Author Topic: Trump: Amazon CEO using Washington Post for political power  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/05/13/trump-says-washington-post-owner-bezos-has-huge-antitrust-problem.html?intcmp=hpbt2

Trump says Washington Post owner Bezos has 'huge antitrust problem'

"Every hour we're getting calls from reporters from The Washington Post asking ridiculous questions," Trump told Fox News' Sean Hannity. "And I will tell you, this is owned as a toy by Jeff Bezos ... Amazon is getting away with murder, tax-wise. He's using The Washington Post for power so that the politicians in Washington don't tax Amazon like they should be taxed."
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

rangerrebew

Re: Trump: Amazon CEO using Washington Post for political power
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 11:28:29 am »
WND EXCLUSIVE
WashPo explains its 20-man army dishing dirt on Trump
Amazon CEO's newspaper has secret about probes into Clinton's scandal-ridden past
Published: 14 hours ago

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos’ newspaper, the Washington Post, has an army of 20 reporters and researchers tasked specifically with scouring the life of Donald Trump – but while the publication claims it has just as many staffers investigating the past of Hillary Clinton, the newspaper’s recent headlines tell a different story.

As WND reported, Washington Post associate editor Bob Woodward told the National Association of Realtors Convention in Washington Wednesday: “There’s a lot we don’t know. We have 20 people working on Trump. We’re going to do a book. We’re doing articles about every phase of his life.”

Woodward said he has been investigating Trump’s real-estate deals in New York. “The New York real-estate world is more complex than the CIA,” he said.

He also claimed the Washington Post is seeking to get the “essence” of Hillary Clinton. But, despite an active FBI probe into the issue, Woodward dismissed concern about Hillary’s use of a private email server to send classified information, according to a report in the Washington Examiner.

Like the reporting you see here? Sign up for free news alerts from WND.com, America’s independent news network.

WND asked the Washington Post: “Exactly how large is the team your paper has tasked with thoroughly investigating Hillary Clinton’s background and associations? Are there at least 20 people tasked specifically with digging through her past and finding details in ‘every phase’ of her life?”

Washington Post Vice President of Communications and Events Kristine Coratti told WND that Woodward was referring to a large team of two-dozen reporters and researchers working on “a special book project” examining Trump’s life.

Why a book on Trump and not Hillary and her 22 biggest scandals?

image: http://www.wnd.com/files/2016/04/hillary_clinton3.jpg
Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton

“[W]e have years and years of reporting on Hillary Clinton to draw from, including her last presidential campaign, her time as secretary of state, and her position as U.S. senator,” Coratti explained. “Because Trump’s involvement in political life is far more limited, the Post newsroom decided to embark on a book as a special project. In order to complete the book in a timely fashion, reporters from throughout the newsroom have been assigned to work for a brief period on particular aspects of his life and career.”

Coratti claims the Post has the “same number of people” on staff investigating Trump and Clinton for its news coverage. She said the Post is planning a series on “the life and career of Hillary Clinton,” which “launches in just a few weeks.” Coratti wouldn’t provide any further details about the upcoming series.

So WND asked if she could point to any investigative stories on Hillary’s past that the Post team has published in the last month.

That’s when Coratti stopped responding to WND’s requests for comment.

WND reviewed the Washington Post’s headlines concerning Hillary from the last month and found the following news articles. Some read somewhat like campaign promotions (“Beyonce and Hillary Clinton, powerful women who’ve both made lemonade”), but none takes an investigative look into Hillary’s involvement in recent scandals involving “Emailgate,” the Clinton Foundation, her acceptance of nearly $75,000 from Justice Department employees while under FBI investigation, the recently released Office of Independent Counsel internal memos showing Hillary was “guilty of criminal fraud” in the Whitewater affair or the numerous women from Bill Clinton’s past who are filling news headlines with their claims that Hillary used threats, violence and intimidation to silence them.

Rather, recent Washington Post headlines concerning Hillary include the following:

“Hillary Clinton to support Federal Reserve change sought by liberals”
    “Hillary says she supports statehood for DC”
    “Hillary Clinton wants you to know what she thinks about animals”
    “Hillary Clinton launches campaign team for DC primary”
    “Hillary Clinton: ‘Trump’s economic plans: if he wins, you lose”
    “The conservative media’s obsession with Hillary Clinton’s coughing”
    “Where Democratic voters don’t like either Hillary Clinton OR Bernie Sanders”
    “If you want to buy Hillary Clinton’s old car, now’s your chance”
    “Clinton pledges that no family pays more than 10 percent of income on child care”
    “Clinton aide Cheryl Mills leaves FBI interview briefly after being asked about emails”
    “For Clinton, the general election is about married women. Starting in swing state Virginia”
    “Charles Koch suggests that another Clinton in the White House might be better than Trump or Cruz”
    “Hillary Clinton has hot sauce in her bag (for health reasons)”
    “Clinton’s wonky policies of fine-grained complexity contrast with rivals’ grandiose ideas”
    “The village that helped Hillary Clinton move past Bill’s infidelity”
    “Why is Hillary Clinton doing worse among whites now than in 2008? Racial attitudes.”
    “Beyonce and Hillary Clinton, powerful women who’ve both made lemonade”
    “Donald Trump’s chances against Hillary Clinton look far worse than Ted Cruz’s”
    “Donald Trump’s ridiculous claim that Hillary Clinton started the birther movement”

Bezos, CEO of retail giant Amazon, a Democratic Party donor and the world’s 19th wealthiest man, purchased the Washington Post in 2013 for $250 million.

Coratti said Bezos – chief of both the Post and Amazon – didn’t specifically order the Post’s Trump probes, despite the Washington Examiner report stating, “[Woodward] said that Bezos has urged the Post to run as many stories on Trump and the other candidates so that voters can’t say they didn’t know about the eventual president.”

She said, “Jeff [Bezos] has nothing to do with the decision [to] publish a Trump book or the Trump reporting. Those decisions are made by our newsroom.”

Like the reporting you see here? Sign up for free news alerts from WND.com, America’s independent news network.

image: http://www.wnd.com/files/2016/05/WaPo-Trump2.jpg
WaPo-Trump2

But Trump, possibly concerned that Bezos’ paper might publish pieces aimed at him, specifically accused the Seattle billionaire of buying the paper to increase his political influence.

“[Bezos] bought the Washington Post to have political influence,” Trump told supporters during a February rally in Fort Worth, Texas. “I gotta tell you, we have a different country than we used to have. He wanted political influence so that Amazon will benefit from it – that’s not right.”

Trump continued, “And believe me, if I become president, oh, do they have problems. They’re going to have such problems.”

Later in the same speech, Trump said, “When they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money.”

Watch video of Trump’s statements on the mainstream media and Jeff Bezos:

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2016/05/washpo-explains-its-20-man-army-dishing-dirt-on-trump/#AHFSWk73miDMMiQA.99

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 11:32:24 am »
Full interview from Fox News:
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4891453547001
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:53:54 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 11:37:02 am »
Paranoia strikes deep.  It destroyed Nixon and it will destroy Trump, and the GOP, if he wins.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 11:38:14 am »
But he's ok with foxnews.com carrying his water.

And people still defend this fool.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 11:42:18 am »
Also:

Trump accuses Bezos of using the Washington Post to avoid taxes

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/donald-trump-jeff-bezos-washington-post-223148

Trump: Jeff Bezos Is Using WashPo as a ‘Tool for Political Power’

http://www.mediaite.com/online/trump-jeff-bezos-is-using-washpo-as-a-tool-for-political-power/

Word salad warning ahead:

Or, in the candidate’s own words

Yeah. It’s interesting that you say that, because every hour we’re getting calls from reporters from the Washington Post asking ridiculous questions. And I will tell you. This is owned as a toy by Jeff Bezos who controls Amazon. Amazon is getting away with murder tax-wise. He’s using the Washington Post for power. So that the politicians in Washington don’t tax Amazon like they should be taxed. He’s getting absolutely away — he’s worried about me and I think he said that to somebody — it was in some article — where he thinks I would go after him for anti-trust. Because he’s got a huge anti-trust problem because he’s controlling so much. Amazon is controlling so much of what they’re doing. And what they’ve done is he bought this paper for practically nothing. And he’s using that as a tool for political power against me and against other people. And, I’ll tell you what, we can’t let him get away with it. So he’s got about 20 — 25 — I just heard they’re taking these really bad stories — I mean, they, you know, wrong, I wouldn’t even say bad. They’re wrong. And in many cases they have no proper information. And they’re putting them together, they’re slopping them together. And they’re gonna do a book. And the book is gonna be all false stuff because the stories are so wrong. And the reporters — I mean, one after another — so what they’re doing is he’s using that as a political instrument to try and stop anti-trust, which he thinks I believe he’s anti-trust, in other words, what he’s got is a monopoly. And he wants to make sure I don’t get in. So, it’s one of those things. But I’ll tell you what. I’ll tell you what. What he’s doing’s wrong. And the people are being — the whole system is rigged. You see a case like that. The whole system is rigged. Whether it’s Hillary or whether it’s Bezos.

It is true that Amazon has a court case pending with the IRS and is also under scrutiny of the EU over how they organized their international tax structure in particular their valuation of intercompany agreements related to the operation they opened in Luxembourg and allegedly used to avoid paying US and EU taxes. I am not sure whether what Amazon has done is illegal or not, but remember that tax evasion is a crime, tax avoidance is not.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/18/revealed-project-goldcrest-amazon-avoid-huge-sums-tax

But also remember that Trump himself has said “I pay as little tax as possible”.  No wonder he says he will not release his tax returns…..

Also Trump seems to not understand what anti-trust means or the meaning of a monopoly with respect to the separate issue of US corporate taxation of companies that operate internationally. Most companies that operate internationally structure their subsidiaries in such a way as to avoid double corporate taxation.

It sounds to me very much like a not so veiled threat from Trump to Bezos – “print anything about me in the WP that I don’t like and when I’m POTUS I’ll go after your company Amazon using the full force of the government and go after you for anti-trust”.

Offline Neverdul

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 11:44:43 am »
There is a thing called Freedom of Speech ...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 11:49:45 am »
Paranoia strikes deep.  It destroyed Nixon and it will destroy Trump, and the GOP, if he wins.

Just because he is paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't all out to get him...
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 11:52:16 am »
Also:

Trump accuses Bezos of using the Washington Post to avoid taxes

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/donald-trump-jeff-bezos-washington-post-223148

Trump: Jeff Bezos Is Using WashPo as a ‘Tool for Political Power’

http://www.mediaite.com/online/trump-jeff-bezos-is-using-washpo-as-a-tool-for-political-power/

Word salad warning ahead:

It is true that Amazon has a court case pending with the IRS and is also under scrutiny of the EU over how they organized their international tax structure in particular their valuation of intercompany agreements related to the operation they opened in Luxembourg and allegedly used to avoid paying US and EU taxes. I am not sure whether what Amazon has done is illegal or not, but remember that tax evasion is a crime, tax avoidance is not.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/18/revealed-project-goldcrest-amazon-avoid-huge-sums-tax

But also remember that Trump himself has said “I pay as little tax as possible”.  No wonder he says he will not release his tax returns…..

Also Trump seems to not understand what anti-trust means or the meaning of a monopoly with respect to the separate issue of US corporate taxation of companies that operate internationally. Most companies that operate internationally structure their subsidiaries in such a way as to avoid double corporate taxation.

It sounds to me very much like a not so veiled threat from Trump to Bezos – “print anything about me in the WP that I don’t like and when I’m POTUS I’ll go after your company Amazon using the full force of the government and go after you for anti-trust”.

So many words and not a complete sentence nor a coherent thought anywhere...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:58:11 am by Gov Bean Counter »
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 12:01:29 pm »
Fits nicely with his ideas to" Open up" libel laws.

I was on record (at TOS) of being willing to stand by and see if Trump would/could leave off the crazy talk and personal vendettas and bully boy tactics.

It is surely a vain hope.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 12:38:01 pm »
I am for using anti-trust to break up the globalist run, anti-American phoney press. When less then 6 CEOs control 90 percent of the media its not a free press - its an information control system.

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6
http://yournewswire.com/nearly-all-scientific-papers-controlled-by-same-six-corporations/
http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/guideDesc.asp?type=media

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 01:34:32 pm »
I am for using anti-trust to break up the globalist run, anti-American phoney press. When less then 6 CEOs control 90 percent of the media its not a free press - its an information control system.

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6
http://yournewswire.com/nearly-all-scientific-papers-controlled-by-same-six-corporations/

So I take it you want the Government to tax companies like Amazon...
So I take it you hate the concept of the Freedom of the Press and Freedom of the Speech...

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 01:38:46 pm »
....so that the politicians in Washington don't tax Amazon like they should be taxed....

I'm just going to leave that right there.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 01:45:14 pm »
I am for using anti-trust to break up the globalist run, anti-American phoney press. When less then 6 CEOs control 90 percent of the media its not a free press - its an information control system.....

Wow... thank you for providing a perfect example of the big government authoritarian thinking that has been infecting the Right that so many of us have been worried about. That really doesn't even need a response. That should send chills down the spine of any small government Conservative and Libertarian.

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 01:48:49 pm »
I'm just going to leave that right there.

Why are all the Trumpdavidians worried? I'm sure the big-government loving presumptive narcississt-in-chief is squeaky clean < /sarcasm>  888what
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:49:51 pm by BigHomer »
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 01:55:03 pm »

Typical statist solution. The liberty solution is MORE speech; not attacking existing speech!

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 01:56:28 pm »

So I take it you want the Government to tax companies like Amazon...
So I take it you hate the concept of the Freedom of the Press and Freedom of the Speech...
So I take it you want USSR type press to tell you what to think.
Do I want the companies taxed? No. I hold Business undergrads and know your little trap. I would like to see the Owner of Amazon personally have to pay the same tax rates as I do on all of his OWN wealth creation he has coming in.

We do not have freedom of the Press nor freedom of speech now. We have 6 mostly foreign CEOs setting the information filters for over 90 percent of American Media and Science publications and we do not have the free Expression of of religion, association etc, now.

I am a constitutionalist; I know that we do not have Freedom of the Press nor free speech now and its getting worse. One of the reasons is the Globalist controlled information oligopolies we have now.

"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 02:01:26 pm »
Wow... thank you for providing a perfect example of the big government authoritarian thinking that has been infecting the Right that so many of us have been worried about. That really doesn't even need a response. That should send chills down the spine of any small government Conservative and Libertarian.

So Free market competition of the press is Big Government now? We do not have a free press now. If we had them competing we would.  6 mostly foreign Globalist CEOS control it now, That's not a free press. Anti-Trust is how ATT was broken up, Shell was broken up, Its to create competition. Competition  in the press will go a long way to obtaining small government. We do not have any effective competition in the press now  Mostly the Alt media, but not in the MSM.

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 04:22:27 pm »
Typical statist solution. The liberty solution is MORE speech; not attacking existing speech!

Sounds like Bernie would have been a fall back to Trump for Trumpdavidians if the big-government loving statist presumptive narcissist-in-chief hadn't won the nomination  ****sheep****
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:23:56 pm by BigHomer »
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 04:25:43 pm »
Anybody doubt the first thing Trump would do if elected is sic the IRS on Bezos?

And here I thought the GOP was opposed to using the IRS for political targeting.

Trumpkins are so funny.....and damned hypocritical.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:26:00 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 04:28:15 pm »
Anybody doubt the first thing Trump would do if elected is sic the IRS on Bezos?

And here I thought the GOP was opposed to using the IRS for political targeting.

Trumpkins are so funny.....and damned hypocritical.

Just as long as our guy is using the IRS it is OK.. Well not OK for me.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 04:45:12 pm »
Why does Donny have his panties in a bunch about the 20 investigative reporters? There is nothing to find, right? He said he doesn't ask God for forgiveness because he is perfect and never does anything that requires it.

Donny should welcome this investigation to show everyone how really awesome he is.

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 05:06:45 pm »

So how does this apply to Trump saying he wants to break up Amazon as a monopoly under anti-trust? Is Amazon.com a really a monopoly? Does owning the Washington Post make Bezos one of the 6 CEO’s controlling 90% of the media?  Is Trump calling for the breakup of the 6 corporations in your first link, like say NewsCorp?

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 05:12:32 pm »
When you can show he wants to break up Amazon get back to me. The issue was monopoly control of media. And Anti-trust was created for ensuring a competitive free market. Not one thing I saw said he was even concerned about the Amazon market place. It was about hiring 20 staff to create Trump attack pieces.

$neverTrump has powerful filters it seems to ensure they only hear and see what they want it to be not the truth.