Author Topic: Game of Thrones Thread  (Read 46135 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Game of Thrones Thread
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2019, 02:31:59 pm »
Damn has the writing on this show gone downhill....

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2019, 02:41:20 pm »
And...that's a wrap!

What did you guys think?  I thought it was a pretty good episode, and didn't mind where all the characters "ended up."  The two things that still make zero sense to me:

1)  It seems like Westeros lacks a concept of permanency.  After seeing the Dothraki and Unsullied both basically obliterated in the Battle of Winterfell, there were far more of them than there had any right to be at the Battle for Kings Landing, and even more of them than last night.  They apparently reproduce at a remarkable rate.  And then after King's Landing was basically destroyed in the last episode, it looked remarkably pristine in this one.   Jaime and Cersei buried under just a small pile of rocks, when we saw the entire building come crashing down on them last episode...that stuff made no sense.

2) The Dothraki and Unsullied, who quickly murdered anyone who had surrendered after the battle, inexplicably kept both Tyrion and Jon alive for weeks.  By any logic at all, they should have killed Jon immediately after he killed Danaerys.  The only thing that kept him alive was some bodacious plot armor.

Thoughts?

@kevindavis @sneakypete @Hoodat @Ghost Bear

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2019, 02:57:29 pm »
And...that's a wrap!

What did you guys think?  I thought it was a pretty good episode, and didn't mind where all the characters "ended up."  The two things that still make zero sense to me:

1)  It seems like Westeros lacks a concept of permanency.  After seeing the Dothraki and Unsullied both basically obliterated in the Battle of Winterfell, there were far more of them than there had any right to be at the Battle for Kings Landing, and even more of them than last night.  They apparently reproduce at a remarkable rate.  And then after King's Landing was basically destroyed in the last episode, it looked remarkably pristine in this one.   Jaime and Cersei buried under just a small pile of rocks, when we saw the entire building come crashing down on them last episode...that stuff made no sense.

2) The Dothraki and Unsullied, who quickly murdered anyone who had surrendered after the battle, inexplicably kept both Tyrion and Jon alive for weeks.  By any logic at all, they should have killed Jon immediately after he killed Danaerys.  The only thing that kept him alive was some bodacious plot armor.

Thoughts?

@kevindavis @sneakypete @Hoodat @Ghost Bear

I thought it was OK. Truth be told, I had low expectations for the final episode.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2019, 04:20:06 pm »
Eh, it was OK. It didn't end like I was expecting, but there's nothing wrong with that. I read a comment elsewhere that it felt like the last 30 minutes of "The Return of the King" (the last movie in the Lord of the Rings trilogy) and I kind of agree with that.

I guess my main feeling after watching it was, "Well, that's done. What's next?"  :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2019, 05:43:57 pm »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #155 on: May 20, 2019, 10:57:16 pm »
Happy to say I never devoted a single second to watching this series, especially with such nice folks as this in the cast:
Kit Harington tells ‘Game of Thrones’ haters to ‘go f–k themselves’
By Rob Bailey-Millado
May 20, 2019 | 2:06pm

Kit Harington saw your criticism of the “Game of Thrones” finale coming — and he’s got a little message for you.

The actor who made Jon Snow an indelible piece of pop culture history admits to feeling “quite defiant” in the face of relentless fan backlash about the HBO hit’s final season.

“Whatever critic spends half an hour writing about this season and makes their judgement on it, in my head they can go f–k themselves,” he tells Esquire. “Because I know how much work was put into this.” ...

Benioff and Weiss are taking quite the digital drubbing over what diehard fans consider a lazy last effort. The backlash started brewing with complaints about the too-dark-to-see Battle of Winterfell and gained steam right up until “Coffeegate” — when a Starbucks-like coffee cup was accidentally left in a scene.

The digital dragging reached its boiling point when a promo image in which Jaime Lannister’s (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) severed right hand appeared to have miraculously grown back leaked online — and outraged viewers went in hard. ...
Full story
 :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2019, 12:16:19 am »
My thoughts is this:

It seems that the producers didn't give a damn about the show this season (Watter bottle and the Starbucks cup)
It seems that the writers didn't give a damn about the show this season
It seems that the actors/actresses didn't give a damn about the show this season.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2019, 02:49:17 am »
And...that's a wrap!

1)  It seems like Westeros lacks a concept of permanency.  After seeing the Dothraki and Unsullied both basically obliterated in the Battle of Winterfell, there were far more of them than there had any right to be at the Battle for Kings Landing, and even more of them than last night. 

They apparently reproduce at a remarkable rate.

@Maj Bill Martin

Especially when you consider they have supposedly all been neutered so that all they wanted to do was fight and die.  Then again,it is a freaking tv show made for entertainment,not a documentary.

And then after King's Landing was basically destroyed in the last episode, it looked remarkably pristine in this one.   Jaime and Cersei buried under just a small pile of rocks, when we saw the entire building come crashing down on them last episode...that stuff made no sense.

Well,there is often no rhyme nor reason for things like that. There just isn't any way to guess how deeply they would be buried unless maybe you were right there watching the rocks or blocks fall on them.

Thoughts?

Yeah,the Boss Lady with the white hair and the big-ass fire-breathing dragon who thinks she is his mama was in charge of that decision,and who is going to ignore her orders? I've never been real big on following orders,but you can bet your ass I would follow hers to the letter!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2019, 02:56:50 am »

I thought it was OK. Truth be told, I had low expectations for the final episode.

@kevindavis

Me too,but primarily because it WAS the ending,and no matter what they wrote,it would be a disappointment because the series was (temporarily) ending,and it would also be impossible to top some of the earlier episodes,like the wedding where so many favorites were murdered,for example.

BTW,I wrote "temporarily" for a couple of reason. One is a new season is going to start 2 years from now (according to the writers),but I honestly thing HBO is going to end up waving checks in their faces with some VERY big numbers,and it might start sooner. Face it,GoT made mega-bucks for HBO by drawing in people who eventually watched other things,also. No way are they going to give this up for a year if they can help it.

Also,another personal reason it is off the air "temporarily". I start watching Season 1,Episode 1 again this week.  I seem to pick up on stuff these days on the second viewing that I missed on the first go-around. Not that I am getting old,or anything,mind you. Still as sharp as a something.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2019, 03:03:25 am »

@The Ghost

Ok,you and I disagree on many,many things,but a Rocky Horror (one of my all-time favorite movies) version of GoT is something I would pay big bucks to stand in line and buy a ticket for.

Tim Curry may be fat and a little long in the tooth now,but given his guest appearances on shows like Criminal Minds,he ain't missing a beat when it comes to acting. I think not giving him an Oscar for Rocky Horror borders on being criminal. He was flat-out robbed,and he was robbed again if he didn't get a Tony or 2 for his serial killer role on Criminal Minds. Probably two of the best dramatic criminal episodes that have ever been aired on tv. If you haven't seen them,do a web search using Tim Curry and Criminal Minds as keywords,and prepare to be impressed. He scared the hell out of me by smiling.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #160 on: May 21, 2019, 03:08:41 am »
Happy to say I never devoted a single second to watching this series, especially with such nice folks as this in the cast:Full story
 :shrug:

@mountaineer

Nobody's loss but your own. It's called "drama".

The backlash started brewing with complaints about the too-dark-to-see Battle of Winterfell

I'm with them on this. I was thinking "What the HELL were they thinking to stoop to this nickel and dime sub-special effects on a mult-million dollar show?" It really pissed me off. As for the other stuff,I don't like all of it and wish some had been done differently,but nobody ever asked me to be a special effects guy for GoT.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #161 on: May 21, 2019, 03:11:29 am »
@The Ghost

Ok,you and I disagree on many,many things,but a Rocky Horror (one of my all-time favorite movies) version of GoT is something I would pay big bucks to stand in line and buy a ticket for.

Tim Curry may be fat and a little long in the tooth now,but given his guest appearances on shows like Criminal Minds,he ain't missing a beat when it comes to acting. I think not giving him an Oscar for Rocky Horror borders on being criminal. He was flat-out robbed,and he was robbed again if he didn't get a Tony or 2 for his serial killer role on Criminal Minds. Probably two of the best dramatic criminal episodes that have ever been aired on tv. If you haven't seen them,do a web search using Tim Curry and Criminal Minds as keywords,and prepare to be impressed. He scared the hell out of me by smiling.

@sneakypete   You really need to light'n the f uck up.  It was a joke.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2019, 03:14:04 am »
My thoughts is this:

It seems that the producers didn't give a damn about the show this season (Watter bottle and the Starbucks cup)
It seems that the writers didn't give a damn about the show this season
It seems that the actors/actresses didn't give a damn about the show this season.
@kevindavis

I agree. I guess everybody involved was just tired after 8 years of it,knew it was the last season,and were all out thinking about and looking for new gigs.

Can't say that I blame them. Truth to tell,you just KNOW some  of them had to have turned down sweet deals to act in other movies or tv shows if they would leave GoT early,and were tempted because of the very real danger of being type cast.  Because of this,I'm not going to hold this season against them. Hard as this may be to believe,we all have lives to live away from the tv.

And here comes the hate mail in 1...,2,,,,3.....

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #163 on: May 21, 2019, 03:15:52 am »
@sneakypete   You really need to light'n the f uck up.  It was a joke.

@The Ghost

If you believe what you wrote,YOU are the one that needs to lighten up.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #164 on: May 21, 2019, 03:20:31 am »
@The Ghost

If you believe what you wrote,YOU are the one that needs to lighten up.

No Ass hole you need to get a grip.  I did not write any friking thing.  Go back and look.  It was a Meme.  A joke. 

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #165 on: May 21, 2019, 04:08:01 am »
No Ass hole you need to get a grip.  I did not write any friking thing.  Go back and look.  It was a Meme.  A joke.

@The Ghost

You posted it,Bozo. Which,for the purpose of conversation on a political web site,is the same as creating it.

Going senile?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #166 on: May 21, 2019, 01:41:56 pm »
Nobody's loss but your own. It's called "drama".
Perhaps, but it's not a genre I like, and the older I get, the less interest in devoting myself to any TV series.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2019, 02:00:23 pm »
Perhaps, but it's not a genre I like, and the older I get, the less interest in devoting myself to any TV series.

I have always been a fan of this type of Genre that is why I watched this show legally for at least four years..  I used to be a pirate.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2019, 02:14:11 pm »
I got HBO just to watch this final season of Game of Thrones, but I started watching HBO's new Chernobyl miniseries, which started a few weeks ago and has two more episodes to go.

It is ridiculously good.  Gives a fantastic look inside not only the disaster itself, but the awfulness of the underlying Soviet system.  That acting, set design, makeup, etc. all is phenomenal.
The whole thing is just amazingly well done and one of the best things I've seen on TV.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2019, 10:48:52 pm »
I got HBO just to watch this final season of Game of Thrones, but I started watching HBO's new Chernobyl miniseries, which started a few weeks ago and has two more episodes to go.

It is ridiculously good.  Gives a fantastic look inside not only the disaster itself, but the awfulness of the underlying Soviet system.  That acting, set design, makeup, etc. all is phenomenal.
The whole thing is just amazingly well done and one of the best things I've seen on TV.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Thanks for the reminder. I have been meaning to watch that series,and then forgot before I could bookmark it.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2019, 12:15:49 am »

Thank you for the heads up. I thought it was an anti-Nuclear power miniseries.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2019, 01:31:42 pm »
Thank you for the heads up. I thought it was an anti-Nuclear power miniseries.

Not really.  It is a stinging indictment of totalitarianism, though.

I'll be interested to see what you guys think about it.  It is somewhat unpleasant to watch at times because it was such a tragedy, and the folks who made the movie were as faithful to the actual events as they could possibly be.  They even do a podcast after each show where they talk about any changes they made from the actual story.  They obviously can't show everyone, so there are a couple of composite characters.  But the main characters are all real people, and they were really accurate in terms of the science, and what actually happened with the particular workers inside.  They got the names all right, the events...it's really stunning.

Some of the scenes in the third episode in particular are simply haunting.  I honestly think it's about as close to perfect television as you can get.  Only moments of levity so far have been provided by the coal miners.  Tough guys who really don't care what anyone else thinks or says.  They were accurately depicted as being one group in Soviet Russia and even the Party was leery of crossing because of the country's dependence on coal, and therefore the miners.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:37:38 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #172 on: May 25, 2019, 09:20:13 pm »
Not really.  It is a stinging indictment of totalitarianism, though.

I'll be interested to see what you guys think about it.  It is somewhat unpleasant to watch at times because it was such a tragedy, and the folks who made the movie were as faithful to the actual events as they could possibly be.  They even do a podcast after each show where they talk about any changes they made from the actual story.  They obviously can't show everyone, so there are a couple of composite characters.  But the main characters are all real people, and they were really accurate in terms of the science, and what actually happened with the particular workers inside.  They got the names all right, the events...it's really stunning.

Some of the scenes in the third episode in particular are simply haunting.  I honestly think it's about as close to perfect television as you can get.  Only moments of levity so far have been provided by the coal miners.  Tough guys who really don't care what anyone else thinks or says.  They were accurately depicted as being one group in Soviet Russia and even the Party was leery of crossing because of the country's dependence on coal, and therefore the miners.

Well after watching the first two epsidoes of Chernoybl and now I'm watching the third episode. It is very good. I'm surprised HBO allowed this miniseries to be made. The Soviets screwed up big time.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2019, 12:19:40 am »

Well after watching the first two epsidoes of Chernoybl and now I'm watching the third episode. It is very good. I'm surprised HBO allowed this miniseries to be made. The Soviets screwed up big time.

The scenes of the sick firemen and techniciansinthat Moscow hospital were incredibly sad.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2019, 12:35:52 am »
The scenes of the sick firemen and techniciansinthat Moscow hospital were incredibly sad.

It was.