Author Topic: Overnight Energy: EPA wants higher ethanol blend mandate  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Overnight Energy: EPA wants higher ethanol blend mandate
« on: May 19, 2016, 04:58:26 pm »
EPA DROPS NEW RENEWABLE FUEL STANDARD: The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Wednesday rolled out its proposed blending mandates for ethanol and other biofuels, and both sides in the debate are displeased.

Under the Wednesday plan, 18.8 billion gallons of biofuels would have to be blended into the nation's gasoline and diesel, and 14.8 billion gallons could be ethanol.

And while the total volume is 700 million gallons above this year and the ethanol volume is up 300 million gallons, the totals aren't what Congress wrote into the law in 2007.

Instead, the EPA is proposing to use a waiver authority written into the law, citing factors like a lower than expected demand for gasoline and diesel.

"This administration is committed to keeping the [renewable fuels standard] program on track, spurring continued growth in biofuel production and use, and achieving the climate and energy independence benefits that Congress envisioned from this program," Janet McCabe, head of the EPA's air pollution office, said in a statement.

The ethanol industry said it's completely unacceptable that the EPA still isn't setting the levels in the statute, and its use of the waiver is improper.

Read more: http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/overnights/280425-overnight-energy-epa-wants-higher-ethanol-blend-mandate
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:58:53 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline mirraflake

Re: Overnight Energy: EPA wants higher ethanol blend mandate
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 05:01:55 pm »
Tens of millions of regular gas engines-lawn movers, riding tractors, farm tractors  will be ruined by increased ethanol unless someone comes up with a additive to keep the gasket and rubber from being destroyed.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 05:02:20 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 05:17:00 pm »
Tens of millions of regular gas engines-lawn movers, riding tractors, farm tractors  will be ruined by increased ethanol unless someone comes up with a additive to keep the gasket and rubber from being destroyed.

Not to mention that ethanol is the last thing I'd process corn into. So many better alternatives like specialty chemicals.
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 05:31:17 pm »
I'd like to remind everybody that Trump is fine with ethanol standards, and Ryan fully supported them in last budget.

Only Ted Cruz took it on, with the result he won Iowa, where corn is king.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 03:00:59 pm »
I'd like to remind everybody that Trump is fine with ethanol standards, and Ryan fully supported them in last budget.

Trump's announcement about the ethanol mandate (after Cruz incurred the wrath of Iowa's Governor and his ethanol lobbyist son) was that Trump would support keeping and maybe increasing the mandate and use the EPA to enforce it to the fullest extent of the law
Keeping the EPA is incompatible with restoring American Industry. That is one of the things (combined with tort law and some aspects of organized labor) that pushed industry out of the country.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 10:19:34 pm »
Noooooooooo

A-Lert

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 10:49:59 pm »

I'd like to remind everybody that Trump wants to limit of eliminate the DOE and EPA. Will congress agree?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 02:48:10 am »
I'd like to remind everybody that Trump wants to limit of eliminate the DOE and EPA. Will congress agree?
Did Trump LIE in IOWA? Or is he lying Now?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

A-Lert

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 04:39:45 am »

What's changed? Didn't we discuss this before?

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 02:57:59 pm »

In this campaign, Trump has called for an expansion of the ethanol mandate.

Trump calls for higher ethanol mandate
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/266339-trump-calls-for-higher-ethanol-mandate

Donald Trump said Tuesday that federal regulators should increase the amount of ethanol blended into the nation’s gasoline supply.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 03:00:52 pm »
I would just like to remind everyone that if all inputs are considered it takes 1.2 units of energy to produce 1 unit of energy from corn based ethanol.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2001/08/ethanol-corn-faulted-energy-waster-scientist-says
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 03:03:43 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

A-Lert

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 08:31:48 pm »
In this campaign, Trump has called for an expansion of the ethanol mandate.

Trump calls for higher ethanol mandate
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/266339-trump-calls-for-higher-ethanol-mandate

This has been discussed here previously. I believe when Trump is fully educated on the costs associated with ethanol for vehicle fuel, he will change his mind. This is what those of us against ethanol use are up against.

http://www.grassley.senate.gov/news/news-releases/grassley-responds-ethanol-smear-campaign
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:32:28 pm by A-Lert »

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 12:16:50 am »
So supporting Trump is based upon him changing his mind, rather than his current remarks and opinions
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

A-Lert

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 12:36:07 am »
So supporting Trump is based upon him changing his mind, rather than his current remarks and opinions

Nope. There are no perfect candidates or humans for that matter. Midwest farmers and politicians, many  conservative Republicans support ethanol programs. I don't. So what do you propose?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 12:39:12 am »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 01:03:00 am »
This has been discussed here previously. I believe when Trump is fully educated on the costs associated with ethanol for vehicle fuel, he will change his mind. This is what those of us against ethanol use are up against.

http://www.grassley.senate.gov/news/news-releases/grassley-responds-ethanol-smear-campaign

So you are advocating another learn-on-the-fly President rather than one already prepared for the job?

No thanks, we have one already there.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

A-Lert

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2016, 01:12:46 am »
So you are advocating another learn-on-the-fly President rather than one already prepared for the job?

No thanks, we have one already there.

Tell me, which human being  do you believe knows everything?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2016, 01:16:30 am »
Tell me, which human being  do you believe knows everything?

It ain't Trump, who pretty much knows nothing about policy.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 01:17:49 am »
So both Trump and Clinton are fine with the ethanol mandates. Maybe there's some other way to tell them apart.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 01:21:31 am »
So both Trump and Clinton are fine with the ethanol mandates. Maybe there's some other way to tell them apart.  :pondering:
I've tried but the only difference I have thus far found is that one has a Y chromosome  and the other doesn't.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

A-Lert

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 01:24:54 am »

http://ethanolproducer.com/articles/12160/37-senators-issue-letter-in-support-of-a-strong-rfs

By Erin Voegele | April 24, 2015

[

A bipartisan group of 37 senators have send a letter to the U.S. EPA urging the agency to reverse course from the 2014 proposed rule and maintain a strong renewable fuel standard (RFS) to drive innovation and growth in America’s economy while helping reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 01:39:28 am »
Non sequitur.

A-Lert

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2016, 01:49:53 am »
Non sequitur.

To one who refuses to face reality.

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 01:55:34 am »
http://ethanolproducer.com/articles/12160/37-senators-issue-letter-in-support-of-a-strong-rfs

By Erin Voegele | April 24, 2015

[

A bipartisan group of 37 senators have send a letter to the U.S. EPA urging the agency to reverse course from the 2014 proposed rule and maintain a strong renewable fuel standard (RFS) to drive innovation and growth in America’s economy while helping reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

The only GOP in this group are in heavy corn producing areas, other than the idiot Lindsey.

Not too persuasive

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 01:58:16 am »
The reality is that corn does not belong in our cars' gas tanks, and the government never should have gotten involved.