Author Topic: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage  (Read 110977 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2017, 01:27:54 am »
Extremely accurate.. IMHO FTDNA IS the best of the lot.

FTDNA- More technically astute
Ancestry- Better tools to find matches

I use both
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 02:30:27 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2017, 02:12:06 am »
FTDNA- More technically astute
Ancestry- Better tools to find matches

I sue both

I did autosomal test with ancestry and uploaded results to GEDmatch.com to find more matches.

Did Y test with FTDNA and also uploaded autosomal results to them as well.   There are many family projects at FTDNA that one can join and compare results with others having the same surname.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2017, 02:14:57 am »
My wife did both FTDNA and 23 & Me tests. We found a bunch of known relatives on 23 & Me. We haven't been able to confirm any matches on FTDNA. I believe that, between the two, there are many more people on 23 & Me.

Are they expensive?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2017, 02:21:19 am »
Are they expensive?

@Freya

Normal price for autosomal test is around $100 but they run specials all the time and you can get one done  for $69 if you watch for those.

I'll try to rember to post it here when I see those specials run again.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2017, 04:14:29 pm »
I personally think it to be one of the most important undertakings one can engage in and besides that I LOVE it!

Absolutely! I have been researching my lineage since abt. 2001 and have loved every minute of it.
Even when I have come up against some frustrating brick walls the hunt is still enjoyable.
Barba non facit philosophum.

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2017, 04:23:26 pm »
You don't have any from the Normandy region of France per chance? I have a couple of Hugoenot ancestors from there that ultimately trace back to Norway and Sweden.

Would your Huguenot ancestors happen to be from or related to the Fuqua line?

More specifically, the line from the progenitor Guillaume Fuqua?
Barba non facit philosophum.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2017, 02:31:46 pm »
This is an FYI...

If you want search your family for free go to https://familysearch.org/ (very neat site)

Also check this site out: https://relativefinder.org/
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2017, 03:13:11 pm »
One thing that I find interesting from my ancestry tree is this:

I have a lot ancestors who came from England, Germany (like 99% of Americans), however, I do have some Scot, Scot-Irish, Irish and Welsh ancestry.

I do have some connections to our founding fathers. I also have some connections to the current royal family.

I'm thinking of doing the 23andme dna testing. The only brick wall that I'm having is with the my one of my Great Grandfather. It is fun though.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2017, 03:32:36 pm »
Bookmarking...  :seeya:
Let it burn.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2017, 04:00:08 pm »
This is an FYI...

If you want search your family for free go to https://familysearch.org/ (very neat site)

Also check this site out: https://relativefinder.org/

Yes, it is a very useful site (family search)  but as I tell my genealogy class........   Please be careful.....  it is riddled with errors.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 04:00:37 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #110 on: July 04, 2017, 04:01:56 pm »
I was really getting into it a while back. I was stuck getting beyond my grandfather on my mother's side. I was finally able to find him in the 1920 census. His name is William Burnice Pippin, but I found him listed in the census as Burniee Pippin. Everything else fit. It must of been a Pet name. My father was real close to a 2nd cousin. I couldn't find any information on her. I knew the area they grew up in, so I examined what church records I could find from that area, until I found her. It gets challenging/frustrating when you hit a brick wall.

My Dad had done I lot of genealogy work. I took what he had left me and I fed it into Ancestry. That was my first exposure to genealogy.  I then was flooded with them dang leaves. I followed leaf after leaf after leaf. I was following a branch leading into the year 200's. That's when I felt it was bogus. I deleted it all and started over. This time If they didn't have papers/records I didn't add them to my tree. I think I found 2 branches that both lead to the Mayflower Compact. Now I need to learn how to gather the required documenting records.

My son did the 23 and me, he promised to send me the results. Still waiting.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2017, 04:02:26 pm »
The only brick wall that I'm having is with the my one of my Great Grandfather.

PM me with some details, and maybe I can help.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2017, 04:13:13 pm »
Now I need to learn how to gather the required documenting records.

My son did the 23 and me, he promised to send me the results. Still waiting.

Good work.  Also make sure you make out a clear system/process of that documentation.  After 20 years, 8 file cabinet drawers and 16 (3" 3 ring) binders, it so important, otherwise it will become the needle/haystack thing.

I also share your frustration with Ancestry.  I have 100's of examples of where I have shared research, and the subsequent researcher makes a mistake.  Then it hits online, and it goes viral.  Pisses me off badly.   One thing that I do, that helps manage that world of collaboration/speculation versus reality is to manage it through two different trees.  One based on clues and the other on full sound evidence.  In any case.....Happy Hunting.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2017, 04:36:00 pm »
We recently made contact with a relative through Ancestry. (autosomal)

We share a common relative, one Henry Rhoades Meeks, Jr. who was a member of the Butch and Sundance gang, aka "The Wild bunch" and "The Hole in the Wall Gang."

Henry's nickname was "Bub" Meeks.

Buried in Lyman City Cemetary, Wyoming

Bub Meeks was jailed after the 1896 robbery of a bank in Montpelier Idaho. He escaped from jail multiple time, one time being shot in the leg, and the leg later amputated. He continued escape attempts, even after that.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2017, 04:37:58 pm »
Yes, it is a very useful site (family search)  but as I tell my genealogy class........   Please be careful.....  it is riddled with errors.

I'm careful as well.. I trust ancestry more than I do that site.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2017, 04:45:36 pm »
PM me with some details, and maybe I can help.

Ok thank you..

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2017, 04:48:02 pm »

Same here, as there is enough indexed and scanned info, to provided enough documentation in any cases. 
the ability to link those references and documents to individuals and trees helps tremendously in separating the creme from the curds.
Having the ability to see scanned documents of ancestor vital records  from England 400 years ago is beyond cool.

OTOH as Ancestry has become a behemoth and a monopolization of the on-line aspects of the hobby, there are several things they have done to anger me.

(1) Abandoning the FTM (Family Tree Maker) Program.  This is their way to force the genealogical community to manage their trees/data through their system (cloud).  Disgusting.

(2) If you have noticed Ancestry is getting ready to tinker (screw up probably) Find A Grave.  F-A-G was probably the most innovative and near thing to come out the genealogy field in the past 15 years.  It has a lot of info, grave pictures, and data, that wasn't found anywhere else.  Mark my words, within 5 years Ancestry will find a way to charge customers for this, and screw over the multitude of people who contributed to this fine program.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2017, 04:59:12 pm »
Same here, as there is enough indexed and scanned info, to provided enough documentation in any cases. 
the ability to link those references and documents to individuals and trees helps tremendously in separating the creme from the curds.
Having the ability to see scanned documents of ancestor vital records  from England 400 years ago is beyond cool.

OTOH as Ancestry has become a behemoth and a monopolization of the on-line aspects of the hobby, there are several things they have done to anger me.

(1) Abandoning the FTM (Family Tree Maker) Program.  This is their way to force the genealogical community to manage their trees/data through their system (cloud).  Disgusting.

(2) If you have noticed Ancestry is getting ready to tinker (screw up probably) Find A Grave.  F-A-G was probably the most innovative and near thing to come out the genealogy field in the past 15 years.  It has a lot of info, grave pictures, and data, that wasn't found anywhere else.  Mark my words, within 5 years Ancestry will find a way to charge customers for this, and screw over the multitude of people who contributed to this fine program.

I noticed that as well.  It started out good, but in the end it is going to get worse..  They are going to ruin it for a lot of people.

My main beef with ancestry.com is that I have pay extra just to view international records.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2017, 05:03:03 pm »

I noticed that as well.  It started out good, but in the end it is going to get worse..  They are going to ruin it for a lot of people.

My main beef with ancestry.com is that I have pay extra just to view international records.

Ditto here.  Never thought I would ever pay $300/year for any kind of on-line subscription.

They have Libarary Edition at my genealogy library , but finally decided the convienence was worth it

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #119 on: July 04, 2017, 05:04:03 pm »

A great deal of Ancestry, is the same as familysearch.org. As in the same data, from the same original sources.

Prior to the internet, and for awhile after, genealogy continued to be "for free and for fun." Early internet sites, held a lot of good info which enthusiasts gladly shared for free.

Then Ancestry started buying them out, and putting information behind their pay wall.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #120 on: July 04, 2017, 05:13:49 pm »
A great deal of Ancestry, is the same as familysearch.org. As in the same data, from the same original sources.

About 20 years ago, in the early days of this hobby for me, research was done via books, micro-film, micro-fiche, and CD's.

The AF filing (LDS' pre-nomenclature prior to familysearch.org) is absolutely riddled with errors.  In my early naivety, I took the bait and probably wasted 100-200 research hours barking up the wrong tree on a couple lines.  We learn from our early mistakes.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2017, 06:02:10 pm »
About 20 years ago, in the early days of this hobby for me, research was done via books, micro-film, micro-fiche, and CD's.

The AF filing (LDS' pre-nomenclature prior to familysearch.org) is absolutely riddled with errors.  In my early naivety, I took the bait and probably wasted 100-200 research hours barking up the wrong tree on a couple lines.  We learn from our early mistakes.

Here is another site...

https://www.wikitree.com/ and it is 100% free..

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2017, 10:06:05 pm »
Whew!  Been at a family reunion all day and must have answered a hundred questions about this.  I think the bug is biting more people all the time.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2017, 10:11:23 pm »

But that is changing rapidly as there is a veritable army working to clean it up at present.  Most of it is due to paper records years ago when people were submitting things with no way to know that someone else had already done the same work.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2017, 08:42:33 pm »
Well, I finally solved the last riddle of my family. My ancestors came from Wales and if I read the records right I have some Welsh royalty ancestors (way before England conquered Wales).