know if there is no tree information?

@RetBobbyMI

Download your raw DNA file from Ancestry to your computer then go to GEDMatch.com  https://www.gedmatch.com/

Open an account for free and upload the file you downloaded from ancestry to them.  Takes a few days but afterward you will be able to compare your kit number to millions of others there.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2017, 01:26:36 am »
I owe everyone on this thread a HUGE apology as I promised to let you know about Holiday specials with various companies and flat out forgot to do that!

Roots Magic http://rootsmagic.com/ had a fantastic bargain on their software recently (fantastic enough to cause me to buy it) that just expired!  They may well do it again just before Christmas and I do my best to let you know if they do.

I think Ancestry is still offering a $69 special for their autosomal test right now as well.

I know that the best of all of them (FTDNA) has some GREAT deals going right now which you can check out at this link https://www.familytreedna.com/products

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2017, 01:30:36 am »
I see that 23 & Me has a "Thanksgiving Family Offer" through Nov 23, 2017: $49/kit for 2 or more kits (Ancestry Service)
https://www.23andme.com/

@Suppressed

You can do as you please but I would stay away from 23&me if I were you.  They have been caught jiggling around with things lately.

Here's a link to some REALLy good deals with acompany that has an excellent reputation.  https://www.familytreedna.com/products

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2017, 01:32:09 am »
I'm seriously thinking of doing an dna test..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/