Author Topic: COGCC outlines impacts if voters approve proposed mandatory setback  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
COGCC outlines impacts if voters approve proposed mandatory setback
http://www.ogj.com/articles/2016/05/cogcc-outlines-impacts-if-voters-approve-proposed-mandatory-setback.html?cmpid=EnlDailyMay312016&eid=290980193&bid=1419326
 05/31/2016
By Nick Snow
OGJ Washington Editor

Ninety percent of Colorado’s surface acreage would be off-limits to future oil and gas development or hydraulic fracturing under a November ballot initiative that would establish a minimum 2,500 ft mandatory setback from any “occupied structure” or “area of special concern,” the Colorado Oil & Gas Conservation said in a May 27 report.

“In the top 5 producing counties, 95% of the surface area would be within mandatory setback zones and unavailable for new oil and gas development or [fracing] operations,” the 20-page COGCC staff analysis said. “The ballot initiative language does not provide any exceptions to or possibility of variance from the mandatory 2,500 ft setback distance.”
>snip<
Initiative 78 defines occupied structure as “any building or structure that requires a certificate of occupancy, or building or structure intended for human occupancy, including homes, schools, and hospitals.”

An area of special concern would include “public and community drinking water sources, lakes, rivers, perennial or intermittent streams, creeks, irrigation canals, riparian areas, playgrounds, permanent sports fields, amphitheaters, public parks, and public open space.”

More info at the link:

http://www.ogj.com/articles/2016/05/cogcc-outlines-impacts-if-voters-approve-proposed-mandatory-setback.html?cmpid=EnlDailyMay312016&eid=290980193&bid=1419326

Say goodbye to Colorado's Oil industry if this passes. That includes oil shale development (Green River Formation).

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

Re: COGCC outlines impacts if voters approve proposed mandatory setback
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 05:58:56 pm »
#energy

hashtag test...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 09:08:52 pm »
#energy

hashtag test...
The tagged articles come up on a search when I do it. That seems to be a way to do it. It will get loaded up after a while, though, but it is a good way to flag articles posted in other forums on the board, too.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:09:18 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 11:02:30 pm »
Potarado

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 01:30:41 am »
COGCC outlines impacts if voters approve proposed mandatory setback
 05/31/2016
By Nick Snow
OGJ Washington Editor
>snip<
More info at the link:

Say goodbye to Colorado's Oil industry if this passes. That includes oil shale development (Green River Formation).

Well, in the advent of extended-reach wells going for two miles or more, this may not be all that important, except in populated areas.  As an example, the city of Fort Worth has a sweet spot of the Barnett Shale underlying it, and companies have been able to drill and develop it on a relative handful of multi-well pads.  Having said that, none of them would be drilled under the city if one truly must abide by the setback of 2500'

Seems that, like a mineral owner in New York which will not allow fraccing, Colorado mineral owners have a reasonable chance of successfully arguing a 'taking' of their property if this item passes.  This is tyranny by the majority otherwise.

The absolute beauty of the oil and gas business is that technology has advance fantastically to allow such a small footprint to be used to extract its resources.

Very few other energy ventures can make claim to that(especially ethanol and solar).
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 08:09:49 pm »
Well, in the advent of extended-reach wells going for two miles or more, this may not be all that important, except in populated areas.  As an example, the city of Fort Worth has a sweet spot of the Barnett Shale underlying it, and companies have been able to drill and develop it on a relative handful of multi-well pads.  Having said that, none of them would be drilled under the city if one truly must abide by the setback of 2500'

Seems that, like a mineral owner in New York which will not allow fraccing, Colorado mineral owners have a reasonable chance of successfully arguing a 'taking' of their property if this item passes.  This is tyranny by the majority otherwise.

The absolute beauty of the oil and gas business is that technology has advance fantastically to allow such a small footprint to be used to extract its resources.

Very few other energy ventures can make claim to that(especially ethanol and solar).
The DJ Basin, not to mention the Cozette/Corcoran wells don't have as generous a target as the Barnett, Nor are these wells quite the same as unconventional resopurces--you can get water for your troubles.  Keep in mind, that according to the definition, intermittent streams and all sorts of other 'special' areas apply. Find some place in Colorado 2500 ft. from an intermittent stream or a running/standing body of water, AND close enough to the right resources to even think about drilling a well, and you will have hit the jackpot (roughly a square mile without any watershed, so you can plunk down in the middle and drill a well). Or one Dinosaur bone could shut you down, even though they are not uncommon in the Western Part of the state. Then there is the question of whether BLM lands or National Forest land would be considered to be "Public open space". If so, there isn't much left to drill a well on.

I have worked wells which ran 2 1/2 sections in Montana, (1600 acre spacing, 12000 ft. lateral wellbore). We only did two, because of the leases held by the operator. The last part is the most expensive, difficult to steer, and suffers greatly from side hole friction while drilling. Merely orienting tools for a 'slide' to change the direction of the hole is difficult, and can use up thousands of dollars worth of rig time. The further out you get, the more difficult and expensive it gets to drill.
Of course, that is dependent on the formation you are drilling, the thickness and rock type, and the depths involved, but as a general rule, that is the case.

C S Lewis

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 12:49:34 am »
The DJ Basin, not to mention the Cozette/Corcoran wells don't have as generous a target as the Barnett, Nor are these wells quite the same as unconventional resopurces--you can get water for your troubles.  Keep in mind, that according to the definition, intermittent streams and all sorts of other 'special' areas apply. Find some place in Colorado 2500 ft. from an intermittent stream or a running/standing body of water, AND close enough to the right resources to even think about drilling a well, and you will have hit the jackpot (roughly a square mile without any watershed, so you can plunk down in the middle and drill a well). Or one Dinosaur bone could shut you down, even though they are not uncommon in the Western Part of the state. Then there is the question of whether BLM lands or National Forest land would be considered to be "Public open space". If so, there isn't much left to drill a well on.

I have worked wells which ran 2 1/2 sections in Montana, (1600 acre spacing, 12000 ft. lateral wellbore). We only did two, because of the leases held by the operator. The last part is the most expensive, difficult to steer, and suffers greatly from side hole friction while drilling. Merely orienting tools for a 'slide' to change the direction of the hole is difficult, and can use up thousands of dollars worth of rig time. The further out you get, the more difficult and expensive it gets to drill.
Of course, that is dependent on the formation you are drilling, the thickness and rock type, and the depths involved, but as a general rule, that is the case.

Conventional targets will be more affected situation under this ruling as their extent is less.  Much less so for the broad-based unconventionals which are the norm now and becoming even more so in the future.  Some of the plum sweet spots may have to remain undrilled.

I helped design and drill and complete a 15,000' well in Dunn County for the MB.  Zone was on average only 18' thick, and the drilling, running B&S and fraccing went unbelievably as designed.  Stayed in zone the entire way and the completion guys cut back on # isolation packers to ensure friction was not too much.  Didn't need to as liner ran in hole very smooth. Costs to drill and complete were no more than 20% more than a 10,000' lateral.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 01:10:25 am »
Conventional targets will be more affected situation under this ruling as their extent is less.  Much less so for the broad-based unconventionals which are the norm now and becoming even more so in the future.  Some of the plum sweet spots may have to remain undrilled.

I helped design and drill and complete a 15,000' well in Dunn County for the MB.  Zone was on average only 18' thick, and the drilling, running B&S and fraccing went unbelievably as designed.  Stayed in zone the entire way and the completion guys cut back on # isolation packers to ensure friction was not too much.  Didn't need to as liner ran in hole very smooth. Costs to drill and complete were no more than 20% more than a 10,000' lateral.
The ones we did were over 10 years ago, on a rotary (Kelly, not top drive) rig. This was in Elm Coulee down by the MonDak Field with a thinner (about 8 ft.) target. The tools (MWD reliability, mud motors, and bits), and rigs have come a long way since then.

Dunn County is interesting to work, I had one well which had a real nice pelletal lime in the Middle Bakken instead of the usual microcrystalline dolomite/silty (vf) sand. That one came in like gangbusters.

C S Lewis

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 02:06:10 am »

Quote from: Smokin Joe on June 03, 2016, 01:10:25 am
The ones we did were over 10 years ago, on a rotary (Kelly, not top drive) rig. This was in Elm Coulee down by the MonDak Field with a thinner (about 8 ft.) target. The tools (MWD reliability, mud motors, and bits), and rigs have come a long way since then.

Dunn County is interesting to work, I had one well which had a real nice pelletal lime in the Middle Bakken instead of the usual microcrystalline dolomite/silty (vf) sand. That one came in like gangbusters.

I like pellets since we went after oolites in South Texas 30 years ago.

Want permeability?  watch this https://www.facebook.com/SanAntonioExpressNews/videos/10154178607555762/?pnref=story

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 04:16:15 am »

Quote from: IsailedawayfromFR on June 03, 2016, 02:06:10 am

I like pellets since we went after oolites in South Texas 30 years ago.

Want permeability?  watch this https://www.facebook.com/SanAntonioExpressNews/videos/10154178607555762/?pnref=story
Drilled into cave four times in Nevada (three times into paleoKarst at the contact with the Paleozoics at the base of the valley fill, once in the Guilmette). It doesn't take long to empty the mud tanks...

Found a fluid (mostly oil) supported oolite bar over in Daniels County Montana long ago, too.

Neat stuff.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:17:34 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 01:39:14 pm »
Drilled into cave four times in Nevada (three times into paleoKarst at the contact with the Paleozoics at the base of the valley fill, once in the Guilmette). It doesn't take long to empty the mud tanks...

Found a fluid (mostly oil) supported oolite bar over in Daniels County Montana long ago, too.

Neat stuff.

I was supervising the drilling of an Austin Chalk well in 1991 when during the turn the bit dropped 13' and we lost all returns at 6900'.  Began flowing on annulus oil and gas. 

After 7 days of fighting it, we decided to drill no more after producing 20,000 bo.

No need for a horizontal leg if we found the motherlode already.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 05:38:52 pm »
I was supervising the drilling of an Austin Chalk well in 1991 when during the turn the bit dropped 13' and we lost all returns at 6900'.  Began flowing on annulus oil and gas. 

After 7 days of fighting it, we decided to drill no more after producing 20,000 bo.

No need for a horizontal leg if we found the motherlode already.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

We got back water on the DST in one of those Nevada wells with 200 PPM Cl. It looked like oil of the resistivity logs. Sitting there in the middle of a desert valley, with stringy mustangs running around with their ribs hanging out trying to live on the occasional clump of grass, with a virtual a gold mine of fresh water. BLM lease, not permitted for water--they said if you aren't going to produce oil, plug it.

C S Lewis

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 06:23:46 pm »
the 300' wells we were producing in Starr County made water at about 500 ppm.

The ranchers let their livestock drink from the TB pits.

I don't think I would have liked to taste that beef with its oily smell.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 07:17:53 pm »
the 300' wells we were producing in Starr County made water at about 500 ppm.

The ranchers let their livestock drink from the TB pits.

I don't think I would have liked to taste that beef with its oily smell.
There were a couple of stock tanks in Pine Valley NV with oil seeps (small ones). It's how they discovered the Blackburn Field. http://elkorose.schopine.com/pinevalleyoil.html

C S Lewis