Author Topic: Game of Thrones Thread  (Read 46172 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Game of Thrones Thread
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2019, 02:45:59 pm »
@sneakypete

You mentioned above that you didn't want to spoil a good thing by reading the books first.  You should know that the show has actually passed up the books, and though the show will finish in a few weeks, there are still two more books to go.  So there really isn't anything to spoil.

Books are more dense than the show -- lots of plots/subplots that the show overlooked.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2019, 03:33:25 pm »
I wonder how the rest of the kingdom is going to react to the mad queen since she lied about helping fight helping the NK.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2019, 06:34:11 pm »
I wonder how the rest of the kingdom is going to react to the mad queen since she lied about helping fight helping the NK.

I really have zero idea what's going to happen from this point forward.  I don't think the writers are very...predictable at this point.

I do think we'll finally see the long-predicted "Cleganebowl", where Sandor Clegane and his monstrous and mostly-dead brother Gregor finally have it out.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2019, 06:36:55 pm »
Here's a competent -- though somewhat tongue in cheek -- military critique of the defense plan for the Battle of Winterfell:

THE BATTLE OF WINTERFELL: A TACTICAL ANALYSIS

https://www.wired.com/story/game-of-thrones-winterfell-battle-tactical-analysis/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2019, 10:33:07 pm »
I think I mentioned I don’t care for the show but then the only episode I saw was the infamous Red Wedding. I shut it off. Too grotesque

@Freya

Yeah,I can see where that would be a hard place to start.

BTW,WTH did you start viewing a show that has been on for years and not start at the beginning?

To ME,being able to view a series by starting in the middle and understand what is going on is a PRIME tip it is too stupid to watch.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2019, 10:36:38 pm »
@sneakypete

You mentioned above that you didn't want to spoil a good thing by reading the books first.  You should know that the show has actually passed up the books, and though the show will finish in a few weeks, there are still two more books to go.  So there really isn't anything to spoil.

Books are more dense than the show -- lots of plots/subplots that the show overlooked.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Yes,I know,but to make sure I don't spoil it for me,I want to watch the entire tv series twice before I even open one of the books. That way I will enjoy the surprises in the books and will have gotten the maximum enjoyment from viewing the series.

BTW,does anyone know when the prequel is supposed to start airing,or any details about the era it will be in other than "a lot earlier"?

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2019, 12:55:29 am »
@Freya

Yeah,I can see where that would be a hard place to start.

BTW,WTH did you start viewing a show that has been on for years and not start at the beginning?

To ME,being able to view a series by starting in the middle and understand what is going on is a PRIME tip it is too stupid to watch.

I was at a neighbor’s house and they had that on. That’s how I saw that episode. Weird. @sneakypete
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2019, 02:17:31 am »
I was at a neighbor’s house and they had that on. That’s how I saw that episode. Weird. @sneakypete

@Freya

No one has ever mistaken me for Miss  Manners,but isn't it considered to be rude to watch television when you have company over?

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2019, 01:38:23 pm »
@Freya

No one has ever mistaken me for Miss  Manners,but isn't it considered to be rude to watch television when you have company over?

It was my upstairs neighbors who had just moved in. They invited me over for coffee and cake, but they had the TV on. They are mid twenties maybe they didn’t know better, because the husband texted a bit too. If I’m entertaining all phones go into the shoebox. I left because
1. The show was too gory.
2. They are vegans and the carrot cake was not eatable.
(Which is the biggest problem? Cake!!!!)
@sneakypete

8889whatkitty 8888spinning cat 888heartkitty
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2019, 04:46:18 pm »
@sneakypete @kevindavis @Hoodat

What did you guys think of the last episode?  To me...it was kind of weak.  Lots of stuff felt rushed, or didn't make a lot of sense.  Saw this critique that pretty much matched my own feelings:

The 10 Biggest Problems With Last Night's 'Game Of Thrones' (Other Than That Starbucks Cup)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2019/05/06/the-10-biggest-problems-with-last-nights-game-of-thrones-other-than-that-starbucks-cup/#472ed8524b42

The Bronn scene made absolutely no sense at all, and the stuff about the dragons, Aegon, and the tactical stuff was dead-on as well.  This next episode is supposed to be another huge battle, so hopefully they'll get it right.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2019, 04:54:50 pm »

What did you guys think of the last episode?  To me...it was kind of weak.  Lots of stuff felt rushed, or didn't make a lot of sense.  Saw this critique that pretty much matched my own feelings:

The 10 Biggest Problems With Last Night's 'Game Of Thrones' (Other Than That Starbucks Cup)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2019/05/06/the-10-biggest-problems-with-last-nights-game-of-thrones-other-than-that-starbucks-cup/#472ed8524b42

The Bronn scene made absolutely no sense at all, and the stuff about the dragons, Aegon, and the tactical stuff was dead-on as well.  This next episode is supposed to be another huge battle, so hopefully they'll get it right.

To be honest I'm not surprised that the episode was weak. I think this week is more of a setup and next week is the last battle. I'm thinking that Jon will get the Throne

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2019, 05:19:43 pm »

To be honest I'm not surprised that the episode was weak. I think this week is more of a setup and next week is the last battle. I'm thinking that Jon will get the Throne

I don't have a problem with setup episodes as long as the setup isn't stupid.  But a bunch of that stuff from Sunday just wasn't good even as setup.

Like Bronn....so here's a guy nobody knows, who just walks right into into private chambers in Winterfell castle with a big crossbow.  And nobody stops him?  No guards, nothing?  Just could just as easily have been an assassin out to kill Jon, Danaerys, or Sansa, and likely succeeded.

Then he makes a threat, demands payment in the future, and just...leaves.  He has absolutely no ability to force future payment, and if Jaime or Tyrion had gone after him and called for guards, he'd have been dead.  It was just about the dumbest move ever by a guy who generally has been about nothing but his own self-interest.  But the writers did it because Bronn was a loose end who needed to be tied up for the series to be complete, so they got him out of the way with something stupid.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2019, 05:23:28 pm »

The part that made no sense to me at all was the head on attack of the ships by the dragons. Even an 8 year old playing war knows to NEVER attack the enemy from the front if you can attack them from the flank or the rear,and dragons can FLY! This means she could have flown in from the rear and set fire to the ships without getting big bolts fired at her and the dragons.

Or,just set them on fire from directly above them. No way in hell could they elevate to 90 degrees and fire at a moving target.

Also,there is no way in HELL those guys on the ships could have rewound,reloaded,and fired what is basically big-ass crossbows that fast. Hell,it would take a team of men with large levers to just cock the damn things.

And all this comes into play if you can bring yourselves to believe that a boat at sea with a big-ass crossbolt bolted to it's deck can actually fire big-ass arrows accurately enough to hit moving targets.  You would have a better shot at picking all 6 Power Ball numbers.

Yeah,I do realize this is fantasy.  If it weren't,there would be no dragons,but if you are going to take it that far,why not just zap the dragons with a raygun?

Crap like this really ruins it for me. I don't mind suspending logic to move the show along,but there are limits. If they needed to kill the dragons,they should have come up with a plan to poison them,or sometime similar.

The Bronn scene made absolutely no sense at all,

Bron is being set up as a religious icon in the future.

and the stuff about the dragons, Aegon, and the tactical stuff was dead-on as well.

We clearly disagree on this one. The whole big-ass crossbow bolted to a ships deck was a brain fart from day one.

This next episode is supposed to be another huge battle, so hopefully they'll get it right.

I hope so too. Otherwise it will spoil my enjoyment of the re-runs,that starts next week. Then I can read the books.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2019, 08:38:52 pm »

Good list.  The whole Kings Landing scene made no sense at all.  First of all, it doesn't even look like Kings Landing.  Second, they could have brought up the Golden Company from behind and trapped Daenerys and her Unsullied against the gate.  And how was her army able to travel so quickly from Winterfell to Kings Landing in so short a time?  The tactics as a whole have been awful.

And I share the author's disgust at Jaime and Brienne hooking up.  It made zero sense, especially for Jaime who had never once 'cheated' on Cersei.

I have been rather disappointed with all four episodes so far this final season.  Next week, we get to see a replay of the Ramsay Bolton-John Snow "Battle of the Bastards", except this one will be called the "Battle of the Bitches".

Prediction:  Cersei ends up getting killed by Euron Greyjoy.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2019, 09:34:02 pm »
Good list.  The whole Kings Landing scene made no sense at all.  First of all, it doesn't even look like Kings Landing.  Second, they could have brought up the Golden Company from behind and trapped Daenerys and her Unsullied against the gate.  And how was her army able to travel so quickly from Winterfell to Kings Landing in so short a time?  The tactics as a whole have been awful.

And I share the author's disgust at Jaime and Brienne hooking up.  It made zero sense, especially for Jaime who had never once 'cheated' on Cersei.

I have been rather disappointed with all four episodes so far this final season.  Next week, we get to see a replay of the Ramsay Bolton-John Snow "Battle of the Bastards", except this one will be called the "Battle of the Bitches".

Prediction:  Cersei ends up getting killed by Euron Greyjoy.

So many different ways it could go.  I could see Arya actually trying to kill Danaerys.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2019, 09:43:08 pm »
We clearly disagree on this one. The whole big-ass crossbow bolted to a ships deck was a brain fart from day one.

I think you read me wrong -- I agree completely with you.  There is some evidence that some light siege weapons were mounted on some ships in the middle ages, particularly by the Byzantines.  But for the reasons you gave, they weren't all that accurate or effective.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2019, 03:52:40 am »
So many different ways it could go.  I could see Arya actually trying to kill Danaerys.

@Maj. Bill Martin

I can see her actually doing it while wearing a "face" so someone else gets blamed. She wants her sister in charge as Master of the Universe.

If the writers do this,they pretty much have to kill off John Snow.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 03:53:30 am by sneakypete »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2019, 11:54:20 am »
@Maj. Bill Martin

I can see her actually doing it while wearing a "face" so someone else gets blamed. She wants her sister in charge as Master of the Universe.

If the writers do this,they pretty much have to kill off John Snow.

@sneakypete

Wouldn't she be okay with Jon being in charge?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2019, 02:37:36 pm »
@sneakypete

Wouldn't she be okay with Jon being in charge?

@Maj. Bill Martin

Sure,but I ain't so sure about how happy Jon would be with her whacking his sweetie/sister.

Truth to tell,what would have made the most sense to me,especially given that the show is ending,would be to have Jon marry Dany,and let her rule her half of the civilized world,and he rule the north. One world,joint rulers,world peace.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2019, 05:55:57 pm »
@sneakypete

@Maj. Bill Martin

Sure,but I ain't so sure about how happy Jon would be with her whacking his sweetie/sister.

Truth to tell,what would have made the most sense to me,especially given that the show is ending,would be to have Jon marry Dany,and let her rule her half of the civilized world,and he rule the north. One world,joint rulers,world peace.

When you say they each rule "half", do you mean that Jon rules Westeros, and she rules Essos?  Because I actually agree with that.  She is loved in Essos because she ended slavery there, and they basically worship her.  But nobody in Westeros gives two craps about that.  She should go back to where she is loved, because she just doesn't seem to fit in Westeros.

Of course, that would be one heck of a long distance relationship, and assuming Jon is okay with marrying his aunt....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2019, 12:26:53 am »
@sneakypete

When you say they each rule "half", do you mean that Jon rules Westeros, and she rules Essos?  Because I actually agree with that.  She is loved in Essos because she ended slavery there, and they basically worship her.  But nobody in Westeros gives two craps about that.  She should go back to where she is loved, because she just doesn't seem to fit in Westeros.

Of course, that would be one heck of a long distance relationship, and assuming Jon is okay with marrying his aunt....

Well,they do have dragons to reduce the travel time,and who says either has to spend all their time sitting on a throne? They can each have their Hand handle the day to day stuff,and send a raven if something hot comes up.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2019, 02:30:28 am »
What an episode..  Lesson of the day.. Don't p**s off anyone with a dragon.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2019, 01:26:48 pm »
My prediction: Gendry ends up as king.

And no matter what happens to Jon Snow (but he probably gets killed in a falling out with Daenerys), Arya kills Daenerys.
Let it burn.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2019, 01:45:45 pm »

And no matter what happens to Jon Snow (but he probably gets killed in a falling out with Daenerys), Arya kills Daenerys.

@Ghost Bear

I agree on that one. She is on a mission,and nobody ever accused her of being lacking in determination.

I think that in the end there is a good chance she will also either kill her sister,or her sister will have her killed. After all,her sister has turned into a nasty little bitch,and there will only be ONE "Queen of the Civilized World",and two sisters who could hold the title. Do the math.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:52:22 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2019, 01:51:08 pm »
My prediction: Gendry ends up as king.

I don't think there is going to be a King or Queen of the Seven Kingdoms when this is over.  King's Landing is destroyed, and there literally is no longer an Iron Throne.  I think it'll just go back to being seven Kingdoms rather than The Seven Kingdoms.

No idea what is going to happen with Danaerys.  Arya killed all the Freys, she killed the NK, so to have her kill Danaerys as well seems like...overkill?  (pun intended).  I could see nobody killing her, and her simply returning to Essos where she is loved rather than staying in Westeros where she essentially is hated.

Kind of curious what happens with Tyrion, though.  Truth is, nobody actually knows that Cersei is dead, and they should learn that Tyrion freed Jaime.  And, Jaime and Cersei very nearly did escape King's Landing.  So, I'm wondering if Danaerys could go full paranoid, believe that Cersei may have escaped and still be alive, and so seek to punish Tyrion.