Author Topic: Sessions to Ryan: Get on the Trump Train now  (Read 1789 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Sessions to Ryan: Get on the Trump Train now
« on: May 29, 2016, 04:32:15 pm »
Sessions to Ryan: Get on the Trump Train now

Joel Gehrke (@Joelmentum) • 5/29/16 11:19 AM

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sessions-to-ryan-get-on-the-trump-train-now/article/2592552#.V0sOK_HR55k.twitter

Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala. said Sunday that House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., needs to get on board with Donald Trump's campaign. "He needs to do that," Sessions said when asked by Fox News' Maria Bartiromo about a potential Ryan endorsement. "We don't need to continue having the speaker hanging out there, in my opinion."

Ryan has steadily refused to endorse Trump, despite pressure from friends and allies within the Republican Party, although the two Republicans' aides talk regularly. But Ryan is clearly trying to influence Trump and protect the House Republican majority. "I feel that I can play a role in unifying," he said last week. "I don't want to see our party divided."

Sessions also suggested that Ryan doesn't read free trade agreements, despite being their most powerful advocate in the Republican Party.

exc

Oceander

Re: Sessions to Ryan: Get on the Trump Train now
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 04:34:16 pm »
Ja wohl, Gruppenführer Sessions.  Sieg heil.

#NeverTrump - means never shutting up.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 04:36:12 pm »
Trump corrupts everybody and everything he touches.  Now Sessions is out, trying to muscle Ryan into an endorsement.

Obviously, like Thomas More refusing to back Henry VIII's divorce, Ryan's silence is bellowing across the Republican landscape and Trump doesn't like it.

Good to see Ryan holding out until Trump demonstrates he can act like a human being.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 04:36:58 pm »
Trump corrupts everybody and everything he touches.  Now Sessions is out, trying to muscle Ryan into an endorsement.

Obviously, like Thomas More refusing to back Henry VIII's divorce, Ryan's silence is bellowing across the Republican landscape and Trump doesn't like it.

Good to see Ryan holding out until Trump demonstrates he can act like a human being.

Ryan will be holding out for a long, long time.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 04:52:05 pm »

Very apt comparison.

(How long until Trump makes a crack about Ryan growing that beard?)

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 05:00:36 pm »
This is really evidence that the Republican Party is beyond redemption. If the choice of leadership is between Paul Ryan and Donald Trump, I choose neither. I really stopped being a Republican in 2012, when they put forward Mitt Romney as the best candidate to oppose Barack Obama, and he then proceeded to throw the election by not really opposing him anyway.

I thought the Tea Party still had a chance of taking over the Republican party from within, but I think now that idea is done too. It's time for principled, thoughtful conservatives to leave the Republican party and either find a party they can support, or form one. This election is toast, time to move on and get ready for the next one, if there is one.
Let it burn.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 06:08:11 pm »

Ryan should not be bullied into endorsing the bully.  I'm glad he's holding out.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 06:14:48 pm »
Good points.

I don't agree.  It would take too many years to establish another viable party. 

We need to reform the Republican Party from within.  That can be done more quickly than forming another party.

John McCain and others of his ilk (too many others) can be defeated in the next two elections.

Ted Cruz's leadership will go a long way.

The democrats never let inner corruption defeat their allegiance or loyalty to the party and that has served them well.

There is a time for pie in the sky but this is not the time.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 06:33:40 pm »
We need to reform the Republican Party from within.  That can be done more quickly than forming another party.

Conservatives have been trying to "take over the party from within" since at least 1964. Despite a couple of successes at the ballot box (electing Ronald Reagan, winning the House and Senate in 1992) the party is just as split between conservatives and non-conservatives as ever. 

Eventually you have to say, "OK, that didn't work. What else can we try?"
Let it burn.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 08:56:10 pm »

Ryan is doing the right thing.  I hope he can continue to do so.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 08:59:47 pm »

We're well beyond the point where "party reform" can make any difference.  Both parties are corrupt, and our elected "representatives" live and work in a corrupt and corrupting environment.  The real government -- the staffers, bureaucrats, lobbyists and political action groups -- cannot be reformed, but rather must be swept out.  Which, short of a real crash, is unlikely to happen.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:00:29 pm by r9etb »

Offline RedHead

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 09:29:20 pm »

Sessions drank the Kool-aid long ago.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 11:36:19 pm »

There is a time for pie in the sky but this is not the time.

If not now, when?
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline OldSaltUSN

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 11:40:09 pm »
This is really evidence that the Republican Party is beyond redemption.

True.

I thought the Tea Party still had a chance of taking over the Republican party from within...

In reality, the Tea Party involved GOP conservatives reaching outside the party for partners of common conviction to promote conservative governance, to diminish the ability of the political elites of both parties to maintain the "big government" status quo.   That effort failed due to joint efforts, the Democrats using government authority illegally to shut down Tea Party groups, while GOP-e politicians used party power to diminish influence of Tea Party associated elected officials, and to defeat Tea Party candidates.

Trump is the result of the defeat of the Tea Party.  The "I'm mad as hell, I've been abused and misused, so I can justify anything you bastards" portion of the GOP, newly empowered with secular humanists, libertarians, disaffected "Reagan Democrats, which is why the Trumpkins sound so much like the Union and Alinsky activists of the 1960's and 1970's.  Machiavelli's "the end justifies the means" and Alinsky's "Rules for radicals" were never the mantra of GOP social NOR economic conservatives.  However, it is the organizing philosophy of the Trump minority today.

GOP conservatives cannot believe what they hear coming from the Trumpkins, while it's just everyday business to a certain portion of the Tea Partiers.    We conservatives look like "deer in the headlights" to the Trumpkins, which just makes them believe all the more in the righteousness and inevitability of their cause.

They will lose, of course, and the GOP will be no more after November.   Few will remain attached to the GOP's rotting political corpse after Trump loses 50 states, the Senate, and half the GOP House.  The GOP rot was underway in earnest in 2008, though it began as early as 1988 with the election of G.H.W. Bush, and kicked in high gear in 1996 when the GOP backed down from the impeachment of Clinton.  Principle was compromised by dribbles and leaps, until the GOP no longer had any legitimacy.   Obama was the first result, the Tea Party, the second, and Trump the second.    The net effect of the GOP-e defeating the Tea Party was the destruction of the GOP.   

Supporting Trump for President in November is meaningless.  It won't elect Trump, it won't save the GOP as a viable political party, but it won't stop the GOP from trying.  The GOP as a political party is a holed,  down by the bow, still running full speed ahead, with it's decks awash.  Every action by it's incompetent bridge crew simply accelerates the inevitable.

There is no quick or easy fix, to return the USA to it's conservative moorings.   The USA has been run by hard left Democrats for 16 out of the last 24 years, and the progressive dominated bureaucracy and GOP RINO's have compromised the GOP-governed years to the point of insignificance.   Elections DO matter, and the GOP loses WHERE significant, leading to the status quo.

The GOP is gone with the WHIGs.  The new conservative party is likely not yet formed.  Certainly, neither the Libertarians and Constitutional Party are the solution.  It will take years, perhaps two generations, to make the transition.  On the "bright side", history has taught us that catalysts like a civil war can accelerate the process to as few as four years.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 12:39:17 am »
Before people get all high on Ryan, remember that this was Romney's WILLING VP choice that ultimately sold out America to the Obama agenda along with Mitch.

Ryan is simply maximizing his 'value' to the GOP and trying to play kingmaker. He will, invariably, sell out to Trump as all the GOP liberals have. Every last one of them will put pragmatism over principle with the exception, MAYBE, being Cruz.

Bank on it.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 12:40:50 am »
Conservatives have been trying to "take over the party from within" since at least 1964. Despite a couple of successes at the ballot box (electing Ronald Reagan, winning the House and Senate in 1992) the party is just as split between conservatives and non-conservatives as ever. 

Eventually you have to say, "OK, that didn't work. What else can we try?"

I tried fruitlessly telling people on FR that for several years and every election they 'knew better'.

And here we are.

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 07:34:01 am »
The best time to plant a tree is ten years ago. The second-best time is now.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 08:45:49 am »
The best time to plant a tree is ten years ago. The second-best time is now.

Why, that's just crazy talk!!!

We can't do that NOW! We have to do that NEXT TIME! Because this time is too important/late/insert excuse from the last time someone suggested doing something 'now', here!

THIS TIME we're gonna hold their feet to the fire, unlike the last time we said we were gonna hold their feet to the fire, but didn't hold their feet to the fire. But the important thing is to elect yet another liberal whose feet are and shall remain in danger of frostbite so that  we can go online and beat our chests about how patriotically conservative we are.

You see, we can't let perfect become the enemy of the good! And so that means that this time, since we already threw the conservative in the race into the trashcan, we, sadly, and through no fault of our own, have to come together behind the psychotic liberal in the name of unity. For the good of the country.

Makes complete sense...