Author Topic: Militants attack Chevron oil facility in Nigeria, shut down  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
http://www.pennenergy.com/articles/pennenergy/2016/05/militants-attack-chevron-oil-facility-in-nigeria-shut-down.html

Militants attack Chevron oil facility in Nigeria, shut down
May 6, 2016

Hilary Uguru, Associated Press

WARRI, Nigeria (AP) — Armed militants attacked a major Chevron oil and gas facility off Nigeria's southern coast, the military said Friday, and the U.S.-based multinational said it was forced to shut production there but its exports will continue.

A new group called the Niger Delta Avengers said it bombed Chevron's Okan platform on Wednesday and warned international companies that "the Nigerian military can't protect your facilities."

"This is what we promised the Nigeria government. Since they have refused to listen to us, we are going to bring the country's economy to zero," a statement said, threatening more attacks including in Abuja, the capital, and Lagos, the commercial center.

Security forces launched an offensive this year after militants renewed attacks ...(more at link)

http://www.pennenergy.com/articles/pennenergy/2016/05/militants-attack-chevron-oil-facility-in-nigeria-shut-down.html
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Re: Militants attack Chevron oil facility in Nigeria, shut down
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 03:17:01 am »
Production facilities aren't built to be hardened targets.  Same outfit as below:
(See also):

Niger Delta Avengers Blow Up Oil Pipelines To Kaduna, Warri Refineries

http://saharareporters.com/2016/05/06/niger-delta-avengers-blow-oil-pipelines-kaduna-warri-refineries%E2%80%8E

"This is a clear warning to all Niger Delta politicians, traditional rulers, community leaders and the likes of Tompolo to mind their business and leave the liberation of the Niger Delta people to the Avengers... Neither you nor the federal government can stop us. If you don’t stay clear and let us carry out our activities, we will bring the fight to your individual doorsteps. Our major goal is to cripple the Nigerian economy."  >snip<

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 12:33:41 pm »
Production facilities aren't built to be hardened targets.  Same outfit as below:
(See also):

Niger Delta Avengers Blow Up Oil Pipelines To Kaduna, Warri Refineries

http://saharareporters.com/2016/05/06/niger-delta-avengers-blow-oil-pipelines-kaduna-warri-refineries%E2%80%8E

"This is a clear warning to all Niger Delta politicians, traditional rulers, community leaders and the likes of Tompolo to mind their business and leave the liberation of the Niger Delta people to the Avengers... Neither you nor the federal government can stop us. If you don’t stay clear and let us carry out our activities, we will bring the fight to your individual doorsteps. Our major goal is to cripple the Nigerian economy."  >snip<

I recall in my old Texaco days when we made our platform locations designed specifically to be outside artillery shelling range.  Heard a harrowing experience from one foreman whose platform was hijacked and he was forced to swim to safety to a nearby navy ship.

Nigeria made my bucket list of places not to visit a long time ago.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 12:38:23 pm »
I recall in my old Texaco days when we made our platform locations designed specifically to be outside artillery shelling range.  Heard a harrowing experience from one foreman whose platform was hijacked and he was forced to swim to safety to a nearby navy ship.

Nigeria made my bucket list of places not to visit a long time ago.
I had an opportunity in the early 80s, and almost went. Glad I didn't, actually. I'm too tall and fishbelly white to be standing around on shore in the middle of a coup...

C S Lewis

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 01:05:44 pm »
I had an opportunity in the early 80s, and almost went. Glad I didn't, actually. I'm too tall and fishbelly white to be standing around on shore in the middle of a coup...

Yeah, Thackney and I awhile back swapped stories on pulling back from overseas ventures at same time in same place as well years ago.....

@thackney
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 02:20:47 pm »
Yeah, Thackney and I awhile back swapped stories on pulling back from overseas ventures at same time in same place as well years ago.....

@thackney

Back when I was more young, invincible and stupid.  I decided to drive through a beginning protest/riot in Yemen to get back in the compound.

After one of them stuck a metal wrapped club through my window, I agreed with him, whatever he was saying, and left to hang out in the production plant until they were done.

September 11, 2001, my wife and I were in the Saudi Aramco building in Houston, going through orientation to move our family to Saudi.  Plans changed...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:21:42 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 03:08:39 pm »

September 11, 2001, my wife and I were in the Saudi Aramco building in Houston, going through orientation to move our family to Saudi.  Plans changed...

And my wife and I already had our flight arrangements, visa and medical to go there while you were interviewing.  We got smart too.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 09:14:47 pm »
And my wife and I already had our flight arrangements, visa and medical to go there while you were interviewing.  We got smart too.
and @thackney You guys make me glad I stuck with working CONUS, although I would have gone to AK any time.  :laugh:

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 10:10:14 pm »
and @thackney You guys make me glad I stuck with working CONUS, although I would have gone to AK any time.  :laugh:

4 years in Alaska with the family.  It was good for all of us.

Great place to visit.  A hard place to stay and grow old.  Those walking canes with the flip down ice pick just looked like a broken hip waiting to happen.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 11:32:04 pm »

But instead I went to another third world place called California.  At least I felt safe and ate some delicious fruit and watched some as well.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 02:06:42 am »
But instead I went to another third world place called California.  At least I felt safe and ate some delicious fruit and watched some as well.
Yeah. I spent a career wandering the Rockies and Northern Plains. Please Bre'r Fox! Don' throw me in dat brier patch!  :laugh:

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 02:08:03 am »
4 years in Alaska with the family.  It was good for all of us.

Great place to visit.  A hard place to stay and grow old.  Those walking canes with the flip down ice pick just looked like a broken hip waiting to happen.
I didn't go to Alaska for one reason--I would have stayed there. That would not have been all bad, but with a lot of kinfolk in the lower 48, it would have been harder to get there.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 02:47:36 am »
I didn't go to Alaska for one reason--I would have stayed there. That would not have been all bad, but with a lot of kinfolk in the lower 48, it would have been harder to get there.

It was beautiful, but we had snow for 8 months each year there.  Clearing the driveway that often does get old.