Author Topic: Engineers Have Made A Breakthrough To Create The Most Efficient Solar Cell Ever  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://www.thescienceworld.com/most-efficient-solar-cell-ever/#sthash.eso7xyd0.dpuf

Renewable energy is all the rage now a days and that is why scientists and engineers have ramped up their efforts to come up with better technologies that can make clean energy even more viable. One such step was taken by researchers of University of New South Wales who managed to develop a new solar cell with an efficiency that’s unheard of: this solar cell is capable of converting 34.5 of the energy into electricity.

What makes this solar cell such big news is the fact that it is able to accomplish this feat without the use of concentrators. Concentrators can be thought of as simple mirrors and as the name applies they concentrate the sunlight to a single solar cell. They not only increase the cost at the time of installation but also require a huge area to be installed. In fact, this very team of researchers achieved 40 percent efficiency back in 2014 by using concentrators. Now you can see why this solar cell is much more impressive.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline thackney

The article ends with nonsense.

They are quite expensive to manufacture and maintain. However, they are perfect for large solar power plants which don’t have any such restrictions. One way or another, solar energy is about to get a whole lot cheaper and more accessible.

Cost and maintenance isn't a factor for large power plants?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline uglybiker

Not when your biggest investor is usgov who doesn't care how much taxpayer money you p*ss away.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline Dexter

The efficiency level is a big deal. Cost and maintenance will improve over time.
-Socrates

Offline thackney

The efficiency level is a big deal. Cost and maintenance will improve over time.

Cost is the only factor that matters.  Maintenance is just cost.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

http://www.thescienceworld.com/most-efficient-solar-cell-ever/#sthash.eso7xyd0.dpuf

This appears drivel to continue the uneconomical saga of solar power being some type of savior of energy source.

I think our govt has wasted enough of taxpayer money be now to let it stand before the marketplace and compete like other forms of energy.

Oil gas and coal are far more natural forms of energy that are abundant, cheaper and proven to satisfy mankind's needs.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

Cost and maintenance will improve over time.

No they DO NOT. Maintenance costs climb as a plant ages. That applies whether it is a coal fired power plant or a factory. All industrial facilities require more maintenance as they age. A dirty little secret on PV power panels - as they get older efficiency drops off fast. The higher the initial efficiency, the faster the initial drop in that efficiency.

Offline Dexter

No they DO NOT. Maintenance costs climb as a plant ages. That applies whether it is a coal fired power plant or a factory. All industrial facilities require more maintenance as they age. A dirty little secret on PV power panels - as they get older efficiency drops off fast. The higher the initial efficiency, the faster the initial drop in that efficiency.

You misunderstand. The construction and maintenance cost of solar panels in general will go down with time. We will get better and better at making more and more efficient panels. The idea behind the subsidies is to develop the technology to the point that it doesn't need them anymore. The phenomenal progress of solar is undeniable. I think anybody that thinks it's a waste of time has convinced themselves of such because of political reasons.
-Socrates

You misunderstand. The construction and maintenance cost of solar panels in general will go down with time. We will get better and better at making more and more efficient panels. The idea behind the subsidies is to develop the technology to the point that it doesn't need them anymore. The phenomenal progress of solar is undeniable. I think anybody that thinks it's a waste of time has convinced themselves of such because of political reasons.

Cutting off the subsidies until not needed anymore?  What about NOW.  We have PROVEN technology in many other forms of energy production  and available to support our country for many lifetimes.

Spain went belly-up when it dived into this senseless episode of subsidies of renewables. Why do we need to repeat its mistakes?

When was the last time anybody cut a welfare check out from a recipient?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

and as far as "The phenomenal progress of solar is undeniable", better read this post on the largest solar plant we have.  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,207962.0.html

Not only a miserable failure in only producing 75% of stated capacity, being torched by itself,  the electricity it generates is SIX TIMES  the kw/hr of more conventional electricity production.  This is in spite of subsidies.

How is this 'phenomenal progress' measured?