Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 422226 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #2200 on: October 05, 2019, 07:40:19 pm »
The Expanse Season 4 Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jc76QrX5Vg
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2201 on: October 14, 2019, 02:47:33 am »
‘Babylon 5’ Reunion 2020 — Is It Happening?

Rumors of a Babylon 5 reunion had the internet in a frenzy on Sunday (October 13) as reports claimed that PTEN confirmed a revival of the popular sitcom for 2020.

UPDATE 14/10/2019 : This story seems to be false. (read more)

Can you believe it's been 26 years since Babylon 5 first aired?! (26 years, 7 months, 22 days to be exact.)

https://en.mediamass.net/culture/babylon-5/reunion.html

The Republic is lost.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #2202 on: October 14, 2019, 03:11:30 am »

Rumors of a Babylon 5 reunion had the internet in a frenzy on Sunday (October 13) as reports claimed that PTEN confirmed a revival of the popular sitcom for 2020.

Can you believe it's been 26 years since Babylon 5 first aired?! (26 years, 7 months, 22 days to be exact.)

Curious they refer to it as a 'sitcom'.

I didn't make it through an entire episode, but I never got the impression from others that it was supposed to be comedy.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #2203 on: October 14, 2019, 03:13:17 am »

Sitcom?  :wtf:

My first thought on reading the headline (before I got to the update) was, how can they have a reunion, half the main cast are dead.  :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2204 on: October 14, 2019, 09:00:45 am »
Curious they refer to it as a 'sitcom'.

I didn't make it through an entire episode, but I never got the impression from others that it was supposed to be comedy.
Sitcom? Either they didn't see the show, or their autocorrect jumped up and bit them in a spot the editor didn't look.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2205 on: October 14, 2019, 02:51:54 pm »
Sitcom?  :wtf:

@Ghost Bear

I'm betting the money men,the cast,and the writers are not real happy with that one.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #2206 on: October 14, 2019, 02:59:45 pm »
@sneakypete you're probably right about that. The show did have it's funny moments, but comedy wasn't the focus of the show...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Let it burn.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2207 on: October 14, 2019, 03:43:59 pm »
Star Trek Piccard Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FySrgrKJguE

I am afraid to watch, as I am almost 100% sure Roddenberry, Jr. and Patrick Stewart are going to make this a SJW Puke-fest
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2208 on: October 28, 2019, 09:12:01 am »
The Expanse Season 4 Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jc76QrX5Vg

The Expanse Season 4 Release Date, Trailer, Cast, and Other News
With The Expanse season 4 coming at the end of the year, we've got all the news surrounding the show's move to Amazon Prime Video.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-expanse/273399/the-expanse-season-4-release-date-and-other-news
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #2209 on: October 30, 2019, 05:45:16 pm »
Anybody here tried the 2005 Charlie Jade on Prime - similar premise to Counterpart? I watched 3 eps and would have continued except the frenetically jerky camera work gave me a raging headache.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2210 on: November 05, 2019, 02:27:43 pm »
Anybody here tried the 2005 Charlie Jade on Prime - similar premise to Counterpart? I watched 3 eps and would have continued except the frenetically jerky camera work gave me a raging headache.

I tried to watch it when it was on the SciFi channel.. Blech..

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2211 on: November 05, 2019, 02:28:46 pm »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2212 on: November 15, 2019, 02:55:55 pm »
FYI, the last season of The Man in the High Castle is now streaming.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2213 on: November 15, 2019, 03:47:08 pm »

Hurray!!!! Pass the  :pop41:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #2214 on: November 15, 2019, 06:09:19 pm »

Someday I'm going to check that out. I wasn't impressed with the book but from what I've heard the show sounds pretty good...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2215 on: November 15, 2019, 06:18:45 pm »
Someday I'm going to check that out. I wasn't impressed with the book but from what I've heard the show sounds pretty good...

@Snarknado

I tried to watch the first season,but kept falling asleep.

Maybe I will give it a chance again?

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #2216 on: November 15, 2019, 06:23:11 pm »
@Snarknado

I tried to watch the first season,but kept falling asleep.

Maybe I will give it a chance again?

@sneakypete , I would suggest you give it another try. As I recall, the first season had a slow build to a pretty good finish, and the second season kept building from there. By the middle of the second season I couldn't stop watching it.
Let it burn.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2217 on: November 15, 2019, 06:28:52 pm »
@sneakypete , I would suggest you give it another try. As I recall, the first season had a slow build to a pretty good finish, and the second season kept building from there. By the middle of the second season I couldn't stop watching it.

@Ghost Bear

Thanks for the tip! I can trudge through the slop if I know there is a reward at the end.

Offline verga

« Reply #2218 on: November 16, 2019, 03:05:27 am »
@Snarknado, @sneakypete The first half of the first season is confusing as all get out, but after that I loved it. Wife and i binge watched it.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2219 on: November 18, 2019, 02:23:04 am »
I have read that there are 2 unique American art forms.  Jazz and Comic Books.  I like them both but I'm a comic nerd above all and I see Superheroes as modern day American myths.  I started reading comics in the late 60's and I grew up watching Batman with Adam West, Wonder Woman with Linda Carter and the Hulk with Bill Bixby on TV.  I saw Christopher Reeves fly and Jack Nicholson bring the Joker to life.
A decade later live action films would bring Blade, Spiderman, the X-men and ultimate Batman film "The Dark Knght!"
A decade later Marvel would release the greatest Super Hero movies of all time including Iron Man, Avengers, Captain American Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America Civil War, Thor Ragnarok.  Avengers infinity War, and Avengers Endgame.

Also during this time Marvel produced some of the greatest Super Hero Television with Daredevil 1 and 2, Jessica Jones, and the Punisher.

Sadly some of the worst dreck ever created has also been produced in the last 10 years.  The DC TV universe is mired in woke, and their feature films are a mixed bag of mediocre (Aquaman, Suicide Squad)

Marvel's Phase 4 announcements leave me unimpressed.  Other than the next season of "The Boys" on Amazon I'm not seeing much to look forward too for superhero fans.

What say you?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2220 on: November 18, 2019, 03:56:30 pm »
I have read that there are 2 unique American art forms.  Jazz and Comic Books.  I like them both but I'm a comic nerd above all and I see Superheroes as modern day American myths.  I started reading comics in the late 60's and I grew up watching Batman with Adam West, Wonder Woman with Linda Carter and the Hulk with Bill Bixby on TV.  I saw Christopher Reeves fly and Jack Nicholson bring the Joker to life.
A decade later live action films would bring Blade, Spiderman, the X-men and ultimate Batman film "The Dark Knght!"
A decade later Marvel would release the greatest Super Hero movies of all time including Iron Man, Avengers, Captain American Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America Civil War, Thor Ragnarok.  Avengers infinity War, and Avengers Endgame.

Also during this time Marvel produced some of the greatest Super Hero Television with Daredevil 1 and 2, Jessica Jones, and the Punisher.

Sadly some of the worst dreck ever created has also been produced in the last 10 years.  The DC TV universe is mired in woke, and their feature films are a mixed bag of mediocre (Aquaman, Suicide Squad)

Marvel's Phase 4 announcements leave me unimpressed.  Other than the next season of "The Boys" on Amazon I'm not seeing much to look forward too for superhero fans.

What say you?
It's always a game of 'Can you top this' in the superhero genre, but when once straight characters turn gay, well, you lost me. The 'wokeness' is a definite no-go. Marvel reached its pinnacle with Stan Lee, and I doubt there will be another. His superhumans were ultimately, human, too. That is part of the allure they hold for budding Homo Sapiens, and adult forms of the species alike. Unfortunately, The Rat has reared, and I doubt the genre will be the same--along with the Star Wars franchise. While spinoff marketing has ever been important, my guess is that with Disney the creativity will drop and the merchandising will step to the fore.

While "The Boys" is a mite disturbing considering the whole conditioning of the reader/viewer to see superheroes as, well, heroes, it is a fresh twist on the topic and gets points for being creative, even if chewing at the feet of a previously iconic class of character. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 04:00:47 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2221 on: November 18, 2019, 11:47:37 pm »
Well, I binged watch The Man in High Castle, and it was good. In the final episode, there are more questions than answers.  I'm not going to say anything more.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2222 on: November 18, 2019, 11:48:27 pm »
Here is another trailer of The Expanse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFdzpVt5rbk, it starts December 13th.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2223 on: November 19, 2019, 11:56:12 pm »
It's always a game of 'Can you top this' in the superhero genre, but when once straight characters turn gay, well, you lost me. The 'wokeness' is a definite no-go. Marvel reached its pinnacle with Stan Lee, and I doubt there will be another. His superhumans were ultimately, human, too. That is part of the allure they hold for budding Homo Sapiens, and adult forms of the species alike. Unfortunately, The Rat has reared, and I doubt the genre will be the same--along with the Star Wars franchise. While spinoff marketing has ever been important, my guess is that with Disney the creativity will drop and the merchandising will step to the fore.

While "The Boys" is a mite disturbing considering the whole conditioning of the reader/viewer to see superheroes as, well, heroes, it is a fresh twist on the topic and gets points for being creative, even if chewing at the feet of a previously iconic class of character.
@Smokin Joe
Thanx for the reply

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2224 on: November 20, 2019, 12:00:26 am »
@Smokin Joe
Thanx for the reply
Rational posts deserve rational replies. You're a smart guy, so why not talk about things other than politics?

There is always common ground among intelligent people, sometimes broad, sometimes narrow, but there, nonetheless. 

C S Lewis