Author Topic: Exxon scrambles to contain climate crusade  (Read 1737 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Exxon scrambles to contain climate crusade
« on: May 09, 2016, 01:03:24 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/exxon-climate-campaign-222920

Exxon scrambles to contain climate crusade

A green campaign to make the company pay for climate change is besieging the oil industry and its conservative allies.

By Andrew Restuccia and Elana Schor

05/09/16 05:28 AM EDT

On Nov. 3, ExxonMobil dispatched its top lobbyists to Capitol Hill on an urgent mission — tamping down an escalating campaign aimed at making the country’s largest oil company pay a legal and political price for its role in warming the planet.

The meeting marked a striking shift in Exxon’s handling of the controversy. The notion of holding oil companies responsible for global warming, in the same way tobacco companies had to pay billions of dollars in damages over the health effects of cigarettes, had long been seen as a quixotic quest led by scruffy, oil-hating extremists. But POLITICO’s interviews with dozens of activists, industry officials and lawmakers suggest that support for a legal crusade against Exxon is growing far beyond the political fringe — and now poses the biggest existential threat the company has faced in decades.

Just five days before the meeting on Capitol Hill, Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton had urged the Justice Department to investigate whether the petroleum giant spent decades deceiving the public about the threat of climate change. State attorneys general had Exxon in their sights as well, preparing to issue subpoenas that would eventually rope in virtually all of Washington’s conservative policy apparatus. A four-year effort by green activists, scientists and lawyers to turn Big Oil’s biggest player into the poster child for climate change — deliberately patterned after the successful campaign to take down tobacco — was shaking the descendant of John D. Rockefeller’s Standard Oil empire to its core.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/exxon-climate-campaign-222920#ixzz48ABsJpi4
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Exxon scrambles to contain climate crusade
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 05:59:59 am »
Wow. A true confluence of grifters. From the ecowhackos to the 'climate changers' to the tort lawyers, that's a trifecta of dollar sucking parasites if ever there was one.

I wonder if they will arrive to testify on chartered aircraft and ride in limos...

They will no doubt ignore every possible benefit of the myriad products made from oil and concentrate on alleged and specious evils.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:04:13 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 12:37:31 pm »
Wow. A true confluence of grifters. From the ecowhackos to the 'climate changers' to the tort lawyers, that's a trifecta of dollar sucking parasites if ever there was one.

I wonder if they will arrive to testify on chartered aircraft and ride in limos...

They will no doubt ignore every possible benefit of the myriad products made from oil and concentrate on alleged and specious evils.

And absolutely no value contribution to society, just exploitation and degradation.

BTW, what are you doing up at 2 am posting?  I thought you still worked.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 03:48:25 pm »
And absolutely no value contribution to society, just exploitation and degradation.

BTW, what are you doing up at 2 am posting?  I thought you still worked.
Recovering from surgery, up at odd times. Work is pretty much shut down for now--one rig too many in the weeds. (approx. 90% of the rigs from the regional high count have been stacked).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 06:33:42 pm »
Recovering from surgery, up at odd times. Work is pretty much shut down for now--one rig too many in the weeds. (approx. 90% of the rigs from the regional high count have been stacked).

Hope the recovery of your health and career improve.....
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 08:04:56 pm »
Hope the recovery of your health and career improve.....
Thank you!

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 12:59:00 am »
Recovering from surgery

God be with you.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 09:48:18 am »
God be with you.
Thanks! So far so good!

C S Lewis

Offline Leto

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 12:15:48 pm »
The Competitive Enterprise is striking back against these dirtbags:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/05/16/fighting-back-cei-asks-court-to-fine-ag-walker-based-on-bad-faith-and-dc-anti-slapp-law/

The Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI) today asked the District of Columbia Superior Court to fine U.S. Virgin Islands Attorney General Claude E. Walker (AG Walker) for violating the organization’s First Amendment rights under the District of Columbia’s Anti-SLAPP law, and for attorneys’ fees and other sanctions. According to an email from AG Walker’s attorney received by CEI late Friday, May 13, AG Walker plans to abandon his D.C. subpoena legal action demanding a decade’s worth of CEI’s work on climate policy within “the next 5 court days,” but also threatens to bring a new lawsuit at any time to enforce the subpoena. This means that regardless of AG Walker’s latest plan, the subpoena still exists. CEI contends that it should never have been issued and the constitutional damage it inflicted needs to be righted.

more at the link.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters