Author Topic: Analysis: Regardless of 2016 Results, Texas GOP Still Enthralled by Cruz  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
DALLAS — A funny thing happens when you pack a political convention with one personality’s supporters: That personality gets more attention.

Ted Cruz, for perfectly sound reasons, packed the Republican Party of Texas convention with his own supporters. As of last week, he’s no longer a candidate for president of the United States, but he’s still the favorite here.

One measure: Gov. Greg Abbott and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick opened the convention with speeches, each hitting on some of their favorite issues and also trying to get conventioneers thinking about the general election fight ahead.

Ted Cruz was the biggest applause line either speaker got. You’d think he had been nominated or something.

Abbott talked first. He timed the release of his book — "Broken But Unbowed: The Fight to Fix a Broken America" — in sync with the convention. And he spoke of his proposal to call the states together to amend the U.S. Constitution, shifting power from the federal to the state governments. He also — without actually saying the word “Trump” — argued the Republican case against four more years of Democrats in the White House....

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/05/13/analysis-regardless-2016-results-texas-gop-still-t/
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:57:56 am by Sanguine »

geronl

If a Texan wanted snake-oil, we can make it ourselves.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
If a Texan wanted snake-oil, we can make it ourselves.

??

Offline Hank Rearden

If Hillary wins in November, would love to see Abbott, Cruz, Patrick, and Paxton lead the charge for Texas independence.
"The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans." - Gen. Robert E. Lee

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Just speculation on my part, but... if Ted Cruz announced that he would run for re-election to his Senate seat as a member of a third party (such as the Constitution Party) I wonder how well he would do?  Would he in fact win the election?   :pondering:
Let it burn.

geronl

??

We have lots of snakes! Good for BBQ!   :tongue2:

I knew someone wouldn't get that. eventually

geronl

Just speculation on my part, but... if Ted Cruz announced that he would run for re-election to his Senate seat as a member of a third party (such as the Constitution Party) I wonder how well he would do?  Would he in fact win the election?   :pondering:

The Constitution Party almost doesn't exist in Texas. It has no ballot status. If we can get a candidate for Railroad Commission this year 5% of the vote, it can get ballot access for the next 4 years or so.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
The Constitution Party almost doesn't exist in Texas. It has no ballot status. If we can get a candidate for Railroad Commission this year 5% of the vote, it can get ballot access for the next 4 years or so.

I thought the CP had done the work necessary to qualify for ballot access, but after doing some checking it seems you are correct. It's a shame they won't be on the ballot, IMHO.
Let it burn.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
We have lots of snakes! Good for BBQ!   :tongue2:

I knew someone wouldn't get that. eventually

And, it just had to be me.    888oops888

geronl

I thought the CP had done the work necessary to qualify for ballot access, but after doing some checking it seems you are correct. It's a shame they won't be on the ballot, IMHO.

They will need to gather signatures I think. They need to get a candidate for Railroad Commission and try to get 5% of the statewide vote that way.

Offline M1078

They will need to gather signatures I think. They need to get a candidate for Railroad Commission and try to get 5% of the statewide vote that way.

I would certainly vote for changing "Railroad Commission" to something else.
Former FR macnjac