Author Topic: House members introduce bill to limit ethanol blend in gasoline  (Read 1550 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
House members introduce bill to limit ethanol blend in gasoline

05/12/2016
By Nick Snow
OGJ Washington Editor

http://www.ogj.com/articles/2016/05/house-members-introduce-bill-to-limit-ethanol-blend-in-gasoline.html?cmpid=EnlDailyMay122016&eid=290980193&bid=1403668
Four US House members—Bill Flores (R-Tex.), Peter Welch (D-Vt.), Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), and Jim Costa (D-Calif.)—introduced legislation that would limit ethanol blended into motor fuels at 9.7% of projected gasoline demand as determined by the US Energy Information Administration.

HR 5180 also would require the US Environmental Protection Agency to meet its statutory deadlines under the federal Renewable Fuel Standard in setting annual renewable fuel quotas. Previous blend volumes would apply if the federal regulator failed to meet a deadline.

“Market conditions have dramatically changed since 2005 and 2007, when Congress created and subsequently expanded the RFS. Since that time, gasoline demand has fallen and is well below the volumes implied by the ethanol mandates in the 2007 statute,” said Flores, the bill’s primary sponsor, following its introduction on May 10.

(Excerpt) More at:

http://www.ogj.com/articles/2016/05/house-members-introduce-bill-to-limit-ethanol-blend-in-gasoline.html?cmpid=EnlDailyMay122016&eid=290980193&bid=1403668
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: House members introduce bill to limit ethanol blend in gasoline
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 11:49:26 pm »
House members introduce bill to limit ethanol blend in gasoline

05/12/2016
By Nick Snow
OGJ Washington Editor

Four US House members—Bill Flores (R-Tex.), Peter Welch (D-Vt.), Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), and Jim Costa (D-Calif.)—introduced legislation that would limit ethanol blended into motor fuels at 9.7% of projected gasoline demand as determined by the US Energy Information Administration.

HR 5180 also would require the US Environmental Protection Agency to meet its statutory deadlines under the federal Renewable Fuel Standard in setting annual renewable fuel quotas. Previous blend volumes would apply if the federal regulator failed to meet a deadline.

“Market conditions have dramatically changed since 2005 and 2007, when Congress created and subsequently expanded the RFS. Since that time, gasoline demand has fallen and is well below the volumes implied by the ethanol mandates in the 2007 statute,” said Flores, the bill’s primary sponsor, following its introduction on May 10.

(Excerpt) More at:

I guess we should be encouraged by seeing both parties sponsoring the bill.

Not too hopeful, though as I saw that the Senate overwhelmingly passed an Appropriations Energy bill that was for more $ than even Obama requested.  http://dailysignal.com/2016/05/12/first-senate-appropriations-bill-passed-spends-more-than-obama-requested/
Disgraceful.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 02:20:48 am »
I guess we should be encouraged by seeing both parties sponsoring the bill.

Not too hopeful, though as I saw that the Senate overwhelmingly passed an Appropriations Energy bill that was for more $ than even Obama requested.  http://dailysignal.com/2016/05/12/first-senate-appropriations-bill-passed-spends-more-than-obama-requested/
Disgraceful.
The real problem here is that the economy is doing so well that fuel sales are down, and the amount of Ethanol that must be blended in is a given quantity, not a percentage. That puts fuel mixtures close to the "blend wall" where it will be unsafe fuel for all but flex fuel vehicles.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 06:37:59 pm »
The real problem here is that the economy is doing so well that fuel sales are down, and the amount of Ethanol that must be blended in is a given quantity, not a percentage. That puts fuel mixtures close to the "blend wall" where it will be unsafe fuel for all but flex fuel vehicles.

All that ethanol kills 2 cycle engines.

I just got another 15 gallons of ethanol-free 92 octane at my neighborhood feed store today.......
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 07:59:40 pm »
All that ethanol kills 2 cycle engines.

I just got another 15 gallons of ethanol-free 92 octane at my neighborhood feed store today.......
I run all my vehicles on E0. It is more expensive, but my chainsaw, my surviving lawnmower (of 3), my surviving other small engines thank me. My father gave up commercial fishing last year, (in his 80s), but part of the reason was an outboard failure a mile offshore because of E10. In their area of the tidewater he cannot get no ethanol gasoline, not even at the marinas, and the fuel systems in his outboard motors were getting wrecked on an annual basis.

C S Lewis

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 09:37:51 pm »
I run all my vehicles on E0. It is more expensive, but my chainsaw, my surviving lawnmower (of 3), my surviving other small engines thank me. My father gave up commercial fishing last year, (in his 80s), but part of the reason was an outboard failure a mile offshore because of E10. In their area of the tidewater he cannot get no ethanol gasoline, not even at the marinas, and the fuel systems in his outboard motors were getting wrecked on an annual basis.

It was 90 cents more per gallon than the E10 I put in my truck, but worth every penny.

The owner of the feed store told me he makes more money off selling his 92 octane than all the rest of his feed business combined.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 11:07:28 pm »
It was 90 cents more per gallon than the E10 I put in my truck, but worth every penny.

The owner of the feed store told me he makes more money off selling his 92 octane than all the rest of his feed business combined.
Although we just had an oil boom, and a major infusion of cash into farming operations around these parts who had retained their Mineral Rights, a huge number of farm vehicles are still older trucks, pickups, and older to vintage tractors. That isn't counting the small engines used. No surprise the E0 sells so well in that location.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 12:17:00 am »
I'm glad to see Bill Flores do something useful.