Author Topic: Cordcutting Thread  (Read 91807 times)

Offline Kamaji

Re: Cordcutting Thread
« Reply #500 on: July 18, 2022, 05:14:07 pm »
Where to watch MeTV (based on address):  https://www.metv.com/wheretowatch/zip/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #501 on: July 18, 2022, 05:31:39 pm »
Where to watch MeTV (based on address):  https://www.metv.com/wheretowatch/zip/

There's no on-air in available from my location (the nearest TV market is Las Vegas), and I don't have any of the cables they list because I cut the cable.  There's a "handy Tutorial but the link does not lead to a tutorial.

I might be able to get the Frndly TV to work at $7 per month with the Fire TV app.  I can get a free trial so I can see what's in there.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #502 on: July 18, 2022, 05:34:54 pm »
The ROKU has hundreds of channels, none of which are MeTv (I liked Svengoolie).  When I was surfing the channel line up I was amazed to see there are 24/7 channels for Mystery Science 3000 and the Red Green Show.  But no MeTV.  There are a number of Fire apps that have "local channels" but for some reason MeTV is never listed.   :shrug:

I did some looking around and found that MeTV is carried by the streaming service FrndlyTV. That service is available on Roku devices and probably Fire TV also, but it looks like they charge $6.99 per month. From what I can find that's the only streaming service that carries MeTV, unfortunately.

EDIT: I really need to refresh the thread before posting.  :thud:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 05:36:12 pm by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #503 on: July 18, 2022, 06:40:46 pm »
I did some looking around and found that MeTV is carried by the streaming service FrndlyTV. That service is available on Roku devices and probably Fire TV also, but it looks like they charge $6.99 per month. From what I can find that's the only streaming service that carries MeTV, unfortunately.

EDIT: I really need to refresh the thread before posting.  :thud:

I did exactly that.  Now we'll see!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline berdie

« Reply #504 on: July 18, 2022, 07:03:15 pm »
Funny that this MeTv conversation came up. On 7/15 Dish Network moved MeTv from a channel included in my slim package and moved it to a channel I don't get.

I watch MeTv alot. I am majorly steamed! 9999hair out0000

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #505 on: July 19, 2022, 08:18:28 am »
Just got a ROKU yesterday and am working through my options.
Are there any channels you highly recommend? And did you find any of the 'local news' channels worthwhile?
Pluto. It's free, Glen Beck, OAN, Newsmax are all on it, plus other channels and on demand.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #506 on: July 19, 2022, 08:40:53 am »
 @WhatWouldReaganDo

If you are an Amazon Prime member,the Amazon shows are available to you for free.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #507 on: July 19, 2022, 09:02:07 am »
Pluto. It's free, Glen Beck, OAN, Newsmax are all on it, plus other channels and on demand.

Well I'll be... I have been on PlutoTV since Hector was a pup... And I didn't know that.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #508 on: July 19, 2022, 02:05:46 pm »
Well I'll be... I have been on PlutoTV since Hector was a pup... And I didn't know that.
Yeah I saw that on Pluto.  There is probably a way to program my Roku to navigate to Pluto to watch those shows, but I have no idea how to do it.  I know I can watch Fox news live by clicking some link someone gave me.  I'm getting lazy in my old age and if the channel is easy to navigate to...that's the one I watch...lol.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #509 on: July 19, 2022, 02:22:59 pm »
Yeah I saw that on Pluto.  There is probably a way to program my Roku to navigate to Pluto to watch those shows, but I have no idea how to do it.  I know I can watch Fox news live by clicking some link someone gave me.  I'm getting lazy in my old age and if the channel is easy to navigate to...that's the one I watch...lol.

I did it just now, just to prove it... In ROKU, search for 'pluto', select the resulting channel, and add it.

I have never Accessed PlutoTV through the ROKU... Like I said upthread, I use a PC attached to my TVs as my main form of access... Just like surfing on a pooter... So I will likely continue to use the PC to watch it. But it is nice to have it loaded in the ROKU, in the event that the computer side goes down.

Like you, I am lazy too - And it is way easier for me to use the computer and keyboard... For one thing, the keyboard is way bigger than a clicker, and impossible for me to lose.  :laugh: ...And old dogs, and all that... It's just easier to use the PC, and since I am using Firefox, everything is available on all my devices. That is great - I can put whatever I am watching on my laptop or a tablet and go watch out on the porch, or wherever... And way less commercials too.  :beer:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #510 on: July 19, 2022, 02:33:39 pm »

I added Pluto to my Roku a number of years ago, and found they kept repeating the same programming.  So I lost interest.

Is OAN on there free? or on demand?  Might need to revisit.

My own cord cutting strategy is I have Sling, and my kids share Prime and Netflix. 

Enough to keep me entertained, for only $30./mo.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #511 on: July 19, 2022, 03:56:12 pm »
Just got a ROKU yesterday and am working through my options.
Are there any channels you highly recommend? And did you find any of the 'local news' channels worthwhile?

I have been watching Tubi a lot recently.  It is free with minimal ads, and it has a lot of older TV series and movies, with new selections rotated in on some schedule, not sure yet how often.
Let it burn.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #512 on: July 19, 2022, 04:12:35 pm »
I just added the channel. Then it pops up on the home screen.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #513 on: July 19, 2022, 04:16:57 pm »
I have been watching Tubi a lot recently.  It is free with minimal ads, and it has a lot of older TV series and movies, with new selections rotated in on some schedule, not sure yet how often.
Tubi is good, too. I actually rotate through a bunch of channels, watch all the movies that interest me and move on. Filmrise, Freevee (formerly IMDB), Plex, and Crackle, are among them, Netflix through family, BritBox and a couple others. I end up paying about $30/month not counting the Amazon Prime membership.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #514 on: July 20, 2022, 12:29:50 am »
Yeah I saw that on Pluto.  There is probably a way to program my Roku to navigate to Pluto to watch those shows, but I have no idea how to do it.

@mrpotatohead

Well,it is kinda complex. You have to open the search engine and type "Pluto" in the subject box.

Once you are there,you can save the Pluto Channel in your favorites,and just click on the icon.

I know I can watch Fox news live by clicking some link someone gave me.  

Same deal,but slightly less complex because you don't have to do as much typing.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #515 on: August 18, 2022, 11:30:09 pm »
Streaming surpasses cable as top way to consume TV

https://www.axios.com/2022/08/18/streaming-surpasses-cable-tv-market-share

Streaming has officially topped cable as the most popular method by which Americans consume television content, according to new data from Nielsen.

Why it matters: Just as cable's victory over broadcast ushered in waves of change to U.S. media, streaming's rise will continue to bring new businesses and cultural forces to the fore.

Details: Streaming now makes up more than one-third of all television consumption in the U.S., according to data from Nielsen's monthly Gauge study of TV consumption.

•   Netflix continues to be the top streaming platform, taking 7.7% of total share of TV consumption in July. YouTube, Amazon Prime Video and Disney+ increased their share of viewing time last month to 7.3%, 3% and 1.8%, respectively, while HBO Max held steady at 1%.

Yes, but: Traditional TV, which includes both cable and broadcast consumption, still collectively makes up the majority of TV viewing in the U.S., for now.

•   But if the rate of these categories' decline continues, streaming could very well surpass traditional television as the primary way Americans consumer TV content in the next few years.

•   While the total amount of TV consumption has remained consistent in the past year, the amount that Americans have streamed has increased 22.6%, compared to declines in cable and broadcast of 8.9% and 9.8%, respectively.

More at link.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #516 on: August 19, 2022, 02:25:49 am »
The reason why MeTV isn't available on streaming platforms is simple: it's all reruns, and they only own the rights to carry those reruns over-the-air (and on cable/satellite); they have no streaming rights to any of their programming, so it can't be carried on any streaming platform as a whole channel.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #517 on: August 19, 2022, 02:38:25 am »
MeTV is carried on Frndly TV, a channel I can get on Roku.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #518 on: August 22, 2022, 11:56:17 pm »
The cord has been cut. Streaming is more watched than cable

The cord has been cut.
For the first time ever, Americans are watching more streaming TV than cable, according to a report from Nielsen. The milestone has long been expected as viewers change their viewing habits and ditch their pricey cable bundles for cheaper alternatives.
In July, streaming amounted to 34.8% in the share of total TV consumption, a growth of nearly 23% within the past year. Cable and broadcast viewership both dropped year over year, with the former amounting to 34.4% and the latter making up just 21.6%. Both fell around 10% compared to July 2021.

Nielsen notes streaming has surpassed broadcast before, but its the "first time it has also exceeded cable viewing." Netflix, Hulu and YouTube also captured record-high shares, with Netflix (NFLX) being the biggest streaming platform thanks to "Stranger Things'" new season.

The report's findings aren't surprising, but it is an inflection point for the typical American TV viewer as well as the industry. Entertainment companies are spending billions of dollars bolstering their streaming services to future-proof themselves. But streaming's glory days might already be over: The war to win over subscribers at any cost is done........

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/19/business/streaming-cable-viewership/index.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #519 on: August 23, 2022, 12:29:23 am »
I truly don't understand why anybody subscribes to cable anymore.

Both my ex and her sister have cable,and even though I GAVE them both a ROKU player and showed them how it worked,they still make those cable payments and watch cable tv instead of their ROKU's.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #520 on: August 23, 2022, 01:10:41 am »
I truly don't understand why anybody subscribes to cable anymore.

Both my ex and her sister have cable,and even though I GAVE them both a ROKU player and showed them how it worked,they still make those cable payments and watch cable tv instead of their ROKU's.

I don't get it either @sneakypete we have a Roku in the family room and a Roku in our bedroom, but hubby still refuses to cut that cord.  He rarely watches cable. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #521 on: August 23, 2022, 05:02:49 am »
MeTV is carried on Frndly TV, a channel I can get on Roku.

They want to charge me $7 a month for Frndly TV on my Roku.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....