Author Topic: Game of Thrones Thread  (Read 46136 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Game of Thrones Thread
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2019, 02:49:45 am »
My predictions:

CharacterAliveDead
The Night King    X
Jon Snow    X
Sansa Stark    X
Arya Stark    X
Bran Stark    X
Nymeria    X
Ghost    X
Lyanna Mormont    X
Cersei Lannister    X
Jaime Lannister    X
Tyrion Lannister    X
Daenerys Targaryen    X
Drogon    X
Rhaegal    X
Viserion    X
Yara Greyjoy    X
Theon Greyjoy    X
Euron Greyjoy    X
Melisandre    X
Jorah Mormont    X
The Hound    X
The Mountain    X
Samwell Tarly    X
Gilly    X
Little Sam    X
Lord Varys    X
Brienne of Tarth    X
Davos Seaworth    X
Bronn of the Blackwater    X
Podrick Payne    X
Tormund    X
Grey Worm    X
Missandei    X
Gendry    X
Beric Dondarrion    X
Qyburn    X
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2019, 01:59:28 pm »
My predictions:

Davos Seaworth    X

You're killing Davos Seaworth?!?!?!?!?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 02:00:54 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2019, 02:19:48 pm »
Good first episode.  Obviously a lot of set-up, but the Big Reveal that for which some of us have waited for 20+ years finally happened.  Putting an angry Sam in the middle of that was a great touch.

My predication is that the Night King really isn't all that interested in taking Winterfell.  I think there will be a diversionary attack there, while he heads to his real goal in the South.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2019, 08:12:32 pm »
Good first episode.  Obviously a lot of set-up, but the Big Reveal that for which some of us have waited for 20+ years finally happened.  Putting an angry Sam in the middle of that was a great touch.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Maybe it is just me,but I like Angry Sam. IMO,he is WAAAAY too intelligent to have been kept in the background all this time. Let him blossom and become a tactical leader.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 03:47:08 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2019, 01:17:45 am »
@Maj. Bill Martin

Maybe it is just me,but I like Angry Sam. IMO,he is WAAAAY too intelligent to have been kept in the background all this time. Let him blossom and because a tactical leader.

Sam is definitely bright, but I'm reminded a bit of the line spoken by Edward Longshanks in Braveheart at the prospect of sending his effeminate son to represent the Kingdom at a meeting:  "The mere sight of him is likely to induce our enemies to invade the entire kingdom!"  Dude doesn't really seem to have the "leadership" gene.

But it was really nice to see him shaking with anger, and basically encouraging Jon to overthrow Danaerys.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2019, 03:49:46 am »
Sam is definitely bright, but I'm reminded a bit of the line spoken by Edward Longshanks in Braveheart at the prospect of sending his effeminate son to represent the Kingdom at a meeting:  "The mere sight of him is likely to induce our enemies to invade the entire kingdom!"  Dude doesn't really seem to have the "leadership" gene.

But it was really nice to see him shaking with anger, and basically encouraging Jon to overthrow Danaerys.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Strategists and tacticians are rarely,if ever,seen on the field of battle.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2019, 01:47:34 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

Strategists and tacticians are rarely,if ever,seen on the field of battle.

Well, tacticians generally are.  You can't control medieval troops tactically unless you're there to control them.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2019, 06:42:20 pm »
Well, tacticians generally are.  You can't control medieval troops tactically unless you're there to control them.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Well,I guess that depends on how you define "the field of battle". Historically,the tacticians were in a cluster around the nobility in the rear that controlled the movement of their army,and they were only "on the field of battle" when they were losing and being overran. They would decide what to do,and sent out messengers on foot or on horseback to relay their orders to the advancing troops.

Truth to tell,it still works that way. You never even see a Major or a Lt Col on a active battlefield unless something has gone horribly wrong. Actual fighting is for 0-3's and below.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2019, 10:46:03 pm »
Saw this today, it made me laugh:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Let it burn.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2019, 04:15:10 pm »
Heh -- that's pretty awesome.  I wonder how much they paid for the rights to use that song.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2019, 01:21:53 pm »
Kind of underwhelmed by that second episode.  Had a very paint-by-numbers, fangirl sensibility to it.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2019, 02:16:14 pm »
Kind of underwhelmed by that second episode.  Had a very paint-by-numbers, fangirl sensibility to it.

@Maj. Bill Martin

I was underwhealmed by the first episode,and thought this one was better. Not great,mind you,but better. Then again,the character played by Massie Williams is one of my favorite characters. So is the huge redheaded guy that has the hots for the giant blonde woman. I pretty much like any episode either are in.

Hell,I am a HUGE fan of the opening,and start getting excited when I see the cities popping up and coming into place.

Even IF this entire last season were to suck,which would be a tragedy,GoT has still got to be THE best series ever created.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2019, 04:19:09 pm »
@sneakypete

Oh no question.  I just go back as a book fan a very long way, so I'm inevitably going to grouse about episodes not drawn from the text.  GRRM's writing is masterful.  Show is still great, though.

And I also love Tormund and his "worst pickup line ever" soliloquy.  Guy actually thought that claiming he'd suckled at a giant's teat for months would make him more attractive to Brienne.  Just awesome.

And Maisie Williams is a very good actress...but seeing her naked creeped me out.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2019, 12:01:45 am »
@sneakypete

Oh no question.  I just go back as a book fan a very long way, so I'm inevitably going to grouse about episodes not drawn from the text.  GRRM's writing is masterful.  Show is still great, though.

I bought the boxed set after watching the few few episodes,and it's still sealed in the original plastic. I think I will rewatch it all again before reading the books. I hate ruining a good thing for no good reason,and will always have the books to read.

And I also love Tormund and his "worst pickup line ever" soliloquy.  Guy actually thought that claiming he'd suckled at a giant's teat for months would make him more attractive to Brienne.  Just awesome.

And the funny part is I think it is working on her, They are definitely birds of a feather.  His job is to get her to realize it.

And Maisie Williams is a very good actress.

She was so good as a little kid it was a little bit freaky. So was Bran. Not to mention the blind kid that played the mad king. It has been said that people would recognize him on the street and throw things at him and call him names

..but seeing her naked creeped me out.

Well,I was horrified to think I was going to be freaked out,but it was just a little bit of ass,and some side boob. No big deal,and best of all,no rolling around and grunting on the robes. I would have had to cut the tv off if that had happened.

I was a little surprised to see she is a bubble-butt,though.  I had no idea she had any shape at all under the boys clothes she wears all the time.

It will be interesting to see if this sudden interest in sex will calm her down some,or make her into a mass murderer. We all know sex can go either way,and she kinda likes to kill people.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2019, 02:05:34 am »
And Maisie Williams is a very good actress...but seeing her naked creeped me out.

I think she was wearing some skin-tight flesh-colored outfit, considering the scars.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2019, 07:46:44 pm »
I think she was wearing some skin-tight flesh-colored outfit, considering the scars.
I dunno..looked like very real skin to me.  Scars would have been just makeup.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2019, 12:44:02 am »
I dunno..looked like very real skin to me.  Scars would have been just makeup.

@Hoodat @Maj. Bill Martin

FWIW,I saw her on a talk show a day or two after the episode,and she said  when the directors told her about the scene they wanted to shoot,they told her it was her choice how much she wanted to show. I think she made a VERY wise choice career wise by limiting it to a VERY brief glimpse of part of her butt,and a little side boob. She was announcing to the world that she is no longer a little girl,but not willing to show more than necessary for the role.

Also,I think she is 22 in real life now,so it's not like she is a child even if we all see her that way.

If she keeps her wits about her,she is going to have a VERY successful career as an actress. She's smart and she has the skills.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2019, 12:44:40 pm »
@Hoodat @Maj. Bill Martin

FWIW,I saw her on a talk show a day or two after the episode,and she said  when the directors told her about the scene they wanted to shoot,they told her it was her choice how much she wanted to show. I think she made a VERY wise choice career wise by limiting it to a VERY brief glimpse of part of her butt,and a little side boob. She was announcing to the world that she is no longer a little girl,but not willing to show more than necessary for the role.

Also,I think she is 22 in real life now,so it's not like she is a child even if we all see her that way.

If she keeps her wits about her,she is going to have a VERY successful career as an actress. She's smart and she has the skills.

Right -- there's really no objective argument that it was improper -- it's just that so many of us remember her as a kid, she still looks young, so it seemed creepy to some of us.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2019, 02:28:23 pm »
Right -- there's really no objective argument that it was improper -- it's just that so many of us remember her as a kid, she still looks young, so it seemed creepy to some of us.

@Maj. Bill Martin

I don't mind admitting I was truly horrified there for a moment when I thought she might get buck-nekked and roll around in the furs. Even reached for my remote to turn it off if it started to happen.

Stupid,given that I don't really know this woman,and that she IS a woman,but it was still a very real reaction. We watch these kids grow  up in our living rooms,and we come to think they are family and want to protect them.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2019, 01:18:34 pm »
So what are the odds that the Night King raises thw dead in the Winterfell crypts?

And why, if the NK is just after Bran, don't they just send Bran to Bear Island?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2019, 01:02:38 pm »
Wow.  Well, visually, that was just incredible.  Haven't seen anything that good even in movies.  Did think there were some kind of questionable plot issues, but just taken on its own merits, it was visually stunning, with great music. @sneakypete @Hoodat

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2019, 01:19:10 pm »
So what are the odds that the Night King raises thw dead in the Winterfell crypts?

And why, if the NK is just after Bran, don't they just send Bran to Bear Island?

@Maj. Bill Martin

The NK is no longer after Bran and is not going to be raising the dead from anywhere. He was killed by Araya (the Massie Williams character) at episode end last night.

That tiny little queen with the attitude was also killed,while killing a giant that had turned. Hated to see someone as spunky as her die.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2019, 01:21:36 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

The NK is no longer after Bran and is not going to be raising the dead from anywhere. He was killed by Araya (the Massie Williams character) at episode end last night.

That tiny little queen with the attitude was also killed,while killing a giant that had turned. Hated to see someone as spunky as her die.

@sneakypete

I wrote the post to which you were responding on Friday, before last night's episode.  Did guess the raising of the dead in the crypt correctly, though I think that was a fairly common prediction.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:22:29 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2019, 01:29:45 pm »
I think I mentioned I don’t care for the show but then the only episode I saw was the infamous Red Wedding. I shut it off. Too grotesque
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2019, 02:39:56 pm »
I think I mentioned I don’t care for the show but then the only episode I saw was the infamous Red Wedding. I shut it off. Too grotesque

Yeah, showing the pregnant woman being killed was probably the single most disturbing thing on the show.  Gladly, the people who did that all ended up getting killed in the end.