Author Topic: Oldest American WWII vet celebrates 110th birthday with a cigar  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Over the last few months, Richard Overton has had to give up a few things. First, he gave up driving the Ford pickup he had owned for years. Then, after a bad bout with pneumonia in November, he eased up on drinking his beloved whiskey -- which, along with cigars, he calls his secret to long life.

But when you're the oldest World War II veteran in the country and you're turning 110, very few things can bring your mood down. On Wednesday, Overton celebrated his birthday surrounded by family, friends and admirers on the front lawn of his home in East Austin.

The Austin American-Statesman reports that he chomped happily on a cigar as family and friends, some calling him "Pop," hugged and congratulated him.

"How do I feel?" Overton said. "I feel good. I feel like I'm 50."

Full story here: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/13/oldest-american-wwii-vet-celebrates-110th-birthday-with-cigar.html

The Austin American-Statesman story that was the basis for the Fox News story, here: http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/countrys-oldest-wwii-veteran-austinite-richard-ove/nrLck/

Also, more pics and links to other stories about Mr. Overton at the second link.
Let it burn.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Oldest American WWII vet celebrates 110th birthday with a cigar
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 10:43:07 pm »
Wow. wonder what his secret is.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 11:03:11 pm »
Wow. wonder what his secret is.

Besides the whiskey, Cigars, faith in God.... :beer:

At 110, he will probably out live Trump!

Well one can hope can't he?  :)

Offline M1078

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 02:13:04 pm »
We had him as the guest of honor for Muster at Camp Mabry last year.
Former FR macnjac